PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

my third 256
30th September 2017, 08:52 AM
who needs a demister when you have those awsome vents

jay see
8th October 2017, 02:31 PM
Brakes while watching bathurst [emoji41]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/39.jpg

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Yeti's Beast
8th October 2017, 07:40 PM
Took the throttle body off the ZD30 today and was surprised that there wasn’t that much gunk in there. I believe it’s the first time it’s been cleaned. Carefully cleaned what I could from the intake and removed the flap off the swirl valve. Egr is already blocked. Don’t know if it’s my imagination but I think it goes better

[emoji106][emoji6][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bacho86
21st October 2017, 07:56 PM
Been chasing a coolant leak for the last couple days, and finally tracked it down to a small section of cracked hose joiner, now just gotta work out which part it is - think it's one of these two:

http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30di-egr-heater-hose/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30di-egr-heater-hose

http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30-heater-hose-to-water-pump/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30-heater-hose-to-water-pump

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/79.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacho86
21st October 2017, 07:59 PM
Also took of my recovery points off that were looking a little bit sad and prepped them up for a quick spray

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/81.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/82.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/83.jpg

PeeBee
22nd October 2017, 08:49 PM
I did a river crossing today, exactly the same way I have crossed this river over 50 times, and had 6 out of 8 blades fracture on the fan hub and have scored the radiator, but its not leaking. Extreme shuddering and vibration at 2000rpm, but being a coolish day, didn't affect the engine temps. Looking for a new tougher fan blade system and will use a radiator shroud next time. the GU patrol , a hilux7350673505 and a Terrano that followed and did exactly the same crossing, without shrouds, came thru fine. the fan blades are 3000klm old. Not happy.

GQtdauto
22nd October 2017, 08:53 PM
Shitty batch of fan blades maybe ?

PeeBee
22nd October 2017, 08:55 PM

Reckon the material is too hard/brittle and they are also too close to the core to allow for any deflection. I have not put a ruler in it yet to gauge the differences with the other vehicles. Could have been disastrous based on the tough climb out to the road and a recovery would have been complicated to a point where it could be towed home if it overheated.

PeeBee
23rd October 2017, 05:05 PM

Rang BD today and they say the blade if off a standard toyota 1HZ, so they are going to replace it with a 3F fan blade - apparently tougher - time will tell.

AB
23rd October 2017, 05:58 PM
Took it on an epic adventure through the high country for a long weekend with friends.

Perfect weather, perfect company, really good tracks, climbs, river crossings, etc!

Loved the new diffs, went up a pretty hard section in particular with full articulation on all sides, short but steep climb and no scrubbing which was a surprise!

My handbrake cable snapped on a morning start for some reason which was strange but a flawless weekend nonetheless.

starting to get used to the new diffs, I like a lot!

Bacho86
26th October 2017, 12:30 PM
I've left it like this for the last 2 days, absolute PITA to try and get this hose on. Tried wd40, heat, brute force etc. wife is out tonight, so once kids are in bed I'll give it another crack

Damaged hose removed
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/113.jpg

Progress of installing new pipe lol... it's a staged process!!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/114.jpg

Hodge
26th October 2017, 12:36 PM
I've left it like this for the last 2 days, absolute PITA to try and get this hose on. Tried wd40, heat, brute force etc. wife is out tonight, so once kids are in bed I'll give it another crack

Damaged hose removed
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/113.jpg

Progress of installing new pipe lol... it's a staged process!!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/114.jpg

Had to replace same hose mate my crd.
Had a tub of really hot water next to me. New hose dipped in for 5--10 mins.
Slipped straight on to the left pipe and then back onto the second metal pipe.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

PeeBee
26th October 2017, 12:36 PM
That sure is ugly, good luck!

Bacho86
26th October 2017, 01:22 PM
Had to replace same hose mate my crd.
Had a tub of really hot water next to me. New hose dipped in for 5--10 mins.
Slipped straight on to the left pipe and then back onto the second metal pipe.

Ah ok,
I might try slipping it "up" the pipe on the left then! Thanks for the suggestion!

That sure is ugly, good luck!

Yeh cheers Phil lol

Avo
26th October 2017, 06:21 PM
new slotted disc on the front,pads front and rear and a new Deisel Smart Intercooler....

Mc4by
26th October 2017, 07:52 PM
new slotted disc on the front,pads front and rear and a new Deisel Smart Intercooler....

I have been putting off installing new rotors and pads on the front of my truck as it looked quite daunting. Was it straight forward?

Avo
26th October 2017, 08:14 PM
I have been putting off installing new rotors and pads on the front of my truck as it looked quite daunting. Was it straight forward?

couldn't tell ya matey,sent it to a mate

BigJ
27th October 2017, 09:27 AM
Getting 3" Exhaust and ECU remap today on the GU, hopefully all goes well.

jay see
27th October 2017, 04:24 PM
Something that I started along time ago.
Some removable dividers.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/116.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/117.jpg

mudski
27th October 2017, 08:27 PM
Rang the workshop and asked when I may see my Patrol again. Lol.

Rossco
27th October 2017, 08:32 PM
Rang the workshop and asked when I may see my Patrol again. Lol.What's getting done? . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

mudski
27th October 2017, 08:52 PM
What's getting done? . .

Its a bit sick. Tis' all I will say.

Avo
27th October 2017, 08:55 PM
Its a bit sick. Tis' all I will say.

did it find you'[re jacks satsh

Rossco
27th October 2017, 09:07 PM
Its a bit sick. Tis' all I will say.Hmm no good, hope it's better soon . . .

jay see
27th October 2017, 09:28 PM
Rang the workshop and asked when I may see my Patrol again. Lol.Sick.
Needing more power....

mudski
27th October 2017, 09:47 PM
Sick.
Needing more power....

Nah its got more than enough John.

Bidja
30th October 2017, 09:39 PM
ECU Post Refresh arrived back home today from ECPT. Put it in veh this arvo (08 CRD full NADS/3.1 Tonne not camped up) set max B to 21psi adjusting needle on the fly getting 6-7 psi drop @ 2500 RPM / 100ks cruise, good run so far thru varied drive states over an approx 100km run (good egts, good spool rate and pwr response). Very pleased so far more fine tuning to happen. John

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 06:23 PM
Installed a higher performance fan than arrived home with after the trip into Burgoynes Gap crossing the McAlister River. The new one is an 8 blade genuine Toyota 3F motor fan, to replace the 7 blade after market Toyota 1HZ fan. 3F unit feels heavier and tougher.73592

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 06:27 PM
Finished the pre stra7359373594iner for the fuel tanks to take out the scale and rusty bits before they hit the booster pump and its pre filter. The strainer has a 100 micron filter screen, its a Scintex unit, cost $89 off ebay. Its fitted with a 12V heater band, 100w, for use one our snow trips only to stop the wax congealing, - yes even the fuel conditioner didn't help this last time. It mounts up under the floorpan between the two fuel tanks.

GQtdauto
2nd November 2017, 06:33 PM
Adjusted the rear view mirror and it ended up on the floor , bugger !

Rossco
2nd November 2017, 06:34 PM
Installed a higher performance fan than arrived home with after the trip into Burgoynes Gap crossing the McAlister River. The new one is an 8 blade genuine Toyota 3F motor fan, to replace the 7 blade after market Toyota 1HZ fan. 3F unit feels heavier and tougher.73592Ouch ! That ones rooted. . . Mine was looking similar after dirty bog holes at wombat, was missing every second blade tho and was still balanced. . . How was the vibration with that one ?

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 06:42 PM
Ouch ! That ones rooted. . . Mine was looking similar after dirty bog holes at wombat, was missing every second blade tho and was still balanced. . . How was the vibration with that one ?

Oddly smooth up to about 1800rpm, then the vibes increased to a max of say 2000rpm and the whole floor and steering column were shaking. Tried to drive thru it but at 2300rpm started to lose power, it was pretty severe. Will use the radiator blind next time, i bought it but as normal too lazy to fit it - not next time though!

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 06:43 PM
Adjusted the rear view mirror and it ended up on the floor , bugger !

I don't know why but I started laughing when i read this, just so typical of doing something simple and it turns to custard. Sorry about my reaction, still chuckling!

mudski
2nd November 2017, 07:56 PM
Picked the Patrol up today. Just from new squirters, and no retune, she gained nearly another 20rwkw from when it went in at 160rwkw and the afr's dropped significantly too. Also had a full comp test done and a few other things which added to the bill but its all done and goes great!

jack
2nd November 2017, 08:01 PM
Drove it 688km, another 529km tomorrow to reach our destination. Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary.

MB
2nd November 2017, 08:31 PM
.....Will use the radiator blind next time,....!

Can be quite annoying though I agree when crossing the same meandering river several times whilst our trucks work hard climbing in between and needing covers/blinds back off/on again for airflow.
Without going to the extent of trials & tribulations like my utes full electric isolation fans mate has anybody ever had success somehow adapting behind a viscous fan some type of electric on/off coupling for deep crossings? Kind of like how our trucks airconditioners work I guess meaning?

GQtdauto
2nd November 2017, 08:31 PM
Drove it 688km, another 529km tomorrow to reach our destination. Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary.

Overrated dump if you ask me , loved the rest of the flinders though .

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 08:35 PM
Can be quite annoying though I agree when crossing the same meandering river several times whilst our trucks work hard climbing in between and needing covers/blinds back off/on again for airflow.
Without going to the extent of trials & tribulations like my utes full electric isolation fans mate has anybody ever had success somehow adapting behind a viscous fan some type of electric on/off coupling for deep crossings? Kind of like how our trucks airconditioners work I guess meaning?

You really are related to YODA aren't you.

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 08:36 PM
Overrated dump if you ask me , loved the rest of the flinders though .

I agree, long way to go for not much I reckon. The telescope however is pretty special, on a clear night.

MB
2nd November 2017, 08:44 PM
You really are related to YODA aren't you.
I can’t believe your Ebay “We thought you might like this PeeBee” hasn’t featured one yet? :-)

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 08:46 PM
I can’t believe your Ebay “We thought you might like this PeeBee” hasn’t featured one yet? :-)

Done it again Mark, NO IDEA what you are on about!!!!

mudski
2nd November 2017, 08:54 PM
Done it again Mark, NO IDEA what you are on about!!!!

Yeah I'm trying to decipher that too. I suppose someone has to take over Threedogs role while he's away.

MB
2nd November 2017, 09:05 PM
Wow, I’m amazed you two don’t receive emails from them? Reckon I’ve made 1 purchase through Ebay in 24 months for Autobarn-USA thermostats and receive 24 emails each day suggesting items? Time to ‘Unsubscribe’ I guess is how it works :-)

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 09:09 PM
OK, now you revert to english - trying to confuse us?

Yes I get bombed 10 times a day from all angles and I do my bit and buy some of the crap they push, because, it needs to go in the truck and get lost. Still looking for my chainsaw bar I stuffed inside on the snow trip - no idea where it went so i bought 5 more just in case. EBAY is a health food I reckon, can't get enough!

MB
2nd November 2017, 09:20 PM
Ok great :-) Now can you please use your Platinum search function thingo and track us all down a simple electronically activated freespool to mechanical viscous hub coupling adaptor thingymebob ;-)

mudski
2nd November 2017, 09:46 PM
Ok great :-) Now can you please use your Platinum search function thingo and track us all down a simple electronically activated freespool to mechanical viscous hub coupling adaptor thingymebob ;-)

Theres a mob who make these, well air operated, for Trucks Mark. Norman G Clark is the mob and they reside in Heidelberg west. It might pay to give them a call mate and see what they can do.

MB
2nd November 2017, 09:52 PM
Good work Mr Mark mate!
As mentioned my utes finally sorted I hope with full electric fans easily switched off now. Reckon I’d take a different path like your lead above next time though :-)

mudski
2nd November 2017, 09:58 PM
Good work Mr Mark mate!
As mentioned my utes finally sorted I hope with full electric fans easily switched off now. Reckon I’d take a different path like your lead above next time though :-)

Yeah in a nutshell the pneumatic fan hub locks in and out using air, and work via a water temp sensor, and can also have an over ride switch too so you can manually switch it off or on.
I wouldn't mind seeing how two big electric thermo's would go on the TD.

MB
2nd November 2017, 10:06 PM
That’s Gold mate! Rebirthed Hi-Mounts freespool is running off air now also so would have been great exploring fan options too back then. I’d guesstimate thousands on electrics spent including upgrading most of basic needs like high amp alt to run all needs etc.....

PeeBee
2nd November 2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah in a nutshell the pneumatic fan hub locks in and out using air, and work via a water temp sensor, and can also have an over ride switch too so you can manually switch it off or on.

I am guessing you could use a 12v clutch like on an aircon compressor, probably easier as its only wires instead of airlines and solenoid valves?

MB
2nd November 2017, 10:27 PM
In a nutshell from my experiences I would suggest not to bother for an all rounder truck. It has been an expensive experiment with the 6.5 Chev that was soon found after purchase poorly second hand mechanical setup. It all appears working fine now and will suit my needs planned. Having owned TD’s and Mrs MB still in one they are a similar overheating beast to the Chev donk. FWIW -IMHO certainly do not consider full electric setup for heavy towing on high speed highways especially in high ambient temp climates around Australia.

GQtdauto
3rd November 2017, 12:06 PM
Fixed the rear view mirror and had a spare 15 minutes so installed a catch can and increased my torque by 210 newton metres .

PeeBee
3rd November 2017, 12:16 PM
Yes, have you been sitting in the sun a bit too long today?

GQtdauto
3rd November 2017, 12:22 PM
Yes, have you been sitting in the sun a bit too long today?

Damn I knew I should have used the pineapple tin !

Touses
3rd November 2017, 01:09 PM
Damn I knew I should have used the pineapple tin !

Catch can's gonna leak brother. You've installed it upside down. No worries Dom will be along to help for sure!

GQtdauto
3rd November 2017, 01:57 PM
Catch can's gonna leak brother. You've installed it upside down. No worries Dom will be along to help for sure!

Just took it for a quick spin and the catch can fell off , I thought it was supposed to catch something .
While torque was greatly improved the rattle drove me crazy so I had to remove it .

Touses
3rd November 2017, 02:14 PM
Just took it for a quick spin and the catch can fell off , I thought it was supposed to catch something .
While torque was greatly improved the rattle drove me crazy so I had to remove it .

All rattle no torque eh. RB30 is it? Common problem, good call removing it.

GQtdauto
3rd November 2017, 03:52 PM
All rattle no torque eh. RB30 is it? Common problem, good call removing it.

Nah it's a 4.2TD auto , it was fun spinning wheels on the 33" muddies when changing to overdrive I must admit !
Just rotated the tyres 180 degrees not forgetting the spare which was easy because you don't have to jack the car up to rotate the spare .
And am currently trying to change the halogen fluid in the head lights but given the cost and mucking around reckon I'd be better off waiting till they blow and buy a new light .

Bacho86
4th November 2017, 06:05 PM
Finally got around to fixing the heater hose... engine oil was the trick that worked for me with alota brute force!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/16.jpg

jay see
4th November 2017, 11:27 PM
I don't know why but I started laughing when i read this, just so typical of doing something simple and it turns to custard. Sorry about my reaction, still chuckling!Yeah me too.

Sorry.

jay see
4th November 2017, 11:28 PM
Oops..........

jay see
4th November 2017, 11:35 PM
Drove it 688km, another 529km tomorrow to reach our destination. Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary.Safe travels mate.

PeeBee
5th November 2017, 06:36 PM
Re-made the second alternator bracket so I could get better belt tension - works a treat now. Mounted the primary fuel strainer with heater under the truck. Removed the original second belt driven hydraulic pump for the front winch, free'd up some room for either the relocated ARB compressor or the endless air compressor - still dreaming up how this can work.

GQtdauto
5th November 2017, 06:38 PM
Where's the pics peebee ?

PeeBee
5th November 2017, 06:54 PM
OK, shamed into action!!! Couldn't get under the truck to show the actual strainer mount - too bloody late and truck is tucked up in bed in the garage.

GQtdauto
5th November 2017, 07:29 PM
Very noice , why twin alternators they make some pretty good upgraded units nowadays.

PeeBee
5th November 2017, 07:40 PM
I run a hyd winch on the front and a warn 15000lb on the rear via a big 200a/h battery, so the second unit is set up to pump the juice into the winch, plus my coffee machine! I run the driving light circuit off it as well as the LED bars run at 30V. The alternator supplied as standard with the Chev conversion is rated at 100a, and it struggles with voltage supply also - constant winge to brunswick diesels hasn't fixed the issue, so i went the second unit as it means I don't need to upgrade wiring for the existing circuits as well.

There is a 170a unit avail, MB has one fitted and it works well, but still requires some mods to fit. Lastly it also gives me some redundancy if one alternator fails - and yes it has happened to me on a trip, middle of winter, back of Omeo and miles from nowhere, very uncomfortable feeling, especially when some of the drive home would be in the dark.

4bye4
5th November 2017, 08:24 PM
Removed the plastic bumper cover and filled the dents. Sanded and primed it. Got up this morning and put 3 coats of base colour on, then buggered up the fourth and had to wait for it to dry, then sand and base coat again. Waited till it was dry this time then put on the gloss coat. Waited to dry then started to put it back on the car and scratched it. Took it off again, sanded, base coated and gloss coated. left it for tomorrow. Sitting down with Jim and ice now.

GQtdauto
5th November 2017, 08:48 PM
I run a hyd winch on the front and a warn 15000lb on the rear via a big 200a/h battery, so the second unit is set up to pump the juice into the winch, plus my coffee machine! I run the driving light circuit off it as well as the LED bars run at 30V. The alternator supplied as standard with the Chev conversion is rated at 100a, and it struggles with voltage supply also - constant winge to brunswick diesels hasn't fixed the issue, so i went the second unit as it means I don't need to upgrade wiring for the existing circuits as well.

There is a 170a unit avail, MB has one fitted and it works well, but still requires some mods to fit. Lastly it also gives me some redundancy if one alternator fails - and yes it has happened to me on a trip, middle of winter, back of Omeo and miles from nowhere, very uncomfortable feeling, especially when some of the drive home would be in the dark.

Like the redundancy idea , the one in the GQ went at pineapple flat , driving home it got dark and car was starting to slow down as volts dropped off , lucky I had a good dual battery but only just made it home .

mudski
7th November 2017, 09:13 PM
Washed the Patrol after spending a magnificent weekend doing this...

With old mate Sprock.

And sat down each night to this...
Thanks to Sprock, he had the fire covered before I could even set the swags up.

HuskyInAuz
8th November 2017, 10:45 AM
Down at Roadworthy centre trying to get satisfactory cert to rego in VIC vs NSW.
Been in storage for awhile and missed the old rear wiper, hopefully that won't fail the inspection though.

Winnie
8th November 2017, 11:56 AM
Down at Roadworthy centre trying to get satisfactory cert to rego in VIC vs NSW.
Been in storage for awhile and missed the old rear wiper, hopefully that won't fail the inspection though.Good to read from you mate. So you're back in Australia now?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hodge
8th November 2017, 01:36 PM
Washed the Patrol after spending a magnificent weekend doing this...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73636&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73637&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73638&stc=1

With old mate @Sprock (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=34974).
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73640&stc=1

And sat down each night to this...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73642&stc=1
Thanks to Sprock, he had the fire covered before I could even set the swags up.

Spec-fucking-tacular Mark ! How did the rig go after last weeks process ??

HuskyInAuz
8th November 2017, 01:49 PM
Not long enough .. still have a bloody farm to sell, decided to keep the 'trol as we are coming back.

Unbelievable.. roadworthy folks just called .. $$$. I think it's the North Sydney accent :(

mudski
8th November 2017, 02:57 PM
Spec-fucking-tacular Mark! How did the rig go after last weeks process??

Like a dream Eric. A minor hiccup on the way to Heyfield, the low water alarm kept going off, as the mechanics fixed a minor water leak they spotted and hadnt bled the cooling system enough. Five minutes at Sprocks place with a cut coke bottle and it was bled.
Sprocks Patrol decided to spit out the lower control arm bolt on the Macalister river track. We were extremely lucky to find the bolt about 10 metres prior. The nut was MIA though so we pillaged my Patrol's front sway bar for the correct sized nut for him to continue along.
I really dont know how the weekend would have panned out if we didnt find the bolt. The Patrol wasnt going anywhere once the arm dropped out.

It wasn't really busy out there too. Yeah there were campers, and 4wds around but nothing like the 30 plus 4wd line I had to wait for on Queens birthday weekend trying to get to Lovicks Hut. That was insane.

Cuppa
8th November 2017, 06:33 PM
After carrying one of those fibreglass, screw together '4wd' long handled shovels for the past few months, I had no complaints about it until someone commented about how heavy it was. After checking out other shovels in Bunnings I realised they were right, so bought a new shovel (way cheaper than a 4x4 one) which is significantly lighter. Being unable to take it apart for storage I was faced with finding somewhere to store it. As space is at a premium in our rig, with most already spoken for there was really only one solution which will accommodate the shovel when we are packed to travel solo (without the Tvan). The Quickfist clamps I bought on ebay seem to be an excellent solution. Not looking forward to the day the shovel is required in a recovery situation, but it does get regular use around the camp fire.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/27.jpg

mudski
9th November 2017, 02:13 AM
After carrying one of those fibreglass, screw together '4wd' long handled shovels for the past few months, I had no complaints about it until someone commented about how heavy it was. After checking out other shovels in Bunnings I realised they were right, so bought a new shovel (way cheaper than a 4x4 one) which is significantly lighter. Being unable to take it apart for storage I was faced with finding somewhere to store it. As space is at a premium in our rig, with most already spoken for there was really only one solution which will accommodate the shovel when we are packed to travel solo (without the Tvan). The Quickfist clamps I bought on ebay seem to be an excellent solution. Not looking forward to the day the shovel is required in a recovery situation, but it does get regular use around the camp fire and when digging a hole for when you need to, snap one off.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/27.jpg

Fixed it for ya cuppa.

Cuppa
9th November 2017, 08:00 AM
mudski your thoughtfulness knows no bounds!

or emptying the portapotti. ;)

or levelling the Tvan

or creating a pool at the edge of the waterhole to get sufficient depth to fill the billy

or lifting wheel onto wheel studs

GQtdauto
9th November 2017, 12:10 PM
I'm finding the benefits to having a son who works for parks is many , so many camping spots that are unmarked and not on most maps .
Looking forward to more hidden gems like this one we camped at last night , ovens river .736637366473665

Hodge
9th November 2017, 12:57 PM
I'm finding the benefits to having a son who works for parks is many , so many camping spots that are unmarked and not on most maps .
Looking forward to more hidden gems like this one we camped at last night , ovens river .736637366473665That looks great mate !! Hidden spots are the go ...
My workmates best mate works for depi or dewlp as they're known now out of Mansfield.
And he goes allover the hc . Continuously sending my workmate co-ords for absolute blaster campsites .. hidden little spots nobody else would know about.

Too bad we don't have enough time to visit at least some of them.

GQtdauto
9th November 2017, 03:12 PM
That spot for those interested is here , http://fms.ws/pWiKl/36.11304S/146.21953E
Haven't had a chance to go fishing there but very good looking water and heaps of firewood around .

BigJ
10th November 2017, 12:00 PM
Just purchased 2 Redarc gauges EGT+Boost+Temperature and Dual battery volts. Titan rear draws hopefully arriving today according to tracking. Next up is Outback Roof console and UHF.

jay see
10th November 2017, 03:40 PM
F@$ked up my radio surround.

Thought it was a good idea to put three rocker style switches there only to discover that it hits The radio.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/35.jpg

GQtdauto
10th November 2017, 05:33 PM
Don't be fussy if you squint it looks ok .

MB
18th November 2017, 09:15 PM
Early start, busy day!
Serviced most filters/oils, man those front GU diffs take some oil, ran out 200ml short.
Plumbed up the aftermarket PS cooler with some nice protective plastic coil sheath to sheild its new path.
Found my winch fault, earth issue off the Albright solenoid and cleaned/coated every other connection just in case out there again!
150psi under tray airtank received some TLC, fill/dump repeat to blow out crud. Careful doing this folks as I nearly water jet cut my finger off!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/138.jpg
Gutted out most of its airlines and installed bigger/tougher with SS push in type fittings. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/139.jpg A hard lesson was learnt once up in the mountains and now rectified thanks to PeeBee ‘s advice recently. Always run ‘non-plastic’ lines directly out of your compressors to a distance as the localised operating high heat softens and lowers its strength :-(

Bidja
19th November 2017, 05:50 PM
08 Wag CRD Full NADS install over past couple of months, from stock eng w/safari snorkel. Install comprised; manual boost (dawes/needle), ProVent 200 CC, EGR plate(solid) @ X manifold, 3" SS Berkley exhaust (muf/cat), VDO gauges(egt/boost/oil press), TIG I/C.

Result good wanted more: 2 wks back had ECU postal remap (ecpt) Spec: Max B 20-22 psi AFR 22:1. I set Max boost 21psi but felt it was laggy low down (1200-2000rpm) and I thought it was more than just spool rate as I did close needle to seat but remained laggy down low.

Everything else was good above 2200rpm but considered it chocking a bit below 2000rpm so took muffler off and retained only cat and that was the icing on it:

Pulls the sock out of the gumboot real well now. Max B 21 psi pulls away confidently from 1500 very impressive good run, barks but no excessive, turbo sings on back off (spooling down), egt cruise below 300degC and solid haul on our dirt road that I know well, post remap with muffler over in 4th and holding 21 psi / 500 DegC, now with muffler delete Max B 21psi, egt touch below 500 degC, 4th gear and lifting off pedal approaching hill top. Before remap the max Boost was 16.5psi holding 4th and egt 550 degC. Getting around 13.7 lt/100ks when muffler fitted, will do more figures and fine tune needle (have to play some more).

May do a dyno run down the track.

Just about to set off with tow 7x5' caged/canopy braked trailer / rnd trip 2000kms. See how it hangs in.

Spudda02
19th November 2017, 07:18 PM
Went from this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/162.jpg

To this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/163.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/164.jpg
Picked it up Saturday. Time will be a good test for the 4WD supacentre gear, rather cheap and quality looks ok.

Yeti's Beast
19th November 2017, 09:04 PM
Took the old girl over to Bribie Island for the weekend.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/173.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/174.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/175.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/176.jpg

DX grunt
26th November 2017, 09:50 AM
Going to take my ute on the beach with Western Patrol Club. Authenticate, non photoshopped pics to follow. Lol

mudnut
26th November 2017, 07:16 PM
Bled the brakes and clutch. The fluid in the LPV was clean, but I don't think I have ever bled it before, so the previous owners/mechanics must've done it :)

Avo
26th November 2017, 07:44 PM
drove it..it sucked.....like a brick tied to an anchor....my harley has more horsepower......and it doesn't have tpo tow 3 tonne around

PeeBee
1st December 2017, 06:46 PM
Just exploring www for pretty nice lift kits, any guess on the lift kit provided by https://www.perfectlift.com.au

Hey there, are you a spammer? None of these kits appear to suit patrols, and you seem on a promotional journey? happy to be corrected.

GQtdauto
1st December 2017, 06:49 PM
Nothing to the patrol apart from more fuel but did the wheel alignment on the camper trailer , both wheels scrubbing on the inside but independent suspension pretty easy to do .

PeeBee
1st December 2017, 06:55 PM
swapped over a new viscous fan coupling - ugly ugly ugly, 3 hrs, 6 beers and bleeding knuckes. Don't remember the deal with the old patrol engine but the chev is very tight - need fingers like ET and uni-jointed 5 ways to get the bolts in and started. Hope this is the last time I have to do this. Attacking the shredded difflock hoses and wires tomorrow along with the mangled cruise control cable

PeeBee
2nd December 2017, 06:15 PM
Repaired the wiring and airlines from difflock compressor. Made an extended fan shroud to improve efficiency of the new fan blade. 7392973930 Before and after shots of fan shroud.

PeeBee
2nd December 2017, 07:48 PM
Earlier in the week when I changed over the fan coupling I 'lost' a 13mm open ender under the bonnet - it slipped out of my hand, went clank a couple of times and then could not find it. Anyway, still missing today and when i backed the truck out of the garage to reposition it, there was the worst vibration, then moved forward, nothing, reversed, vibration, did this a couple of time, thinking there was a porblem with the gearbox. Anyway got out and stuck my head under the vehicle and there was the spanner, sitting on a ledge partially exposed. Removed it and problem went away - if only every issue was as simple.

Bush Ranger
2nd December 2017, 07:52 PM
I replaced the deep cycle battery, with a SSB 100Ah Dry Cell AGM Deep Cycle.

PeeBee
3rd December 2017, 10:57 AM
I replaced the deep cycle battery, with a SSB 100Ah Dry Cell AGM Deep Cycle.

Hi BR, couple of questions for you if I may;

1) why did you go for this 'style' of deep cycle, as opposed to the wet cell plus. Are they faster recovery or better life under deep depth of discharge?

2) I am confusd with the description - dry cell AGM - what exactly is the format - I thought agm was a gel type of filling, and dry cell, closer to a carbon battery with limited moisture? I don't know enough about battery chemistry to tell the difference.

Yeti's Beast
3rd December 2017, 11:47 AM
Agm batteries do recover faster and can be discharged lower than a wet battery. They also have a longer shelf live where they will retain their charge longer when not being used.
Due to the surface area of the plate being in direct contact with the acid which is soaked into the separator, it ensures that every part of the plate is working without the possibility of acid stratification. The plates have lower internal resistance allowing greater performance.
Here are some pics of an AGM I cut down for examination https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/4fe3ab77782dd1b93093ea7040cfaf33.jpg
The white colored material is soaked in acid and is one length that is folded to go around every plate in the group.
This is the separator partially unfolded https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/ecbd834b49b4c38d7b366dcfc39b579d.jpg
Depending on the manufacturer AGM batteries are much higher quality batteries compared to your usual wet battery
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/7f5756dadc750cd0c06cd3d22e4b5a78.jpg
As a rule AGM batteries don’t like heat, they performed at their best if kept under 25c
These batteries came from a data center where the temp is maintained by an air con set to 25c.
In this environment these batteries have a 10 year design life.
We recommend that AGM if used in automotive applications should be fitted inside the rear of a car or inside a camper/ caravan to get the longest life. They will work under the bonnet but the life time is decreased by the high engine temps.
[emoji106]
Most GEL batteries are AGM batteries that are topped up with a Gelified Acid to help keep them moist for use in higher temps and Carbon Batteries are basically an AGM Battery also with Carbon added to the plate.

PeeBee
3rd December 2017, 03:00 PM
Thanks for that, really solid info.

Bush Ranger
3rd December 2017, 06:57 PM
PeeBee, as Yeti`s Beast said. I decided to go for some thing different than the Century battery I had under the bonnet. I was shown a Fusion AGM deep cycle to start with and was told that they are making AGM batteries to withstand heat that`s created under the bonnet. I was all so shown the SSB, which had the option of removable battery terminal posts if I had battery clamps or not. I wanted to try some thing different and gotten tired of people trying to sell me another Century, all because that`s what I had in the vehicle before. Hope this helps a bit more.

Yeti's Beast
3rd December 2017, 07:21 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/37.jpg
I now run 2 of these in the Patrol http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/38.jpg
Basically as an experiment
They put out over 900 cca, AGM Spiral cell.
Each cell has one continuous plate rolled up with the acid soaked Matt like a sponge roll.
They are smaller in capacity at 65 ah but recovery really fast with low internal resistance.
Being both of the same size and chemistry means they charge more equally than a starting battery besides a deep cycle. It’s all about resistance.
So far I’m happy with them.
I ran my mega thirsty caravan fridge off it for 4 hours whilst visiting relos during a trip recently and it started fine and the fridge in the car will go for 2 days when stopped without any assistance, but most times I connect the car to the van when camping so the onboard solar panel keeps the car fridge running.
Sorry for making this about me , I have a bad habit of that

PeeBee
3rd December 2017, 07:41 PM
YB,
thanks for this. I can't read the brand or size of the battery from the photo, can you advise pls. i am all about performance and redundancy. I am keen to hear about new stuff I have not seen. I am unfortunately on the wet cell path right now, so will have to wait until these crap out. To be honest though I pay a lot of attention to my batteries and generally get 8 - 10 yrs out o them.

Yeti's Beast
3rd December 2017, 08:01 PM
YB,
thanks for this. I can't read the brand or size of the battery from the photo, can you advise pls. i am all about performance and redundancy. I am keen to hear about new stuff I have not seen. I am unfortunately on the wet cell path right now, so will have to wait until these crap out. To be honest though I pay a lot of attention to my batteries and generally get 8 - 10 yrs out o them.

http://yhipower.com.au/home/product/neuton-power-npc65-12v-60amp/
They are actually 65 amp but yes rated at 800 cca although they do more than specified.
I have 3 now. Ones in the wife’s CX9 and 2 in the Patrol
They are similar to Optima and Orbital Batteries.
Psst, I work for Yhi. [emoji106]

Hodge
4th December 2017, 05:35 PM
Finally replaced my A/C compressor after sitting on the car de-gassed and de-belted for months. What a f'in job. Next time i'll just get it done somewhere. Take my money!
I spent good hour fighting the stupid AC belt tensioner...
Just have to get it re-gassed now and shes apples.
The old one was truly rooted. Off the car spinning the pulley clutch in or out and you can hear a dry/grindy bearing, especially clutch engaged.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73937&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73938&stc=1

PeeBee
4th December 2017, 07:27 PM
That is the cleanest 'under vehicle shot ' i have seen. Do you polish under there after every trip away?!!!!

MB
4th December 2017, 11:03 PM
Nasty Pastie Mate :-( (Meant Well :-) ) Hodgey gets out there don’t worry! Maybe doesn’t trash his beast like YOU !! :-)

GQtdauto
5th December 2017, 06:54 AM
That is the cleanest 'under vehicle shot ' i have seen. Do you polish under there after every trip away?!!!!

Another bitumen bunny!

Hodge
5th December 2017, 06:32 PM

No not really Phil. This car has literally never seen mud. All it's seen is dry high country dust & rivers. Most of which simply degreases off.

Another bitumen bunny!

Lol. Not all of us are lucky enough to live in Glenrowan with all that "off road" and camping in their back yard...

mudski
5th December 2017, 08:36 PM
No not really Phil. This car has literally never seen mud. All it's seen is dry high country dust & rivers. Most of which simply degreases off.

I think I need to take you on some muddy high country tracks.

firm351
5th December 2017, 11:29 PM
Replaced the pos sealed beam headlights with some H4's. Cant believe the difference, should've done it yonks ago.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PeeBee
6th December 2017, 03:02 AM
Replaced the pos sealed beam headlights with some H4's. Cant believe the difference, should've done it yonks ago.

Did you also upgrade your wiring? I found a huge difference using one of the Piranha wiring loom upgrades - cost about $110 from memory but higher voltage to the lights, greater output.

firm351
6th December 2017, 09:42 PM
Did you also upgrade your wiring? I found a huge difference using one of the Piranha wiring loom upgrades - cost about $110 from memory but higher voltage to the lights, greater output.Nah mate not yet but its on the list. The very long list...

Cuppa
17th December 2017, 10:41 PM
Took the Patrol out to do what it was designed to do - 4wd'ing.
Drove the Montezuma Falls Track in Tassie's west.
14kms in, 14kms out. Took a little over 2 hours each way. Non stop action all the way!
Was rated as medium but there were a few short sections I reckon were 'hard'. (Have since been told that a 're-grading' is long overdue).
It certainly tested me - the hardest I've attempted, but due to the very narrow track with nowhere to turn around - once on the track you are committed.
All 1st & 2nd low range & used the front e-locker several times to assist & once to get ourselves out of a situation which could have been pretty dodgy had we not have had it. When MrsTea squealed "Diff Lock" with a sense of urgency from the passenger seat there was no debate!

Bidja
18th December 2017, 01:03 AM
Took the Patrol out to do what it was designed to do - 4wd'ing.
Drove the Montezuma Falls Track in Tassie's west.
14kms in, 14kms out. Took a little over 2 hours each way. Non stop action all the way!
Was rated as medium but there were a few short sections I reckon were 'hard'. (Have since been told that a 're-grading' is long overdue).
It certainly tested me - the hardest I've attempted, but due to the very narrow track with nowhere to turn around - once on the track you are committed.
All 1st & 2nd low range & used the front e-locker several times to assist & once to get ourselves out of a situation which could have been pretty dodgy had we not have had it. When MrsTea squealed "Diff Lock" with a sense of urgency from the passenger seat there was no debate!

So it was one way then unless you had tow hooked up - Ha Ha

Cuppa
18th December 2017, 06:56 AM
So it was one way then unless you had tow hooked up - Ha Ha

Track was very narrow. Mirrors folded in to avoid rock faces & bushes. I reckon there were no more than a couple of passing spots in 14kms & even they were risky (soft mud).

If we'd had the Tvan hooked up it would have been 'no way', not one way. One very tight corner had a wheel half over a drop off (long way down) to get around a large fallen tree.

Bidja
18th December 2017, 09:49 AM
Track was very narrow. Mirrors folded in to avoid rock faces & bushes. I reckon there were no more than a couple of passing spots in 14kms & even they were risky (soft mud).

If we'd had the Tvan hooked up it would have been 'no way', not one way. One very tight corner had a wheel half over a drop off (long way down) to get around a large fallen tree.

Yeh, checked track out online and appears to have some tight section and considered one of the most muddiest tracks in Tassie. Roadside vegetation looks very lush and absolutely wonderful.

Also great to re familiarise ones self of how the vehicle performs and to do an adrenalin check. Be an enjoyable run mate.

PeeBee
22nd December 2017, 09:53 PM
Fitted replacement cruise control cable that got mangled on last trip. Additional oil cooler arrived and scoped out the fittings and hoses.

MB
22nd December 2017, 11:29 PM
Bloody Rossco the sneaky Bushman trickster :-( No way that soft arse tiny rope was going to last two hundgy clicks, full noise ;-)

PeeBee
22nd December 2017, 11:37 PM
Bloody Rossco the sneaky Bushman trickster :-( No way that soft arse tiny rope was going to last two hundgy clicks, full noise ;-)

Reckon it got me further with it than without! I should have backed off a bit as I stuck the boot in to merge with the 110klm/her traffic and whipper snippet did she let go! Anyway another lesson and not too expensive to fix.

MB
22nd December 2017, 11:46 PM
Team effort all round as always;-)
Thank you again for saving my days on elecy disastrous, legend :-)

DX grunt
23rd December 2017, 07:19 AM
Filled the esky up in the pod with cool drinks and cold drinks. lol.

Predicted 35degs today and 40 on Christmas day.

gabe1312
23rd December 2017, 10:32 AM
Pre- Christmas Steinbauer install on my 2.8! Hopefully Christmas comes early!

Rossco
23rd December 2017, 03:04 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGot us up the mountain and out of the wilderness. It was clearly stated no guarantee on parts or workmanship [emoji38]. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PeeBee
23rd December 2017, 04:36 PM
Got us up the mountain and out of the wilderness. It was clearly stated no guarantee on parts or workmanship [emoji38]. . .

I don't recall that statement, however was accepting of the help.

Rossco
23rd December 2017, 06:41 PM
I don't recall that statement, however was accepting of the help.I was in very fine print [emoji38] . . .

PeeBee
23rd December 2017, 07:09 PM
More like invisible braille!!!!! But Captain Rossco, the bit of rope saved the day and we all thank you for it. I don't think we could have gone out via butcher Country with it though

mudski
24th December 2017, 03:11 PM
Drove it all day, fighting the shopping traffic just getting the final kids Christmas pressies...

Bacho86
24th December 2017, 05:02 PM
Drove it all day, fighting the shopping traffic just getting the final kids Christmas pressies...

You are a very game man!!!

Bacho86
24th December 2017, 05:03 PM
Picked up these from a guy parting his patrol on fb - merry Christmas to me!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/132.jpg

MB
24th December 2017, 05:09 PM
Merry Christmas for sure Nath mate, top score! ‘Full Boar’ shelves are tough rippers I wish for too oneday when back off Santa’s naughty list :-(

the evil twin
24th December 2017, 05:20 PM
Got out the Spider Spray, Cobweb Broom, NBC Suit, 6 Pack of Beer (hydration is critical in an NBC environment), Long Handled Shovel (big bastard steriod Spiders), Stomping Boots (little bastard tricky Spiders) and loaded the .410 with BB (mutant zombie bastard Spiders).

Had a couple of stiff Whiskeys and launched a pre-emptive strike on all the bastard Spiders that have taken up residence on my Ute.
No quarter asked or given but hostile operations have now ceased due to fatigue and running out of Beer.

Thinking of piling up the Xmas wrappings etc and setting fire to them tomorrow and driving slowly over the bonfire in a simulated Napalm Attack to flush out the cunning Bin Laden cave hiding bastard Spiders

MB
24th December 2017, 05:31 PM
PURE GOLD :-) :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winnie
24th December 2017, 05:34 PM
Picked up these from a guy parting his patrol on fb - merry Christmas to me!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/132.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI've got the same table. Awesome bit of gear and comes in handy for quick track side sandwich stops.

Mc4by
24th December 2017, 05:44 PM
After what seems like an eternity, I got it dirty.

PeeBee
24th December 2017, 07:10 PM
Beautiful colour - is that Black or dark blue?

Mc4by
24th December 2017, 07:52 PM
Dark blue which makes it harder to clean up after track scratches.

PeeBee
24th December 2017, 08:05 PM
Looks magic. I have a dark charcoal GQ and gave up years ago on trying to cut the scratches out. It gets a clean up every 10 years now! have a great xmas break.

Plasnart
24th December 2017, 08:07 PM
Beautiful colour - is that Black or dark blue?

Bit ambiguous PB. Dark blue's a colour, black's a shade.

Hahaha!

Sorry, in one of those moods. Carry on.

PeeBee
24th December 2017, 08:10 PM
Bit ambiguous PB. Dark blue's a colour, black's a shade.

Hahaha!

Sorry, in one of those moods. Carry on.

Righto, go straight to the shed, put head of penis in the open vice and rotate handle until the jaws are firmly together, then come back and tell me all about the COLOUR black! Merry Xmas Plassy!!!!

MB
24th December 2017, 08:15 PM
Funny blokes you two, PMSL, great start to Happy Holi ‘day’ :-)

Bacho86
24th December 2017, 08:20 PM
Merry Christmas for sure Nath mate, top score! ‘Full Boar’ shelves are tough rippers I wish for too oneday when back off Santa’s naughty list :-(

Yeh they are definitely a solid unit!! I had been on the look out for a set for awhile, not wanting to pay the $300-400 for a brand new set, and then I was lucky enough to snap these up!

I've got the same table. Awesome bit of gear and comes in handy for quick track side sandwich stops.

Good to hear - did you have to rivert yours in place as well, or is there another solution?

Winnie
24th December 2017, 08:28 PM
Yeh they are definitely a solid unit!! I had been on the look out for a set for awhile, not wanting to pay the $300-400 for a brand new set, and then I was lucky enough to snap these up!

Good to hear - did you have to rivert yours in place as well, or is there another solution?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI riveted them on. Couldn't think of any other way except for screws.

Plasnart
24th December 2017, 10:30 PM
Righto, go straight to the shed, put head of penis in the open vice and rotate handle until the jaws are firmly together, then come back and tell me all about the COLOUR black! Merry Xmas Plassy!!!!

Reminds me of the "Wendy" joke. Ask me in the pub thread if you want to hear it!

Sprock
29th December 2017, 05:31 PM
Fitted new rear sway bar bushes & linkages . Hello everybody yes I've been absent for a while - been insanely busy but got a week or so off over Christmas so got on here for a quick look & catch up on what's been happening

PeeBee
29th December 2017, 05:33 PM
Hello Sprocky, hope Xmas was a fun-fest for you and the family.

Sprock
29th December 2017, 07:27 PM
G'day Philo , yeah was good mate - LOTS of food & no work make for a fat Sprock haha

Sprock
29th December 2017, 07:30 PM
I've scrolled a fair way back & see you've done a fair bit to your vehicle - no mention of fitting that heater in under the bonnet so it seems my lips are safe from contact with your nether regions 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

mudski
29th December 2017, 08:20 PM
Changed the thermostat and coolant today. I had the occasional fluctuating temps on the highway, and since the new squirters my water temps have been 5c hotter on average. So out came the Tridon High flow stat and in went a genuine stat with a modified by pass, and new coolant. Went for a blast on the freeway today and the temps have not dropped at all. But more consistent.
So I'm assuming since Ive gained an extra 20rwkw from the new injectors, I have also inherited a few more degrees in water temp.

PeeBee
29th December 2017, 08:32 PM
I've scrolled a fair way back & see you've done a fair bit to your vehicle - no mention of fitting that heater in under the bonnet so it seems my lips are safe from contact with your nether regions 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I think you are safe, but more concerning is YOU keeping bringing this up!!!!! I doubt I can fit anything more under that bonnet - its full.

Sprock
29th December 2017, 09:33 PM
I know under your bonnet is full hence why I made the 'safe' statement- HOWEVER I stick to my word so I have been monitoring your work on your vehicle - hence bringing it up from time to time 😜

Sprock
29th December 2017, 09:39 PM
mudski when I got the big Cummins tuned up in the truck , apart from the BIG hp difference the other thing I noticed straight away was the increased coolant temps & the Horton fan cutting in HEAPS more - as they say you can't get more hp without more heat .

MB
29th December 2017, 10:15 PM
Had the privilege once over several hours of listening into diesel dark arts true gurus working away like Nissannewby, Old Mav & Bennyboy. As best I remember coldest air intake possible by whatever means (front mount IC’s and or water-meth injection etc...) and perfectly fueled/tuned pumps could create big HP/KW whilst efficiently keeping block/water temps at bay too I believed! And....the finer details I have forgotten now too :-)

mudski
29th December 2017, 10:20 PM
Had the privilege once over several hours of listening into diesel dark arts true gurus working away like Nissannewby, Old Mav & Bennyboy. As best I remember coldest air intake possible by whatever means (front mount IC’s and or water-meth injection etc...) and perfectly fueled/tuned pumps could create big HP/KW whilst efficiently keeping block/water temps at bay too I believed! And....the finer details I have forgotten now too :-)

Yeah I think i need to get it retuned. As it wasn't retuned when the new squirters went in, it was pretty much just a before and after dyno run for comparison. I reckon a retune will show different results.

MB
29th December 2017, 10:41 PM
Please do dyno run it with Andy at DieselTec. Andy and Mat legend via phone to QLD time sorted AB’s end tune finally to absolute perfect current usage needs personally witnessed now as track tail end behind charlie me always!

PeeBee
29th December 2017, 10:59 PM
mudski when I got the big Cummins tuned up in the truck , apart from the BIG hp difference the other thing I noticed straight away was the increased coolant temps & the Horton fan cutting in HEAPS more - as they say you can't get more hp without more heat .

Correct, if you create more energy you create more heat, and it can only be transferred, not destroyed, as you have no doubt heard before, so the upshot is a rise in cooling temps, totally logicalin the same closed loop system. To maintain the same temps would require a larger/more efficient cooling system in order to transfer the heat to atmosphere without a temperature rise in the cooling liquid.

mudski
29th December 2017, 11:00 PM
Please do dyno run it with Andy at DieselTec. Andy and Mat legend via phone to QLD time sorted AB’s end tune finally to absolute perfect current usage needs personally witnessed now as track tail end behind charlie me always!

Yeah I'll call them I think. I doubt i'll have time before I go away on the 5th though.

MB
29th December 2017, 11:16 PM
Correct, if you create more energy you create more heat, and it can only be transferred, not destroyed, as you have no doubt heard before, so the upshot is a rise in cooling temps, totally logicalin the same closed loop system. To maintain the same temps would require a larger/more efficient cooling system in order to transfer the heat to atmosphere without a temperature rise in the cooling liquid.
I really can’t remember the specific dark arts discussed mate but think the ‘transferring’ of heat may have something to do with it. Bigger runout exhausts and perfectly flowing custom intake manifolds also came into play with pressurised turbo over high flow too I think but unsure :-(

PeeBee
29th December 2017, 11:23 PM
Sure that will help, but simplistically, if you create a bigger bang, release more energy, it is contained within the cylinder and transfers some of that heat to the block, and rest gets evacuated. To escape no energy transfer increase to the block would be remarkable, and hence not have a rise in cooling temp the same. You might see this if you changed the block materials to an insulator, like a ceramic, but unsure if this is avail for the TD42? Anyway, thats getting close to my tap-out on the subject, so need some input from the diesel cycle gurus regards charge temps and air density and highflow manifolds etc I reckon.

MB
29th December 2017, 11:30 PM
Cheers Philstar!
Some nigh nigh petrol rice burner heat releasing footage for us both. Just like counting sheep to sleep, enjoy :-) https://youtu.be/PWTs-dW73f4

PeeBee
29th December 2017, 11:33 PM
Hey, looks like Portals from Marks might still be alive for GQ - that exclusion comment on their website is now removed! Interesting.

MB
30th December 2017, 12:28 AM
Diesel dark arts been thinking again, trying to remember overheard could be like a great golf swing I only guess mate? Wind up a perfect swing with as much downward force and momentum ready as possible then slam that ball/crank through the cycle and relax/cool the last return back to ‘TDC’ by way of breathing out all stress/heat ready for the next cycle super punch again?

PeeBee
30th December 2017, 12:36 AM
I think I am going to revise my books on this stuff!

MB
30th December 2017, 12:46 AM
All I can say is mate that Mrs MB’s TD42T (under 100rwkw) stocky runs very high EGT’s and block temps as standard whereas AB’s converted (180rwkw tamed) TD42 + T (BW)+ FMIC runs at least 10-15D cooler on the radiator and near half the EGT’s. There is definitely more to this I honestly believe brother:-)

PeeBee
30th December 2017, 01:18 AM
I think this is heading down the path of actual combustion pressure difference. Given that the swept volume is essentially the same and the combustion process is optimised by higher compression, if you run a boost pressure into your engine at 2 times that of a similar engine, the efficiency of combustion will increase and result in greater hp. IE if your GU runs at 10psi and andys at 20 psi, then the efficiency of the burn is going to be greater in Andy's this is a fundamental of the diesel cycle. The heat is transferred into the block, but at a different rate to that generated by virtue of the exhaust gases being vented and the energy released. As the air expands it releases energy and cools also, whereas this does not happen in the 'closed environment' of the cylinder, hence why some energy gets transferred into the block and has to be converted with the cooling jacket. How the guys doing the tuning are able to manipulate the timing and fuel /air rates to achieve these incredible outputs is beyond my knowledge base to be honest. I would like to spend some time with some of these tuning guys and understand it to be frank. Anyway, going to bed now. Goodnight!

mudski
30th December 2017, 08:09 AM
Damn you @MB! Now I am really wanting to get the Patrol in at Diesel Tec before the 5th. Don't like my chances though...
My car goes really sweet now with the now combined 180 killer wasps but I really want to see what these guys can do. Not after anymore power, the 160 it had, was more than enough, I'm really curious to see what difference a different engine tuner can do.

Winnie
30th December 2017, 08:13 AM
Damn you @MB! Now I am really wanting to get the Patrol in at Diesel Tec before the 5th. Don't like my chances though...
My car goes really sweet now with the now combined 180 killer wasps but I really want to see what these guys can do. Not after anymore power, the 160 it had, was more than enough, I'm really curious to see what difference a different engine tuner can do.He normally has an extended holiday this time of year mate and usual booking time is a couple of weeks anyway

AB
30th December 2017, 08:25 AM
Yeah you could ring up on the 2nd Mudski but highly doubt he'll be back until min the 8th.

Winnie
30th December 2017, 08:30 AM
I still recommend getting a tune done by him though, reckon you'll get a more efficient tune from him.

mudski
30th December 2017, 08:38 AM
Bugger. I'll ring them on the 2nd.
The Patrol is running 5c on average hotter, and the water temps rise faster now when I accelerate up a hill, or when there is load on the motor.
So around town it was always fluctuating between 75c and 80c, it might hit 85c if I gave it the berries up a long hill. On the highway, it was always 80-85c, and 90c sitting at 110kph.
Now, around town is 80-85c and hits 90c quite easily and on the highway at 100 its 90c-95c. When idle the temps will drop to 80c in a few minutes too, so I know the fan is working. Plus I can hear it too, it locks in earlier since the new injectors.

I'm just a little concerned with the water temps when towing my camper up the coast. I think I'll be right though, the factory overheat limit is 118c from memory, I just have to watch the gauge more.

I still recommend getting a tune done by him though, reckon you'll get a more efficient tune from him.

Yeah I wanna give them a shot for sure. Thing is after I come back on the 19th, I am going back to full time work so I hope they do Saturday tunes...

Winnie
30th December 2017, 09:23 AM
Bugger. I'll ring them on the 2nd.
The Patrol is running 5c on average hotter, and the water temps rise faster now when I accelerate up a hill, or when there is load on the motor.
So around town it was always fluctuating between 75c and 80c, it might hit 85c if I gave it the berries up a long hill. On the highway, it was always 80-85c, and 90c sitting at 110kph.
Now, around town is 80-85c and hits 90c quite easily and on the highway at 100 its 90c-95c. When idle the temps will drop to 80c in a few minutes too, so I know the fan is working. Plus I can hear it too, it locks in earlier since the new injectors.

I'm just a little concerned with the water temps when towing my camper up the coast. I think I'll be right though, the factory overheat limit is 118c from memory, I just have to watch the gauge more.

Yeah I wanna give them a shot for sure. Thing is after I come back on the 19th, I am going back to full time work so I hope they do Saturday tunes...No Saturday work...

MB
30th December 2017, 10:51 AM
mudski mate, just drove past Andy’s front door, unfortunate news for you all of Jan closed. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/167.jpg

Rossco
30th December 2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah remember when my pump finally died this time couple of years back was same story. Did manage to book it in quite quick once he came back tho. Will be looking at getting mine in soon, first job in the new year will be getting this Borg Warner on. . . Guess I've got a month to do it.

Winnie
30th December 2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah remember when my pump finally died this time couple of years back was same story. Did manage to book it in quite quick once he came back tho. Will be looking at getting mine in soon, first job in the new year will be getting this Borg Warner on. . . Guess I've got a month to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkGotta be done for Australia day weekend bro!

Rossco
30th December 2017, 11:15 AM
Gotta be done for Australia day weekend bro!

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkHmm good point, how's that gonna work. . Might have to get it all ready and put it on after. . . Kinda keen as to get crackn with it.

Clunk
13th January 2018, 11:14 PM
Guess what fun stuff I finally got round to doing today..... I'm going to cry then burn the bastard thing if I have to do it again.

Also finally got to fit the front shocks I bought a year ago...... Ran out of time to change my springs, so that will be a job for tomorrowhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/97.jpg

Avo
13th January 2018, 11:17 PM
Guess what fun stuff I finally got round to doing today..... I'm going to cry then burn the bastard thing if I have to do it again.

Also finally got to fit the front shocks I bought a year ago...... Ran out of time to change my springs, so that will be a job for tomorrowhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/97.jpg

dunno mate ......I own a gu,they don't break down,so tell me...what is it your doing?

Clunk
13th January 2018, 11:28 PM
dunno mate ......I own a gu,they don't break down,so tell me...what is it your doing?You should know, you did it for me last time

sooty_10
13th January 2018, 11:32 PM
You should know, you did it for me last timeMaybe thats the problem and why your doing it again.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Clunk
13th January 2018, 11:35 PM
Maybe thats the problem and why your doing it again.

Sent from my SM-G925I using TapatalkNah there's definitely an issue somewhere, 3rd time in 3 years now...... Wanting to save up for some GU diffs, so will have to work with what I got for now

Avo
13th January 2018, 11:42 PM
Nah there's definitely an issue somewhere, 3rd time in 3 years now...... Wanting to save up for some GU diffs, so will have to work with what I got for now

nah he knows the real problem..loll

Clunk
14th January 2018, 09:40 PM
Front springs are in, couldnt get the required nuts n bolts loose in order to drop the rear diff to change springs, so will have to spend a few days spraying the feck out of them with some good penetrating fluid. Anyone suggest a good one to buy?

MB
15th January 2018, 04:00 AM
‘Penetrene’ in the little yellow bottle works a treat I reckon Clunk mate.

Clunk
15th January 2018, 01:20 PM
‘Penetrene’ in the little yellow bottle works a treat I reckon Clunk mate.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCheers chap

Yeti's Beast
23rd January 2018, 09:18 PM
Well wasn’t today but last week we took the Patrol and Camper up to camp at Ocean Beach Bribie Island
https://vimeo.com/252035445

jay see
24th January 2018, 08:11 PM
Dropped it off to get the rear main seal done.
While there I had a good chat with Brett (4x4 obsession) about getting some more power out of my tb45. Short story go Ls. Normally gets around 150kw at the wheels.

On the flat, no problem drives well, keeps up with traffic, loaded up for camping maybe 300 odd kgs and it doesn't like any incline, hills and I really struggle.

I saw a series 2 or 3 gu Patrol with a ls1 or 2. Asking price was $19,000. Was kitted out OK. If I was to do a ls1 in mine it will be a $18,000 drive in drive out job. Does that sound about right?? I will ring around to see what others are charging.

I would rather spend the money on mine as I know what everything else is like.

Rossco
24th January 2018, 09:04 PM
Ooh exciting. Don't really know too much about LS conversions sounds a bit pricey but not really basing that on much. Chappy might be able to help or matfew maybe . . .

jay see
24th January 2018, 10:02 PM
Ooh exciting. Don't really know too much about LS conversions sounds a bit pricey but not really basing that on much. Chappy might be able to help or matfew maybe . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkNot getting excited yet. Told the Mrs and she just stared at me for a few seconds and walked away.

Guys that have had a td42 conversion done in a shop, what kind of price have you paid. Just as a comparison.

The price I got is a full job literally drive in as is drive out all done.

Hodge
24th January 2018, 10:06 PM
Not getting excited yet. Told the Mrs and she just stared at me for a few seconds and walked away.

Guys that have had a td42 conversion done in a shop, what kind of price have you paid. Just as a comparison.

The price I got is a full job literally drive in as is drive out all done.

To give you an idea. When I had plans to convert my 3L to 4.2L, that was roughly the ball park. $15k - $20k, drive in-out job. I got quotes from 3-4 different places.

jay see
24th January 2018, 10:23 PM
To give you an idea. When I had plans to convert my 3L to 4.2L, that was roughly the ball park. $15k - $20k, drive in-out job. I got quotes from 3-4 different places.Thanks mate.

Kinda thought that's the going price.

Bacho86
25th January 2018, 07:24 AM
Thanks mate.

Kinda thought that's the going price.

Unless you wanna do a mudski.... [emoji38]

jay see
25th January 2018, 12:03 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNah, for about the same $$ and rwkw I'll prefer to listen to a v8.[emoji41]

Hodge
25th January 2018, 01:05 PM

mudski has done the right thing.

If I was doing a conversion , I'd get the motor a tad spiced up while it's out on the bench.

I love listening to that turbo out of his car ... Even just when the motor starts , the whistle rising up to idle is just phenomelan.
And driving behind it seeing the car just waltzing around at even slightest squirt of throttle is amazing. I got some dash cam footage. [emoji14]
All this while I'm in my tractor slug digging for lower gears lol.

jay see
25th January 2018, 04:58 PM
[/QUOTE
If I was doing a conversion , I'd get the motor a tad spiced up while it's out on the bench.

I love listening to that turbo out of his car ... Even just when the motor starts , the whistle rising up to idle is just phenomelan[/QUOTE]

If I had a blank cheque I wouldn't spice it up a tad I'll do alot. Unfortunately I don't.

As for the whistle, what about a whistling Turboed Ls. Now that would be nice..

I wish I had that blank cheque.

PeeBee
26th January 2018, 04:25 PM
Finished off the remainder of all my tasks except the antenna replacement.
1) completed the Endless air brackets and ran the system, but not generating pressure - so back to endless air about that - suspect it needs to run faster with higher belt tension - so I guess this is now NOT finished
2) mounted the brake compensator plate above rear axle - brakes a lot more evenly now whereas the front was the bias
3) Mounted the twin ARB Difflock vent valves to allow dumping of moist air at the end of the day - MB had issues with this on a snow trip last year
4) finished off the odds and sods with the belly tank and put in 60L - no leaks and fills faster than the main tank, so very happy after hearing all sorts of stories of the belly tank taking 20 mins to fill from others. Transfer pump works well.
5) fitted the 'bulb' primer as recommended by Cuppa and others, works well and a lot better than the fuel filter primer pump.
6) packed up the garage mess, grabbed a beer and jumped in the pool.

Bidja
26th January 2018, 04:27 PM
Gave the CRD a sweetie today, oil change, drained the crap out of CC, greased her behind the ears and gippas in fuel tank for inject - clean as pay back. She is settling in after 2 so months work, full NADS, ECU remap all the good bits & pieces including work on muffler back pressure to give me 21/22 psi max B @1800RPM, nice spool /egts and of course: 10.2 l/100kms (mix driving 20% dirt/70%hwy/10% town) and not just poking around (3.1T not camped up). Read from Ultragauge EM Plus, Max Torque (100% load) 475Nm (ref only) and from 2000RPM. Yet to do dyno check.
Max B

mudski
26th January 2018, 07:08 PM
mudski has done the right thing.

I love listening to that turbo out of his car ... Even just when the motor starts , the whistle rising up to idle is just phenomelan.
And driving behind it seeing the car just waltzing around at even slightest squirt of throttle is amazing. I got some dash cam footage. [emoji14]
All this while I'm in my tractor slug digging for lower gears lol.

Yeah I love the turbo whistle too. No regrets in what I'd done. But I do love the sound of a nice V8 aswell. I'd whack a supercharger on the V8 though. The whine of a supercharger is just as good as a turbo spooling up.

jay see
27th January 2018, 12:18 AM
Yeah I love the turbo whistle too. No regrets in what I'd done. But I do love the sound of a nice V8 aswell. I'd whack a supercharger on the V8 though. The whine of a supercharger is just as good as a turbo spooling up.LSA.....

GQtdauto
1st March 2018, 01:13 PM
Sent the GQ away for injector pump reco, a service and check up and over to get it ready for the cape trip .

PeeBee
2nd March 2018, 08:13 PM
Finished off the radiator water spray bar, modified the aircon fan with a Cuppa over-ride switch so it can be turned on by itself, relocated the new am/fm radio antenna to get better separation from the other antennas - still don't know if it improved reception - fine in Metro area, crap out in the bush, out of total frustration with the endless air installation, now 'thinking about version 276B', so bought another ARB difflock compressor and swapped this over with the bigger ARB compressor, then located the bigger compressor to where the endless air was to use as tyre compressor only, fixed the hydraulic hose leak - think it was operator error and I didn't do the fitting up correctly - tested winch, all good, maintenance run of the rear electric winch, out and in twice, all good. Time for a rest i believe.

Hodge
2nd March 2018, 08:50 PM
Finished off the radiator water spray bar

Very curious about this Phil. Did you use another washer bottle/motor for it or?

MB
2nd March 2018, 10:30 PM
Finished off the radiator water spray bar, modified the aircon fan with a Cuppa over-ride switch so it can be turned on by itself, relocated the new am/fm radio antenna to get better separation from the other antennas - still don't know if it improved reception - fine in Metro area, crap out in the bush, out of total frustration with the endless air installation, now 'thinking about version 276B', so bought another ARB difflock compressor and swapped this over with the bigger ARB compressor, then located the bigger compressor to where the endless air was to use as tyre compressor only, fixed the hydraulic hose leak - think it was operator error and I didn't do the fitting up correctly - tested winch, all good, maintenance run of the rear electric winch, out and in twice, all good. Time for a rest i believe.

#BFG Steelie KM2’s - Check?
#Diesel Patrol - Check?
#Mexican Smoke Signal Safety Pack?

****GOOD TO GO*****
Stress less brother:-)

MB
2nd March 2018, 10:50 PM
Very curious about this Phil. Did you use another washer bottle/motor for it or?
One similar to this I’ve seen done locally mate :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/7.jpg20L tucked away for steepest emergencies can definitely work short term. Silvans ‘White’ version I believe can be used potable too?

mudski
2nd March 2018, 11:04 PM
Finished off the radiator water spray bar,
Is that seriously worth the effort? I cant see it being real effective and there aint much water in that bottle to keep the kettle cool.

Yeti's Beast
2nd March 2018, 11:06 PM
Good for spraying weeds too

MB
2nd March 2018, 11:15 PM
I personally prefer the 200L version out the back of our paddock Navara beast, keeps the wheelspin flames under control ! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/8.jpg All jokes aside, blokes I know do benefit greatly from the 20L jobbies plumbed up for radiator emergencies ;-)

mudski
2nd March 2018, 11:38 PM
Not today but yesterday. Got the Patrol serviced and the water leaked fixed. I change my oil and filters at every 5Kin including air. Now that I have a company car I guess this oil change will see me til the end of the year. Lol. Took it it for a spin this evening, as I hadn't driven it for maybe 6 weeks. Everything felt so weird as Im used to driving a Territory.

Hodge
3rd March 2018, 06:44 AM
Is that seriously worth the effort? I cant see it being real effective and there aint much water in that bottle to keep the kettle cool.I've sent it done a few times and the guys think it's definitely working when going gets tough !!

Last one I saw , the bloke re routed his rear window sprayer asembly to mist the radiator and the intercooler ... Not much water in there but in need it definitely can help.

I mean who the f... Used the rear washer anyway lol. Can't see the window and the thing leaks anyway.

Rossco
3rd March 2018, 07:41 AM
Last one I saw , the bloke re routed his rear window sprayer asembly to mist the radiator and the intercooler ... Not much water in there but in need it definitely can help.

Was that the twin vnt td42 project on you tube? , love his vids . .

Hodge
3rd March 2018, 07:46 AM
Was that the twin vnt td42 project on you tube? , love his vids . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkNah, this one i saw was at jpc. Just a plain td42 turbo .

I guess it's a tight ass water to air cooler. Lol

Yeti's Beast
3rd March 2018, 08:26 AM
It’s common for the guys with Turbo rice burners to put a spray kit in front of the intercooler

PeeBee
3rd March 2018, 09:47 AM
Is that seriously worth the effort? I cant see it being real effective and there aint much water in that bottle to keep the kettle cool.

Mark, I have started out using a 2L washer bottle setup to assess its effect. In theory the spraying of cold water onto the hot coil will amplify the cooling effect as evaporating water releases energy, hence the coil will cool more effectively. What remains to be seen is the amount of water and the effect/time lag on anything tangible. Ultimately I will hook up a shurflo pressure pump into the 120L SS water tank I use around camp. For weekend trips I don't need that much water, mostly beer, so its a bit of an experiment right now, cost around $25 plus my time.

The system that MB mentions is also worthwhile, as the system is pre-primed and at a higher pressure than the simple washer bottle pump. The key is getting the right droplet size and volume of droplets to contact the hot radiator. I expect to use this on long low range/high rev climbs only, then maybe some 'pulsing' at the top of the hills if the temps push over the 105 Deg mark. Unfortunately I have not found any realestate to install a silvan pump/tank set-up, so the shurflo and ss water tank will suffice. I did buy a cheap 12V solenoid valve for the instant cut-off in ebay for $6, so will see how that goes. I have tried to engage with a large spray nozzle manufacturer to select a nozzle, but the arrogant dick basically told me i wasn't worth the effort, so next time I have an industrial project requiring spray nozzles, he won't get a call - what goes around comes around. I keep you informed as this develops.

PeeBee
3rd March 2018, 09:49 AM
#BFG Steelie KM2’s - Check?
#Diesel Patrol - Check?
#Mexican Smoke Signal Safety Pack?

****GOOD TO GO*****
Stress less brother:-)

The choices are to either preferentially work on the beast or fix sagging plaster or paint gutters - which would you pick????

PeeBee
3rd March 2018, 09:51 AM

Hodgy, see my long winded answer further up the page to mudski, thanks for the note.

mudnut
9th March 2018, 06:03 PM
Over two days: Changed out both front rotors and pads. Greased wheel bearings, fitted new seals and fitted new wheel studs to P/S. Rebuilt D/S caliper and bled the brakes.

After at least 50000 ks, the Innox MX8 grease in the bearings was still very clean.

DX grunt
16th March 2018, 08:31 PM
Had the master brake cyclinder replaced, recently.

Yesterday, I filled the water tanks up (90lts) ready for a few days away next week.

Still undecided if I'll hit the sand, dirt or bitumen! PML.

Cuppa
17th March 2018, 08:57 AM

Yesterday, I filled the water tanks up (90lts) ready for a few days away next week.

Thought you were selling it?

TPC
17th March 2018, 10:49 AM

Don't remind him.

Bacho86
17th March 2018, 01:10 PM
Well turns out I damaged an abs hose over the weekend....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/167.jpg

I know gq guys swear by braided line upgrades, but has anyone done it on a gu with much improvement? Otherwise depending on cost, I may just replace the damaged one with a oem replacement

the evil twin
17th March 2018, 01:56 PM
Yes, me... and bloody well worth it I might add altho I was running 35's at the time

DX grunt
17th March 2018, 02:01 PM

If I don't have to, I definitely won't be. I'll never get back what I've put into it.

Getting my financials ready to be reviewed for my new driving school business.

garett
17th March 2018, 02:04 PM
that looks like your abs sensor at the front there

Bacho86
17th March 2018, 03:19 PM
that looks like your abs sensor at the front there

Actually the right rear, but pretty sure they all look similar [emoji846]

garett
17th March 2018, 05:50 PM
Actually the right rear, but pretty sure they all look similar [emoji846]

i meant in the fore ground of the photo.

Avo
17th March 2018, 06:00 PM

the salmon are on the bite this way dx,show you arounbd if you wish

the evil twin
17th March 2018, 06:04 PM
What did I do to my Patrol today?
Sweet FA!
Why?
Cause, apparently, "It's a 1999 Y61 GU Patrol TD42 ST Series 1 Coil Cab Chassis" repeated twice is not a specific enough model description for the wanker parts interpreter to get me the correct F#%$^# bits!!!
FFS... time to have another Beer, watch the footy and consider in what order to dismember his vital body parts on Monday

Plasnart
17th March 2018, 06:14 PM
Sweet FA!
Why?
Cause, apparently, "It's a 1999 Y61 GU Patrol TD42 ST Series 1 Coil Cab Chassis" repeated twice is not a specific enough model description for the wanker parts interpreter to get me the correct F#%$^# bits!!!
FFS... time to have another Beer, watch the footy and consider in what order to dismember his vital body parts on Monday

You need to be more specific ET. Is it metallic or standard paint? Jeez lay off the guy :D

GQtdauto
17th March 2018, 06:49 PM
Sweet FA!
Why?

Beige or grey trim ? Give the guy some slack geez !

DX grunt
17th March 2018, 07:50 PM
the salmon are on the bite this way dx,show you arounbd if you wish

What are you doing next weekend?

I'm keen.

Avo
17th March 2018, 07:57 PM
What are you doing next weekend?

I'm keen.

it's a date then.....

DX grunt
17th March 2018, 08:06 PM
it's a date then.....

Fantastic. I'll be in touch.

mudski
18th March 2018, 08:02 PM
Removed the alternator. I had to remove it with the mounting bracket that bolts to the engine block as the A/C pipe is about 5mm behind the lower mounting bolt so I couldn't remove said bolt. Lucky the bracket wasn't too hard to remove...

katwoman
18th March 2018, 09:45 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/197.jpg
Took the usual dargo shot...

MB TD42
18th March 2018, 10:17 PM
Checked the Valve clearances on the TD42...as well as I could...lol...washed the dust from last weekend off.
Bought a spare steering box and cheap GME3200UHF together for $120 all up

jay see
18th March 2018, 10:24 PM
Got it dirty [emoji4]

PeeBee
24th March 2018, 06:38 PM
Installed a 'quick t verter' device to the charge circuit of the main alternator. Its a rectifier pack that splits the load across 18 diodes instead of the standard 6, hence allows for the rectifier diodes to individually run cooler and increases charge efficiency. What I have found since installing it is that the main battery voltage does not drop when on high beam, all driving lights on. Before installing it the voltage would gradually fall and the alternator could not keep up - is a small mitsubishi pajero 100amp unit installed by Brunswick Diesel as part of the Chev conversion. There is a bit of minor work to do to the alternator, but looks good. here is the link to the device. I and MB have purchased the 420amp units. They don't boost the output, just decrease the load over more diodes. Both our Chevs run hot and alternator death has become the norm of late - hoping this fixes it.

https://alternatorparts.com/quicktifier-external-bridge-rectifier.html

jay see
24th March 2018, 07:00 PM
A successful day.

Installed the redarc gauge

Took it to the car wash to leave the mud behind.

Rotated the tyres well overdue, but it's now done.

Loaded up the trailer with all the bigger things that can stay in there for a few days in preparation for a Thursday night departure.

Fixed the Uhf issues, I hope.

And gave it a well deserved bath (between the showers) and vacuum.

Scrubs up alright. She'll be 21 towards the end of this year.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/230.jpg

Bacho86
24th March 2018, 10:31 PM
Replaced the damaged rear abs sensor after picking up a second hand part from patrolapart this morning

Hodge
25th March 2018, 01:32 PM
Just ripped out the cruise control vacuum/motor and the pull-cable all the way to the pump.
Gained ample room for the Catch can. Perfect spot.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/239.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/240.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/241.jpg

MB
25th March 2018, 03:37 PM
Installed a 'quick t verter' device to the charge circuit of the main alternator. Its a rectifier pack that splits the load across 18 diodes instead of the standard 6, hence allows for the rectifier diodes to individually run cooler and increases charge efficiency. What I have found since installing it is that the main battery voltage does not drop when on high beam, all driving lights on. Before installing it the voltage would gradually fall and the alternator could not keep up - is a small mitsubishi pajero 100amp unit installed by Brunswick Diesel as part of the Chev conversion. There is a bit of minor work to do to the alternator, but looks good. here is the link to the device. I and MB have purchased the 420amp units. They don't boost the output, just decrease the load over more diodes. Both our Chevs run hot and alternator death has become the norm of late - hoping this fixes it.

https://alternatorparts.com/quicktifier-external-bridge-rectifier.html

Cheers again Philstar for kindly getting these Quicktifier jobbies in mate! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/243.jpgI’m running a bit behind your efforts mate but managed this arvo to bolt the 170amp GQTD42 alt back in after its birthday with 3 x phase wires at the ready! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/244.jpg Just needs final connections now and away we winch/fridges/lights/fans galore up and running again for now ;-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/245.jpg

PeeBee
25th March 2018, 06:32 PM
Yeah, ran the truck today, alternator now pushing out 14.4-14.5V with this device connected. Smashing out the charge to the batteries.

MB
25th March 2018, 06:48 PM
Awesome mate, excited for phase connect up soon too, thankyou!
Have you been making GQ Cappuccinos in the garage again, sucking that 1,000Amp storage dry :-)

PeeBee
25th March 2018, 06:53 PM
Nah, repacked the garage so the wife's car could get back inside the humidicrib, then spent the arvo at the daughters doing maintenance on their house - bloody husband has 3 left thumbs and is absolutely skill-less - but he tries, so that's a start. Lined up for more over the easter break as well.

Reminds me, need to order some more coffee pods!

Winnie
25th March 2018, 07:06 PM
Nah, repacked the garage so the wife's car could get back inside the humidicrib, then spent the arvo at the daughters doing maintenance on their house - bloody husband has 3 left thumbs and is absolutely skill-less - but he tries, so that's a start. Lined up for more over the easter break as well.

Reminds me, need to order some more coffee pods!Don't tell me you are down to your last 300

Sent from my SM-T385 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
25th March 2018, 07:08 PM
Don't tell me you are down to your last 300

Sent from my SM-T385 using Tapatalk

Yep, did a check and only have 50 coffee and 40 chai tea and 20 chocolate, so just placed an order for another 150!! Guy's gotta have coffee in the morning.

garett
28th March 2018, 07:35 PM
i nearly stalled it pulling up to the lights.... forgot to take it out of 2nd gear, been driving autos all day.

mudski
29th March 2018, 07:28 AM
Finally got the shitter running again. New alternator, new plug to the alternator and a noo 100amp dude, then put all the air intake piping back on all the dash lights came on and the alternator is charging. Yay!

Yeti's Beast
29th March 2018, 08:02 AM
Put a boost gauge in the beast. It’s weird watching the rollercoaster boost pattern the ZD30 has. Not linear like most Turbo’s

Hodge
29th March 2018, 10:05 AM
Put a boost gauge in the beast. It’s weird watching the rollercoaster boost pattern the ZD30 has. Not linear like most Turbo’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProThat shits easily tamed with needle and Dawes.
The factory "Yoyo" boost is rubbish.

Yeti's Beast
29th March 2018, 10:13 AM
That shits easily tamed with needle and Dawes.
The factory "Yoyo" boost is rubbish.

Yep now it’s decision time. Use Dawes or Tillix?