PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Clunk
25th November 2018, 07:45 PM
Replaced it as a daily driver with my dear old departed dad's Mitsubishi Pajero.

Taken the Patrol off the road and parked it up..... Time for the slow process of giving it some TLC.Then will decide whether I'm going to keep it or not.

Plasnart
25th November 2018, 08:00 PM
Replaced it as a daily driver with my dear old departed dad's Mitsubishi Pajero.

Taken the Patrol off the road and parked it up..... Time for the slow process of giving it some TLC.Then will decide whether I'm going to keep it or not.

Mate I'm in a similar position. Don't use the Patrol like I used to, but month by month the insurance sucks my account then every year the govt hits me with rego. Big bucks for the old faithful sitting under the carport. Honestly thinking of offloading the Trol and the daily driver xtrail and buying a Paj as a capable 4b but able to use as a daily too. Save heaps of $$, two back to one. What year is your dear old departed dad's Paj Clunky?

Clunk
25th November 2018, 08:09 PM
Mate I'm in a similar position. Don't use the Patrol like I used to, but month by month the insurance sucks my account then every year the govt hits me with rego. Big bucks for the old faithful sitting under the carport. Honestly thinking of offloading the Trol and the daily driver xtrail and buying a Paj as a capable 4b but able to use as a daily too. Save heaps of $$, two back to one. What year is your dear old departed dad's Paj Clunky?It's a 2003 NP Exceed 3.5ltr petty, with around 230k on the clock. Tell you what, it's bloody nice having an auto again and also a car with a half decent turning circle. More comfortable than the old GQ and oddly enough, more room.

Plasnart
25th November 2018, 08:30 PM
It's a 2003 NP Exceed 3.5ltr petty, with around 230k on the clock. Tell you what, it's bloody nice having an auto again and also a car with a half decent turning circle. More comfortable than the old GQ and oddly enough, more room.

Yeah im looking at NT's (forgive me for discussing this on my beloved Patrol forum). Have to get my arse into one though before I go from contemplation to serious. Could tow the van, do what I want in the bush (passed the urge for serious offroading) and be the daily. Save me over 3k a year on current two vehicle regos and insurance when I only need one ride. Will break my heart though to sell the 42TD Trol. I've choked up in the past selling loved vehicles but you gotta move on. :( Next step for me is to test drive Pajs to see if we fit then make a decision.

Clunk
25th November 2018, 08:51 PM
Yeah im looking at NT's (forgive me for discussing this on my beloved Patrol forum). Have to get my arse into one though before I go from contemplation to serious. Could tow the van, do what I want in the bush (passed the urge for serious offroading) and be the daily. Save me over 3k a year on current two vehicle regos and insurance when I only need one ride. Will break my heart though to sell the 42TD Trol. I've choked up in the past selling loved vehicles but you gotta move on. :( Next step for me is to test drive Pajs to see if we fit then make a decision.Yeah I must admit, I'm not so emotional attached to this GQ, I was with the first one and still miss it now...... Don't think I'll get another TD42 if I was to let this one go though.

Plasnart
25th November 2018, 09:33 PM
Yeah I must admit, I'm not so emotional with this GQ, I was with the first one and still miss it now...... Don't think I'll get another TD42 if I was to let this one go though.

Yeah its by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. My freedom machine. Go anywhere, any time. But life goes on and right now it just sits there. Every time I look at it, it says c'mon lets go somewhere, I'll take you there, we've had so many good times!

I really don't know just yet but if it's just parked up it should take someone else out there. There's nothing like this vehicle available now. :(

the evil twin
25th November 2018, 11:30 PM
Took my Y62 for its first off road jaunt today... dang they are good!

Sure got a lot more nooks and crannies for the Mud to get into tho...

Hodge
2nd December 2018, 02:04 PM
Just replaced my speedo pinion with a 15 cog (brown). It brought my 3.9 diff's on 33" tyres back to 99-100% accuracy. It was 9-10% out prior to that.
Just confirmed before with 2 different GPS units. Should have done this ages ago!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77052&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77053&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77054&stc=1

PeeBee
2nd December 2018, 05:02 PM
Finally got to tie rod and drag link today, straight forward, but they are noticeably bigger than the originals. Was going to have a crack at the spacers, but simply ran out of time. One thing though, when you upgrade from stock to aftermarket, the steering damper brackets are supplied loose, or at least they were on mine, so you need to measure the original positions off the stock units otherwise you don't have a starting point for mounting the damper.

Installed the last of the AGM/Cranker batteries in the back, so now set up for any extended rear winching, plus base camping with the solar will now be a breeze. Now have the 36V I wanted for the welder also. Each battery 130ah and 1000cca when fully charged.

Plasnart
2nd December 2018, 05:41 PM
Just replaced my speedo pinion with a 15 cog (brown). It brought my 3.9 diff's on 33" tyres back to 99-100% accuracy. It was 9-10% out prior to that.
Just confirmed before with 2 different GPS units. Should have done this ages ago!

Nice Hodgey! Can you do a quick DIY thread if you get time? Something I've long wanted/needed to do. As you say, 10% accuracy sucks!

Bidja
2nd December 2018, 06:31 PM
X 2 on that Hodge mate. On 33s and easy calc @ 100ks (10+bit %). Rather not be watching for flashing lights behind.

Hodge
2nd December 2018, 06:34 PM
Nice Hodgey! Can you do a quick DIY thread if you get time? Something I've long wanted/needed to do. As you say, 10% accuracy sucks!

Plassy! It's a 5 minute job. Not even...
You will need a 10mm socket and a pair of circlip pliers.

Sensor on transfer case, drivers side. Easily accesible. Can't miss it. Undo 10mm bolt holding the sensor assembly in. Slide sensor out.
Undo the circlip holding the cog on the end. Slide replacement cog on and re-fit circlip. Slide sensor assembly back in, re-do 10mm bolt.

Enjoy your speedo not bullshitting to you any more!

MORE than happy to take extra pics for you if you need mate! Let us know.

Here is a table if you need to work out what color you need, etc...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3423

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77057&stc=1

Plasnart
2nd December 2018, 07:32 PM
Plassy! It's a 5 minute job. Not even...
You will need a 10mm socket and a pair of circlip pliers.

Sensor on transfer case, drivers side. Easily accesible. Can't miss it. Undo 10mm bolt holding the sensor assembly in. Slide sensor out.
Undo the circlip holding the cog on the end. Slide replacement cog on and re-fit circlip. Slide sensor assembly back in, re-do 10mm bolt.

Enjoy your speedo not bullshitting to you any more!

MORE than happy to take extra pics for you if you need mate! Let us know.

Here is a table if you need to work out what color you need, etc...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3423

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77057&stc=1

Thanks Hodgey, and TuffTD42 for the link!

DX grunt
2nd December 2018, 09:14 PM
Due to my new business venture, I've dropped my comprehensive insurance down to Fire/Theft only. Only driven it for about a tank of fuel over the past 3-5 months and still have winter diesel in the tanks. Gotta give it a good run and change to summer diesel. Seriously thinking about de-registering it for 6 months each year, and smash the camping over Autumn/Winter each year so I can get the camp fires going. In many cases, fire restrictions start in mid September over in the west. Choices, choices ?????????

taslucas
3rd December 2018, 06:44 AM
A trip to tas will clean the tank out grunt!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Hodge
3rd December 2018, 03:02 PM
I started, gutting and ripping metres and metres of un-needed and overkill vacuum hoses and pipes.
Right now hoses and pipes go up the front of the motor, along passenger wheel arch over the top to the canister on passenger corner and then back again via the firewall to the brake and clutch boosters. The vacuum circuit does a grand tour of the engine bay before its final destination... Stupid.

Vacuum canister will end up drivers side, pretty close to the brake and clutch booster, fed directly from the pump.

Hodge
7th December 2018, 07:45 PM
A few things accomplished today.

Added oil to the viscous hub for better G35 fan lockup. Bit of a mission.
Enormous thanks to @mudski (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=10010) for the guide , help and the hub studs today mate.
Also added some foam surrounds to the radiator , which I didn't even know were meant to be there . Again thanks for @mudski (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=10010) for pointing this out and providing some spare foam.

Happy to report this definitely helped!! Today was it's first major test I like to think.
Drove to Geelong and back today, after quickly stopping over at Darren's. It was 34-36C all the way.
Aircon on, 100kmh most of the way car sat at 84-85C and did not go over 89C. And that was on one of the long haul hills, which I dropped to 4th anyway, as I lost power.
Prior to adding oil, last summer, it would sit and cruise around 88-91!

mudski
7th December 2018, 08:48 PM
Happy to report this definitely helped!! Today was it's first major test I like to think.
Drove to Geelong and back today, after quickly stopping over at Darren's. It was 34-36C all the way.
Aircon on, 100kmh most of the way car sat at 84-85C and did not go over 89C. And that was on one of the long haul hills, which I dropped to 4th anyway, as I lost power.
Prior to adding oil, last summer, it would sit and cruise around 88-91!

Feck the whistle would have been blowing it’s head off on my kettle today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clunk
7th December 2018, 11:02 PM
Went to start it. Wouldn't start. So locked it up again. I think it's upset with me for driving the Pajero for the last week

Avo
8th December 2018, 12:40 AM
Went to start it. Wouldn't start. So locked it up again. I think it's upset with me for driving the Pajero for the last weekYoi fucking what

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clunk
8th December 2018, 12:25 PM
Yoi fucking what

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkPardon????

PeeBee
8th December 2018, 04:46 PM
Front end alignment, found the damaged cable to the rear camera and repaired it, all good. Whilst down at the tyre joint asked about a heavy wall radial in 16" and they have a 'no name tyre that is listed at 10 ply - radial - bit hard to imagine so waiting for more info, and its $145 a tyre.

Yeti's Beast
8th December 2018, 04:48 PM
My Nitto terra grapplers were 10 ply and were free lol
I used to work for the importer

Proud BTrol Owner
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PeeBee
8th December 2018, 05:07 PM
My Nitto terra grapplers were 10 ply and were free lol
I used to work for the importer

Proud BTrol Owner

Any idea what the load rating was?

Yeti's Beast
8th December 2018, 05:08 PM
Any idea what the load rating was?

Let me see, I think I have photos somewhere. I don’t own the car anymore. I crossed to the dark side

Proud BTrol Owner

Yeti's Beast
8th December 2018, 05:10 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/350.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/351.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

PeeBee
8th December 2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks, and who keeps photos of their tyre ratings???????? Glad there is one of you out there.

PeeBee
8th December 2018, 05:27 PM
How did you find these tyres, did they wear well, stood up to punctures, wore evenly, noisy/quiet, compared to other brands would you go back to them?

Yeti's Beast
8th December 2018, 05:30 PM
Thanks, and who keeps photos of their tyre ratings???????? Glad there is one of you out there.

I had an argument with someone about how many ply they were so I took photos to prove my point lol

Proud BTrol Owner

Yeti's Beast
8th December 2018, 05:33 PM
How did you find these tyres, did they wear well, stood up to punctures, wore evenly, noisy/quiet, compared to other brands would you go back to them?

They are a great tyre, not too noisy but you have to expect some noise seeing as they are not a road tyre.
They wore really well and never had a puncture. Being 10 ply they are quite hard and don’t bag out much when on sand but still no problem on the sand at 18 psi and are excellent in the wet.
Definitely would get them again
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/352.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

PeeBee
8th December 2018, 07:05 PM
Good solid feedback, many thanks, will consider them for sure.

Hodge
8th December 2018, 08:17 PM
Tinkered under the hood , relocating some relays etc.
Went for a drive before to grab a pizza and after taking off I had NO brakes. The pedal was stiff as a post ! I shit my pants. I was onto that pedal like a rash, I'm pretty sure i nearly dislodged my seat mounts ... And nothing ! She was not dropping anchors ... Lucky I didn't get up to speed . Clutch worked fine , so I initially thought it can't be vacuum related.
Then it dawned on me I did take a vacuum hose off earlier to measure diameter and it never went back on... Idiot !

This was my first vacuum less experience ...
I was not aware that brakes relied THIS much on vacuum boosting power ? I thought a Bit more extra foot on the pedal will apply enough pressure without vacuum.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
8th December 2018, 08:27 PM
Went for a drive before to grab a pizza and after taking off I had NO brakes. The pedal was stiff as a post ! I shit my pants. I was onto that pedal like a rash, I'm pretty sure i nearly dislodged my seat mounts ... And nothing ! She was not dropping anchors ... Lucky I didn't get up to speed . Clutch worked fine , so I initially thought it can't be vacuum related.
Then it dawned on me I did take a vacuum hose off earlier to measure diameter and it never went back on... Idiot !

I was not aware that brakes relied THIS much on vacuum boosting power ? I thought a Bit more extra foot on the pedal will apply enough pressure without vacuum.

Sent from my SM-N920I using TapatalkScary stuff mate!!! Lucky no one was hurt and sounds like you dodged a massive bullet!

MB
8th December 2018, 08:39 PM
Scary stuff I hear you too Hodgey mate!
Accidentally bumped off a tiny say 2mm rubber cap near the vacuum cannister tinkering last year out bush. Vacuum system checks has now moved up quite high on my daily’s out there, packed my dacks on one hill good and proper :-)

mudski
9th December 2018, 10:08 AM
Getting ready for Cape Jaffa....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/358.jpg

jay see
9th December 2018, 08:35 PM

Sent from my SM-N920I using TapatalkScary shit when the car your driving doesn't do what you want.

Not brakes, but I undid one if the large clamps near the accelerator linkage a while ago and when I put it back on it wasn't in the same spot. Went for a spin and the trol won't pull up, thought it was something with the brakes. Had to drive in the bike lane ended up in 1st with the handbrake up and still didn't come to a complete stop, last straw was to shut down the engine. Popped the bonnet and the screw part of the clamp was on the wrong side of the cable...

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

mudnut
9th December 2018, 10:44 PM

Plenty of go but no whoa!! Did you try and pump the pedal? Did it have any noticeable effect?

Hodge
10th December 2018, 10:38 AM
Plenty of go but no whoa!! Did you try and pump the pedal? Did it have any noticeable effect?

I don't think I did. Would that have helped? I've never been in such circumstances. I just tried to press the pedal a few times really hard, and got zero activity...

MB
10th December 2018, 11:43 AM
If your vac line was completely off Hodgey mate nothing would help there but brute force I would imagine. My little dack crapping experience was likened to a descent vac leak and was overcome by heal & toe keeping the revs up until a safe stopping flat was found for fault finding.

mudnut
10th December 2018, 11:59 AM
I don't think I did. Would that have helped? I've never been in such circumstances. I just tried to press the pedal a few times really hard, and got zero activity...

I really don't know. I was hoping you did it so you could tell us if it worked, or not. You could be brave and try it again and let us know the outcome. :driving2:

stevemc181
10th December 2018, 12:04 PM
I've always had trouble engaging and disengaging the difflock in my 2106 CRD, so I thought I'd give the Mac solenoid mod a go. It has certainly improved it, but I still struggle to get it enagaged at times, I find I need to creep forward or backward and move it pretty sharply left and right to find the sweet spot where it all lines up and the locker enagages. From what I've read this is pretty normal with the factory locker.
Unlocking is now instant, so a great improvement there, as I used to wait ages sometimes for it to unlock.

A couple of before and after pics below, I just used 6mm poly airline and 1/8" BSP fittings that I had at work. The poly airlines I just slid down inside the existing vaccum hoses and put small sping clamps on them. I just drilled a couple of holes in what was left of the factory bracket and mounted the Mac solenoid directly to it.

The factory solenoid:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/359.jpg

These are a great fast acting solenoid, the 532F modification to these is a waterproofing option to make it washdown proof. (Full Part# 45A-GC1-DDBA-1BA-532F)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/360.jpg

The finished job:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/361.jpg

MB
21st December 2018, 06:25 AM
Picked up a new GUTD42T Nissan OEM radiator a few weeks back and had it installed along with tappets adjusted for an upcoming sand trip.
Hopefully these new OEM radiators are as good as its first having lasting 360,000km+ and 17+ years in the old family tank [emoji106]
Old ones still ok, just an insurance policy for the sand and too lazy to clean it for full efficiency no doubt needed forthcoming[emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
21st December 2018, 07:49 AM
Its amazing MB that the body shape does not give away its age, understanding it might have been one of the first GU's in the range. Good to see its still chugging away and doing the service.

mudski
21st December 2018, 07:55 AM
Picked up a new GUTD42T Nissan OEM radiator a few weeks back and had it installed along with tappets adjusted for an upcoming sand trip.
Hopefully these new OEM radiators are as good as its first having lasting 360,000km+ and 17+ years in the old family tank [emoji106]
Old ones still ok, just an insurance policy for the sand and too lazy to clean it for full efficiency no doubt needed forthcoming[emoji106][emoji106]

Nice. I put in a Koyorad radiator in mine. Apparently Koyorad are what Nissan use. Its a far cry better than the OEM copy that was in there. Got one new for around half the price of what Patrol a Part sell them for. Good to have connections. If you ever need any parts like alternators , rads, belts, hoses, filtration, pretty much anything let me know.

mudski
22nd December 2018, 02:55 PM
Uhmm. Feck! Doesn’t look real good...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/404.jpg
The bottom silicone elbow had dirt and all sorts on the inside of it. Couldn’t figure out why as I always made sure the clamps are good and tight. It turns out when I had the Patrol engineered they also changed the intake of the turbo to 4inch. So they had to fab up a new intake pipe to the air box. Well the pipe they used isn’t quite 4inch. So the when clamping up the hose it’s basically pinching in one section and leaving a gap open for all sorts of nasties to get in. Great!

Bidja
22nd December 2018, 04:21 PM
Uhmm. Feck! Doesn’t look real good...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/404.jpg
The bottom silicone elbow had dirt and all sorts on the inside of it. Couldn’t figure out why as I always made sure the clamps are good and tight. It turns out when I had the Patrol engineered they also changed the intake of the turbo to 4inch. So they had to fab up a new intake pipe to the air box. Well the pipe they used isn’t quite 4inch. So the when clamping up the hose it’s basically pinching in one section and leaving a gap open for all sorts of nasties to get in. Great!

That is not nice mate. You just can't trust many out there mate.

mudski
22nd December 2018, 05:26 PM
That is not nice mate. You just can't trust many out there mate.

Yeah 4inch pipe is supposed to be 102mm OD. Same as 102mm ID silicone. But this pipe measures 99.5. Not much but enough to not seal good enough. So I’ve had to use some sos tape to space it out, clamp the home hose, then I used more sos tape on the end of the hose and onto the pipe. Sealing it up good.
I wonder if this is the cause of the turbo leaking oil on the outlet side. The inlet is dry of oil as the catch can is doing its job, but the outlet and inter cooler have oil right through it. Not a lot but it’s visible when you remove one of the inter cooler hoses.
Not sure if this is normal though.

Bidja
22nd December 2018, 06:06 PM
Yeah 4inch pipe is supposed to be 102mm OD. Same as 102mm ID silicone. But this pipe measures 99.5. Not much but enough to not seal good enough. So I’ve had to use some sos tape to space it out, clamp the home hose, then I used more sos tape on the end of the hose and onto the pipe. Sealing it up good.
I wonder if this is the cause of the turbo leaking oil on the outlet side. The inlet is dry of oil as the catch can is doing its job, but the outlet and inter cooler have oil right through it. Not a lot but it’s visible when you remove one of the inter cooler hoses.

Yeah, my CC (Provent 200) lets a bit of oil vapor thru as one would expect and can feel a fair amount the oil smear both sides of turbo. Not dripping but visible and easily wiped away. Not sure of your turbo build but CRD 2052v Garrett being oil /air cooled, use the oil pressure to centralize the thrust bearings to run true. There looks like a lot of abrasive action against your comp wheel, what is the bearing / journal build for your turbo?

With CRD 2052v shaft bearings being oil pressurized and with that much grit going thru, recon my seals would have a hard time.

mudski
22nd December 2018, 06:13 PM
Yeah, my CC lets a bit of oil vapor thru as one would expect and can feel a fair amount the oil smear both sides of turbo. Not dripping but visible and easily wiped away. Not sure of your turbo build but CRD 2052v Garrett being oil /air cooled, use the oil pressure to centralize the thrust bearings to run true. There looks like a lot of abrasive action against your comp wheel, what is the bearing / journal build for your turbo?

With CRD 2052v shaft bearings being oil pressurized and with that much grit going thru, recon my seals would have a hard time.

My turbo has roller bearings. I checked and there was zero play in the shaft so I suppose that’s good. I’m just concerned of engine damage more than turbo. But the motor has only done circa 35 thou since the build three years ago so I’m hoping there little to no damage. Anyhow if it’s rooted then so be it. But it still pulls Jesus from its cross so there can’t be much wrong.
I do think it’s time to ditch this fatz air box and put something real in there. But I need to move the six battery first. Next years resolution. If I don’t burn the fecking then first. Haha!

Bidja
22nd December 2018, 06:33 PM
My turbo has roller bearings. I checked and there was zero play in the shaft so I suppose that’s good. I’m just concerned of engine damage more than turbo. But the motor has only done circa 35 thou since the build three years ago so I’m hoping there little to no damage. Anyhow if it’s rooted then so be it. But it still pulls Jesus from its cross so there can’t be much wrong.
I do think it’s time to ditch this fatz air box and put something real in there. But I need to move the six battery first. Next years resolution. If I don’t burn the fecking then first. Haha!

I mentioned the turbo bearing, as if the bearings were oil fed like mine, the seals may have gone and could throw oil. May not be the case for your build.

Any nasties might have just blown right on thru. Limited sand /dust for you maybe.

Guess Radius LS1 be one up from Fatz or a big bgrrr (cyclonic) from Donaldson.

PeeBee
22nd December 2018, 07:48 PM

Mudski, there is no longer 4" anything. Its either 100NB(nominal bore ) pipe which has differing wall thickness depending on the schedule or pressure rating, so it could be 3mm or 4.5 or 6 or 8,,,Wall thickness,, the point being it is a nominal dimension because it is a hot formed product, so internal dimension will vary a bit, but the OD will grow more than the ID - if that makes sense? Now there is 100mm tube which is a cold drawn product and is dimensionally accurate on the OD, and its ID will shrink as the wall thickness increases. So, if you measure 99.5mm on the OD its odds on to be 100mm tube. Nominal ID would then be twice whatever the wall thickness is. If the silicone tubing is still made to imperial, then there is your problem, and the only way out is to squash it with the hose clamp to get the seal. Hope this helps in some way, but not intended to do your head in!!!

Bidja
22nd December 2018, 09:03 PM
Mark, I am sure you will remove the cooler and give her a good flush out as the oil residue around the place probably caught some of the crap being sucked in mate.

mudski
22nd December 2018, 10:02 PM
Mudski, there is no longer 4" anything. Its either 100NB(nominal bore ) pipe which has differing wall thickness depending on the schedule or pressure rating, so it could be 3mm or 4.5 or 6 or 8,,,Wall thickness,, the point being it is a nominal dimension because it is a hot formed product, so internal dimension will vary a bit, but the OD will grow more than the ID - if that makes sense? Now there is 100mm tube which is a cold drawn product and is dimensionally accurate on the OD, and its ID will shrink as the wall thickness increases. So, if you measure 99.5mm on the OD its odds on to be 100mm tube. Nominal ID would then be twice whatever the wall thickness is. If the silicone tubing is still made to imperial, then there is your problem, and the only way out is to squash it with the hose clamp to get the seal. Hope this helps in some way, but not intended to do your head in!!!

The pipe you speak of is different to what is sold for exhaust and also, applications such as this. The pipe is made at 102mm or 4inch OD. In the exhaust industry anyway, I sell mild steel, aluminised and stainless steel daily. All have 1.6mm wall thickness. We, at work, at one stage decided to import from another, ahem asian company, we got samples first and their pipe was marked as 4inch, or 102mm. But was actually 100mm. The issue there was no expanded couplers, joiners, elbows, flex joins anything we had in our stock which is made to correct specs in 4inch would be a correct fit. Let alone the quality of steel work horrendous.
So. With all silicone tubing, which we make, import, sell and export ourselves to most resellers you see online and in stores, its all made to the exact specs. 4inch ID or 102mm.

mudski
22nd December 2018, 10:08 PM
I mentioned the turbo bearing, as if the bearings were oil fed like mine, the seals may have gone and could throw oil. May not be the case for your build.

Any nasties might have just blown right on thru. Limited sand /dust for you maybe.

Guess Radius LS1 be one up from Fatz or a big bgrrr (cyclonic) from Donaldson.

Yeah possible. Im not really up to speed on this part mate. The Radius LS1 box looks much better, or going a different air box way again.

PeeBee
23rd December 2018, 12:17 AM
The pipe you speak of is different to what is sold for exhaust and also, applications such as this. The pipe is made at 102mm or 4inch OD. In the exhaust industry anyway, I sell mild steel, aluminised and stainless steel daily. All have 1.6mm wall thickness. We, at work, at one stage decided to import from another, ahem asian company, we got samples first and their pipe was marked as 4inch, or 102mm. But was actually 100mm. The issue there was no expanded couplers, joiners, elbows, flex joins anything we had in our stock which is made to correct specs in 4inch would be a correct fit. Let alone the quality of steel work horrendous.
So. With all silicone tubing, which we make, import, sell and export ourselves to most resellers you see online and in stores, its all made to the exact specs. 4inch ID or 102mm.

OK, gotcha, hope I never come across it in an industrial environment thats for sure.

PeeBee
26th December 2018, 06:19 PM
Installed the trailing arm spacers. Took about 5 hours all up and decided to trim the front of the passenger side mount to maintain a good clearance. Took it for a spin, seemed fine, maybe nose appeared to be pointing a bit higher than before - maybe not? Straight forward job, just need a trolley jack, couple of bottle jacks, a safety stand under the chassis, 24mm and 14mm sockets and you are away. Front mudflaps are going back on and with luck the wheels should now clear them.

Hodge
26th December 2018, 08:57 PM
Installed the trailing arm spacers. Took about 5 hours all up and decided to trim the front of the passenger side mount to maintain a good clearance. Took it for a spin, seemed fine, maybe nose appeared to be pointing a bit higher than before - maybe not? Straight forward job, just need a trolley jack, couple of bottle jacks, a safety stand under the chassis, 24mm and 14mm sockets and you are away. Front mudflaps are going back on and with luck the wheels should now clear them.Good job . Still have to do mine.

PeeBee
26th December 2018, 10:17 PM
I started out with about 1o to 12mm clearance between the bar in front of the diff - can't remember its name for the life of me but its one of the ones I replaced with the 4140 units, and the bracket that is welded to the diff housing. I carefully used a 5" angle grinder with a thin cutting blade to trim this protrusion back to give me about 20mm clearance on both of the legs. It took all of 5 minutes but just watch the clearance on the knuckle as its very close to the blade and easily nicked - I did this a couple of times but nothing that would affect its strength.

A short podgie bar and a 8mm punch will also help. Taking you time you will find the job easy and slow. You may need 2 bottle jacks also, one to use under the front bolted connection on the arm and the other on top of the arm, mounted up into the shocker tower, to push the rear hole into alignment. I greased my bolts up and all they took was a light tap to get them into place. I also greased the two rubber mounts donuts on the rear spigot to make the assy slide in a bit easier. The front anti sway bar need to have the vertical mount rod wound down as the assy wont bolt back up to the control arm as its pushed forward. I also measured the front tailshaft as being 20mm further pulled apart based on the witness mark where the slide joint sits.

Bidja
26th December 2018, 11:18 PM
Phil the only thing that bothers me with with spacing fwd the radius arm is that increased extended length position of the front uni drive slide joint (less bearing load face/area). Maybe not an issue but having no mud flaps does not really bother me. Might rig up something up off the side rails. I also have 2 " lift, use 2 deg caster correction with 33s. I will leave mine as is. My only concern is not being able run chains on frot wheels, but those days are not common for me now.

PeeBee
26th December 2018, 11:25 PM
Phil the only thing that bothers me with with spacing fwd the radius arm is that increased extended length position of the front uni drive slide joint (less bearing load face/area). Maybe not an issue but having no mud flaps does not really bother me. Might rig up something up off the side rails. I also have 2 " lift, use 2 deg caster correction with 33s. I will leave mine as is. My only concern is not being able run chains on frot wheels, but those days are not common for me now.

Look, all good points. I think there is more than adequate engaged length to handle the torque to the front wheel, but saying that its not how it was designed to begin with and I dont know how much 'over design factor of safety' is in the original design either. I am running a similar setup to yours, maybe 3" on the front, castor correction bushes and 33". Running chains for me is a potential issue on both front and back when it gets a bit hairy. I also have noticed the job the mud flaps actually do in keeping the mud and stones off the ARB side rails and step - not much door clearance to step and a bit of paint crunching does no one any good. I will see how this pans out and worse thing that happens is I break something and come home in rear wheel drive, and then have to get a custom jobbie.

Bidja
27th December 2018, 12:50 AM
Look, all good points. I think there is more than adequate engaged length to handle the torque to the front wheel, but saying that its not how it was designed to begin with and I dont know how much 'over design factor of safety' is in the original design either. I am running a similar setup to yours, maybe 3" on the front, castor correction bushes and 33". Running chains for me is a potential issue on both front and back when it gets a bit hairy. I also have noticed the job the mud flaps actually do in keeping the mud and stones off the ARB side rails and step - not much door clearance to step and a bit of paint crunching does no one any good. I will see how this pans out and worse thing that happens is I break something and come home in rear wheel drive, and then have to get a custom jobbie.

Would be interesting to know your uni to uni centers (shaft length) as compared against similar stock build set up. Your current lengths may actually be near original build state. Maybe someone with unmodified coils (close to stock build spec) could measure their uni to uni center length and we could determine the change.

It is not so much the torque having an adverse impact, possible concern is the side loading on bearings due to the unsupported increased length, thinking mainly any out of balance in shaft. Maybe over thinking it.

Recently modified my old chains to fit the 31.5"(for GU), that I use to run on my 76 FJ45 SWB and of course guard clearance was never concern. Out with the highlift jack, up all corners (one at a time) hook on and on your way. So good. Now with the 33's not a chance, comes so close full lock..Very disappointing.

PeeBee
27th December 2018, 07:35 AM
The failure will be from the spline interface length if anything. The engagement length will take into account the clearances and how much the shaft joint is actually 'whipping' at the joint itself. I would not worry about it to be honest as the drive angle has flattened out a little bit to compensate for any centreline issue I think. The torque comes into it as the spline length is less and therefor there is less area on the spline to absorb or transfer the torque. In an extreme example, the spline would begin to deform and then get sloppy. Thanks for the heads up re the chains - I will trial fit a set before actually having to use them - will perhaps be the determining factor in if the flaps get refitted or not.

Bidja
27th December 2018, 09:19 AM
Yeah the main issue here, "is there enough clearance between tyre and body work to meet individual user requirements". Will consider the radius arm spacer mod and maybe cut the mud flap bracket (inside corner) away to provide greater clearance at full steering lock (I carry a hacksaw). Other works on the go just now.

Yes, the reduced bearing area on spline face would subject the spline to greater shear loading forces from the torque produced and even more resulting from the rapid deceleration forces that can be experienced from variable driving conditions. Agree, the risk of failure to spline and pinion bearings is low. So many engine builds/variations are coupled up with these drive trains and the design safety factor would be high say 5-7 (certainly not 2), recon the uni joints would let us know if something was not quite right.

jay see
27th December 2018, 10:57 AM
PeeBee.

The only time I was rubbing against the mudflap was when I had 35s and that was only on full lock, with 2" lift and 2 degree castor. Now with 33s it's not problem at all.

PeeBee
27th December 2018, 11:02 AM
PeeBee.

The only time I was rubbing against the mudflap was when I had 35s and that was only on full lock, with 2" lift and 2 degree castor. Now with 33s it's not problem at all.

I think mine are a bit mangled! Do you think the rim offset affects things also?

Rossco
27th December 2018, 11:09 AM
I think mine are a bit mangled! Do you think the rim offset affects things also?Probably not much TBH, GU arches are hugely bigger than GQ ones, mines had a fair "massage" and spacers and is good now. .

jay see
27th December 2018, 11:44 AM
Probably not much TBH, GU arches are hugely bigger than GQ ones, mines had a fair "massage" and spacers and is good now. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkThere you go PeeBee you just need to "massage" it a but more..

Bidja
27th December 2018, 12:51 PM
Well my GUIV arches are just not big enough then. 2" lift, use 2 deg caster correction M/T 33x12.5R17 on Dynamic17X8/+10 offset. Rubs flaps heaps on 1/2 to full lock (rear of whl passing in under arch cavity). Easy to fix leave mud flaps off. Never used em on other vehicles, will just get ripped off any way.

I gave up riding my push bike with cardboard spoke clangers yrs ago...was sooo much fun

Hodge
27th December 2018, 05:51 PM
For a while now I've had shitty floating floorboards underlay as my rear compartment sun barrier... Yes you read right... Floating floor boards underlay silver side out.
It began shitting me always re-taping it back to the window , albeit it actually doing it's intended job.
I saw these static cling windows things in Autobarn catalogue. And they were on special so thought why not give them a go...
https://www.autobarn.com.au/streetwize-static-cling-1200x450mm-black

C*** of a job @ 38C ambient, but the very cold beverages kept up the momentum and motivation. Happy with the outcome . Time will tell, how they go or how long they last.

Before:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77200&stc=1

After:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77201&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77202&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77203&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77204&stc=1

Bidja
27th December 2018, 06:05 PM
Hodge looks good mate. How do think it would stand up against dogs nosing and pawing at it. Durability and does it cling on well?

Hodge
27th December 2018, 06:56 PM
Hodge looks good mate. How do think it would stand up against dogs nosing and pawing at it. Durability and does it cling on well?It clings well mate. It's the same stuff as a lot of those L and P plates that just clings to the glass.... If you know the stuff I'm talking about.
I applied it using the window tint method. Water spray on both and then bond and iron out with wet cloth ... Worked well.

Dogs pawing at it ? Don't think it would last long ... It's one of those things that is fine until disturbed .
In saying that, mines been on for a few hours... Time will tell. It's also one of those things that you can't see in from outside but can see out , from inside so now , I can again somewhat see things on the reverse mirror.

Bidja
27th December 2018, 07:35 PM
It clings well mate. It's the same stuff as a lot of those L and P plates that just clings to the glass.... If you know the stuff I'm talking about.
I applied it using the window tint method. Water spray on both and then bond and iron out with wet cloth ... Worked well.

Dogs pawing at it ? Don't think it would last long ... It's one of those things that is fine until disturbed .
In saying that, mines been on for a few hours... Time will tell. It's also one of those things that you can't see in from outside but can see out , from inside so now , I can again somewhat see things on the reverse mirror.

Seeing out is a good thing. The dogs are pretty good these days as they have a yrs behind them now. Might go have a look and give it a go, especially at those $$s.

Currently use those rubber cup suction hold on shades, but do not cover all. Also use those sleeve slip overs for the side doors which are real good for sleeping in the back of veh to keep mozzies out with windows down a bit....

PeeBee
28th December 2018, 05:04 PM
With @MB's words still ringing in my ears, I trimmed 30mm off my rear bar grader blade and softened up the angle profile as well - looks a lot better and everything still protected

Hodge
29th December 2018, 01:22 PM
Gave it a quick lube and filters refresh. Just in time before some heavy rain kicked in.
Tomorrow will do the diffs , transfer and cog box.

Have to go out and find some sort of a oil pump / plunger as my Tom thumb shit it's self.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/447.jpg

PeeBee
30th December 2018, 07:07 PM
Cut and polish, wax goes on tomorrow then sort out the front mudflaps - again.

garett
31st December 2018, 01:18 AM
Missing the old girl.

Rodm
31st December 2018, 03:00 PM
ARB 60 litre fridge! Have wanted one for ages, will make a huge difference to our camping trips.

PeeBee
31st December 2018, 05:11 PM
Cut and polish, wax goes on tomorrow then sort out the front mudflaps - again.

Mudflaps on, and they dont drag on the tyres- great, first time in maybe 10 yrs this hasn't happened! Small things can deliver such joy.

Yeti's Beast
31st December 2018, 05:24 PM
Gave it a quick lube and filters refresh. Just in time before some heavy rain kicked in.
Tomorrow will do the diffs , transfer and cog box.

Have to go out and find some sort of a oil pump / plunger as my Tom thumb shit it's self.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/447.jpg

Your garage floor is too neat [emoji1787]

Proud BTrol Owner

Hodge
31st December 2018, 05:27 PM
I have a spare roll or 2 you can have mate :)
Absolute perfect oil absorbance...

Your garage floor is too neat [emoji1787]

Proud BTrol Owner

rusty_nail
31st December 2018, 05:49 PM
ARB 60 litre fridge! Have wanted one for ages, will make a huge difference to our camping trips.

hey mate, nice setup. i have the outback drawers and cage setup also but i just reinstalled for the first time in 5 years. any change you can take some snaps of how your parcel shelf mounts on to the roof etc? mine is currently twisting and i cant work out what i have done wrong. thanks in advance mate!

rusty_nail
31st December 2018, 05:50 PM
Missing the old girl.

how you doing mate, doesnt sound like your enjoying the UK at all? have you spoken to your missus about it? moving OS is such a big thing, surely you have had some say in the whole ordeal?

the evil twin
31st December 2018, 06:23 PM
Took 'Moby the White Whale' down to the local dealership for its 10K service to see in the new year.

Gave me 10% off the service fee... yeah, yeah I know it was 100% overpriced anyway.
Fixed, at least temporarily, the Satnav dodgy start-up fault instead of claiming fault couldn't be replicated (no charge nor should there be)
Registered the TPMS sensors for the 35's (no charge even tho they could have)
Plugged my Ultragauge back into the OBD port (which was nice of them)
Left the smart alternator shunt disconnected (which was also nice of them... yeah, yeah I know they prob didn't notice but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt).

So far so good, altho I have never had a hassle with my local dealership over the years anyway.

garett
31st December 2018, 08:15 PM
how you doing mate, doesnt sound like your enjoying the UK at all? have you spoken to your missus about it? moving OS is such a big thing, surely you have had some say in the whole ordeal?

I did put the old girl into storage with my camp gear and some other stuff. Food and drink in this place is below average a long way below

Bidja
31st December 2018, 08:45 PM
I did put the old girl into storage with my camp gear and some other stuff. Food and drink in this place is below average a long way below

Recall you were having difficulty in getting onto a good coffee bean, hope the brewing up has improved to your liking mate.

garett
31st December 2018, 09:23 PM
Recall you were having difficulty in getting onto a good coffee bean, hope the brewing up has improved to your liking mate.

Found some ok beans, found a place that sends a different coffee a week, trying this until i find a good coffee.

Clunk
31st December 2018, 09:30 PM
Food and drink in this place is below average a long way below

Funny you should say that..... Exactly what I thought when I first move over here..... Still think that about the fish and chips to he honest.

Not sure what soft drink you're drinking but I never drank anything with sweeteners in it.

Which part of the UK did you go to?

garett
31st December 2018, 10:09 PM
Funny you should say that..... Exactly what I thought when I first move over here..... Still think that about the fish and chips to he honest.

Not sure what soft drink you're drinking but I never drank anything with sweeteners in it.

Which part of the UK did you go to?

Apparently the sugar tax got introduced so nothing has much sugar, hence the sweeteners have been added. We are near watford.

Clunk
31st December 2018, 10:54 PM
Apparently the sugar tax got introduced so nothing has much sugar, hence the sweeteners have been added. We are near watford.Well no wonder..... There's a huge gap there

As far a reducing sugar goes, I think its a good idea, they should incorporate it into all fast foods etc. Used to drink quite a bit of coke but haven't done so for a few years. Drink Coke No sugar now, ues it tastes different and not a nice but I drink less of it and more water so got to be a good thing.
Just drink fruit juice or milk based drinks, they're currently exempt from the tax.

Big Gags
1st January 2019, 10:43 PM
A mate has a lathe and a milling machine. I recently bought 4 x TREDs recovery tracks and so today I went to his place to get help making up a mount for my Rhino heavy duty roof racks. I was just thinking a threaded rod with some nuts, washers, and wingnuts but he went a bit further than that and machined me up some aluminium posts with tapered caps that fit into the holes in the TREDS. We made 4 x posts but at this stage I am only going to use 2 of them and use a strap to secure the rear. To be honest they are pretty bloody solid and I don't even reckon I would need the strap but I will put it on just to be sure and at some stage I will go back over to his place and make up a bracket for the rear of the TREDs as the holes are not directly above the roof rack. He even drilled a couple of holes in the threaded rods so that I can put padlocks on them - I'm pretty bloody stoked with the results!!!

Bidja
1st January 2019, 11:09 PM
Nice job, noted the two flats at the post base to torque them up in place. Would put at least one post at rear to stop flutter and the padlocks as secondary means of securing the wing nuts (if they backed off). Use of straps when you are accessing them frequently on the day. Have never owned them but could be very useful at times.

Rodm
4th January 2019, 10:03 PM
hey mate, nice setup. i have the outback drawers and cage setup also but i just reinstalled for the first time in 5 years. any change you can take some snaps of how your parcel shelf mounts on to the roof etc? mine is currently twisting and i cant work out what i have done wrong. thanks in advance mate!
Hey mate, yeah no worries I will take some photos tomorrow for you :smiley_thumbs_up:

rusty_nail
4th January 2019, 10:35 PM
Hey mate, yeah no worries I will take some photos tomorrow for you :smiley_thumbs_up:

legend thanks alot!

mudnut
4th January 2019, 11:43 PM
Yesterday I put a kit through a rear brake calliper because when I replaced all the rear brake pads I discovered a rubber dust seal had torn. Was lucky I caught it in time so was able to use wet'n'dry on the piston to smooth down the rust spots. The rubbers seem to get damaged fairly easily, so I will be checking them at each service from now on.

HippoNZ
5th January 2019, 04:51 AM
Hi Big Gags,

I've been eyeing up the 4x4 treds myself over here in NZ through super cheap auto, they are so much cheaper but as the saying goes you get what you pay for or sometimes your just not paying for the brand tax.
They don't stock them in store for me to look at so wondering what your initial thoughts on them are? Do they feel/look cheap and flimsy or do you reckon they would be up for the job?

Cheers

Mc4by
5th January 2019, 12:54 PM
Hi Big Gags,

I've been eyeing up the 4x4 treds myself over here in NZ through super cheap auto, they are so much cheaper but as the saying goes you get what you pay for or sometimes your just not paying for the brand tax.
They don't stock them in store for me to look at so wondering what your initial thoughts on them are? Do they feel/look cheap and flimsy or do you reckon they would be up for the job?

Cheers

I have TREDS from SCA and they are very strong. From all the reading I have done, they compare favourably with Maxtrax and are a lot cheaper.

Rodm
5th January 2019, 06:05 PM
Hey mate, hope these pics help?

rusty_nail
5th January 2019, 06:11 PM
Hey mate, hope these pics help?
773317733077329Perfect, thanks very much!

Mc4by
7th January 2019, 07:05 PM
Installed coil spring spacers in the rear to stop the back end drooping under full away team load.

Big Gags
7th January 2019, 10:34 PM
Hi Big Gags,

Cheers

Hi HippoNZ,

I haven't used them yet but looking at them side by side in the store there did not seem to be a lot of difference. They feel pretty solid to me but I guess I won't know until I have to use them in anger. Hopefully I won't have to use them on my upcoming trip to Tassie but if I do I will try to remember to provide some more details. Cheers, Gags

MB
7th January 2019, 11:00 PM
New to me too and was kindly lent a double set of originals from a great mate here to backup/safeguard a recent few hundred beach SA kms.
Trip leader kindly put himself out front always testing across the softest shell grit coves and honestly self nightmare recovered with a double digging set too. Thankfully warned us tail end pups to high side dune track it for safety purposes [emoji106][emoji106]
BTW: The cheapies fade white unless wrapped or tucked away, UV stabilisation apparently, BASF inhibitors only used on good stuff I’ve experienced in our game too [emoji106][emoji106]

mudski
8th January 2019, 07:04 PM
Open and shut the fridge in it maybe a dozen times today grabbing a cold beer whilst on holidays today.

mudnut
10th January 2019, 05:10 PM
Replaced the radiator fan as cracks are developing at the base of the blades. The new one seems to wobble quite a bit more, so time will tell if it will stay together.

Tip12345
10th January 2019, 08:16 PM
Replaced the exhaust on my gu 2 it went easy . Then the interviewer .. what a nightmare
It's doing my head in

mudski
10th January 2019, 08:23 PM
Near wrote mine off today. I performed a usual overtake procedure of two cars, but the car directly in front of me decided they wanted to also overtake the slow vehicle in front, without looking in their rear view mirror to see if anyone, like me, would be thundering down at WOT in the lane they decided to use! Luckily I was quick enough to hammer on the anchors with little more than a bees dick of space between them and me centre punching them into oblivion!
To top things off they had the nerve to wave their arms at me for their stupidity which near got them, and us, killed. In hind sight I should of just followed them and waited until they stopped and give them and absolute mouthful.

Bacho86
11th January 2019, 06:58 AM
Near wrote mine off today. I performed a usual overtake procedure of two cars, but the car directly in front of me decided they wanted to also overtake the slow vehicle in front, without looking in their rear view mirror to see if anyone, like me, would be thundering down at WOT in the lane they decided to use! Luckily I was quick enough to hammer on the anchors with little more than a bees dick of space between them and me centre punching them into oblivion!
To top things off they had the nerve to wave their arms at me for their stupidity which near got them, and us, killed. In hind sight I should of just followed them and waited until they stopped and give them and absolute mouthful.

Damn that was lucky.... bet you’re glad you did that brake upgrade!!

mudski
12th January 2019, 05:23 PM
Damn that was lucky.... bet you’re glad you did that brake upgrade!!

Yeah the brakes helped a lot in that situation for sure. I tell ya though, if I’d hit him he would have been send into oblivion, I was hard on the pedal in 4th at about 110kph just about to click 5th when he pulled out. I could see the red veins in his eye balls from his side mirror when he looked.

Bidja
12th January 2019, 06:15 PM
That time of the yr.

Changed out the eng oil today, removing filter can, turn / turn and no oil draining out. Next minute oil going every where and was overflowing from top catch tub. Yep drain hole blocked, old muddie wasp plugged her up from the top. She was not happy critter hovering over head. Will be pushing wire up drain pipe from now on. Round chainsaw file worked a treat.

rusty_nail
12th January 2019, 07:59 PM
Gave it a detail. Haven't sent it this clean on a long! Time. Feels nice to look at it so clean.

MB
13th January 2019, 09:06 AM
Just smashed another window, she’s gonna be pissed :-(
Idiot MB and his Yonnie flicking Whipersnipper this time from 20metres :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/01/137.jpg

jay see
13th January 2019, 09:09 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOuch.....

Winnie
13th January 2019, 09:27 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot your fault at least... Shit happens unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PeeBee
13th January 2019, 09:30 AM
Is the window tint film holding it together or just the glass fracture?

Bidja
13th January 2019, 09:49 AM
Previous vehicle, travelling up the Cann Valley Hwy from Cann River, a Vic Roads contractor tractor tow slasher decided to do some gravel planing as we drove past.

Threw few stone up, hit along passenger side and put one against front side window, hell of a bang and lucky for wife, the window shattered but amazingly the tint film held it all in a flexible state. Tough stuff and keeps more than sun out.

Mc4by
13th January 2019, 10:05 AM

When good intentions backfire :(

Bidja
13th January 2019, 10:20 AM
Mark, should not have the cord out so far mate.

Rossco
13th January 2019, 10:34 AM
Oooh bugger [emoji848]

MB
13th January 2019, 10:52 AM
All good, she’ll be right :-) !
Komatsu 35cc commercial grade beast wizzes around 400mm diameter like a catapult.
Good excuse to look into them Gullwing rear doors like Stropp had [emoji106][emoji106]

jay see
13th January 2019, 11:03 AM
Good excuse to look into them Gullwing rear doors like Stropp had [emoji106][emoji106]

Ahh so the plan worked out well.

PeeBee
18th January 2019, 04:18 PM
Installed the new 400w's of solar panels in place of the 120w uits, actually slightly smaller footprint as well, just waiting for a 2 plug into one 'anderson plug' to arrive to do the final connection. Also think I got to the bottom of the clunking and growling under my feet , I lubricated the sway bar rubbers and its appeared to have gone away, so maybe time to replace them.

PeeBee
21st January 2019, 02:20 PM
BFG KM2- 1, Front mudflap - 077637

Winnie
21st January 2019, 03:51 PM
BFG KM2- 1, Front mudflap - 077637Better than my count from the weekend.
BFG KM2 - 0
Stick - 1

Bidja
21st January 2019, 04:13 PM
Phil, you could try just driving straight ahead.
Guess a 50% mod done now anyway.

PeeBee
21st January 2019, 04:54 PM
Phil, you could try just driving straight ahead.
Guess a 50% mod done now anyway.

Was driving in a straight line and the mudflap 'flipped up' and wedged onto the tyre, doing about 90klm/hr and in the time it took from the start of the noise to releasing it, well it was brutal!

Bidja
21st January 2019, 05:07 PM
Was driving in a straight line and the mudflap 'flipped up' and wedged onto the tyre, doing about 90klm/hr and in the time it took from the start of the noise to releasing it, well it was brutal!

Be a racket happening for sure. Would have got you wondering.

Looking at it first, thought a bit unusual that the flap outside edge copping it as on lock would normally be the flap inside edge fowling with tyre.

PeeBee
21st January 2019, 07:16 PM
Be a racket happening for sure. Would have got you wondering.

Looking at it first, thought a bit unusual that the flap outside edge copping it as on lock would normally be the flap inside edge fowling with tyre.

I think the outer edge curled and hit the tyre, then the tread dragged it sideways, and yes it made a hell of a noise. We had been down the beach fishing for 3 days and just about to head onto the bitumen. Maybe the sand pushed it around, anyway its chewed off and bent well out of reverse shape now, so it wont happen again, at least not on that side!

Bidja
21st January 2019, 08:05 PM
I think the outer edge curled and hit the tyre, then the tread dragged it sideways, and yes it made a hell of a noise. We had been down the beach fishing for 3 days and just about to head onto the bitumen. Maybe the sand pushed it around, anyway its chewed off and bent well out of reverse shape now, so it wont happen again, at least not on that side!

The 3 days wetting a line down the beach sounds a good time. Do enjoy walking along looking for gutters and casting some ganged pillies out after salmon. Been a while...

Today, been cleaning out shed so to get to work and start cutting elongated hole in guard for fitting new 4" snorkel and airbox, relocate CC and battery isolator switch. Also need to remove dump pipe as the gasket from turbo to dump may have blown out. Can see exhaust soot under heat shield(yet to remove).

PeeBee
21st January 2019, 08:27 PM
We were on 90 mile beach, about 1klm south of the McGorhan Beach camp area, maybe 10k from Seaspray. Had our own camp and a right out front a gutter about 100m long and maybe 10m wide. We caught a gummy, 2 banjo sharks, 2 big salmon, 2 trevally, 8 flathead and a taylor. Threw them all back except the gummy. Was stinking hot, got sunburnt, had a great time.

Sounds like you will have some interesting time ahead of you. Slow and steady wins the race I reckon. I have been slowly plugging away at mine for the last 5 weeks or so, and its now at the stage of still being operational, but also ready to begin the strip down for the s/c.

Winnie
21st January 2019, 08:33 PM
We were on 90 mile beach, about 1klm south of the McGorhan Beach camp area, maybe 10k from Seaspray. Had our own camp and a right out front a gutter about 100m long and maybe 10m wide. We caught a gummy, 2 banjo sharks, 2 big salmon, 2 trevally, 8 flathead and a taylor. Threw them all back except the gummy. Was stinking hot, got sunburnt, had a great time.

Sounds like you will have some interesting time ahead of you. Slow and steady wins the race I reckon. I have been slowly plugging away at mine for the last 5 weeks or so, and its now at the stage of still being operational, but also ready to begin the strip down for the s/c.Nice one mate, I have camped at Mcgaurans a few times. We are going to a mates house in Loch Sport for the long weekend, so looking forward to that.
The Gwendolyn oven got a work out over the weekend, pimping out pizzas for a few hungry blokes. Very much enjoyed by all and evenly cooked pizzas from top to bottom!

PeeBee
21st January 2019, 08:46 PM
Nice one mate, I have camped at Mcgaurans a few times. We are going to a mates house in Loch Sport for the long weekend, so looking forward to that.
The Gwendolyn oven got a work out over the weekend, pimping out pizzas for a few hungry blokes. Very much enjoyed by all and evenly cooked pizzas from top to bottom!

Great to hear Chris. When I go back to that same campsite, we will come in from McG end as its a lot shorter and the tracks from the south are a tangle of dead ends and you end up driving a long way behind the dunes to find a camp - eventually. I still have 6 ovens left, so come on guys.... get with the strength, ha ha!!!!!

Rossco
21st January 2019, 09:03 PM
Better than my count from the weekend.
BFG KM2 - 0
Stick - 1

Yep she was a bit pooped. . .

Pin-stripe special track that no ones been down for fifty years . . .

Winnie
21st January 2019, 09:21 PM
Pretty bloody cool track though really

Rossco
22nd January 2019, 04:39 AM
Yeah love those ones, certainly away from the riff raff . . .

mudski
22nd January 2019, 04:23 PM
Bought some engine oil for it. $69 for 20Ltrs of Castrol RX Super. Cheap!!!

jack
22nd January 2019, 07:52 PM
Bought some engine oil for it. $69 for 20Ltrs of Castrol RX Super. Cheap!!!

Bargain, where from?

mudski
22nd January 2019, 08:55 PM
Bargain, where from?

Lol sorry mate. Repco.

Hodge
22nd January 2019, 09:19 PM
Bought some engine oil for it. $69 for 20Ltrs of Castrol RX Super. Cheap!!!That's a bloody good price.
How the hell???

jack
22nd January 2019, 09:24 PM
That's a bloody good price.
How the hell???

Not that cheap on the website unfortunatly.

mudski
22nd January 2019, 09:25 PM
That's a bloody good price.
How the hell???

Yeah Repco have it on spesh!

Hodge
22nd January 2019, 09:29 PM
Not that cheap on the website unfortunatly.That's where I went first and it's still 129 there lol.

Clunk
23rd January 2019, 12:23 AM
That's where I went first and it's still 129 there lol.

Sent from my SM-N920I using TapatalkFrom their catalogue
That often is available on Catalogue AU (https://www.catalogueau.com/).

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/01/230.jpg

Hodge
23rd January 2019, 06:18 AM
From their catalogue

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/01/230.jpgCheers clunky .
I went to their site but didn't see the cattledog .
Might go in and invest in some.

mudski
23rd January 2019, 07:02 AM
Cheers clunky .
I went to their site but didn't see the cattledog .
Might go in and invest in some.

Sorry I still call it RX Super from the days of being a Castrol dealer. Its RX Diesel, its the previous RX Super formula. The new formula is now RX Super. Still perfect for the ol'TD42.

Clunk
23rd January 2019, 01:18 PM
From their catalogue

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/01/230.jpgYeah its a bit odd, theyve put it in one of the pages near the back... Not with any of the oils at all

PeeBee
24th January 2019, 06:04 PM
New adapter cable arrived to link the 2 solar panels, connected it all up complete with the in-line volt/amp meter and 21VOC and 0.25amps - Oh no , what now. After going to the effort to test the cables then remove one of the panels to check if the connections on the panels were ok, found it to be the volt/ammeter had died - now would you think that would happen? Anyway put it all back together again, without the volt/ammeter and bingo, 15 amps into the controller at midday - happy with that.

Bidja
24th January 2019, 06:21 PM
You did not connect up wrong polarity when measuring current and stuff the meter fuze?

Modules in parallel?

PeeBee
24th January 2019, 07:07 PM
You did not connect up wrong polarity when measuring current and stuff the meter fuze?

Modules in parallel?

No, not possible as the panels came pre-terminated with anderson plugs and the meter is clearly marked load and supply. Even if the meter is connected incorrectly it has internal protection. Seems something has gone 'pop' on the board inside the controller. Its not serviceable, only cost $50 from memory, and found a copy for $23 on ebay so will give that a try. I am not annoyed about the meter going dead, more the 4 hours of stuffing around in todays sun pulling things apart and re-installing. Anyway, its done now so moving on......

Hodge
27th January 2019, 03:59 PM
Sorry I still call it RX Super from the days of being a Castrol dealer. Its RX Diesel, its the previous RX Super formula. The new formula is now RX Super. Still perfect for the ol'TD42.

I'm a bit confused Marky Mark. There is 3 versions of RX Diesel. RX Diesel, RX Super Diesel & RX Super Diesel CJ-4E9.
So RX Diesel "Super" superseeds RX Diesel ? As in, it's replacing it?
From some quick googling , the Super version has extra additives & is aimed at newer CRD motors whilst still being ok for older motors... But, thats google results, take it with a grain of flour.

Repcos special lasts another week and tomorrow they gonna get more stock, I might grab a few 20L kegs at that price.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77728&stc=1

jack
27th January 2019, 05:15 PM

Ok Mark, so not suitable for the 3l CRD?

mudski
27th January 2019, 08:48 PM
Ok Mark, so not suitable for the 3l CRD?

You could use it, but I wouldn't. When I had my 3Ltr I used the Castrol Magnatec Diesel. I found this oil really quietened the motor down, especially upon start up and warm up.

mudski
27th January 2019, 08:56 PM
I'm a bit confused Marky Mark. There is 3 versions of RX Diesel. RX Diesel, RX Super Diesel & RX Super Diesel CJ-4E9.
So RX Diesel "Super" superseeds RX Diesel ? As in, it's replacing it?
From some quick googling , the Super version has extra additives & is aimed at newer CRD motors whilst still being ok for older motors... But, thats google results, take it with a grain of flour.

Repcos special lasts another week and tomorrow they gonna get more stock, I might grab a few 20L kegs at that price.

When oil companies revise an oil, they will then use that revised oil to then revise the version under under it. Well thats what they did back in my day. Lol. For the TD I would be using the RX Diesel CI-4 variant. The CI-4plus would be better. But for my situation, where my Patrol is not a daily and gets the oil dumped at every 5K, The cheapest is fine.

Bidja
29th January 2019, 12:10 AM
Took a hacksaw blade (body saw) to the GU guard and opened up a hole to receive the 4" recessed snorkel. Yet to be fix in place.

gazq
3rd February 2019, 09:28 PM
I've been saving up for a long time for this. Replaced original radius arms w/castor correcting bushes with these superior hybrid superflex radius arms.

Comparo shot

Fireblade
4th February 2019, 02:05 PM
hows it drive? any wondering?

gazq
4th February 2019, 06:56 PM
hows it drive? any wondering?

Much better. Still needs a wheel alignment, but based on my initial test drive it had improved.

Bidja
6th February 2019, 08:52 AM
Dump wrap and heat shield

Part of my induction upgrade to 4"(snorkel/airbox), I removed the Dump pipe, replaced turbo to exhaust gasket, applied wrap, fitted up a heat shield and applied thermal barrier against firewall. Wrapped down past clutch solenoid and have some heat shield mat'l left over and will protect solenoid.

Exhaust all back installed. Only need to put cooler back on today, general clean up and fire it up.

Edit: I forgot to mention the cuts and bruises. haha

mudski
6th February 2019, 04:47 PM
Dump wrap and heat shield

Part of my induction upgrade to 4"(snorkel/airbox), I removed the Dump pipe, replaced turbo to exhaust gasket, applied wrap, fitted up a heat shield and applied thermal barrier against firewall. Wrapped down past clutch solenoid and have some heat shield mat'l left over and will protect solenoid.

Exhaust all back installed. Only need to put cooler back on today, general clean up and fire it up.

Edit: I forgot to mention the cuts and bruises. haha

The wrap I used on mine you can put your hand on it when it would be screaming hot pre wrap. Works really well.

Bidja
6th February 2019, 06:11 PM
How did you do wrap "burn in"?

Have read to "burn in" at eng idle, bring up to op temp and let idle for further 15min. Did yours smoke much(not mine)? Think mine needs to be driven and get some egt's happening.

Bidja
6th February 2019, 06:22 PM
Completed install of 4" Airbox and snorkel. Also had to re position CC and Dual Aux battery charge select switch(also changed type) as needed more real estate.

Also wrap dump pipe and went past clutch slave and put a heat shield on dump pipe adjacent to firewall and applied "Car Builders" peel and stick aluminium thermal barrier to firewall adjacent to dump pipe.

Love those Nutserts....

PeeBee
7th February 2019, 10:32 AM
I fitted a Boggard Turbo Timer kit and it worked straight out of the box, no stuffing around except having to modify the connector to suit the nissan plug - but this was clearly outlined in the instructions. No smoke involved, but managed to temporarily lose the screws that hold the steering column assy together. Searched high and low, totally evaporated - was going bananas by this stage so found some others, then just as i was screwing in the last screw, noticed the rechargeable lamp sitting on the piss. Lifted it up and all screws were attached to the magnet under the base - yup, unbelieve-it!

Bidja
7th February 2019, 01:11 PM
Yeah I lost the E-Clip off the turbo actuator rod to lever pin the other day, even had some fishing line attached to it but it twanged out of the noose. No where to be found and all I could buy was a C-Clip that I had to squeeze to get it stay on. Looked all over and waved my magnetic flex stick no joy, then yesterday found it while vacuuming up swarf, sitting on rubber wheel arch apron. So easy when I could see it and was amazed it did not get sucked away.

Still tied up secure.

Phil, post up a link for the Turbo timer.

PeeBee
7th February 2019, 01:25 PM
Yeah I lost the E-Clip off the turbo actuator rod to lever pin the other day, even had some fishing line attached to it but it twanged out of the noose. No where to be found and all I could buy was a C-Clip that I had to squeeze to get it stay on. Looked all over and waved my magnetic flex stick no joy, then yesterday found it while vacuuming up swarf, sitting on rubber wheel arch apron. So easy when I could see it and was amazed it did not get sucked away.

Still tied up secure.

Phil, post up a link for the Turbo timer.

Here you go. Factory set at 30 secs delay but can extend out to 5 mins in stages.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOGAARD-TURBO-TIMER-SUIT-NISSAN-MQ-GQ-GU-Y60-PATROL-DIESEL-PLUG-PLAY-925-NIS/401515014298?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also lost a 13mm spanner for 9 months under the truck, fell down and disappeared, was caught between a hose and the chassis, and only found it when replacing the hose!

MB
7th February 2019, 03:56 PM
Ran it out of diesel on the Calder Hwy-Catlemaine towing the Kanga, what a nuffy MB :-(
Boys in the slow truck 30 mins behind me pissing themselves and bringing a jerry :-)

AB
7th February 2019, 05:24 PM
Ran it out of diesel on the Calder Hwy-Catlemaine towing the Kanga, what a nuffy MB :-(
Boys in the slow truck 30 mins behind me pissing themselves and bringing a jerry :-)

Pop the plunger plug mb and pump it through before starting mate.

Mc4by
8th February 2019, 06:02 PM
Installed the Redarc towpro elite v3 (the v2 was the recall)
Hope to pick up a camper trailer next week.

PeeBee
8th February 2019, 08:58 PM
Installed new 30um filter and lift pump for the s/c, what a mission. AT it 8 hours, installed between the rear of the rear axle- clear - and the long range rear tank. Its getting tight back there now with the belly tank transfer pump and pre-filter. Dirty day tomorrow hooking it up, then wiring the lift pump.

Also modified the rear coil tower bridge plate after lifting the vehicle 25mm. Getting that back in was also a treat - NOT. Had it remove everything in the rear to get to the bolts, and surprise surprise, vehicle popped up and jammed under the garage door!. Had to drop pressures to 10psi and dump 3 batteries in the back just get back out - this is a problem for sure. Also noticed a broken 'stay' under the car which must have broke when the body was jacked up - unsure what its for but it now has a 25mm airgap and and broken bolt. Its towards the centre of the car behind the rear seat. Once I get everything sorted I will take a photo and share.

DX grunt
9th February 2019, 10:18 PM
Saw my ute sitting in the driveway, pondering what to do with it! Sad, very sad.

Plasnart
9th February 2019, 10:47 PM
Saw my ute sitting in the driveway, pondering what to do with it! Sad, very sad.

Take it for a drive. Fall in love again mate. Mine doesnt get used like it used to and had the sell thoughts going through my mind also. Did a small trip in it and fell in love again! Cmon yours is a trophy winner!

DX grunt
9th February 2019, 10:50 PM
Take it for a drive. Fall in love again mate. Mine doesnt get used like it used to and had the sell thoughts going through my mind also. Did a small trip in it and fell in love again! Cmon yours is a trophy winner!

Thanks. I really don't want to get rid of it! I still wash and clean it. lol

Avo
9th February 2019, 10:53 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah boi

Bidja
10th February 2019, 08:59 AM
Thought I would put back in the positive pressure actuator (CRD) last night and with a bit of boot the VDO boost gauge went off scale at 30psi and could hold it there easily. Think something wrong with diaphragm/spring (factory spring set at 23psi) but EGTs were running good. Crawled home Tillix back in this morn.

Glad I have gauges...

gazq
10th February 2019, 10:07 PM
Last weekend was the hybrid superflex arms to fix the castor angles in the front. This weekend was all about getting the rear pinion angle back to within spec with some superior adj uppers.

What a mongrel it was to get those bolts back in with the shortened upper control arms. Thank god for ratchet straps and big screw drivers.

Note: I could actually see daylight through one of the old upper control arm bushes!!!! :jawdrop:

Bidja
29th March 2019, 07:45 PM
Installed new radiator header tank, ordered from Patrolapart on Monday, arrived yesterday, was a long week and now installed (all good).

Leaned on old tank overflow spout up the bush last weekend taking a short cut (changing turbo actuators) and busted it. Cautious trip home.

At least I can now see the coolant more easily in the new one .

jay see
29th March 2019, 11:50 PM
Nothing yet, but will have to see why it didn't start today. Completely dead, no power at all. Lights weren't left on and all doors were closed....

jay see
30th March 2019, 11:41 AM
Nothing yet, but will have to see why it didn't start today. Completely dead, no power at all. Lights weren't left on and all doors were closed....

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkNo need to do anything, stupid thing started first shot.

Brissieboy
30th March 2019, 02:12 PM
No need to do anything, stupid thing started first shot.

Of course it did! The damn thing will be waiting for you to be way out in the sticks and all alone, and probably bogged. Then: click . . . click . . . nothing!

PeeBee
30th March 2019, 06:59 PM
Of course it did! The damn thing will be waiting for you to be way out in the sticks and all alone, and probably bogged. Then: click . . . click . . . nothing!

Yep, agree. Check and keep checking until you find the loose wire or dud earth or faulty key tumbler, as it won't be funny out the back of nowhere-ville.

GQtdauto
30th March 2019, 08:43 PM
Took the GQ out to get a load of wood on a gnarly little track called Sands track which is in the Mohyu Timber reserve , because it's so rough and steep virtually no one gets there wood off it so easy pickings .
Got some photos of the result of last nights lightning storms on the phone but will post them up one day , we counted six trees that were hit and three exploded to leave about six feet sticking out of the ground the others were ringbarked in a spiral down the trunk with bits blown off all over the joint .
Truly an amazing sight and all within a few hundred metres .

Winnie
30th March 2019, 08:50 PM
Took the GQ out to get a load of wood on a gnarly little track called Sands track which is in the Mohyu Timber reserve , because it's so rough and steep virtually no one gets there wood off it so easy pickings .
Got some photos of the result of last nights lightning storms on the phone but will post them up one day , we counted six trees that were hit and three exploded to leave about six feet sticking out of the ground the others were ringbarked in a spiral down the trunk with bits blown off all over the joint .
Truly an amazing sight and all within a few hundred metres .That sounds pretty awesome, I would be very keen to see those pics mate.

jay see
30th March 2019, 09:29 PM
Yep, agree. Check and keep checking until you find the loose wire or dud earth or faulty key tumbler, as it won't be funny out the back of nowhere-ville.The last time it did it, turned out to be a starter.

jay see
30th March 2019, 09:30 PM
That sounds pretty awesome, I would be very keen to see those pics mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkX2

Plasnart
30th March 2019, 09:53 PM
The last time it did it, turned out to be a starter.

Was thinking that. Maybe a dodgy starter motor/solenoid. If it happens again get someone to tap the starter with a malllet, not hard. If it sporadically reacts/cranks then it's dodgy and get a newby.

jay see
30th March 2019, 10:08 PM
Was thinking that. Maybe a dodgy starter motor/solenoid. If it happens again get someone to tap the starter with a malllet, not hard. If it sporadically reacts/cranks then it's dodgy and get a newby.Exactly what I did last time. [emoji106]

Pete49
31st March 2019, 02:45 PM
Replaced the head gasket and the welsh plugs in the head. reset the tappets but now its warm I need to redo it as it have a bit of a rattle on a couple of them.

mudski
3rd April 2019, 06:17 PM
Contemplating doing this while the shitter is in the garage. Since they didn’t sell I might as well use them.

Yeti's Beast
3rd April 2019, 06:20 PM
Contemplating doing this while the shitter is in the garage. Since they didn’t sell I might as well use them.

Was it you that had them specially made?

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
3rd April 2019, 08:07 PM
Was it you that had them specially made?

Proud BTrol Owner

I brought them from here...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?41204-63-reductions-suit-GQ-amp-GU-patrol-QLD&highlight=reduction+gears
I was going to sell them due to some financial constraints but they didn't sell and we've pulled through that so I might aswell chuckém in.

Wish me luck. I've started to pull everything apart.

threedogs
3rd April 2019, 08:12 PM
Were the 85% better for auto 0r was it the 63%@mudski

mudski
3rd April 2019, 08:12 PM
Were the 85% better for auto 0r was it the 63%@mudski

Apparently the 85% was a better choice John.

Yeti's Beast
3rd April 2019, 09:03 PM
I need to go investigate now. Someone had sets custom made. They were not the usual ratio as some are too tall and some were too low.
I know it was a Gold Coast person gettingbtgem made

Proud BTrol Owner

Yeti's Beast
3rd April 2019, 09:08 PM
Found it.
From Patrol 4x4
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/25.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
3rd April 2019, 09:11 PM
I need to go investigate now. Someone had sets custom made. They were not the usual ratio as some are too tall and some were too low.
I know it was a Gold Coast person gettingbtgem made

Proud BTrol Owner

It was the guy in the link I put up. 63% gears. Marks Adaptors make them for this guy. So the instructions are the same. Just reading through it I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but we'll see when the Wednesday night whiskey hasn't clouded my judgement. :)

Yeti's Beast
3rd April 2019, 09:15 PM
Do what I did.
Buy a BT50

Proud BTrol Owner

Pete49
4th April 2019, 02:11 PM
A lot of swearing at it. Trying to fit a snorkel and find that 2 holes are out.

DX grunt
4th April 2019, 07:59 PM
Drove my ute a whole 210km and it didn't miss a beat. lol.

mudski
4th April 2019, 09:21 PM
Do what I did.
Buy a BT50

Proud BTrol Owner

And do what? Drive it off a cliff? Id rather masturbate with a cheese grater than buy a BT50. :D

Yeti's Beast
4th April 2019, 09:22 PM
It’s not that bad. Heaps of torque and tows the van great

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
4th April 2019, 09:30 PM
It’s not that bad. Heaps of torque and tows the van great

Proud BTrol Owner
Each to their own I guess. What ever floats your boat they say. I still reckon a cheese grater is better though. Haha!

Yeti's Beast
4th April 2019, 09:33 PM
Wouldn’t you like these engine figures and still get 10 litres per 100
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/26.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

mudski
4th April 2019, 09:45 PM
Wouldn’t you like these engine figures and still get 10 litres per 100
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/26.jpg

Proud BTrol Owner

Yeah fuel consumption is one thing I have never really worried about. 670nm is better though.

rusty_nail
4th April 2019, 10:09 PM
And do what? Drive it off a cliff? Id rather masturbate with a cheese grater than buy a BT50. :DIsn't that oversized though mate? Think of all the normal sized guys and cheese graters out there

Ghosts
5th April 2019, 07:35 PM
You got me thinking now mudski Do you like the chunky side of the grater, or the small holed side? Might be best to put that in the thought for the day section.

mudski
5th April 2019, 08:32 PM
You got me thinking now mudski Do you like the chunky side of the grater, or the small holed side? Might be best to put that in the thought for the day section.

Sometimes I swap mid, erm shift. Lol.

Ghosts
5th April 2019, 08:33 PM
Had the rocker cover gasket, injector seals, injectors, glow plugs replaced and new oil filter, the motor idles a lot smoother now.

mudski
5th April 2019, 08:38 PM
Had to remove the two mid sections of the zorst too as the mount to the gearbox is almost busted off and the mount just after the muffler has snapped clean off. It seems launching the Patrol off the beach whoopdies at Cape Jaffa last Christmas may have broken a few things. Everything under there has a nice coats of rust now though. Lol
Just struggling to get the transfer linkage of the case. I don’t think it’s ever been off.
Might just pour another Whiskey and think about it.

mudski
5th April 2019, 10:19 PM

Ok I got the lever assy off after a good think about it. God! The first bolt I go to undo, moves about a turn then goes super tight. I know I can easy do it with my impact gun but this will for sure either snap the bolt or strip the thread.
Tomorrow I might see if all the other bolts come undone easy enough, if they do, I will just force it out, I guess. Not sure what to do about this.

rusty_nail
5th April 2019, 10:25 PM
Ok I got the lever assy off after a good think about it. God! The first bolt I go to undo, moves about a turn then goes super tight. I know I can easy do it with my impact gun but this will for sure either snap the bolt or strip the thread.
Tomorrow I might see if all the other bolts come undone easy enough, if they do, I will just force it out, I guess. Not sure what to do about this.Did you try heating it up mate?

mudski
5th April 2019, 10:44 PM
Did you try heating it up mate?

Nah the cbf's kicked in and I left it. I will have another crack tomorrow.

Clunk
6th April 2019, 05:25 PM
Replaced the dead battery and drove it for the first time in 3 months. Was almost like being back home but man, I forgot how small a space it is inside

mudski
6th April 2019, 07:36 PM
Decided to abort mission. I have two weeks until Easter. I have no idea how long it will take to do the transfer case. I can’t afford to not have the Pootrol running for easter. I will never hear the end of it. So the reduction gears will stay boxed up until next time.

rusty_nail
6th April 2019, 08:12 PM
Decided to abort mission. I have two weeks until Easter. I have no idea how long it will take to do the transfer case. I can’t afford to not have the Pootrol running for easter. I will never hear the end of it. So the reduction gears will stay boxed up until next time.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHappy to give you a hand mate I have spare time now

MB
6th April 2019, 09:34 PM
Die grindarer bits awaiting in the shed if you need mate, and or cheat for the specific 63’s kindly requesting Patrolapart stuff em in properly during services [emoji106]

mudski
6th April 2019, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will just wait until after easter and Do it then. I have really not much of an idea in how long it will take me to do it. rusty_nail, thanks mate, but theres not much an extra person can do really other than keep me company and to talk shit with, with is not a bad thing with you mate.
I've just welded up the busted exhaust mounting plates. I will put everything back together over the coming days with any luck.

rusty_nail
6th April 2019, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will just wait until after easter and Do it then. I have really not much of an idea in how long it will take me to do it. rusty_nail, thanks mate, but theres not much an extra person can do really other than keep me company and to talk shit with, with is not a bad thing with you mate.
I've just welded up the busted exhaust mounting plates. I will put everything back together over the coming days with any luck.

ok well let me know next time you need a PIC to keep you company, talk shit and hang shit on Jonathon. oh wait lol

mudski
6th April 2019, 09:59 PM
ok well let me know next time you need a PIC to keep you company, talk shit and hang shit on Jonathon. oh wait lol

Hahahahahahahahaha! You always find a way to make me smile mate!

Winnie
6th April 2019, 10:01 PM
ok well let me know next time you need a PIC to keep you company, talk shit and hang shit on Jonathon. oh wait lolFunniest post in a while... Haha good onya Nicco!

mudski
6th April 2019, 10:08 PM
Funniest post in a while... Haha good onya Nicco!

Yeah his name seems to come up when me an Nic get together with a few bevies under the hood. It always makes for a good laugh.
Friendship at its best. Easy. Not like it was with the other bloke. Bloody hard work.

rusty_nail
6th April 2019, 10:23 PM
Yeah his name seems to come up when me an Nic get together with a few bevies under the hood. It always makes for a good laugh.
Friendship at its best. Easy. Not like it was with the other bloke. Bloody hard work.

yeah mate, easy. always a laugh with you not always, but sometimes at others expense too =D

Clunk
7th April 2019, 09:17 PM
Took it for a drive to IKEA to get my young lad a new bed.... still drives pretty good. Although steering is a bit light and vague.

jay see
7th April 2019, 10:38 PM
Well after unsuccessfully looking for the drill bits. I did my rear brake pads.

PeeBee
8th April 2019, 07:06 AM
Well after unsuccessfully looking for the drill bits. I did my rear brake pads.

I can see how those two tasks are linked!!!!!

mudski
8th April 2019, 08:26 AM
I can see how those two tasks are linked!!!!!

Where's MB ? He'll decipher it for you....

PeeBee
8th April 2019, 09:07 AM
Where's MB ? He'll decipher it for you....

He is probably working on the next level of encryption to beat all living souls on earth!

MB
8th April 2019, 12:20 PM
Beat you with a sole next time ya cross the border ya cheeky bugger!
https://youtu.be/Bavxj4KIX_8

Ghosts
8th April 2019, 02:50 PM
I filled the wagon up with fuel today. Excitement plus, watching my wagon filling up and my wallet emptying. Might have to get my wallet reconditioned one day, so the money can stay in it longer.

Hodge
8th April 2019, 03:28 PM
Got the passenger engine mount replaced.
Just a tiny bit less vibration felt/heard in the car after... *sarcasm*

threedogs
10th April 2019, 10:04 AM
Brought a model 34 yellow top Optimal Spiral battery today from some mates at a new store in Epping
called Trek Hardware they have shops in Shep,Ballarat and Sunshine. very happy with the price, plus
installed for free with longer bracket bolts.

MB
10th April 2019, 08:55 PM
Good work John mate!
Don’t personally care what others may hate on our spiral 6 pot Optima’s, they are tops!!!!
Fastest charging batteries for our fridges, winches and the like I nuffy know of and their 6 core connections are some 75% less chance of breakage versus a standard plate battery setup I believe?
Old days IIRC ‘Odyssey’ did have an ‘Epoxy’ type sealed secured connection top/bottom plate competition battery that I tried to get back onto but hit USA<>AUS import roadblocks!

Yeti's Beast
10th April 2019, 09:01 PM
Good work John mate!
Don’t personally care what others may hate on our spiral 6 pot Optima’s, they are tops!!!!
Fastest charging batteries for our fridges, winches and the like I nuffy know of and their 6 core connections are some 75% less chance of breakage versus a standard plate battery setup I believe?
Old days IIRC ‘Odyssey’ did have an ‘Epoxy’ type sealed secured connection top/bottom plate competition battery that I tried to get back onto but hit USA<>AUS import roadblocks!

The principle of them is quite clever. They are made like a Swiss Roll
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/91.jpg
Plate and the acid soaked fiber mat are tightly wound.
Less chance of internal shorts through vibrations, greater surface area of the plate. Over all a great product.
I have a similar product and they are indestructible

Proud BTrol Owner

MB
10th April 2019, 09:03 PM
Please do tell more YB mate [emoji106][emoji106]

Yeti's Beast
10th April 2019, 09:23 PM
Please do tell more YB mate [emoji106][emoji106]

As some of you may or not know , I was once a state manager for YHI Power.
We had a supplier in China that made awesome batteries They even make batteries for Ford and GM over there.
Anyway they have a spiral battery called a NPC65. I have 2 still. Ones in the wife’s CX9 and the other is a spare now days, but once it lived in the Patrol as my fridge battery. A only 65 ah yes it didn’t run the fridge for days like bigger batteries, but it recharged so fast.
My batteries were sample batteries from the factory and are 4 years old now. I test them regularly and they are as good as new still.
One is still in the Patrol as the start battery. They cranked at 900 cca.
The problem and only problem was the price.
Our competition was the Optima and it has years of marketing behind it and because of eBay etc, they are so cheap these days and our battery cost more.
If you ever see one, consider buying one as they are a good product.
FYI I don’t work there anymore

Proud BTrol Owner

stevemc181
11th April 2019, 02:04 PM
I've got a trip on Monday out to do the Gunbarrel hwy including the abandoned section, so was going over the Patrol doing some pre-trip maintenance and noticed the factory cooler was leaking oil. Rather than take a chance with it failing while remote, I bought an off the shelf welded unit from Browns radiators in Perth, just down the road from me.

Cost was $445, so a little dear for what it is, but I wanted one in a hurry, so it will suffice. I'd say its pretty similar to the Forefront type, direct factory replacement bar and plate style. The core is a bit thicker at 70mm vs the factory 60mm, so I'll see how it goes. Fitting was easy enough, although I noticed there was a couple of the crush tubes missing from the mounting rubbers, so I swapped these over from the factory one. Not really expecting much in egt improvement, more of a reliability issue for remote travel for me. I'll see how it goes on a decent trip when we head off on Monday.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/99.jpg

4bye4
11th April 2019, 04:28 PM
I've had a Browns in for four years now and if you just want to replace not upgrade they are real good value for money IMHO.

10G
11th April 2019, 05:26 PM
I've got a trip on Monday out to do the Gunbarrel hwy including the abandoned section, so was going over the Patrol doing some pre-trip maintenance and noticed the factory cooler was leaking oil. Rather than take a chance with it failing while remote, I bought an off the shelf welded unit from Browns radiators in Perth, just down the road from me.

Cost was $445, so a little dear for what it is, but I wanted one in a hurry, so it will suffice. I'd say its pretty similar to the Forefront type, direct factory replacement bar and plate style. The core is a bit thicker at 70mm vs the factory 60mm, so I'll see how it goes. Fitting was easy enough, although I noticed there was a couple of the crush tubes missing from the mounting rubbers, so I swapped these over from the factory one. Not really expecting much in egt improvement, more of a reliability issue for remote travel for me. I'll see how it goes on a decent trip when we head off on Monday.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/04/99.jpg

Have a great trip stevemc181, I'm heading that way in Late June. How did you go with the permit for the abandoned section?

DX grunt
11th April 2019, 07:45 PM
Nothing, again! lol

stevemc181
11th April 2019, 08:04 PM
Have a great trip stevemc181, I'm heading that way in Late June. How did you go with the permit for the abandoned section?

No problem, only took me a day to get it! Which was a surprise.
I had the self serve permits for the rest of it via Heather hwy, as I originally wasn't going to do the abandoned section. I ended up deciding to do it and applied for the permit Last Monday on the off chance I'd have it in time, and they emailed it back last Tuesday. I'd allow a couple of weeks at least though, as they are usually a bit slower than that.

mudski
11th April 2019, 08:09 PM
Walked into the garage and looked at my Patrol in bits and went Meh! I so CBFéd!

Clunk
11th April 2019, 08:21 PM
Nothing, again! lolI've actually been using mine to go back n forth to work

0-TJ-0
11th April 2019, 08:27 PM
Walked into the garage and looked at my Patrol in bits and went Meh! I so CBFéd!

The worst. Felt like setting mine on fire when I thought I had it pretty well all done.. then the radiator let go. It. Never. Ends.

mudski
11th April 2019, 09:05 PM
The worst. Felt like setting mine on fire when I thought I had it pretty well all done.. then the radiator let go. It. Never. Ends.

Wish mine would burn. It would solve a few, never ending issues that I so cannot be stuffed fixing. A new gearbox is in order to and the fund just aren't allowing that right now. Nor can I justify spending that sorta coin on this Patrol anymore.

Then, when its going, and I get in it a take it for a spin, I turn the radio off, have the rear left window down and just listen to the sweet sounds of the Garret whistling away and enjoy it.

GQtdauto
11th April 2019, 09:20 PM
Still chasing the power steering fluid leak , replaced the return line thinking it was the culprit , cracked and split and seemed to have the most oil on it but no not that easy .
Doesn't appear to be the pump so must be the high pressure line maybe , oil is spraying onto the top of the injector pump so has to be upper rather than lower hopefully .
Round 2 tomorrow.

GQtdauto
12th April 2019, 12:02 PM
Suspecting it was the high pressure hose I wrapped it lightly in cloth to stop it spraying everywhere and took it for a drive to see if it was the hose or coming from somewhere else but the bloody thing has either stopped leaking or being lightly wrapped in cloth has fixed a high pressure leak .
Other than that might be time to call a priest in for an exorcism.

mudski
12th April 2019, 01:04 PM
Still chasing the power steering fluid leak , replaced the return line thinking it was the culprit , cracked and split and seemed to have the most oil on it but no not that easy .
Doesn't appear to be the pump so must be the high pressure line maybe , oil is spraying onto the top of the injector pump so has to be upper rather than lower hopefully .
Round 2 tomorrow.

Its definitely power steering fluid? the top of my pump is always wet, Im guessing its a dud seal in the top of the pump...

GQtdauto
12th April 2019, 01:31 PM
It's red oil and I have to top it up every now and then so yep it's coming from the pump system somewhere , might leave the cloth on there for a few days to confirm it but if it is leaking from the pump itself it will spray over the injector pump again and give me the culprit .
Thanks mudski

nissannewby
12th April 2019, 04:18 PM
It's red oil and I have to top it up every now and then so yep it's coming from the pump system somewhere , might leave the cloth on there for a few days to confirm it but if it is leaking from the pump itself it will spray over the injector pump again and give me the culprit .
Thanks mudski

There is a bolt with a sealing washer on it inside the reservoir that holds the reservoir to the pump. These can leak when they get old and also if the bolt is a little lose. You coukd try nip it up a little and see if that could ve the issue. You can get to the bolt with a 3/8 drive 12mm socket and extension down the filler hole.

PeeBee
12th April 2019, 04:25 PM
There is a bolt with a sealing washer on it inside the reservoir that holds the reservoir to the pump. These can leak when they get old and also if the bolt is a little lose. You coukd try nip it up a little and see if that could ve the issue. You can get to the bolt with a 3/8 drive 12mm socket and extension down the filler hole.

You are unbelievable! This sort of knowledge and attention to detail is extraordinary - great asset to the forum for sure.

mudski
12th April 2019, 04:44 PM
You are unbelievable! This sort of knowledge and attention to detail is extraordinary - great asset to the forum for sure.

Yeah bloody oath. That bit of info is now stored in the memory bank, right next to the other bank...

GQtdauto
12th April 2019, 06:50 PM

Yes great tip and thanks for the info will check it out tomorrow because we did do mostly off road on some of the heavily corrugated tracks up north I'm still finding bolts and nuts that are loose .

threedogs
13th April 2019, 06:34 PM
Yeah bloody oath. That bit of info is now stored in the memory bank, right next to the other bank...

what the one that wont fix your pride and joy lol

mudski
14th April 2019, 10:17 PM
Few things. Got the zorst back on after welding up the mid and rear bracket after both were snapped off. New gaskets too. Hopefully this was the cause of the exhaust smell in the cab. One of the gaskets, not pictured was in pretty bad shape.
Then replaced the inline fuel filter that I added in years ago to filter the fuel from the sub tank to the main tank. Needed to say the filter was pretty blocked.
I also did and oil change, catch can filter change, air filter change, replace front left indicator assy, cut and polished the roof then added a coat of wax to it before i put the roof rack back on. Degreased under the Patrol, then parked it up.