Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 or GU3 3.0 what to buy?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a Patrol and tossing up between a 98-99 2.8 or getting a 3.0 post 2003 (or higher depending on budget). I'm only looking to spend sub $15k so a 4.2 is out. I drove a 2.8 the other day and loved it (I haven't been corrupted by a 4.2 so I didn't notice the 2.8 being that slow). I'm not looking at towing, it'll simply be used for a daily driver and some weekend fun. I've been looking around for awhile and it seems in my budget most 2.8/3.0 would be around 200-250k's with the 2.8 sometimes being slightly higher.

I've read around and there seems to be a fair bit to like about the 2.8 and recommended by those that drive them, but most post were written a fair few years back, now they are nearly a 20 year old car. I probably can't afford a 2005 or newer 3.0 so I'm buying in the grenade period. I have 2 questions, if both have been well serviced and have around 250K's, which one would you go for? And is there any reason another 100-150ks shouldn't be a problem?

Cheers!
    Last edited by breeeen; 2nd July 2017 at 07:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2002 grenade has pulled nearly three ton of caravan round OZ three times , just under 400 thou on the clock and pulls the camper trailer easier than the GQ .
    I do have a soft spot for the GQ 4.2td and although mine is the rare factory auto it will be sold in favour for our plans to Duramax the 2002 GU .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a '98 2.8 and I couldn't recommend it any more. It's a tad slow on occasion but my lord is it a beast.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 or GU3 3.0 what to buy?

We have a 2003 3 litre GU manual. It too has towed a van around oz a few times and has 362000k. We are traveling around Outback Qld at the moment towing a Jayco camper and it does a great job. Still doesn't use oil or leak any and the only repair has been replacing its original clutch at 300k oh and I changed the belt tensioner before we left home.
    Ours is stock, standard exhaust, no Dawes or catch cans, besides the factory snorkel it's as it left the factory.
    I paid $5000 for ours. Bargains are out there , just keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (4th July 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies guys. There seems to be a few decent 2.8's popping up from time to time. Is there anything to look out for when purchasing? Seems to mostly be issues with overheating and cracking the head. Will getting a compression test identify any problems? Any recommendations for maintaining the cooling system or gauges needed?