Thread: Air pressure in air bag suspension

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Generally the red ones are Poly Airs, the blue ones Firestones from the Airbag Man etc.

Polyair used to state that the airbag had to be inflated before loading up the vehicle. I don't know if that is still the case.

The blue Firestones (which I have) can be inflated after loading up to get back to level again. From memory the Firestones were at max pressure when they protruded to half the thickness of the coils.

Min pressure on the Firestones is 5 psi. Max from memory is 30 on GQ patrols. I have never had mine above 20.

Apparently all airbags that work with coils or leaves reduce axle articulation. Haven't tested it, but it makes sense.
    Sorry for being ignorant but what is "Axle Articulation"?

Is it good or bad to be reduced?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

Axle articulation also called flex in simple terminology is the travel of the axle from maximum stretch to minimum compression if that makes sense, how far each wheel can travel up and down. This is the reason a lot of us do suspension upgrades with a lift it gives more travel over standard, so with an air bag i would assume you dont get as much upward travel because the bag is there and stops maximum compression

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Nobby (15th April 2011), Silver (7th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So reducing articulation for someone who prefers to do more difficuilt 4wd it is definately worse as you will lift wheels off the ground more regularly therefor loosing traction, then to counteract that loss of traction we start spending money on diff locks and other traction aids, more aggressive tyres. in saying that loss or reduction of articulation will effect all terrains mild to wild. Solid axle front ends as in patrols some cruisers etc have more downward travel than independant (IFS) front suspension vehicles as in prado pajero later model hi;lux's etc.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    So reducing articulation for someone who prefers to do more difficuilt 4wd it is definately worse as you will lift wheels off the ground more regularly therefor loosing traction, then to counteract that loss of traction we start spending money on diff locks and other traction aids, more aggressive tyres. in saying that loss or reduction of articulation will effect all terrains mild to wild. Solid axle front ends as in patrols some cruisers etc have more downward travel than independant (IFS) front suspension vehicles as in prado pajero later model hi;lux's etc.
    This may explain better than my babble not the best artist but give you an idea
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the patrol I have purchased I have red poly airbags suspension in the coil springs.
    What pressure should I run them at
    1. no load
    2. medium load say 1/2 tonne - 1 tonne in trailer
    3. heavier loads

Nobby
    this was happen to me last week. i went to my mechanic and he fixed it. i dont know what he does but ill let you know. ill ask him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12