Thread: Auto hubs locking in when in 2 wheel drive

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Just a quick forum tip for you Nobby, when you're replying to multiple posts as you did above, click on "reply with quote" (like I did here) so people can see which post you are replying to, your replies will make more sense that way.

Tony
    Thanks for that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore this one, info applies to some transfer cases, not diffs. Silver

The manuals say that certain models need Dexron II (or is it III) in the front diff. There is a view that is because the thinner oil stops the auto hubs engaging by themselves. The Dexron is the Jap Dexron. However it is difficult to see how this would occur
    Last edited by Silver; 16th April 2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: info re thinner oil in diff influencing hubs is wrong. May be correct for transfer cases

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been asking around town about my problem with the hubs locking up in 2 wheel drive.
    could uneven tyres cause this?
    I needed two new tyres for rego and put them on the rear of car. (usually put them on the front)
    tyres on the same axle are same wear.
    could this have an effect??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah... shouldn't be the tyres esp if they have the same wear.

If tyre dia caused it then the hubs would lock evry time any vehicle went round a corner
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Nobby (15th April 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Nah... shouldn't be the tyres esp if they have the same wear.

If tyre dia caused it then the hubs would lock evry time any vehicle went round a corner
    ta!! that makes sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick forum tip for you Nobby, when you're replying to multiple posts as you did above, click on "reply with quote" (like I did here) so people can see which post you are replying to, your replies will make more sense that way.

Tony
    Hey Tony

Could it be a similar problem to the ones I swapped out with you?? Assembled incorrectly after the repack of the bearings? Of the spring in one of the auto hubs (either side) has clapped out??

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Hey Tony

Could it be a similar problem to the ones I swapped out with you?? Assembled incorrectly after the repack of the bearings? Of the spring in one of the auto hubs (either side) has clapped out??
    Yes it could be.

Tony

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    The manuals say that certain models need Dexron II (or is it III) in the front diff - and that is because the thinner oil stops the auto hubs engaging by themselves. The Dexron is the Jap Dexron.
    The hubs and CV's are lubricated by grease, the diff oil is kept out of the hubs by a seal in the ends of the axle tubes. If there is diff oil in the hubs then the seal is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Tony

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hubs and CV's are lubricated by grease, the diff oil is kept out of the hubs by a seal in the ends of the axle tubes. If there is diff oil in the hubs then the seal is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Tony
    Agree 100% but is was an explanation I came across for why some models of GQ diff need dexron - which being auto fluid is 'thinner'. I don't understand it either :-(

The explanation was that the thicker diff oil got things turning in the diff - but I agree it doesn't make sense. If the transfer case isn't sending grunt to the front, the diff just does its own happy thing......

Happily mine is not that kind of diff so once I worked that out I didn't take it any further.

I'll go back and edit my post :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aha!!! found the source of my inaccuracy. The dexron is recommended for some transfer cases - and I can see the explanation making sense there. Got my wires crossed, apologies all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12