User Tag List

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Another TB42 to TD42 Conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a picture last night after i finished putting the fuel tank in.

I will go to the servo tonight and get some diesel and start to bleed my fuel lines out. I also need to finish my plumbing in of the intercooler and wire up my Glow plug switch, once this is done it will / should start up. I'm hoping to fire it up Friday evening if i can get all my hoses and joiners for the intercooler. I can make up a bracket for the intercooler over the weekend and then cut a hole in the bonnet and fit the top mount bonnet scoop and get an exhaust sorted out.

20150519_202938.jpg
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (20th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyh View Post
    Took a picture last night after i finished putting the fuel tank in.

I will go to the servo tonight and get some diesel and start to bleed my fuel lines out. I also need to finish my plumbing in of the intercooler and wire up my Glow plug switch, once this is done it will / should start up. I'm hoping to fire it up Friday evening if i can get all my hoses and joiners for the intercooler. I can make up a bracket for the intercooler over the weekend and then cut a hole in the bonnet and fit the top mount bonnet scoop and get an exhaust sorted out.

20150519_202938.jpg
    Getting to the pointy end. Take a video for us when you first fire it up I'd love to see it. Very exciting for you
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

Andyh (20th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will def post up a small clip of it starting / or not as the case may be ! lol
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update.

With the fuel tank now fitted with the help of Dean, and 20 liters of Diesel in my Jerry can, I now found out I need a new fuel filler connection hose… These little things are really starting annoying me, I need to go to Lilydale to patrolapart to go get a new hose, it seems the filler neck is 45mm OD and the tank aperture is 38mm, my old hose is only 35mm at both ends…

After calling Patroloapart, i find out I now have a GU setup… (Yes there are 2 different fuel tank hole sizes, and 2 filler neck sizes on the GQ & GU tanks and necks, they are both slightly different, for no apparent reason than to be annoying as hell. It all these little differences that are driving me mad, because working in the city with FA access to auto stores I only get 1 day per weekend to go shopping for parts I need.

I got some stuff done however, I did manage to wire up the momentary switch and test the circuit for my glow plugs which all works ok, I also tested the water in diesel light circuit and as a bonus that works too, it even also throws the check engine light on when my new water filter warning lights up.

I couldn't check the fuel gauge as I can’t get any diesel into the tank so that still sits on / below empty as the tank is dry, I can’t test the tacho as my air intake stuff hasn’t arrived and I can’t get diesel in the tank to bleed the system to start it….

I also managed to completely plumb in my cool air intake side from the airbox to the turbo using 3" silicone joiners and polished aluminum intake tube, looks pretty good i recon, hopfully i will receive the parts to plum in the hot side (post turbo) today, but if not im kinda stuffed...

I have arranged to go to Patrolapart on Saturday to pick up mt fuel filler hose that i need.

If i dont get my intake stuff today, i think all i can do over the weekend will be to fit my EGT & Boost gauges into the pillar pod, wire them up, and remove my back end of the old exhaust, put fuel in the tank and bleed the system, check and get working if i can my fuel gauge if its found to be not working.

20150521_193001.jpg
    Last edited by Andyh; 22nd May 2015 at 10:08 AM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its alive !!! Its alive !!

FIRE IN THE HOLE !@!!

Yep it fired up on Saturday, I have got heaps of updates to pass on so will update the thread when I get a few moments.....
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (25th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you happen to open your D1 Spec catch can? I bought one on Ebay and found it empty inside so no baffle or medium to condense the oil vapor.
    I made a baffle for mine and put some curled alu strips inside it.
    If it's empty, the vapor just passes straight through.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Andyh (26th May 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIRE IN THE HOLE !@!!

Yep it fired up on Saturday, I have got heaps of updates to pass on so will update the thread when I get a few moments.....
    Good stuff mate..... look forward to all the news..!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Andyh (26th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Did you happen to open your D1 Spec catch can? I bought one on Ebay and found it empty inside so no baffle or medium to condense the oil vapor.
    I made a baffle for mine and put some curled alu strips inside it.
    If it's empty, the vapor just passes straight through.
    Hi mate, thanks for the heads up, but yes i did look inside and it was empty as i would have expected for the price ! lol - I have manufactured a baffle also comprising of an extended inlet tube with holes drilled in the sides wrapped around a stainless steel scourer pad that you can buy in Coles for $1 ...
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, thanks for the heads up, but yes i did look inside and it was empty as i would have expected for the price ! lol - I have manufactured a baffle also comprising of an extended inlet tube with holes drilled in the sides wrapped around a stainless steel scourer pad that you can buy in Coles for $1 ...
    If you're interested, I put up a few pics of how I did mine in my TB45E turbo thread in the DIY section..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Andyh (26th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so here is where i am at.....

Its alive, or was for about 5 mins.......

Over the weekend my intake stuff never arrived thanks to a slow as courier and as of today im still waiting ! so i had to fabricate an intercooler bypass so that i could at least get it started, so after checking levels for oil and water i disconnected the fuel cut soliniod and cranked it over to build oil pressure, unfortunately it then dawned on me after getting zero pressure that i hadn't put enough vass in the new oil pump and as such it wasn't lifting oil out of the sump via the pick up tube as it was supposed to.. It took me ages to get pressure and in fact i have to say if it wasn't for the advice of two very good mechanic mates i would till be there..

So what i had to do was..... Pressurize the crankcase while cranking the motor with an oil filter off with no fuel until i could see oil come out of the filter hole...But the trick was to try to get some oil into the pump cavity via the oil galleries so it would actually lift the oil out of the sump... So i removed my oil pressure sender and force fed oil down the hole the pressure sender came out of hoping it would run backwards into the pump... I then blocked off the PCV and with a length of hose blew with mouth pressure down the dipstick hole to pressurize the sump while i got my wife to crank the motor. I was lucky, i got pressure within about 4 cranks...

I then fitted my Boost And EGT Gauges in my pillar pod and fitted the pillar pod..

20150524_140423.jpg20150524_140431.jpg

I then got ready to crank it over and it fired up no problems after a bit of priming at the lift pump... To start with it had a bit of a loud rattle and a bit of a knock with a fair bit of white smoke so i was worried that my fuel pump or injectors may be RS but as the motor got the chance to warm up a little the white smoke stopped and the rattle was just a normal diesel rattle... so all good at this point.... Unfortunately my rev counter wasn't working, this maybe due to the fact i didn't have a pin to put in the plug in the back of the speedo so just looped and soldered the new wire hoping it would contact ok, it may have not been making contact anyway i will get this sorted out asap, other than that my alternator was charging, my temp sensor seemed to be working, fuel gauge works .

During the warm up the motor was running great and purring like a angry cat, then just as i was about to get out and do a walk around, my wife comes into the garage and asked me should all that oil be down there and pointed to the floor in front under my truck....I initially thought i had spilled some while getting pressure to come up, but nope this was dripping from the front steering return to center dampener... f*&K .... My front mail harmonic balancer seal is spewing oil.. now this pisses me off as its a new seal.... So unfortunately i then had to pull out the radiator, and all the fan assembly to remove the harmonic balancer to get to the seal... Yep its stuffed, i don't know how or why but its stuffed, so yesterday i ordered a new genuine seal from Nissan and hopefully i will get that today and refit everything and go for a take 2 run on the motor...

20150525_125121.jpg 20150525_125139.jpg

Oh and i also fitted these, bit premature maybe but i got excited after hearing it run...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andyh; 26th May 2015 at 12:40 PM.
    She'll be right mate
    it's a GQ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Andyh For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th June 2015)

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast