04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

SG1 (11th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been wondering about the rims but wasn't sure, also interesting you mentioned the tail lights as planning on getting them working or replacing them with the wiring already to go as there empty except for the reverse light left hand side and then on the right in the indicator which has a globe and ciggy lighter to plug in to the back, figured someone wired this up so as to offer some lighting at night at rear of vehicle.

Ended up getting a ferrets twin mount light bracket and put it on, got a couple of lights ready to install for it but been hanging back on installing them while I figure out the wiring and where I'm going to bring it in from the outside, prob do the drill through bolt thing but still undecided, was also looking at where the washer fluid comes out for rear window washer as a possibility.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of pics of the new Aluminium roof rack, got it of ebay new and delivered from killa concepts http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301270423...84.m1423.l2649, happy with the service and got it a bit cheaper by dealing with them direct , was a pretty easy install and measured the distance between the feet of the old roof rack, 1300mm, and only had a couple of small adjustments once it was on, the better half helped me assemble and lift it up on the roof no probs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SG1 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (12th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been messing around with dawes needle valve setup for sometime now, only been managing 14psi max with okay EGT's and good fuel economy, been thinking on how to improve this so decided to buy the HPD maf housing and installed it today, can easy get 18psi now with no limp, and could go higher but will hold it there for now, noticed the power range changed slightly with the install and power is more from 2000 rpm onwards and feels like a slight power band when accelerating from there on wards while revving easier.

So may of lost a bit of low down torque on engine but the Automatic transmission seems to compensate it fairly well, EGT;s are well down on hill runs under throttle and only got it to max 400c where on same hill used to be 450c plus under moderate to hard acceleration, cruising at 100k's EGTS are down about 20c but do need to test this some more.

I really think the next bit to all this is winding my VNT grub screw down a bit to, as even before putting on the maf housing noticed my boost would jump up and then back then go up to where it would its boost, will try anyway, also think a chip may help with low down torque but gotta find the money for one..maybe one day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed the HPD MAF housing the other day, noticed a drop in performance in mid range power but was able to up the boost significantly and lower EGT's, so installed the HPD Air Box Lid today and hoping that will also help, time will tell, it will be matched up to DP chip and dyno run as part of the service so I'm expecting some better power gains and possibly fuel economy(hopefully).

I was surprised to learn that around 400c-450c was ideal for EGT's as it allowed proper diesel burn or so I was told by HPD, interesting really as always thought if you lowered your EGT's it would help in prolonging the life of the engine and give better results and or economy, makes me wonder chasing the lower EGT's in our vehicles is really that effective and we take a knock in performance in doing so, anyway still going down this path and can always go back if needed, will update when I know more and how the vehicle is performing.

WP_20150127_001.jpgWP_20150127_002.jpgWP_20150127_003.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SG1 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (27th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    looking good . surprised by the EGT comment like you.
    What are your EGTs at 100 if yours is an Auto,
    IMO it will be different to a manual as revs are higher in a manual
    Do you think the maf housing is worth while
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th January 2015 at 11:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

SG1 (27th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi threedogs, I think it may be worth it if your getting high egt's, lacking boost or want to run higher boost and getting limp mode but there is a few things early that I have found and think a chip would really compliment it which is what HPD advised.

Have done a few configurations and tested each time with resetting the ecu(disconnecting battery) Early testing returned,

Just with the HPD maf housing, was able to run high boost with out limp mode (18.5 psi was the highest I tried and could possibly go higher but decided to turn it down to a conservative 16psi) and noticed a considerable drop in EGT's upon accelerating and hill climb(have a testing hill and use the same roads), seemed to lack some power down low in the rev range but once boost came on accelerated nicely, sometimes felt I had to push it a bit between 8o-100km and found maybe slight loss of power when hitting hill and maintaining throttle position, accelerate harder and would gain speed up same hill which was an improvement over original maf housing, no limp mode and egts lower 380-400c on hill climb, possibly due to higher boost levels.

HPD Airbox lid and original MAF housing, Limp mode was back with a vengeance, even turning boost down to 13 psi still resulted in limp mode, egt's were a lot higher, hill climb was 480-490c egt's, power felt better down lower in the rpm range and accelerated better and easier although egt's were higher.

HPD MAF housing and HPD Airbox lid, similar results to the HPD maf housing findings but with a little more power, almost like a power band once it reached 10psi from standing start and accelerated nicely, still felt had to push it a bit from 80-100kmh, egt's were lower than with standard MAF housing and no limp, put boost back up to 16psi, hill run returned 380-390c egts.

Prior to fitting my EGT's at 100km would be from 340-365c pending weather, after fitting HPD products egt's at 100km are down 320-345c, still early days of testing but is the results of todays testing. Reason for fitting is vehicle could easily reach high egt's on hills, head winds, high temp days and or extra load carrying kids and or camping gear.

Still very drivable and possibly accelerates better under 'harder' acceleration tho upon normal driving conditions does feel that there is a loss of power down low and between 80-100km but a good chip or tuneable one may remedy this. Feels as if it revs more freely and seems to go better in the higher rev range.
    Last edited by SG1; 27th January 2015 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced the Rear non working tail lights with working ones, wired it up, had to run a reverse wire, tail light wire and also ran an earth wire from the passenger side, was the misses idea as she had noticed it awhile back that only the reverse light on the passenger side worked, if it makes her feel better why not, secretly was on my to do list..

WP_20150202_001.jpgWP_20150202_002.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didnt fit indicators in the body lights just reverse and stop/brake.
    I think you EGTs are a tad high still, on the HWY flat road my EGTS are 260-300c
    will reach 425c pushed up hill, Do you have a tigged intercooler?.
    My missus said the same thing " you only have one light working" shheeesh women lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

SG1 (2nd February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes have a tigged intercooler, was a cheapish in comparison ebay special, kinda wished I had saved a bit longer and put the dollars towards a premium intercooler, as have noticed some heat soak (think that is what it is) when exploring the tracks in 4wd slowely ishly. Car goes in next week for install of DP chip and they will be looking at the dawes and needle valve settings while there and adjust if need be, will be interesting to see what comes of it and is not costing anything extra for the install and before and after dyno runs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast