OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Got this reply from a tuner about egts from tuning. Opinions needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fuel was changed about 2k ago and fresh air cleaner for that trip.
    I'll have a fiddle and see what I can acheive
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (14th January 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,810 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    But don't the ZD30's not like extra boost.
    Boom. For instance.
    yeh depends on how much boost is in it now but generally if its low boost and egt's are high if you add a bit more boost or back the fuel off a bit the egt's will drop, from my understanding a good tuner can get the balance just right and if a person is somewhat competent then fiddling with the fuel and boost yourself can be setup well too as you can see by the threads of members who have done it themselves with great results but i for one would not be cranking 20lb of boost into a 3ltr DI.

my experience is only with the 4.2 but plenty here have done the di.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (14th January 2015), Winnie (14th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting differences in EGT's, I can only get max 14 psi atm but have something to try soon so hopefully can get the boost up a bit more, when we went from Yarrawonga to Echuca along the Murray Valley highway recently with outside temps around 32c with a very strong head and side wind with camping gear and a couple swags and chairs on the roof we were sitting around 415c EGT's @ 100k's and nearly touched 500c when overtaking, that road was a EGT killer, normally we can range from 350-360c @100K's and funnily enough when getting to 110K's the EGT's can go down to 325c pending weather temp but normally sit 15-20c lower at 110k than 100.

As soon as it cooled down a bit heading towards Melbourne (same day and about 30c around there instead of 32c) the EGT's dropped back to around 385c and then in the evening was back down to 365c as we headed towards the Valley(home).

Conclusion was ambient temperature can and does affect EGT's(in our vehicle), add other variables like head winds/side winds and affects it even more.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SG1 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (14th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
    interesting differences in egt's, i can only get max 14 psi atm but have something to try soon so hopefully can get the boost up a bit more, when we went from yarrawonga to echuca along the murray valley highway recently with outside temps around 32c with a very strong head and side wind with camping gear and a couple swags and chairs on the roof we were sitting around 415c egt's @ 100k's and nearly touched 500c when overtaking, that road was a egt killer, normally we can range from 350-360c @100k's and funnily enough when getting to 110k's the egt's can go down to 325c pending weather temp but normally sit 15-20c lower at 110k than 100.

As soon as it cooled down a bit heading towards melbourne (same day and about 30c around there instead of 32c) the egt's dropped back to around 385c and then in the evening was back down to 365c as we headed towards the valley(home).

Conclusion was ambient temperature can and does affect egt's(in our vehicle), add other variables like head winds/side winds and affects it even more.
    you hit the nail on the head mate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

SG1 (19th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One thing that just hit me driving around this morning, If I had a manual on the freeway
    sitting on 100kph my revs are about 2500-2600 is that right?, no wonder the manuals get lower EGTs.
    My auto sitting on 100kph sits on 2000 rpm if my EGTs go up I hit the dual ratio button to bring
    the revs up thus allowing exhaust to escape quicker, therefore my EGTs will go down.
    Can't see myself driving at 2500 rpm at 100ks not good on fuel I would think.
    I future we need to ask is it a 5 speed manual or and Auto
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,118 Times in 3,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's that high TD. I think mine sits about 2200RPM @ 100km/h. But I will confirm on my next drive.
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    one thing that just hit me driving around this morning, if i had a manual on the freeway
    sitting on 100kph my revs are about 2500-2600 is that right?, no wonder the manuals get lower egts.
    My auto sitting on 100kph sits on 2000 rpm if my egts go up i hit the dual ratio button to bring
    the revs up thus allowing exhaust to escape quicker, therefore my egts will go down.
    Can't see myself driving at 2500 rpm at 100ks not good on fuel i would think.
    I future we need to ask is it a 5 speed manual or and auto
    good thinking there 99

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DI auto with 285/75/16 tyres sits on 2200 revs at 100kmh, but mine runs hot 400 to 450 at 110kmh with roof top tent.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,354 Times in 6,459 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    But don't the ZD30's not like extra boost.
    Boom. For instance.
    I can't talk for the crd's Mick but the Di's are fine with extra boost. Mine runs 25psi and has done for well over 12 months. The only issue with running higher boost is premature wear on the turbo. How much and how fast the wear is? Dunno.I have been told of the impellers busting off at over 25psi. I just checked my turbo as a pre trip check and it spins free and there is zero play in the shaft.
    The "boom" you talk of I personally believe that's from under boosting. Hence adding the NADs to control this issue. Too low boost pressure and your egts sky rocket...I have now seen two motors that have dropped the pin, both had done the exact same damage. Melted number 3 and 4 pistons, plus other damage to the motor. The cylinder colour, you could tell it got bloody hot. And both were just cruising too with no stress on the motor. That's my personal belief on this theory.
    Last edited by mudski; 17th January 2015 at 05:20 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (17th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I can't talk for the crd's Mick but the Di's are fine with extra boost. Mine runs 25psi and has done for well over 12 months. The only issue with running higher boost is premature wear on the turbo. I have been told of the impellers busting off at over 25psi. I just checked my turbo as a pre trip check and it spins free and there is zero play in the shaft. The "boom" you talk of I personally believe that's from under boosting. Too low boost pressure and your egts sky rocket...I have now seen two motors that have dropped the pin, both had done the exact same damage. Melted number 3 and 4 pistons, plus other damage to the motor. The cylinder colour, you could tell it got bloody hot. And both were just cruising too with no stress on the motor. That's my personal belief on this theory.
    So GoNADS might be the key to get my temps downs by giving her only a few more pounds of boost.
    All this High EGT's alwAys scares me a little knowing my 600 and 650's are really hot.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast