User Tag List

Thread: Fuel economy and vortex fuel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel economy and vortex fuel

Just run a tank of vortex diesel, not convinced on the economy, it did run a little quieter the next day after driving home 15 Klm and when fuelled up this week with standard diesel getting 15.3 ltr/100klm (4.2td, 33" mud tyres, 2" lift ) got 16.5 on vortex same driving conditions but aircon was on with standard fuel go figure and cost 10cents a litre more ouch! I think I'll be buying the additive to put in my fuel.
    DONT FORCE IT! ......Get a bigger hammer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzee63 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st November 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basically Caltex Vortex and BP Ultimate are very similar, indeed almost identical.
    The main additive is detergent plus a few other compounds but the main effective ingredient in the blend is "soap".

I've never bothered to work out the cost difference of Premium Pump Diesel versus using Diesel and adding 2T oil or off the shelf concentrate fuel additives.

I did switch to BP Ultimate when it first came out but I've never kept a vehicle long enough to reap the rewards so I don't bother with using premium diesel or additives.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting that the diesel that goes into trucks or what they call "truck diesel" and it's cheaper than these "premium" diesels. However the fuel systems in trucks these days are the same as what's in our cars and they drive all over the country side.

I also would have though the "premium" diesel would have to have its own tank but I have never seen a servo install a new tank for the premium diesel. Maybe they just let one empty and fill it back up.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often wondered the same myself, just haven't got around to asking our local service centre what the difference is and if my Patrol is a "truck" so I can go where the big boys go LOL
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I run my 660 hp truck on vortex I go from 1.7 km/l to 1.9 and it seems to pull a little harder i think its worth it

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have 3 brothers that drive semi's , including B doubles , fuel and gas tankers . truck diesel and regular diesel comes out of the same tanks . the additives in the premium stuff is aimed at keeping common rail fuel systems cleaner and possibly lubricated , not performance or fuel economy , but they only use regular diesel . they almost never see injector problems and the only case of diesel bug that one has seen was after another driver decided to add an additive that was also supposed to prevent diesel bug . there tip is to always fill your tanks right up then let them run quite low before refilling if you can . 2 have never come across water in fuel and one has only known it to happen in places where semi,s don't often fill up .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I've been told much the same but I can't argue with my computer. I would avoid running fuel to low as most trucks rely on the diesel to cool as well as lubricate the injector