OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evey once in a while... Common sense.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree with open speed but to do so we need better roads and more importantly better driver training as that is what a lot of it comes down too. The ability of the monkey behind the wheel.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,535 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont know if you have been to the territory but the roads up there a generally very good wide roads especially the main hwys, at 110 you get bored and go to sleep, at 140 you know you have to be alert or thats what i found anyway and i did a lot of driving up there whilst working for telstra.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (5th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Didn't it all turn to shite after that race where Japenese driver died in a Ferrari or Lambo but something quick.
    Think that was the straw that broke the Camels back, been a while now. I love going quick but rather everyone going in the same direction.
    As in on a track. As we all know only takes one in experienced driver at speed to lose it. Education would help. New driver on "P"s
    wow what a recipe
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some history.....

The 130kph was imposed on 1st Jan 2007. By 2009 the road had doubled. It was one of the worst years for road carnage on record.

The feds have never threatend to with draw funding. The Hiway from Adelaide to Darwin is considered vital defense infrastructure.

The speed limit was imposed after advise from people like Harold Scruby.... Need I say more.

Even today the vast number of road acident victims are drunk, indiginous, and in the towns of Alice, Tennant, Katherine and Darwin. The imposition of any speed limit is meaningless to these people.

When the 130 was introduced everyone drove at that speed. When the (//) was the guiding factor everyone drove at their chosen speed. Often much less than 130kph... These are experiences that I have observed personally.

The Japanese driver died in the Cannon Ball rally. A governmet sanctioned moror sport event that brought much $$$ into the NT. He was speeding through a section of hiway that was being repaired and the car club had posted a 100kph speed limit on that stretch. He was travelling at around 200kph in a Ferrari. He was a dentist. That hapenned in 1994 (I think). There was also 2 rally officials killed.

"P" plate drivers are restricted like in any other state.

Back when I could decide what was my safe speed, it's a long forgotten concept of taking responsibility for your own actions, my cruise speed was 200kph driving solo and 160kph with wife and kids. Its no biig deal once you become accustomed to it and the hiways are maintained proply..... Only ever in daylight hours...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

taslucas (5th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,719 Times in 3,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    I'm all for speed, the faster the better

If other countries can build decent roads and autobahns then why can't my tax dollars build decent roads and autobahns here in Australia
    The one and only reason is person per square kilometer...

Over in England its around 800 people, China is above 1000, Australia I think is below 100...

So our taxes would need to go up 8 fold to even start thinking about competing on infrastructure.. let alone a super fast internet...

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    The one and only reason is person per square kilometer...

Over in England its around 800 people, China is above 1000, Australia I think is below 100...

So our taxes would need to go up 8 fold to even start thinking about competing on infrastructure.. let alone a super fast internet...

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Our taxes don't need to go up to build a decent infrastructure, we just need a government that can invest and manage money, if our government was a business they would of closed there doors many many years ago
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (5th April 2013), Maxhead (5th April 2013), Woof (6th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    I don't disagree with open speed but to do so we need better roads and more importantly better driver training as that is what a lot of it comes down too. The ability of the monkey behind the wheel.
    We put our lives in the hands of the driver approaching us......

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    ........Whats the point of doing more than 130kph on crappy roads.
    More fuel usage , more damage from animal strikes, plus wear and tear increases.
    I'm happy to plod along and take in the sights of our great brown land......
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    ........ I love going quick but rather everyone going in the same direction.
    As in on a track. As we all know only takes one in experienced driver at speed to lose it. Education would help. New driver on "P"s
    wow what a recipe

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think our government do anything very smart but I agree with the others, unfortunately one of the drawbacks of few people/large area is that our roads and such simply can't be expected to be maintained as well as these highly populated countries.
    I'll happily accept the trade-off though!
    GUIII ZD30 Manual Wagon, OME 2" lift, 33" BFG AT's, Snorkel, Chip, 3" Redback Exh, Dual Batts, etc.
    KEEP OUR TRACKS LITTER FREE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BearGUST For This Useful Post:

NP99 (5th April 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    We put our lives in the hands of the driver approaching us......
    Totally agree

In 2000 I towed a 23ft van with an ex ambo ,351 auto around OZ safe overtaking speed 110 kph .
    Then you stumble across a convoy of grey nomads sometimes up to 6 underpowered cars towing big vans all bumper to bumper at 70-80 kph GRRRRR.

So you check ahead in the shimmering heat nothing in sight ok out we go you build up speed get half way past the convoy and crap where did he come from in the distance a fast approaching vehicle will I make it better not chance so I backed off only to just make it back in time as some hoon doing estimated 200+ goes flashing past (not just once either)
    even though I had miles to pass safely under speed restricted conditions unlimited roads made it a game of russian roulette .

thats my experience

Gaz

ps Ever been passed by a road train doin 120-130 k when your towing a van NOT FUN
    Last edited by Gazzman; 6th April 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: add some

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast