Thread: Dodgy paint

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodgy paint

Can anyone help out. My 98 gu in forest green is starting to fade on the bonnet. Is very faded on the front of the roof and the clear coat (I think) is starting to peel on the rear right quarter and rear drivers side door.

I wanna look at getting it patched up but have been told that the paint used on my model was a dodgy batch from Canada not right for aus conditions and its not worth patching because it will peel/fade again. I have been told that I would need to get a full respray sanded back to metal etc which would cost a bucket load. I.E not worth doing.

Is this true/reliable or should I still get it patched. I don't wanna fork out heaps of cash for the job just looking to tidy it up a little bit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    twiggsy I'd try a few places because they all have different opinons and some just don't want to do small jobs I use a bloke down here in Gelong who does work for local car yards ie he'll do the bits you want and his colour matching is excelent and he did a Pulsar bonnet for me for a couple of hundred[cash] I can PM his details if you like. Regards Grumbo

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a few quotes / opinions,

I find it strange that the spray painter could tell that it was a dodgy batch from Canada.

Have you had the vehicle from new????
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Nah I haven't had the car from new. I think I'm third owner maybe. I got the car as an inbetweener to get me by until I was able to by a near new patrol but found I love it. I love the fact it's a bit older and I can take it anywhere without to much of a worry for bodywork etc but I think I want to fix it up a bit so it looks bait easier on the eye as its my daily too. I reckon I'll keep the old beast until it doesn't run anymore.

I'll be gettin some quotes me thinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find not being the original owner it has previously been resprayed.

I had mine resprayed about 10 years ago due to a roll on its side, it was covered by insurance.

In the last year I have notice considerable bonnet fade but more upsetting is the roof has very small cracks in the paintwork all over and in some parts its peeling. I believe that being an insurance repair that there was no prep work done and they have sprayed straight over the top of the old paint
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 99 gu in marone and have the same prob. Its peeling on the bonnet scoop, front 1/4 and rear barn door. Have also heard that it was a bad batch.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not like it will stay in perfect condition anyway as the car gets used for what its meant to but it would look easier on the eye if it didnt have the faded and peeling paint. bush pin striping isnt a bad look on its own lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twiggsy View Post
    Can anyone help out. My 98 gu in forest green is starting to fade on the bonnet. Is very faded on the front of the roof and the clear coat (I think) is starting to peel on the rear right quarter and rear drivers side door.

I wanna look at getting it patched up but have been told that the paint used on my model was a dodgy batch from Canada not right for aus conditions and its not worth patching because it will peel/fade again. I have been told that I would need to get a full respray sanded back to metal etc which would cost a bucket load. I.E not worth doing.

Is this true/reliable or should I still get it patched. I don't wanna fork out heaps of cash for the job just looking to tidy it up a little bit.
    Hi mate being a spray painter and ex paint rep myself I can tell you that no one would have a clue if it was a bad batch of paint from Canada without doing tonnes of research. It sounds to me like it's a great example of an ex hail job that had most of the work PDRed (paintless dent removal) What a lot of insurance companies are doing these days when there massive hail storms is there doing PDR where possable, replacing the bonnet so it gets resprayed and the roof gets repaired and painted and the rear quarter panels and door was painted because of cracked paint or something. I could even guess that it was painted in PPG as it has a habit of going chalky and flaking after a few years. Any half decent paint shop will be able to repaint your bonnet, roof, quarter and door without having to respray the rest of the 4wd. There is a very good chance that the bonnet and roof will need to be taken back to the factory primer or possibly paint stripped though. There is no point repainting the panels without removing the cause first.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    You may find not being the original owner it has previously been resprayed.

I had mine resprayed about 10 years ago due to a roll on its side, it was covered by insurance.

In the last year I have notice considerable bonnet fade but more upsetting is the roof has very small cracks in the paintwork all over and in some parts its peeling. I believe that being an insurance repair that there was no prep work done and they have sprayed straight over the top of the old paint
    Most insurance work has a life time warranty on the repairs and paint for the whole time you own the car. This means if you owned the car at the time and this was done though insurance then it's still under warranty. How the warranty works is different with every insurance company and also the paint company can get involved also.

Cheers Mick.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mick. For This Useful Post:

twiggsy (9th March 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mick.