Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TB42 vs TD42

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do a simple question of whats better between two engines does the mention of snails get thrown in the equation ???

My GQ is the TB42 EFI Auto
    100% stock nissan and it has enuf power to do everything i need
    Heaps power , pulls large loads up hills
    Only donwside is the economy (or lack off)
    But its 3 tonne ,aerodynamics of a brick coupled with an auto
    Wasnt certainly bought cause it economic thats for sure

Diesel Vs Petrol
    Personal choice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just asking out of curiosity; a few people have mentioned that the TD42 engine is more grunty than the TB42, but looking at the specs, the petrol put out 129kw @ 4000rpm vs the diesel 85kw @ 4000rpm and the petrol produces 330Nm @ 3200rpm vs diesel 264Nm @ 3200 rpm. So the petrol would seem to produce significantly more power and torque at the same rpm than the diesel. Only the 4.2 diesel turbo (GU) puts out the same torque but at lower revs. Is this the one that's being refered to as 'more grunty'?

The original question did mention turbo's, and you know how easily we get side tracked!

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 14th January 2011 at 08:58 PM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep
    We have ways of making you "Torque"

Id certainly be interested in a seat of the pants 4.2 TD GU Vs GQ TB42 comparison

And we all no figures on paper dont mean much in the real world

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    Yep
    We have ways of making you "Torque"

Id certainly be interested in a seat of the pants 4.2 TD GU Vs GQ TB42 comparison

And we all no figures on paper dont mean much in the real world
    You are exactly right about figures on paper not meaning much. On paper the GQ TD42 naturally aspirated motor and GQ RD28T have very similar power and torque figures, but driving them reveals them to be completely different.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always thought one drove a TD42 and towed an RD28T
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waha waha waha
    Thats absolutely gold !!!!!

Seriously the RD28Ts are alrite
    They beat walkin i suppose
    But i reckon if ya stepped up to maybe a brisk walk
    Well thats different

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TB42E has extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust , i have fitted 4.375 ratio and run 265/75/16 tyres

The lower ratio has certainly woken the big behemouth up a bit , it almost takes off a standing start like a V6 Commo and loves to rev through the gears , more torque is felt through the rev range and is heaps responsive its better for towing , on inclines , headwnds , offroad 4wding and better engine braking on declines

It does not use any more fuel than before with the 3.9 ratio as it doesnt labor as much as before and only revs approx 250-300rpm more on the highway in overdrive with torque convertor locked , still get 400-420 highway km from 88litres LPG

I love it on the highway when overtaking , manually kick it down to 3rd and floor it and she just revs and pulls away .
    Also with the 4.375 ratio it makes the extractors and larger exhaust do their job a lot earlier rather than waiting for the revs to build up with the lazy 3.9's

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (15th January 2011), wolften (3rd February 2013), Woof (15th January 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi guys... i have td42 diesel with my nissan patrol at the moment. the reason diesel make lots of noise. my friend ask me to swap my td42 with his tb42 carburetor.. so do you guys think it will be worthy to swap with him... plz let me know.. i will highly appreciate you guys valuable advice... i m just confused which 1 better tb42 or td42 thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much all the differences have been listed above. It really comes down to personal choice and the type of driving you do. You should just have a drive of both and feel any differences for yourself. Some people swap but moast are happy with what they have. I got a petrol with auto because thats what i wanted when i was looking for a patrol. I am happy with it
    Hello from Under Down Under!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Toha (21st May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,460 Times in 6,271 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    My TB42E has extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust , i have fitted 4.375 ratio and run 265/75/16 tyres

The lower ratio has certainly woken the big behemouth up a bit , it almost takes off a standing start like a V6 Commo and loves to rev through the gears , more torque is felt through the rev range and is heaps responsive its better for towing , on inclines , headwnds , offroad 4wding and better engine braking on declines

It does not use any more fuel than before with the 3.9 ratio as it doesnt labor as much as before and only revs approx 250-300rpm more on the highway in overdrive with torque convertor locked , still get 400-420 highway km from 88litres LPG

I love it on the highway when overtaking , manually kick it down to 3rd and floor it and she just revs and pulls away .
    Also with the 4.375 ratio it makes the extractors and larger exhaust do their job a lot earlier rather than waiting for the revs to build up with the lazy 3.9's
    Hey mate what was rough cost of changing the diff gears?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast