Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool wiring basics

gday crew,

im fairly new to electrical systems in vehicles and was wonderring if anyone knows any good sites or could give a basic run down on how the wiring in cars works,trying to get my head around them so i might have some chance of diagnosing
    problems if they occur,seems to be some variations from what ive read so any info would really help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dehagoris View Post
    gday crew,

im fairly new to electrical systems in vehicles and was wonderring if anyone knows any good sites or could give a basic run down on how the wiring in cars works,trying to get my head around them so i might have some chance of diagnosing
    problems if they occur,seems to be some variations from what ive read so any info would really help
    Once you crack the 25 posts mate, you can get the manual .... that said, always good to have someone or somewhere that lays it out in simple English, so would be interested to know of something like this also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

dehagoris (3rd September 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh mate im no scholar so need someone to spell it out in black and white lol,lookin to install a headlights on feature.but a general run down would help alot in the future for sure

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Fletch or Yendor would be the best to answer this.

Tony

7. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

dehagoris (3rd September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate..
    Wiring can be a tricky bugga sometimes.. I will try and give you the best easiest run down i can

Essential tools for testing Wiring circuits
    -Multimeter
    -Test Light
    -Wire
    -Elec Terminals
    -Wire Strippers

Always check fuses first, as they are the weakest point in any wiring system as they are designed to be. most vehicles have 2 Fuse boxes, 1 inside vehicle and 1 in engine bay.
    Having a repair manual with all of the vehicle specific wiring diagrams will be a major help and will save you alot of time working out systems. You should never test computer wiring with a test light as this can cause damage to the computer. Only ever use a multimeter (or an LED Test light).

An Altenator will charge at between 13.2v and 14.4v, check the charge rate at the battery and at the back of the Altenator if able to.

Everything in a vehicle must have a power and earth to operate so if something isn't working its generally lost one of these things, its your job to find out which one..

Is there anything specific your after of just abit of a general idea?

Fletcha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to big_fletch For This Useful Post:

dehagoris (4th September 2011), gqpew (30th December 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (6th September 2011), rockndot (5th January 2012), WoffoDave (5th October 2011), Yendor (3rd September 2011), YNOT (3rd September 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you after basics as in setting a multimeter how to check for shorts, opens and excessive resistance or a bit more indepth? the easiest way i can see is if you can be a bit more specific on what info you are after

11. The Following User Says Thank You to warey For This Useful Post:

dehagoris (4th September 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry fletch pretty well doubled up your last bit. when i started to reply your post wasnt there but the dog went nuts so had to go investigate then when i did eventually submit yours was there oops!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warey View Post
    sorry fletch pretty well doubled up your last bit. when i started to reply your post wasnt there but the dog went nuts so had to go investigate then when i did eventually submit yours was there oops!
    ahaha nah your right mate, happens alot on this forum lol.. The more input and advice the better
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am with Fletch check ALL fuses first.

When fault finding most people will over look the earth side.

Also when chasing a problem where the fuse keeps blowing, I always start with any wiring or electrical items that may have been added to the vehicle such as radios extra lights.

You will be surprised how many times a trailer plug has caused problems with tail lights, stop lights or indicators.

If the vehicle has panel damage have a look around that area for damaged wires.

Bad connections will give off heat, depending on what circuit this is in you may be able to feel the heat with your hand (sometimes even smell the connector melting).

I have always found it best to step back and find out exactly what the complaint is or whats not working, before jumping in and pulling things apart, chances are you will disturb the problem and then it will start working again and you are left scratching your head.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (4th September 2011), dehagoris (4th September 2011), gqpew (30th December 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (6th September 2011), rockndot (5th January 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks fellas that gives me a good idea where to start,was just after a rough guide to electrics/fault finding as im goin to be doin a fair bit of travelling over the next year or so....cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast