Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
The temp on mine, towing, with an all up weight of around 5 tonne has never exceeded 105deg.C & that was working really hard on a hot day going up to Barrington Tops. For the past three years we've been in the Top End & in normal use rarely see the temp rise above 91 or 92, often closer to 80. My theory is that it relates to use of the right foot & that whilst TD42's can be be driven fast, their forte is burbling across the rough stuff at low revs with plenty of torque, & that if one accepts they are an old design & doesn't try to drive them like a modern car or a muscle car they wont overheat if well maintained, & kept reasonably close to stock. If it doesn't overheat when not towing I'd guess that pulling the van slower may be the answer, & if not the answer that you want, that perhaps you have chosen the wrong vehicle to pull a 3 tonne van.

No doubt one day mine will overheat & I'll have to eat my words, but so far so good - 2006 model stock except for 3" exhaust & a mild dyno (13psi) for towing. Not unusual to see us hurtling along the road at 80-85 kph.

Others may have different thoughts, just saying what works for me.
While I agree with you mate to some extent with the right foot theory. I invite you to take my Patrol for a drive on a 30c or higher day, you don't need a heavy foot to get the water temps standing to attention in my Patrol, and I've done everything known to man to keep it under control.