Hi all
Thinking of moving from 4.2 Diesel GQ to a GU for towing caravan. Talking long distance, say 8 months each year, top-end WA, Qld and so on.
Haven't got van yet but likely off-road job maybe close to 2.5T ATM. Ball weight could be 200-250kg too.
I'm thinking petrol but not sure 4.5 or 4.8. Auto would be nice and preferred as getting to my mid 60s now, but manual OK. Obviously fuel consumption and hence capacity would need to be enough for 6-800km. Not too keen to carry lots of jerries with petrol. Would also be looking to keep car as most likely the last I'll buy. Must be reliable.
I see that either engine size has early ones available often sub 300,000km in sub $10,000 range which would suit budget beautifully.
Looking for all advice, comments, suggestions. Also thought GU was rated to tow 3500 but most adds I've seen say 3140 (odd number) or only 2500 so would like that clarified too.

Thanks in advance everyone, Monty
(I think I might have asked a year or so ago about 4.5 v 4.8 but couldn't find it, so apologies for that).