OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Front end vibration

  1. #1
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Perth hills
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Front end vibration

    Hi all! Have not been on site recently but have a question for the collective, I have a 99 TD42T patrol with a little bit of an upgrade. I rescued a tourist off the beach at Lancelin and while dragging him through some pretty deep sand under full power I had a massive bang from the front of my 4b, closer inspection revealed I had blown up a auto hub, so I replaced it with a set of AVM free wheeling hubs. After fitting I noticed an intermittent vibration through the front of the vehicle on deceleration, never had it before, checked all the basics and found no faults. Crux of the story is I locked in the hubs 2 days ago as part of my diagnostic fault finding and bugger me, no vibration since, any one experienced any thing similar?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #2
    Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate

    Did you install it yourself?

    Im wondering if something still loose and not tightened?

  4. #3
    I am he, fear me the evil twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    W.A. (wandering aust)
    Posts
    6,170
    Thanks
    895
    Thanked 6,519 Times in 3,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushy674 View Post
    snip...I have a 99 TD42T patrol with a little bit of an upgrade. I rescued a tourist off the beach at Lancelin and while dragging him through some pretty deep sand under full power I had a massive bang from the front of my 4b, closer inspection revealed I had blown up a auto hub,
    Which is why the owners manual says when continuous 4WD'ing you should 'lock' the hubs and not leave them in 'auto' other than on the fly operation.

    Not having a shot, just saying it is a timely reminder for others who see the thread that the factory Auto Hubs are as strong or stronger than most manual hubs and only get a bad rep from not being 'locked' when required.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

    GQtdauto (2nd April 2018), threedogs (28th March 2018)

  6. #4
    Patrol God Avo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    pemberton
    Posts
    6,206
    Thanks
    8,030
    Thanked 6,810 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Which is why the owners manual says when continuous 4WD'ing you should 'lock' the hubs and not leave them in 'auto' other than on the fly operation.

    Not having a shot, just saying it is a timely reminder for others who see the thread that the factory Auto Hubs are as strong or stronger than most manual hubs and only get a bad rep from not being 'locked' when required.
    Well there ya go....i never knew that....cheers ET

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I just bought my lovely wife Jess a new model Patrol, as she deserves it more than me

  7. #5
    Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I read somewhere Auto position is only for light 4wding. Manual is when you want to do real solid offroad stuff.

  8. #6
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Perth hills
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I fitted myself, checked all the bolts, these were just an unbolt the old and fit the new type. Interesting point about the auto hubs as my previous mq and Gq were manual hubs I havenít really had much to do with them, that morning my auto hubs would not engage so I put them in manually prior to hitting the beach. I havenít owned this vehicle for that long and have only had it off road a few times.
    Last edited by Bushy674; 2nd April 2018 at 11:29 AM.

  9. #7
    Legendary
    PeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne South east
    Posts
    3,928
    Thanks
    3,605
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drgtr View Post
    yeah I read somewhere Auto position is only for light 4wding. Manual is when you want to do real solid offroad stuff.
    I don't really understand this comment. The hubs are a mechanical device, they are either locked or not locked, aren't they? I mean, there can't be a soft lock position, doesn't make sense. I think perhaps its more like they are auto for quick locking and unlocking of a short duration, say putting a boat in or out of the ramp, but either way they should be performing the same task with the same amount of capacity. If you are going to be in 4wd all day, then maybe putting them in via the manual method simply stops them coming un-done - not even sure if this would happen - although Landcruiser auto hubs used to disengage when the vehicle was put into reverse on the early models - I don't have 'auto hubs' either.
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

    Website:http://davesstuff.net/

    Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

    Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

  10. #8
    Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I don't really understand this comment. The hubs are a mechanical device, they are either locked or not locked, aren't they? I mean, there can't be a soft lock position, doesn't make sense. I think perhaps its more like they are auto for quick locking and unlocking of a short duration, say putting a boat in or out of the ramp, but either way they should be performing the same task with the same amount of capacity. If you are going to be in 4wd all day, then maybe putting them in via the manual method simply stops them coming un-done - not even sure if this would happen - although Landcruiser auto hubs used to disengage when the vehicle was put into reverse on the early models - I don't have 'auto hubs' either.
    Lol I agree with you. I though it was odd.

    Im no expert but I read from a few peoples post and how weak auto hubs are .
    Plus when you reverse they disengage?

    I honestly Prefer auto.

    I dont want to get out and change . My prado with full time 4wd and centre diff was a nice drive.

  11. #9
    Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Macedon Ranges, Victoria
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't use 4wd regularly its a good idea to engage the auto hubs in the manual position using your wheel brace but don't select 4wd. This will lubricate and rotate all the front drive components. This also applies to manual hub vehicles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •