Thread: GQ gearbox crunching

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Grinding gear into reverse could be signs of a clutch issue. Your slave cylinder is generally right next to your exhaust it could that.
    Thanks man. What sort of thing should I be looking for?

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See post #10.

You could try, when it's warm, just sit in gear with the clutch in on nice level ground. If after a bit with the clutch in and in gear it starts to creep forward then its most likely a master cylinder.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (6th October 2013), MudRunnerTD (6th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    syncro might be the issue also
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (6th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my third 256 View Post
    syncro might be the issue also
    I did wonder that but because it only happens when warm that perhaps it was something else.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just speaking to my dad and he said sincro teds to fail more when box gets hot and oil is thinner
    could try thicker oil and see what happens
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long since the last oil gear change?
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When shifting to reverse do you give the shafts in the gearbox a chance to slow down? I'm not sure if reverse has syncros, and mine crunches if I don't give it a chance to stop spinning. Avoid putting gl5 spec oils in the gearbox as this will eat away at your syncros. Gl4 only!
    I'd be changing your fluids. Same with the transfer case. If you have manual locking front hubs, chuck proper gearbox oil in the transfer, if you have auto hubs, then ATF. But the gearbox oil seems to make things feel 'smoother'.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (6th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    How long since the last oil gear change?
    Doesn't get driven much, probably 8000k ago and 18 months......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    When shifting to reverse do you give the shafts in the gearbox a chance to slow down? I'm not sure if reverse has syncros, and mine crunches if I don't give it a chance to stop spinning. Avoid putting gl5 spec oils in the gearbox as this will eat away at your syncros. Gl4 only!
    I'd be changing your fluids. Same with the transfer case. If you have manual locking front hubs, chuck proper gearbox oil in the transfer, if you have auto hubs, then ATF. But the gearbox oil seems to make things feel 'smoother'.
    Thanks Parksy.
    I would have thought if it were a syncro issue I'd be getting grinding on both up and down shifts between 1 & 2.
    It used to be the case where if I ran it through a 3-4 change and then into reverse I'd have less issues but it would still grind sometimes. That doesn't seem to work anymore.
    What you describe is sort of what it sounds like but I do tend to let everything sit for a little while before selecting reverse.
    I'm going to run Mattys test tomorrow if I can't get it into the shop before this weekends trip.
    Something is nagging at me that he is right about the clutch master cylinder as I have this sense the pedal feel isn't quite right.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I've noticed with mine, and maybe it's all in my head, is the gearboxes ability to 'learn' how you shift. I don't really know how to explain it, but if I force the gearbox into gear quickly, the feel turns to sh1t, even if I want to shift normally. It takes about a week of normal slow shifting for the gears to select nicely again. Then all good again. Anyone else notice anything like this?
    Btw, when did you last replace the nylon bushes on the end of the gearstick? If you have excessive movement here this can make shifting harder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast