PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43

MB
3rd May 2022, 05:18 PM
Steel bar on, minus the winch and managed to score 615mm exactly [emoji120][emoji120]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/82.jpg

To achieve matching rear uni joint angles on the shorty tailshaft for exactly 580mm unladen height took 12mm of purchased gearbox crossmember spacers each side and installation of adjustable upper control arms to shorten their length from OEM 400mm down to 375mm in the end.
I’m not 100% sure the 565mm front and 530mm rear factory ride heights for GQ’s is correct? This little thing looks like a jacked up Ford Bronco now [emoji28][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
3rd May 2022, 06:37 PM
1,999kg hooked to its back now with 10% towball weight, going to need an extra 5psi in the rear bags tomorrow for a 24hr delayed departure, here’s hoping Fords 1989 4.5L carbureted engines can handle some nonstop miles like Nissan’s old diesel dinosaur donks [emoji120][emoji120][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/83.jpg

MB
3rd May 2022, 06:46 PM
A Special THANKS also to PeeBee for kindly letting me rat through his carport workshop in his QLD working absence to steal an aftermarket sub tank capable bent adjustable upper control arm (drivers side). [emoji120][emoji120]

PeeBee
3rd May 2022, 07:22 PM
A Special THANKS also to PeeBee for kindly letting me rat through his carport workshop in his QLD working absence to steal an aftermarket sub tank capable bent adjustable upper control arm (drivers side). [emoji120][emoji120]

No probs Mark, you would do the same, safe travels

AB
3rd May 2022, 07:25 PM

You’ll be ok on your travels mate but it looks like a beast now!

Phil, that arm ain’t coming back now lol

Loving how that shorty looks now MB!

MB
3rd May 2022, 07:42 PM
Wait until I climb up over the bonnet & roof with rolls of White duct/racing tape AB Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
Full Ford Shelby Cobra [emoji216][emoji106][emoji106][emoji23]

MB
3rd May 2022, 08:22 PM
FWIW: For Top Folks whom own any variant (LWB/SWB/Ute) GQ-Y60 models with aftermarket auxiliary fuel tanks tucked up on the drivers side - beside the tail shaft and chassis, listen carefully pretty please before departing on your once in a lifetime family adventure [emoji120][emoji120]
Once the aftermarket auxiliary tank is installed, it is physically impossible to remove the front lower trailing arm (control arm drivers side) bolt to replace a rubber bush without completely removing the tank.
Poor design from several aftermarket manufacturers IMHO albeit hindered by OEM design, sell and forget I feel , please be sure to install OEM brand NEW front ‘rubber’ lower control/trailing arm bushes before your long awaiting earned departure [emoji120][emoji120]
That would be a horrible job to do trackside somewhere out in a current boggy desert [emoji266] [emoji248][emoji3062]

BrazilianY60
4th May 2022, 11:41 AM
Once the aftermarket auxiliary tank is installed, it is physically impossible to remove the front lower trailing arm

I noticed that even without any extra tank, that bolt is in the way of the muffler (on what you call the passenger side). A lot easier to jack the muffler up and make room for the bolt, though, but still the same issue "from factory".

BrazilianY60
4th May 2022, 11:43 AM
1,999kg hooked to its back now with 10% towball weight

How does that actually work? I have never towed anything and my knowledge about towing only goes as far as those internet videos of a toy car in a treadmill where they change the weight distribution to make it roll over...

mudnut
4th May 2022, 12:25 PM
How does that actually work? I have never towed anything and my knowledge about towing only goes as far as those internet videos of a toy car in a treadmill where they change the weight distribution to make it roll over...

You can buy a cheap towball weight scale. Basically a two pieces of pipe, one inside the other with spring and graduated weight indications.

BrazilianY60
5th May 2022, 05:35 AM
So the way to go is to have those 2T almost balanced over the trailer axle other then some 200kg of it being perceived at the towball? 10% is the rule of thumb when towing?

Winnie
5th May 2022, 06:34 AM
FWIW: For Top Folks whom own any variant (LWB/SWB/Ute) GQ-Y60 models with aftermarket auxiliary fuel tanks tucked up on the drivers side - beside the tail shaft and chassis, listen carefully pretty please before departing on your once in a lifetime family adventure [emoji120][emoji120]
Once the aftermarket auxiliary tank is installed, it is physically impossible to remove the front lower trailing arm (control arm drivers side) bolt to replace a rubber bush without completely removing the tank.
Poor design from several aftermarket manufacturers IMHO albeit hindered by OEM design, sell and forget I feel , please be sure to install OEM brand NEW front ‘rubber’ lower control/trailing arm bushes before your long awaiting earned departure [emoji120][emoji120]
That would be a horrible job to do trackside somewhere out in a current boggy desert [emoji266] [emoji248][emoji3062]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMark when you put the bolt back in, turn it around and put the nut on the tank side so you can remove it. AB and I did this when we installed our tanks at his house.
From memory we had to cut about 5mm off the end of the bolt.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
5th May 2022, 07:07 PM
Mark when you put the bolt back in, turn it around and put the nut on the tank side so you can remove it. AB and I did this when we installed our tanks at his house.
From memory we had to cut about 5mm off the end of the bolt.

That’ll definitely do the trick thanks Chrisso Mate [emoji106][emoji106] Stupid side steps on this Shorty currently stop that too but a Shipload easier removing them than a tank for sure [emoji120][emoji120]

MB
5th May 2022, 07:16 PM
So the way to go is to have those 2T almost balanced over the trailer axle other then some 200kg of it being perceived at the towball? 10% is the rule of thumb when towing?

Recommendations I’ve been following for some years now BZ Mate is between 5% 15% of total trailer weight should be apparently the weight of your trailer hitch on the tow vehicles ball.
5% I’ve trialled and it never felt too comfortable to me, still a bit wobbly on tow.
15% on our GQ’s towing say max legal I believe of 2,500kg puts it over our rear towball 250kg allowance I believe?
Even on my bigger GU’s before with 3,500kg towing capacity and 350kg towball allowance I feel 10% for both GU & GQ is the perfect balance.
Many other trailer configurations factors to consider too I’m sure and please don’t take this as legal Gospel [emoji120][emoji120]

jff45
5th May 2022, 07:22 PM
All baked, rebuilt & refitted. Just need to bleed it all and try it out..

Now doing the front calipers so that will finish a complete overhaul of the whole 20 year old braking system including the hydro boost unit, complete set of braided lines, new slotted rotors front & rear and the rebuilt calipers with ECB Yellowstuff front & DBA Extreme pads for the rear.

Winnie
5th May 2022, 07:31 PM
That’ll definitely do the trick thanks Chrisso Mate [emoji106][emoji106] Stupid side steps on this Shorty currently stop that too but a Shipload easier removing them than a tank for sure [emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah I have to remove side steps to get the bolt out but figured that is a much easier task than dropping the tank.

MB
5th May 2022, 08:05 PM
…………………………here’s hoping Fords 1989 4.5L carbureted engines can handle some nonstop miles like Nissan’s old diesel dinosaur donks [emoji120][emoji120][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/83.jpg

Fair Diddly Dinkum, I should’ve brought the TD42 faithful slug ute for this work trip [emoji28]

Two solid pre-sunrise to sun-down days driving, fixing, stopping searching for parts and we’ve only made 1,000km with a mere 2hrs paid work stop this afternoon.

From start to finish, replacing electrical bits and bobs wherever we could find them we’ve so far installed over the last 500km:

#Ignition coil (GT40R) almost impossible to find these days in stock out there.
#All ignition leads, coil/spark, no kits available for TB42S, hand picked for length at various stores enroute.
#Distributor cap, found the last one in NSW at Dubbo.
#Electric fuel pump, had a spare in the back.

We’ve nearly lost all peddle now and putted into Tamworth tonight using torque at 10% throttle and still have another 300 clicks tomorrow to hopefully meet a Petronix ignitor that AB has kindly express posted from Mexico [emoji120][emoji120]

A long story picture short, diagnosis’s has been confusing & tiresome over many kms:

Cooling down the suspect hot coil every 50km originally:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/85.jpg

Replacing all leads……..better for a while.

Finally noticing distributor cap damage:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/86.jpg

Tracking down a new distributor cap……….

Modify the aftermarket rotor back to standard OEM length from previous owners performance enhancements:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/87.jpg

The OEM rotor balance spring/weight that counteracts cannot cope with this heavy extended performance modification and has assisted slight dizzy bearing degradation/wobble in my nuffy opinion, hence the previous severe cap uneven damage.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/88.jpg

It has been a weirdest ever changing diagnosis fault on any vehicle I have ever owned and finally tonight have much clearer consistent symptoms of it being like cooked points of old except it has an aftermarket Petronix replacement ignitor custom installed [emoji3062]

mudski
5th May 2022, 08:38 PM
Was hoping to depart for urgent NSW work early in the morning utilising the little TB45NA tug boat weapon for our Kanga trailer and gear. Picked up some new 2” shocks and 2” GU springs to handle my guesstimated weight needs with front steel work awaiting fitment ASAP. Whoops…..it’s standing proud at 4” lift now and its rear mini shorty tailshaft unladen is near 5 degrees at least uni joint uneven and vibrating badly [emoji51]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/80.jpg

A quick run in another vehicle to Patrolapart to pickup gearbox crossmember dropdown spacers (12mm) and will steal upper adjustable control arms off my GQ ute in the morning for hopefully a half day only delayed departure needed [emoji383] [emoji120][emoji120]

Love the shorties!

MB
5th May 2022, 08:42 PM
Summary: I apologise to all Patrol owners out there for giving us a bad name bonnet up frequently on our highways for Landcrabs to feel betterer about themselves [emoji23]
As soon as is possible (back home hopefully parts available) this little shorty will be converted back to OEM full specs of points & condenser with a spare set thrown in the ashtray for changeover every 100,000kms [emoji120][emoji120]
Please DO-NOT install performance modified longer distributor rotors folks and I’m seriously questioning newfound Petronix upgrades for heat resistance/longevity from previous owners installation too [emoji848]

mudski
5th May 2022, 08:44 PM
Fair Diddly Dinkum, I should’ve brought the TD42 faithful slug ute for this work trip [emoji28]

Two solid pre-sunrise to sun-down days driving, fixing, stopping searching for parts and we’ve only made 1,000km with a mere 2hrs paid work stop this afternoon.

From start to finish, replacing electrical bits and bobs wherever we could find them we’ve so far installed over the last 500km:

#Ignition coil (GT40R) almost impossible to find these days in stock out there.
#All ignition leads, coil/spark, no kits available for TB42S, hand picked for length at various stores enroute.
#Distributor cap, found the last one in NSW at Dubbo.
#Electric fuel pump, had a spare in the back.

We’ve nearly lost all peddle now and putted into Tamworth tonight using torque at 10% throttle and still have another 300 clicks tomorrow to hopefully meet a Petronix ignitor that AB has kindly express posted from Mexico [emoji120][emoji120]

A long story picture short, diagnosis’s has been confusing & tiresome over many kms:

Cooling down the suspect hot coil every 50km originally:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/85.jpg

Replacing all leads……..better for a while.

Finally noticing distributor cap damage:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/86.jpg

Tracking down a new distributor cap……….

Modify the aftermarket rotor back to standard OEM length from previous owners performance enhancements:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/87.jpg

The OEM rotor balance spring/weight that counteracts cannot cope with this heavy extended performance modification and has assisted slight dizzy bearing degradation/wobble in my nuffy opinion, hence the previous severe cap uneven damage.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/88.jpg

It has been a weirdest ever changing diagnosis fault on any vehicle I have ever owned and finally tonight have much clearer consistent symptoms of it being like cooked points of old except it has an aftermarket Petronix replacement ignitor custom installed [emoji3062]

Looks like that dizzy itself has worn out. The shaft might have too much play in it by the looks of that pic.

MB
5th May 2022, 09:03 PM
It definitely needs replacing eventually Mr Mark Mate, impossible to find anywhere in Australia ATM as far as we’ve all Team behind the scenes searched too. It’s a TB42S dizzy with TB45 gearing. Patrolapart are out of TB42S stock ones also and the best I tracked down from IMGroup changeover rebuilders in Melbourne is 2 weeks away.
IMHO there is only the slightest of bearing wobble, any sparky truck I ever owned in the old days wouldn’t have even spluttered with the right rotor at say 3mm clearance.
I am 99% sure this aftermarket bullshit counterweight concept was contributing as since filing it off and a fresh new cap we are thankfully spinning again without cartwheeling damage at all now [emoji106][emoji106]
Huge sparks can form inside old dizzy’s and I’m suspect that this has caused overheating the Petronix but time will tell parts enroute [emoji1696][emoji1696]

MB
5th May 2022, 09:09 PM
Looks like that dizzy itself has worn out. The shaft might have too much play in it by the looks of that pic.

Did I mention, please don’t sell your TD42Ti Mark Mate, as Jaysee kindly said…..”you’ll regret it in the future” or something like that [emoji120][emoji120]

mudski
5th May 2022, 09:43 PM
Did I mention, please don’t sell your TD42Ti Mark Mate, as Jaysee kindly said…..”you’ll regret it in the future” or something like that [emoji120][emoji120]

Hahaha! Well after the bill Rossco’s mob have given me old mate. I will never be buying another Patrol. Or car to that matter.[emoji38]

MB
5th May 2022, 09:54 PM
What’s happened [emoji51] Everything ok? [emoji120][emoji120]

Rossco
5th May 2022, 10:27 PM
Hahaha! Well after the bill Rossco’s mob have given me old mate. I will never be buying another Patrol. Or car to that matter.[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat's going on with the old girl?? . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MB
5th May 2022, 10:32 PM
Old Girl ? That’s by FAR the best and tightest honest GU TD42Ti I’ve ever wished for, FULL Credit Build mudski [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

mudnut
5th May 2022, 11:34 PM
Is it possible to drill a series of small holes in the lengthened dissy button to counteract the extra weight?

mudski
6th May 2022, 07:56 AM
What’s happened [emoji51] Everything ok? [emoji120][emoji120]

Everythings fine mate. I'm just flat out broke now. It'll be worth it in the end though. I hope. Lol

mudski
6th May 2022, 07:57 AM
What's going on with the old girl?? . .

Nothing now. I nearly sold it is what almost happened.

Hodge
6th May 2022, 08:03 AM
Nothing now. I nearly sold it is what almost happened.What's this madness you speak off...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mudski
6th May 2022, 08:09 AM
What's this madness you speak off...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I had a chance to upgrade with very little outlay and I sat on it for too long and just missed out. Ah well, it was to never be I suppose.

MB
7th May 2022, 06:52 PM
……………Please DO-NOT install performance modified longer distributor rotors folks and I’m seriously questioning newfound Petronix upgrades for heat resistance/longevity from previous owners installation too [emoji848]

I stand by my earlier opinion on the aftermarket extended performance TB42S dizzy rotors that do cartwheel/destroy above.
Have definitely changed my mind on the longevity potential of the Petronix upgraded ignitor from previous owners install.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/91.jpg

Arrived at final work destination last night and fulfilled a decent days work start today finally. Was greeted by @AB’s overnight Pak&Send thankful parcel of a replacement Petronix from Patrolapart down in Mexico-Lilydale [emoji120][emoji120]
Not a minute too late, we crossed some of the steepest parts of the East Coasts GDR at times down to 1st gear [emoji3541] low range with hazard lights to reach each roller coaster [emoji567] peak for another downhill 1/2/3/4/5th gear 1,000rpm windup again for the next [emoji23]
Petronix has held on for seriously 1,000km of hell but didn’t stop completely, FULL RESPECT Mr P Thankyou [emoji123][emoji123]

MB
7th May 2022, 07:09 PM
An honest word of warning too for anybody out there Caravan trekking Oz at the moment, please do keep off Armidale Road down to Grafton ways. Possibly the worst/dangerous ongoing bitumen potholes I’ve experienced after the rains these poor buggers have had up here. We’ve broken a spring on the little machine trailer at very low speeds coming down, there’s also a week long I believe cycling event underway, head north or south, avoid at all costly coast drop downs [emoji120][emoji120]

Plasnart
7th May 2022, 08:19 PM
An honest word of warning too for anybody out there Caravan trekking Oz at the moment, please do keep off Armidale Road down to Grafton ways. Possibly the worst/dangerous ongoing bitumen potholes I’ve experienced after the rains these poor buggers have had up here. We’ve broken a spring on the little machine trailer at very low speeds coming down, there’s also a week long I believe cycling event underway, head north or south, avoid at all costly coast drop downs [emoji120][emoji120]

Cycling event. The easiest way possible to disrupt the most people possible for the benefit of the least people possible to attract nobody to the local ratepaying businesses you've just closed off the local roads to. Get a grip.

mudnut
10th May 2022, 06:43 PM
Gave the Old Trol a 4" lift with blocks of wood. Gotta get a hoist instead of stuffing around, just to do the Gearbox and diff oil. And yes, that is a ghost standing behind the spare on the trailer.

Best advice given to me was to crack the top plugs first. It took using a breaker bar with a piece of pipe and a bottle jack to get the gearbox and diff top plugs to move. It was touch and go as to whether I needed to weld a socket onto them.

To get the bottom plug out, I used a bottle jack to hold the breaker bar in the plug.

I am thinking of designing a tool that sits securely on a jack, but lets the breaker bar turn.

10G
11th May 2022, 09:52 AM
hahahaha, 4" lift ^^^ nice work.

mudnut
11th May 2022, 06:03 PM
330000 km service done! What a prick, the front uni joints are to grease. I found it easier to drop the TF case one to get at the grease nipples.

Cuppa
13th May 2022, 01:57 PM
Not today, a few days ago. Drove through two rivers (actually more than 70 crossings in the 190kms we travelled, but most were fairly shallow) both had water the same height & both fairly wide. The Wenlock & Pascoe Rivers on the way to Lockhart River. Deepest water we've crossed in the car. 800mm. Both over concrete causeways , but one had a lot of deep sand on it from when the level had been up to 14 metres recently. Wasn't fun for the short time when all four wheels were spinning & I wasn't making progress. Thought we had got through ok, but yesterday noticed the car was a bit on the nose. Water got in somewhere, just not sure where. All the sound proofing felt underneath the vinyl floorcovering is wet, but thankfully only in the driver side footwell. Today seat is out, various pieces of trim removed & the floor covering lifted with an electric fan drying things out. Might take a while if the 100% humidity keeps up.

Hodge
20th May 2022, 01:14 PM
Got the brakes and bearings done. Initially got a Bendix ultimate upgrade kit for the front. Rotors, braided hoses and pads, new fluid too. Turned out bearings had to be done as well as the rear brakes too. So ended up doing rotors and pads all around. At least that's out of the way for a while.

Performance? I don't know what to think as this is the first time i've ever had a brake upgrade of this magnitude.
I understand they will take a bit to "bed" in before full effect. So far the pedal feels the same. First half of press more or less does nothing and then it begins "grab". The latter half definitely grips and anchors the car more and i guess it'll become better as time goes on.
But am I expecting to much if i was to say I expected "more" from the pedal early on considering the work done?? I'm assuming it was all bled properly.

mudski
20th May 2022, 03:25 PM
Got the brakes and bearings done. Initially got a Bendix ultimate upgrade kit for the front. Rotors, braided hoses and pads, new fluid too. Turned out bearings had to be done as well as the rear brakes too. So ended up doing rotors and pads all around. At least that's out of the way for a while.

Performance? I don't know what to think as this is the first time i've ever had a brake upgrade of this magnitude.
I understand they will take a bit to "bed" in before full effect. So far the pedal feels the same. First half of press more or less does nothing and then it begins "grab". The latter half definitely grips and anchors the car more and i guess it'll become better as time goes on.
But am I expecting to much if i was to say I expected "more" from the pedal early on considering the work done?? I'm assuming it was all bled properly.

Was it braided hoses all round? You can put the TB48 brake master cylinder in which has a larger bore size also, this will assist in braking if you want more.

Let the brakes bed in for a bit and see.

Rossco
20th May 2022, 05:52 PM
Found genuine pads stop way better than Bendix in the GQ could give them a try or wait they wear out a bit. .

Going to do brake upgrade too soon on GUte as brakes are petty dam terrible, ordered braided lines will start with that but will go TB48 callipers rotors and master cylinder down the track I think. . At least will be able to tell difference instead of doing everything at once which I did with GQ. .

Hydralic booster looks like a very good upgrade too and have only heard good things from those who have done it. .

Hodge
20th May 2022, 09:14 PM
Was it braided hoses all round? You can put the TB48 brake master cylinder in which has a larger bore size also, this will assist in braking if you want more.

Yeah braided all around. Don't know what difference this makes but they came with the kit so i got them fitted.

Found genuine pads stop way better than Bendix in the GQ could give them a try or wait they wear out a bit. .

Going to do brake upgrade too soon on GUte as brakes are petty dam terrible, ordered braided lines will start with that but will go TB48 callipers rotors and master cylinder down the track I think. . At least will be able to tell difference instead of doing everything at once which I did with GQ. .

Hydralic booster looks like a very good upgrade too and have only heard good things from those who have done it. .

4.8 front brake kit was my original intention. But scoring a set is like finding a unicorn with golden teeth. And fronts were getting pretty bad on the car plus ive had a few trips lined up so i had to get everything done quick with what i could grab now. One or both of my front rotors were warped from crooked river barrage of crossings few years ago, so i've procrastinated on it long enough. :biggrin:

PeeBee
21st May 2022, 04:24 AM
The combo of factory pads and braided lines got me thru the 44 emerg stop test for the GVM upgrade I reckon, great combo. I am running the TB48 booster and master with the Willwood brakes and find the braking better, not hyper dramatic, but no fade now at all and they pull up with a great pedal feel.

PeeBee
21st May 2022, 04:33 AM
Fitted Superior Eng Hyperflex sway bars front and rear today. Rears were a bit of drama, got 'Brunswicked again' with the location of the muffler support bracket being welded over the mount plate, but Mt Grinder sorted that out. The rears are also requiring of a 3 handed person to get the mount plate installed, takes about 30 mins a side to get the alignment inside the chassis rails, however once achieved the setup is rock solid. Massive difference in the diameter of the bars also, up from 16mm to 24mm. Fronts are straight forward. Be warned the instructions are necessary for the front/rear and they are a website download, which isn't clear when you buy them the instructions though are fine.

BrazilianY60
21st May 2022, 05:15 AM
3 handed person

:smileyvault-cute-bi

If it is only to support the part for alignment and if reachable from bellow, maybe you can use a bottle jack as the third hand.

Cremulator
21st May 2022, 10:09 AM

Rossco, I would cost up the TB48 calipers, rotors and master cylinder against the hydraulic brake booster from Mark's 4WD. Personally (and this is the way I decided to approach it) I would do the hydraulic booster first, then add calipers and rotors.
The TB48 calipers will work well with the hydraulic booster if you decided to upgrade them later, but I gotta say you will be more than impressed with the difference just the hydraulic booster has on the braking response!

growler2058
21st May 2022, 11:18 AM
What I’m about to do to Agatha3?85353

Rossco
21st May 2022, 11:23 AM
Rossco, I would cost up the TB48 calipers, rotors and master cylinder against the hydraulic brake booster from Mark's 4WD. Personally (and this is the way I decided to approach it) I would do the hydraulic booster first, then add calipers and rotors.
The TB48 calipers will work well with the hydraulic booster if you decided to upgrade them later, but I gotta say you will be more than impressed with the difference just the hydraulic booster has on the braking response!

Yeah definatly not a bad way to go. . Looking online looks like Mark's kit is listed as 1400 to 1800 mark, got a price from patrolapart for calipers, rotors, master cylinder and genuine pads for just under 2K all new which doesn't sound too bad really. . . Anyways start with lines then flip a coin maybe [emoji848][emoji6]. . .

jff45
21st May 2022, 04:30 PM

Have to agree.. I did the DBA slotted rotors with ECB Yellowstuff pads and all braided lines as well. Was better but still not really reassuring enough. I did the hydro boost mod and it made a really significant difference. I should have tried the hydro boost first like Ash did.

Cremulator
22nd May 2022, 12:59 AM
Yeah definatly not a bad way to go. . Looking online looks like Mark's kit is listed as 1400 to 1800 mark, got a price from patrolapart for calipers, rotors, master cylinder and genuine pads for just under 2K all new which doesn't sound too bad really. . . Anyways start with lines then flip a coin maybe [emoji848][emoji6]. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using TapatalkIt should be $1,250 for the TD42 or $1,685 if you want braided lines with it.
I put the braided lines in with the hydraulic booster.
If you do go for the calipers, rotors, master cylinder and pads from patrolapart, I would be very interested to do a comparison :)

Hodge
22nd May 2022, 09:11 AM

Just curious Rossco have they given you a timeframe for the parts?? When I spoke to them 2 weeks ago about the 4.8 kit, the bloke giggled and said the waiting list grows by the second.

PeeBee
22nd May 2022, 10:23 AM
:smileyvault-cute-bi

If it is only to support the part for alignment and if reachable from bellow, maybe you can use a bottle jack as the third hand.

No its the get the plate inside the cross member and lift it upwards to align with the holes in the chassis rail then hold the bracket in place while you screw the bolt in, all done under fatigue and aching fingers by that stage - its a right bugger of a job, but the only solution I can tell.

Rossco
22nd May 2022, 03:36 PM
Just curious Rossco have they given you a timeframe for the parts?? When I spoke to them 2 weeks ago about the 4.8 kit, the bloke giggled and said the waiting list grows by the second.Was that new or used? Didn't give an exact time frame but sounded like some were on the way not too far off . . That's all new stuff think used calipers at least go out the door pretty quick. .

mudski
23rd May 2022, 08:42 AM

Yep I use Genuine pads. I find them great.

My TB48 upgrade is awesome but I find now its too good and in the wet its a bit sketchy. ABS would be handy now.

Stropp
23rd May 2022, 11:20 AM
I have a set of front discs and pads, secondhand, we’re put on the patrol before I bought it and I changed all of them after a year to slotted and new pads so if you need or anyone some $100 plus post

MB
23rd May 2022, 06:25 PM
Gave it half a 2,500km round trip collection Piggyback [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/146.jpg

Tight but fit …………just [emoji51]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/147.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/05/148.jpg

Stupid spark spazzing distributor owes me $1,500 worth of diesel when I finally track another one down here in Mexico, aint none in NSW that I could find dammit [emoji22]

Rossco
23rd May 2022, 06:31 PM
Wow lucky for the tight dimensions of the stealth bar, no chance with an ARB high mount special[emoji6][emoji6]

Winnie
23rd May 2022, 06:45 PM
Bloody hell MB you'd be better off buying a RAM pickup for work towing duties.

MB
23rd May 2022, 06:54 PM
Or you could swap TB <> TD motors with me would be the best outcome, you’ll love the 4.5L Young Blokes burnouts this thing can do when firing properly [emoji123][emoji123][emoji23]

Winnie
23rd May 2022, 07:33 PM
With mates like that who needs enemies?? [emoji1787]

MB
23rd May 2022, 07:48 PM
Must say Brother, you’re only half my age but definitely twice as mature, there aint no now or ever fooling you Legend [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Dasa
25th May 2022, 07:30 PM
TD42 was using ~20L per 100k.

Replaced air filter but it wasn't bad other than the fact that there had been some dust getting past the foam seals between the filter and the DTS air box. Unfortunately DTS doesn't sell replacements just wants $350 or suggested some weather stripping but I would rather not risk a gap where the ends meet so ordered a Radius air box.
Put some injector cleaner in the tank and two cans of Liqui-Moly Resealer Engine Oil Treatment in just to see if it actually works.

replaced the fuel filter, this had some large lumps of gunk around the water sensor so I am guessing this was the problem.
Had a little helper jump in when they noticed my arms about to fall off trying to remove the fuel filter. Unfortunately it was just good for a laugh.

Fuel consumption returned to ~12L per 100k for almost two tanks but after 1200k fuel usage went back up using half a tank to go 200k so I am guessing as the tank got low it sucked up some more crap.

mudnut
26th May 2022, 12:34 PM
Tested the head and rewired the trailer sockets to suit the pop top.

jay see
10th June 2022, 05:43 PM
Took it over the scales.
2960kg with about 100 litres of fuel, myself and the old battery that was taking to the tip. My gvm plate states 2960kg as well. Would hate the think what I'm at with 220 litres of fuel and camping gear... Shit even without the camping gear and the main tank full I'll be over.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

Hodge
10th June 2022, 08:25 PM
Took it over the scales.
2960kg with about 100 litres of fuel, myself and the old battery that was taking to the tip. My gvm plate states 2960kg as well. Would hate the think what I'm at with 220 litres of fuel and camping gear... Shit even without the camping gear and the main tank full I'll be over.

Sent from my CPH1921 using TapatalkYou and around 90% of Patrols on the road mate...

Plasnart
10th June 2022, 09:59 PM
Took it over the scales.

C'mon mate how can that be? What's adding all that invisible weight? Larger tyre/rim combo than factory? Roof rack? Drawers? Fridge? Dual batteries? Winch? Bullbar? Amazingly huge knackers?? Gotta be more breathing room than what you've indicated surely.

mudski
10th June 2022, 10:21 PM
C'mon mate how can that be? What's adding all that invisible weight? Larger tyre/rim combo than factory? Roof rack? Drawers? Fridge? Dual batteries? Winch? Bullbar? Amazingly huge knackers?? Gotta be more breathing room than what you've indicated surely.

I remember when I took my Patrol for the Engineers certificate, the engineer said Patrols and Landcruisers were so close to their GVM from factory, with a car full of the allow passengers and the tanks full its on or over their gvm. Mine only passed because I didn't fill my tanks and it went of a massive diet pre inspection.

Plasnart
10th June 2022, 10:33 PM
I remember when I took my Patrol for the Engineers certificate, the engineer said Patrols and Landcruisers were so close to their GVM from factory, with a car full of the allow passengers and the tanks full its on or over their gvm. Mine only passed because I didn't fill my tanks and it went of a massive diet pre inspection.

Off the top of my head I thought there was approx 400kg to play with. JC said just him and a battery on board. Something's not right.

jay see
11th June 2022, 12:33 AM

The only things that you didn't mention are fridge cage and drop down slide and scrub bars and sliders.

I'll gone to the tip with a trailer full of crap and have been over 3300 kg

Hodge
11th June 2022, 12:02 PM

Really doesn't take that much Plassie if you think about it. I was surprised my self when I went over the scale. Bullbar, winch, alloy roof rack, 33" steelies and tyres x 5, and draws (roughly80kg). Both tanks full and me in the seat, I was roughly one adult away from gvm. Add some camping gear, beer and it's game over.
That 400kg play is eaten up quick by accessories, which on a STOCK car would be eaten up by passengers.
I've since ditched the draws and a heavy AGM. Gained a lithium battery at rear. But also added a rear bar with swing aways. So Don't know where it's at now.

Most GU's run similar setups more or less and as i said above I reckon most would be close if not over in "camping" mode.

mudski
13th June 2022, 06:25 PM
Took it out Toolangi way and got a load of firewood.
We came across this fallen tree.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/29.jpg

Managed to get nearly all of it in the trailer.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/30.jpg

Bloody decent tree it was. I’ll be going back this coming weekend to get another load before the season closes.

I need to make a cage for the trailer next.

mudski
20th June 2022, 10:01 PM
Took the Patrol out again for another load. Just me and the missus this time. Went down a track, looked like it was steep on the Topo map, but it was short so we took it.
Yeah. With it near full trailer and descending a wet and greasy track, going straight wasn’t an option. The wife was hanging on pretty hard. It feels so unnatural to accelerate to try and straighten up
When your brain just says hit the brakes.
Pics never do it justice. But I’m going back there this weekend as their was some cracker fallen trees there. We stopped to collect a bit more firewood and thankfully it was in a sunny spot so the ground wasn’t too slippery.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/54.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/55.jpg

Sprock
20th June 2022, 11:58 PM
& here’s you taking pics while the cook is splittin wood - lucky she didn’t turn around & see you or you’d be dodging an incoming wood splitter I rekn haha

mudski
21st June 2022, 08:23 AM
& here’s you taking pics while the cook is splittin wood - lucky she didn’t turn around & see you or you’d be dodging an incoming wood splitter I rekn haha

Haha! She's getting pretty good at splitting now. Just needs more power in her swing.

MB
26th June 2022, 09:08 AM
Early start stripping down my entire brake system on the GQ ute:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/69.jpg

PeeBee-Philstar kindly gifted me some twin pot front calipers a week or so ago and after fitting I have uncovered last night why they only ran great for about 100km.

Checked my fluids shelf in the shed and turns out I must’ve accidentally grabbed the power steering fluid (yellow bottle also) to bleed the front new brakes……IDIOT [emoji2959]

Proportional valve rubbers have since swollen and jammed, brand new master cylinder rooted and jamming too and guaranteed all 4 calipers seals will be buggered also…….very expensive FARK UP…….[emoji26]

Thankfully Philstar is kindly gifting me again his old rear calipers and near new master cylinder [emoji120][emoji120]

Supposed to be departing early tomorrow for a school holidays adventure with our youngest but looks like a Patrolapart visit is required first to grab a new proportional valve and changeover front calipers.

Slow down, don’t rush, is my only advice here learnt the hard way, internal brake rubber components must hate petroleum based accidents [emoji51][emoji23]

MB
26th June 2022, 11:11 AM
Compressed air blasted out and deliberately wasted 4L of Dot3, hoping that’ll be enough for cleaning out the hardlines [emoji120][emoji120]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/70.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/71.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/72.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/73.jpg

Certainly starting to look better than the burnt and oily milky power steering fluid debacle found within the system yesterday [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/74.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/75.jpg

jay see
26th June 2022, 11:25 AM
Slow down, don’t rush, is my only advice here learnt the hard way, internal brake rubber components must hate petroleum based accidents [emoji51][emoji23]

Yep. Happens to me alot. Wanna hurry up and get the job done and it ends up being double the cost and twice as long.

I now say to myself slow down and don't f@#k up before I start anything..

MB
26th June 2022, 06:35 PM
Cannot Thank You Enough Philstar, your generosity is always beyond belief [emoji120][emoji120][emoji3590][emoji3590]
Rear calipers installed this afternoon with flash new braided lines kindly gifted too!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/76.jpg

Fronts awaiting a Patrolapart visit tomorrow for a rebuild rubber kit as online Sunday they appear ‘Out of Stock’ for changeover of your previous generosity twin pot GQ EFI calipers gifts and slotted rotors [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/77.jpg

Watched some Youtubey videos today as I’ve never personally reconditioned calipers before, sexy time gloves are ready to hopefully keep grubby contaminated fingers off the seals going in deep [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/78.jpg

MB
26th June 2022, 07:28 PM
Widened my GQ front hole to fit the old Family GU Tourer pole [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/79.jpg

Has been quite a few years since near salty dunes, worth corrosion squirting them down folks prior to storage issue just found [emoji120][emoji736]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/80.jpg

Here’s hoping a 55rwkw brake less tired mountain twuck can even get close to the top of a measly dune to warrant a flag [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/81.jpg

PeeBee
26th June 2022, 08:43 PM
Cannot Thank You Enough Philstar, your generosity is always beyond belief [emoji120][emoji120][emoji3590][emoji3590]
Rear calipers installed this afternoon with flash new braided lines kindly gifted too!!

Fronts awaiting a Patrolapart visit tomorrow for a rebuild rubber kit as online Sunday they appear ‘Out of Stock’ for changeover of your previous generosity twin pot GQ EFI calipers gifts and slotted rotors [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Watched some Youtubey videos today as I’ve never personally reconditioned calipers before, sexy time gloves are ready to hopefully keep grubby contaminated fingers off the seals going in deep [emoji23]

Pay it forward Mark, doesn't hurt to help anyone in a time of need. You are a constant help to me and many others on this forum, so swings and round-abouts I reckon. Hope the latest challenge is resolved with the minimum of hassle and you get on your way with the 'little'n asap for a much needed break. happy and safe travels.

PeeBee
26th June 2022, 08:46 PM

One thing is for sure they should come apart a lot easier than when I re-co'd them!! Its not a big hassle for a man of your capability, only time.

PeeBee
26th June 2022, 08:52 PM
Bought two x 100a/hr Itech lithium batteries for the truck to replace the 3 x 130a/hr AGM's. saved 100kg of weight. Bit of a waste in some regards as the AGM's are only 12 months old and fully functional, but the price of diesel at the moment, should have the cost recovers in a short period. I went for the 100a/hr units after contacting Itech. I want to have the capacity to use my 24v mig welder and the 100a/hr units can withstand 175amps of drawdown, which is ample for the welder. I liked that they could be configured as 4 x parallel and 4 x serial, so this works well for my coffee machine and the welder.

MB
28th June 2022, 06:34 AM
A little tip learnt the hard way again, don’t follow the final rebuild steps listed and pictured in the Haynes GQ manual:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/98.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/99.jpg

Found it to be impossible I believe to safely push the piston through the dust boot as their final step describes without it getting caught against the bore seal and tearing [emoji2959]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/100.jpg

This trick below worked a treat and should be updated I hope by Mr Haynes:

1) Slide the dust boot onto the piston first and lock its outer seal into position on the outer piston groove:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/101.jpg

2) Using the groove to hold the dust boot from sliding, stretch out the boot as long as possible and secure with fingers and thumb:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/102.jpg

3) Carefully slide the stretched dust boot forward out of its outer groove and off the end of the piston whilst securing it stretched as much as possible ready for installation:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/103.jpg

4) Commence installing the dust boot firstly and once it’s outer bore dust seal is seated carefully push the piston on through its bore fluid seal:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/104.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/105.jpg

Additional helpful tools, this plastic Toledo trim kit remover was great for cleaning hard to reach seal grooves and also invaluable assisting in the final dust boot and piston installation above:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/106.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/107.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/108.jpg

mudski
28th June 2022, 08:18 AM
I remember rebuilding the calipers on mine when i did the TB48 brake swap and I had a hell of a time getting those boots in too.

PeeBee
28th June 2022, 11:02 AM
What a nightmare this has developed into.

MB
28th June 2022, 07:24 PM
MB IDIOT Debacle fixed earlier today and appears braking better than ever known before with your old GQ EFI twin pot front calipers Philstar Mate[emoji120][emoji120]

Thanks Rossco Legend too for assisting with pedal pumping the last of the hopeful bubbles out of its dead dry system [emoji120][emoji120]

95% packed and ready, just need to shut its side gates:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/109.jpg

Put some IDIOT Proof measures in place so this never happens AGAIN [emoji51][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/110.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/111.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/112.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/113.jpg

Rossco
28th June 2022, 09:20 PM
Hopefully lesson learnt for all what a PITA but at least she's all new now in the brake department, yep the twin pots and braided lines made a big difference in the the old GQ. . . Good to see old goldie back up & running here's to some good recon / research [emoji106][emoji106] . . .

Plasnart
28th June 2022, 09:21 PM
Have a great trip MB

Bloody well done on the brake reco.

mudski
29th June 2022, 09:22 PM
Nice one Mark. Where you off too?

Rossco
30th June 2022, 10:41 AM
Big desert. .[emoji106]

mudski
30th June 2022, 01:04 PM
Big desert. .[emoji106]

Nice. Thats on my bucket list when I manage to scrounge up enough time off work.

Rossco
30th June 2022, 02:09 PM
Nice. Thats on my bucket list when I manage to scrounge up enough time off work.Yeah love the big desert, good driving, good camping and nice and quiet but don't tell anyone lol [emoji6] . . .

MB
1st July 2022, 10:06 PM
Had to cut our Desert Adventure short unfortunately, just pulled up safely at home. Control rings have finally given up, cannot complain, was a truly awesome 3 days / 2 nights covering some good miles with the Littlen and I knew this day for the 27 year old TD42 was coming [emoji120][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/1.jpg

https://youtu.be/ZxJH8xannLg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/2.jpg

MB
1st July 2022, 10:19 PM
Day 1 - Murray Sunset National Park from the Yarra Valley…….We found the start of the old Dingo Fence finally:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/3.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/4.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/5.jpg

Ventured West then South down the Upper Border Track to camp at Border Camping Area, great spot, highly recommended:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/6.jpg

MB
1st July 2022, 10:34 PM
Day 2 - Completed the Upper Border Track, sort of, we got a little lost and didn’t want to pass through Private Farmlands so made a SA highway dash down to Pinaroo for diesel top up before spending the afternoon on the Fun part of Border Track:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/7.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/8.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/9.jpg

Camped at a ripper spot this night, Red Bluff, scored some free firewood awaiting on arrival too:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/10.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/11.jpg

MB
1st July 2022, 10:46 PM
Day 3 - Uncovered the excessive blowby on the poor old motor so we made an Easterly dash across the base of Big Desert, was very picturesque and a shame we couldn’t head back up into the Mallee for another night/day:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/12.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/13.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/14.jpg

A decent camp found down at Broken Bucket, plenty of space for larger convoys:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/15.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/16.jpg

Plasnart
1st July 2022, 11:34 PM
Border track and red bluff - how good! Some amazing views out there that pics can't do justice. Nice one mate, shame you had to cut it short.

MB
1st July 2022, 11:53 PM
Definitely got the Desert bug back in the system again Plassy Mate [emoji120][emoji736] Unfortunately didn’t take too many piccies but it’s honestly about the Open Spaces ‘Vibe’ agreed that they never capture anyway.
Red Bluff Camp is Fantastic, if you late afternoon nod off around your campfire and startle you’d swear you’re in the Red Northern Territory except your back is freezing instead of sweating [emoji29][emoji23]

MudRunnerTD
2nd July 2022, 09:16 PM
Definitely got the Desert bug back in the system again Plassy Mate [emoji120][emoji736] Unfortunately didn’t take too many piccies but it’s honestly about the Open Spaces ‘Vibe’ agreed that they never capture anyway.
Red Bluff Camp is Fantastic, if you late afternoon nod off around your campfire and startle you’d swear you’re in the Red Northern Territory except your back is freezing instead of sweating [emoji29][emoji23]

Looks like a great trip mate. Do a Trip thread for this one mate, would be good to revisit this in the future.

MudRunnerTD
2nd July 2022, 10:54 PM
Bought two x 100a/hr Itech lithium batteries for the truck to replace the 3 x 130a/hr AGM's. saved 100kg of weight. Bit of a waste in some regards as the AGM's are only 12 months old and fully functional, but the price of diesel at the moment, should have the cost recovers in a short period. I went for the 100a/hr units after contacting Itech. I want to have the capacity to use my 24v mig welder and the 100a/hr units can withstand 175amps of drawdown, which is ample for the welder. I liked that they could be configured as 4 x parallel and 4 x serial, so this works well for my coffee machine and the welder.

Nice one Phil, I didn't know you had the 24v MIG. We had one when we did the Madigan and had to use ot to fix q Hilux in No Man's Land. No chance we'd have got it home without it. Great bit of kit. I keep my eye out hoping to stumble on one for sale one day.

PeeBee
3rd July 2022, 10:40 AM
Nice one Phil, I didn't know you had the 24v MIG. We had one when we did the Madigan and had to use ot to fix q Hilux in No Man's Land. No chance we'd have got it home without it. Great bit of kit. I keep my eye out hoping to stumble on one for sale one day.

Yeas, bought in 1990, only played around with it in the back yard, one of those 'what a great idea' purchases. I tried one of the Uniwelder setups as well, the modified 12V alternator that was rated at 200amp and 240v output - nup, didn't cut it. the unit had to run at circa 8000rpm alternator speed and the Patrol pulley system, when I had the 2.8TD, simply could not accommodate the additional pulley, let alone the 2 or 3 pulley drive it really needed. I shredded belts and generated a lot of noise and smoke, but only a flyspeck of a spark at the rod. I suspect it really needed to go on a stand alone genet in all honesty. It went in the bin from memory.

The lithium's are rated at 175amp for 5 mins and 250amp max instant, which is below the 150amp required for the easywelder. The guys at ITECH were great, they assessed the style and options and I settled on this package, with a Battery monitoring gauge as well. So 200a/hr lithium, equal to my 390a/hr AGM setup at 1/5 the weight, and can handle the welder as well. Will eat the coffee machine as well!!

Hodge
3rd July 2022, 11:30 AM
I recently fitted a Polaris head unit with a 10" stand-out touch screen. It's basically a frankensteined Android Tablet -come- car stereo.

Pros - Puts a very nice clear 10" screen in a much better angled viewing and accessible position from a drivers point of view instead of the standard GU unit position (too low). Comes with Ozi Explorer and included Hema maps (which i don't use). Really good with your basic car apps like Google maps, Radio, Music , video etc...
Has Android auto in-built and whatever the Apples version of it is. Can use cabled or wireless. Again, I don't use any of them.
Through Patrolapart and adapters provided it was literally plug and go...

Cons - Unit uses a piss weak CPU and memory so more demanding apps you throw at it struggle. For example I use Hema 4x4 explorer and Newtracs they work but slow as s#it. I guess it matches the TD under the hood :)
Also the WiFi and bluetooth on it are s#ithouse. Very finnicky with connections etc. But once you get it going it works ok...

Being nerdy I hacked the s#it out of the Android and hema explorer and can use some rooftop maps I scanned but quality is woeful. I now see hema offers quality rooftop as part of the explorer app at a $100 annual sub. They can jam that.

I guess the best and only stand-out feature of this unit is the screen and its position. Everything else can be had for a portion of it's price that will blow it out of the water. Especially the performance.

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2022, 02:18 PM
Nice one Eric, can you show us behind it how it is mounted I the car please?

Also, I have Android Auto in thr work Hilux and I have got to say it is Bloody Awesome. You should definitely have a play with it mate.

If the CPU is slow it may be better to be using rhw Apps on your phone via Android Auto as then they are on your big screen but using the CPU on your phone to operate I think? Give it a crsck mate..

I rate Android Auto and Waze App for metro Navigation

Hodge
3rd July 2022, 03:41 PM
Nice one Eric, can you show us behind it how it is mounted I the car please?

Also, I have Android Auto in thr work Hilux and I have got to say it is Bloody Awesome. You should definitely have a play with it mate.

If the CPU is slow it may be better to be using rhw Apps on your phone via Android Auto as then they are on your big screen but using the CPU on your phone to operate I think? Give it a crsck mate..

I rate Android Auto and Waze App for metro Navigation

It's just a normal double din head unit. Mounted and wired the same way any ordinary head unit is. The front face has a ball-joint kind of attachment that the screen attaches to and swivels around to an extent and can also be raised up and down. Thats it. Front face also has USB input. Physical volume and track knob. There is also USB input cables attached and hidden at the rear you can plug things into like Hard drives, wired Android Auto etc... I have mine popping up into the glove box.

As for the Android Auto. Ive tried it and it works really well especially wired.
However AA enabled apps are very limited. The phone essentially becomes the brain and the CPU handler and takes the workload off the head unit. Meaning the screen in the car just becomes a extension of the phones screen in a way.
And the by-product of this is the phone works hard and gets hot. This means it pulls a lot of juice. And I found the wired hook up cannot handle the phone charge process at the same time (tried a few different phones with same effect).
I'll mess around with it a bit more. I think Android auto evolves and more and more apps are supported all the time.

Winnie
3rd July 2022, 05:00 PM
My Mrs new Isuzu car has android auto and when the phone is plugged in it doesn't get hot and the phone charges just fine.
The output charge on that unit must be pretty low.

Rossco
3rd July 2022, 06:37 PM
My Mrs new Isuzu car has android auto and when the phone is plugged in it doesn't get hot and the phone charges just fine.

Sent from my SM-G986B using TapatalkYeah same with mine charges real quick (Pioneer head unit). . Dont use AA all the time most the time just the radio but when use it bloody love it . .

MB
3rd July 2022, 08:13 PM
FWIW Legends [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]
Do love my new age little 8” Samsungy tablet maps, truly need to get off my arse and pivot mount them off a GQ McJebus passenger bar similar to Hodgey Legend Mate for true solo drive ability.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/23.jpg

Lazily gives the Littlen currently something to do at the moment holding/navigating/involved guiding next turns out there instead of drifting back off into iPhoney game time sneakily downloaded prior to departure [emoji23]

Again, other posts I keep professing, please do all keep basic paper maps handy as Elecy Tabs can and have let me personally down before [emoji35][emoji736]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/24.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/25.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/26.jpg

MB
3rd July 2022, 08:28 PM
FWIW - 2: Is Anybody out there still in contact with Timbo ? Bloke was gifted our entire Old Family pre-Rooftop Paper Vic HC map kit when I temporarily gave up deep mountain trekking for some 10 odd years. Were amazing historical maps, still navigational valid [emoji848] Old Zeka Ck Tk and the likes [emoji26][emoji106][emoji106]

Hodge
3rd July 2022, 09:33 PM
Mr MB best tips as always.
Never venture without paper maps. Always travel in the Patrol next to the first aid, grab bag and PLB.
I'm slowly rebuilding my hard copy maps after leaving / forgetting a incredible collection I had in a high country hut few years ago ... Some one out there scored big time.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/29.jpg

Hodge
3rd July 2022, 09:41 PM

Sent from my SM-G986B using TapatalkProbably a quality unit you have . As above, this machine seems to be a el cheapo double din with a break out screen grafted into it.
Hence everything is finicky and gimmicky.

MB
3rd July 2022, 09:45 PM
Devastating HodgeStar [emoji26][emoji120][emoji120]
Good Old Maps with history marked atop are like heirloom’s, hope your Hut finders can honourablely see here and return too Brother [emoji3590][emoji3590]

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2022, 10:33 PM
Interesting about the AA getting hot. In the Hilux it's all I use and works great. In the GU I didn't use AA but had to run a specific charging point for the Ipad as using it for Mapping it would slowly go flat using more than I was giving it.

MB check out my mount in the GQ next trip mate. I have a RAM mount screwed to the metal face between the glove box and the centre area. Works great there.

Cremulator
6th July 2022, 10:36 AM
I bought a cheap 35w HID kit and retrofitted it to my factory IPF spotlights for a little more brightness and a whiter light.
It all fit pretty easily, I just had to drill an extra hole in the back of the spotlights for the wiring grommet and mount the ballasts to the back of the bull bar.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/43.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/44.jpg

BrazilianY60
6th July 2022, 06:57 PM
Yeah same with mine charges real quick (Pioneer head unit).

Bingo!
These Chinese Android HU are full of features you don´t use to make them look cool, but in fact, HW is poor, protocol compatibility (BT, USB tethering) is poor. I have one myself in my 105 and I regret it. I am going to change it to one mainstream brand like Pioneer/Alpine when the funds allow it.

BrazilianY60
6th July 2022, 06:59 PM
My Mrs new Isuzu car has android auto

That's an OEM unit, those are usually quality ones from manufactures like Clarion and the likes. It is probably not Android, but is Android Auto compatible. My Mrs has a Nissan Kicks and the HU works like a charm and makes me wanna throw my Android based Chinese unit on the trash.

BrazilianY60
6th July 2022, 07:01 PM
instead of drifting back off into iPhoney game time sneakily downloaded prior to departure [emoji23]

LOL, don't they always do it?

MB
6th July 2022, 11:54 PM
Agreed Brother BZ Mate [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
A contradiction in terms even posting back here, at least we’re achieving Enlightenment for the future of Global GQ Exploration [emoji123][emoji123][emoji23]

Dasa
8th July 2022, 07:23 PM
I bought a cheap 35w HID kit and retrofitted it to my factory IPF spotlights for a little more brightness and a whiter light.

When I did this using cheap 55w 4300K HID in IPF driving lights they were a bit too tightly focused leading to blinding reflections from signs.
Putting a washer around the globe so it didn't go in so far widened the beam and now there just right.
The ballast were behind the grill where the intercooler piping is about to go through so moving them to the bull bar sounds like a good idea.

MB
8th July 2022, 11:36 PM
Stripped Old Golden Grandpa’s Ticker down ready for removal tomorrow and TLC assessment plans thereafter:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/63.jpg

Borrowed these 3/8 & 1/2” drive new age twin contraptions from work. Highly recommend saving up for them Folks, huge time savers and my wanky injured wrists are feeling great and still ready for another session [emoji123][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/64.jpg

BrazilianY60
9th July 2022, 12:13 PM
If you have compressed air at the shed, you can buy the pneumatic version of that, which is usually cheaper then the cordless one.

MB
9th July 2022, 06:01 PM
With a little help Thanks to Rossco & PeeBee we yoinked the old greasy blacktop out:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/66.jpg

Mounted up ready for inspections to begin, a quick torch untrained eye sneak peak appears the liners/sleeves are ok hoping [emoji1696][emoji120]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/67.jpg

DX grunt
9th July 2022, 08:22 PM
Drove it from home to the tip and back, at 229cpl.

MB
10th July 2022, 10:13 AM
Crapped the bed in the wee hours of this morning so decided to keep investigations going on the old donk:

Heads now off, followed the Service Manual strictly this time and numbering bolts as I went.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/68.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/69.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/70.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/71.jpg

Aint looking too pretty, certainly one piston has had some cooking:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/72.jpg

I’m a bit suss on the head now too:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/73.jpg

Decisions now made, it’s beyond my agricultural dodgey skills so off to find a shop for a complete rebuild for another 27 years service hopefully [emoji1696]

Hot tip though, $20 cupboards off Gumtree with castor wheels are great storage boxes keeping bits and bobs safe and in order:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/74.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/75.jpg

PeeBee
10th July 2022, 11:24 AM
@MB, all the pots look like they have that boomerang flare mark like a stain - is that water or typical? Goes from cylinder to bolt hole x 6 - very interesting.

MB
10th July 2022, 12:12 PM
I’d ass-ume it’s typical Philstar but don’t nuffy know for sure, the pre-combustion chamber is directly above the boomerang 🪃 marks if you look at the head underside pictures.

EDIT: Back from an Aldi tucker run now, see pictures below of gasket boomerang 🪃 marks too and head pre combustion area Philstar.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/76.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/77.jpg

Rossco
10th July 2022, 01:34 PM
Nice one how do the bores look ?? . . Semi-educated nuffy here ( probably the worst kind lol) . . Pretty sure this pre comps boomerangs look normal, bit of carbon on head but expected with high comp. . Who knows the history of that head could have been anything on the shelf chucked on to get her going works have been interesting to see comp before head done. . Hard to tell from pics but this looks pretty sus and the aluminium looking buildup below like piston has stated melting [emoji848]. .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/78.jpg

Wise choice taking it in to expert I reckon, may as well do it properly old gramps deserves it[emoji106][emoji106]

MB
10th July 2022, 01:44 PM
That’s the one I pictured earlier Rossco, definitely melted for sure and was the decision maker. 4 out of 6 bores appear ok to nuffy me with cross hatch hones still visible. Numbers 1 and 2 definitely have vertical scratches on the liners.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/79.jpg

Rossco
10th July 2022, 02:03 PM
Bloody rough on the gear, what else can you say. . . [emoji1787]

jay see
11th July 2022, 09:52 PM
Parked it up..[emoji22]

Costing me $250-$300 a week in fuel.
By the latest early next year will will be back on the road on permit plates.

Stropp
14th July 2022, 01:04 AM
Replaced the bottom seal on the swing away wheel carrier that was damaged on fitment, easy 10 min job

Stropp
14th July 2022, 04:33 PM
Well the patrol made the Volvo a custom written off Volvo 😳

MB
14th July 2022, 05:00 PM
Crikey, looks very greasy on that road, Everybody OK Stroppstar [emoji120][emoji120]

mudnut
14th July 2022, 05:32 PM
Bugger!!...

Stropp
14th July 2022, 06:04 PM
Crikey, looks very greasy on that road, Everybody OK Stroppstar [emoji120][emoji120]

Yes mate very low impact maybe 5/10kph and the patrol aquaplaned on the greasy rd, no damage to anyone

MB
14th July 2022, 06:29 PM
Great News [emoji3590][emoji120]
Suspecting then (signage pictured) , only because I’ve nearly done it myself not too long ago with a Super Safe European “car” driver in front of the Acco 8x4 they may have similarly late notice overreacted jamming on their anchors without checking how many tonnes were driving to conditions behind them [emoji51]

Hodge
15th July 2022, 07:33 AM
Yes mate very low impact maybe 5/10kph and the patrol aquaplaned on the greasy rd, no damage to anyoneGreat to read all was well Stropp.

Hodge
15th July 2022, 08:07 AM
Great News [emoji3590][emoji120]
Suspecting then (signage pictured) , only because I’ve nearly done it myself not too long ago with a Super Safe European “car” driver in front of the Acco 8x4 they may have similarly late notice overreacted jamming on their anchors without checking how many tonnes were driving to conditions behind them [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTheir mirrors should have the "30 ton MASS stops later then they appear " sticker on them ...

If company code of conduct didn't forbid me from showing cool stuff on the interwebz (I love my job), I'd show you "super safe" "not sure which house I'm picking up from" Uber hybrid Camry driver, wearing a Peru crane up the rear with a few 2t conc poles loaded.
With very colourful language from my driver's point of view added as a bonus ...
70k road isn't a great idea to suddenly stop and check if you're at the right pickup location , as he has learnt.
When your turban goes flying , you know , you should've checked your mirrors .....

MB
24th July 2022, 07:49 PM
“You’re Farkin Joking Crunt” is what I imagine sound/footage to be Hodge Brother [emoji23][emoji23]

Cuppa
26th August 2022, 09:04 PM
A lot more than I intended to!

Went into Lockhart River for our weekly shopping this morning & on arrival back at the Research Station found coolant p*ssing out of the bottom of the car. Finding the leak took ages but eventually tracked it down to a short hose underneath the intercooler. Plenty bright green all over the front underside of the motor, starter motor & front of prop shaft, but very hard to find. A very light telltale trace of the green stuff showed on the underside of the affected hose - a visitor's UV torch made it easier to see (he carries it to aid finding scorpions). After removing it - a mission in itself - I found several small teeth marks, too small for a White tailed rat, so probably a Melomys. Didn't look like the hose had been pierced but soapy water & blowing into it it with the other end blocked made bubbles. Managed to 'Macgyver' a replacement for the offset S shaped hose from bits & pieces we carry - hose & joiners. As well as leaving the bonnet up, I have now added a 240v light in the engine bay which will remain on all night in the hope of dissuading the little buggers. Hard to believe I used to enjoy doing this sort of stuff, but my body is finding it increasingly difficult. Gonna hurt tomorrow morning! Still have to test drive it - just hoping it was the only leak. Have run the car up to temp, ticking over & think it's sorted. Fingers crossed.

MB
27th August 2022, 06:49 PM
Little Buggers Cuppa Mate [emoji22]See if you can track down some FNQ Python [emoji216] Poo [emoji90]. Apparently if you hide it around your home or under your bonnet I imagine too, Rodents won’t come within a Cooee whiff [emoji1696] We got smashed in the Hills down here over winter by Rats, they took out Rossco’s GQ heater hoses and gnawed through my GQ brake master cap. Searching for some Vic-Pet Python Nuggets myself at the moment[emoji1696]

MB
27th August 2022, 09:42 PM
All sorted, jars of turds enroute to the Hills [emoji736][emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

Cuppa
28th August 2022, 08:09 PM
Little Buggers Cuppa Mate [emoji22]See if you can track down some FNQ Python [emoji216] Poo [emoji90]. Apparently if you hide it around your home or under your bonnet I imagine too, Rodents won’t come within a Cooee whiff [emoji1696] We got smashed in the Hills down here over winter by Rats, they took out Rossco’s GQ heater hoses and gnawed through my GQ brake master cap. Searching for some Vic-Pet Python Nuggets myself at the moment[emoji1696]

We should've hung on to this fella for a bit longer when he visited a couple of weeks ago!

MB
29th August 2022, 08:23 PM
He’s Beautiful Cuppa Tea’s Legends [emoji3590][emoji106][emoji106]
Any chance He left some shedding behind, best turbo heat wrap for rodent dissipation I heard [emoji23]

mudnut
22nd September 2022, 07:11 PM
Nipped up the front wheel bearings and fitted Hub Saver Rings from Patrolapart. The rings are quite a lot beefier than I thought they were going to be.

MB
23rd September 2022, 07:28 PM
Careful not to over torque them Craigstar, they are soft. [emoji120][emoji120]
Please don’t ask ‘exacts’ tonight but its about load carefully spreading across nip/nip/nip/nip… need my shed circa 25nm bookies but have a shocking memory [emoji22]

MB
23rd September 2022, 09:49 PM
‘Hub-Savers’ meant Brother, super soft, please be careful and spread their intended load evenly [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

mudnut
23rd September 2022, 11:44 PM
‘Hub-Savers’ meant Brother, super soft, please be careful and spread their intended load evenly [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

Bugger. Torqued them to factory spec. Will inspect them tomorrow to see if they are toast. But I did tighten each bolt in a cross pattern, so should be ok.

Hodge
30th September 2022, 11:58 AM
Fresh engine oil and filters all 'round this morning. Weather is glorious...
Completely lost track of time, would you look at that ...

PeeBee
1st October 2022, 04:50 PM
Cut 8mm off the ends of both brand new RCV cv and axles just purchased because they are supplied too long from the factory. Circlip groove has already been recut to suit the right location as well, Pretty disappointing to be honest. RCV knows about the issue but stil supplies them incorrectly, like WTF is the point, laziness.86014

mudski
20th December 2022, 08:49 PM
Preping the Patrol for Cape Jaffa. Once a year oil change, even though it hasn’t done 5k in a year, lol. And decided to spray the underbody with this just for some added protection against the salt water.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221220/bd69b51e12230a0b8d2ef5b4555c0786.jpg

Deodorised my ass! This shite stinks! I might have to do the rest on the day we leave. My garage really pongs!

BrazilianY60
3rd January 2023, 02:09 PM
Put new engine in! A 4h work after work!

rusty_nail
3rd January 2023, 06:35 PM
Preping the Patrol for Cape Jaffa. Once a year oil change, even though it hasn’t done 5k in a year, lol. And decided to spray the underbody with this just for some added protection against the salt water.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/12/30.jpg

Deodorised my ass! This shite stinks! I might have to do the rest on the day we leave. My garage really pongs!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMate, you were on the money and I wish I saw this! I'd say this is what sandblasting looks like after around 500ks of sand driving. Gave it a good squirt underneath tonight and then I be resealing and oiling before the weekend. I'd be interested to know how the y62, ranger and others fared that did the mouth.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

mudski
3rd January 2023, 10:46 PM
Mate, you were on the money and I wish I saw this! I'd say this is what sandblasting looks like after around 500ks of sand driving. Gave it a good squirt underneath tonight and then I be resealing and oiling before the weekend. I'd be interested to know how the y62, ranger and others fared that did the mouth.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

It won’t stop the sandblasting but it great for corrosion resistance like inside the chassis rails etc. The underside of my Patrol is sandblasted pretty bad. It’s gonna get a good pressure pack respray I think.

AB
4th January 2023, 08:43 AM
It won’t stop the sandblasting but it great for corrosion resistance like inside the chassis rails etc. The underside of my Patrol is sandblasted pretty bad. It’s gonna get a good pressure pack respray I think.

Took me hours cleaning the Gq yesterday and the amount of sand that comes out is scary.

After flushing all the chassis I left those fountain sprinklers on underneath for about an hour too.

reeves.milner
15th January 2023, 07:08 AM
Revered the polarity when putting the new battery in, here we go kids

BrazilianY60
25th January 2023, 08:10 PM
Greased U-joints and driveshaft sleeve on both driveshafts of the GU. Man, what a difference it makes! The sleeves were literally dry. It reduced the driving noise so much that it's hard to believe nothing else was done to the car.

pollenface
26th January 2023, 09:24 PM
Finally got around to replacing my front rotors & pads, my brakes actually work now :)

jack
19th February 2023, 10:35 PM
Yesterday and today:

Changed Oil and Filters, easy bit.
Also replaced the Serpentine Belt, Radiator Hoses and Coolant, bit more involved. All done with minimal cursing.
Thought it was about time as I've had the belt and hoses since the Cape Trip nearly 10 years ago. All still in good nick so go into the spares box.

Tomorrow a good wash top and bottom, including the chassis and hard to get to bits. Leave it outside and once completly dry I'll give it a good dose of fish oil.
Realised I have 50 litres of used oil in containers so a trip to the transfer station as well, need the containres to fill with the old coolant and flushing water.

MB
14th January 2024, 06:04 PM
Finally commenced the Tesla/Lithium-Cobalt 2 year old (second hand) Battery conversion on a GU Wagoon today…….front drivetrain fully removed and it’s forward rocket [emoji573] tubes appear to be working well [emoji322]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/8.jpg

Scored a solid 18” front levitation/lift once the batteries ignited [emoji736][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/9.jpg

Can’t wait to upgrade the rear/arse end next……I’m going back to the Future [emoji573][emoji573][emoji23][emoji23]

mudski
14th January 2024, 06:20 PM
Finally commenced the Tesla/Lithium-Cobalt 2 year old (second hand) Battery conversion on a GU Wagoon today…….front drivetrain fully removed and it’s forward rocket [emoji573] tubes appear to be working well [emoji322]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/8.jpg

Scored a solid 18” front levitation/lift once the batteries ignited [emoji736][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/9.jpg

Can’t wait to upgrade the rear/arse end next……I’m going back to the Future [emoji573][emoji573][emoji23][emoji23]

Dafuk?[emoji2957]

mudski
14th January 2024, 06:23 PM
I am contemplating retro fitting up the new Donaldson LC200 air box into my GU as the Fatz Fab pod box is shit.
Just means I gotta move the aux battery, which means buying a lithium, which means buying a new DC/DC charger, which means big dollars for the lot!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/10.jpg

BrazilianY60
15th January 2024, 02:31 AM
Is the new box just that shallow or is it just a cover or something?

mudski
15th January 2024, 07:19 AM
Is the new box just that shallow or is it just a cover or something?

That’s the shape of them.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/11.jpg

Not sure if it will fit though.

MB
16th January 2024, 07:37 PM
Honest opinion mudski Brother [emoji120]
I have never looked back after honestly taking nissannewbys advice on these compact rippers [emoji736][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Black-Mamba-Racing-Ultra-High-flow-airbox-4-GU-fits-Nissan-Patrol-inlet-outlet-Black-TD42-Turbo-LS1-LS3

Scored mine back in the day for half the now price linked above but with a cheap V8 high performing ‘paper’ flat easy stored replacement filter A1358 from any cheap store Australia wide.
Suited my then 55rwkw TD42 and now pimped to 155rwkw TD42Ti it’s amazing and worth every penny [emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736]

MB
16th January 2024, 08:07 PM
A bit more clarity (pictures) in honour of NNB-NP.com.au Guru super helpful guidance here back in the day [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji106][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/13.jpg

It still is a bit messy atop but can easily filter pimped up TD42’s to well above my original numbers [emoji123][emoji123]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/14.jpg

Above…. I did personally modify their emergency drain flap/hole with a local plumbing store ‘Philmac’ check valve although it has never been needed utilising under/after windscreen deep Tasmanian pot holes still to this date [emoji736][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/15.jpg

Matt… nissannewby Legend kindly did all the flow rate air numbers needed well before even the Airboxes creation numbers too [emoji120][emoji120]

Crikey, these A1358’s are cheap, available most outback places and so so so easy to pack under your seats or in your cavities [emoji23][emoji23]

10G
16th January 2024, 08:23 PM
looked at the leaking drivers side hub .... again.

BrazilianY60
16th January 2024, 11:24 PM
Crikey, these A1358’s are cheap, available most outback places and so so so easy to pack under your seats or in your cavities [emoji23][emoji23]

Not sure that is a selling point for him, LOL.

MB
16th January 2024, 11:57 PM
Quiet time in Australia BZ Mate , well after Midnight Ya Mad Bastard [emoji123][emoji123][emoji736][emoji736][emoji23]
Send us all Pretty Please [emoji120][emoji120] some [emoji1054] Brazilian Shenanigans [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji23][emoji23]

MB
17th January 2024, 12:40 AM
You’re Lazy, had to McGoogle your country again YOU Lucky Bastard [emoji736][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/20.jpg

https://youtu.be/7lc9bcN7ecQ?si=3WbW6LrfdwQC25Q_

[emoji123][emoji123][emoji3590][emoji3590]

pollenface
17th January 2024, 11:42 PM
flushed my radiator until it was clean

mudski
18th January 2024, 07:06 AM
flushed my radiator until it was clean

Probably something I should do while my Patrol is apart in the garage getting some love.

MB
22nd January 2024, 11:34 PM
Commenced degreasing and a hot pressure scrub a dub dubbing:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/21.jpg

Surface rust conversion completed and primer applied thereafter:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/22.jpg

First coat of black atop:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/01/23.jpg

A few more coats and the front end of our 3.9 ratio tourer for starters is ready for Australian [emoji1037] beach shenanigans [emoji23][emoji736]

BrazilianY60
23rd January 2024, 04:48 AM
GQ UTE or GU wagon?

MB
24th January 2024, 08:43 PM
A NEW/Old GU Wagoon project BZ Brother [emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

BigRAWesty
24th February 2024, 05:53 PM
Well now that I have the draws majority done I'm starting to work out the 12v stuff....
No plan. Just doing it the Westbrook way..
So I have run 5mm cable from main better to rear tripple anderson plug, which I feel may be a bit underdone but I'll keep an eye on it..

Kickass dcdc25A charger with solar input.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/02/78.jpg

I landed on this product as it has a good wrap and price is good.
I also had the victron isolated charger unit in the bascket but it's not compatible with alternator and solar, so would have to run 2 separate units which probably would have been ok but looking to keep this simple..

I did however drop some coin on the victron shunt..
I love the app and the way it tracks.

So for now untill I sort the switches, this is how it will be. I can easily slide the draws in about out still with it all mounted which is key..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/02/79.jpg

For the switches I feel like going fancy with this one... anyone used something like this??
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/02/80.jpg

I like that ist the switch bank, and fuse bank all working together. A touch nicer than rocker switches...

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

PeeBee
24th February 2024, 09:07 PM
Bit of an odd one. I have done a body swap and chop on the GQ. The original car was a 1997 model and I have used that interior. The donor was a 1991 body, that was chopped. Today I started the final prep before driving it out of the shed and getting ready for VASS engineering. I tried to get the rear seats to latch onto the floor latches, using the 1997 back seats and the 1997 catches. They required the mounting holes slotted to get the latch to land in the middle of the seat catch. All looking good except the seat catch wont receive the latch on the floor. I stuffed around for 6 hrs with this today, tried all sorts of packing and optimisation, had AB and MB have a look, baffling. I am fabricating a floor stiffener tomorrow morning as a packer to go right across the rear floor and pick up the two floor catches i case the floor is flexing.
Has anyone come across this before? the 1991 floor catch is way too short to operat87709e and too low in height to pick up the seat catch. Couple of pics for clarity. I need a solution or the car wont pass the inspection.

Plasnart
24th February 2024, 09:15 PM
Fck cars pb. When you think you’ve been through all they can dish out, they find another way to fck with your mental well-being. Honestly to come down to this mate you are in my thoughts.

PeeBee
24th February 2024, 09:20 PM
Fck cars pb. When you think you’ve been through all they can dish out, they find another way to fck with your mental well-being. Honestly to come down to this mate you are in my thoughts.

Thanks Plassy, its fighting me right to the end. Spending 6 hours solid trying to think and react without a positive outcome, its exhausting, far worse that doing the physical. The journey has had its moments that is for sure. the end product will be good, but there are still hurdles to get over. Its been 2 yrs on this, far too long and more than enough patience expended by MB to let this continue.

BillsGU
25th February 2024, 08:15 AM
Can you get an inspection camera under there to see where it doesn't connect?

PeeBee
25th February 2024, 07:37 PM
ok, would you believe there are 3 versions of the same catch? Yes, well there is and I have one pair of each. I found the third set this morning after stewing over the impossibility of the catch not fitting in the set clasp. I swapped the third set out and the seats went 'click, done. Happy days.87764
The third set is made from a smaller diameter rod, so it allowed the catch to close.

PeeBee
25th February 2024, 07:42 PM
Righto, another workfront. I had issues fitting the ARB BP51 stone guards. Turned out after ringing ARB, I was missing some small split wedges, however I was not convinced these would work, as others who have the same shocks say they vibrate off, so I modified some motorbike corrigated gaitors and on all 4 shocker rods and they came up well, very happy. ARB were very responsive and sent me express post the parts without issue.877658776687767

Rossco
25th February 2024, 08:34 PM
Bloody lovely yeah who would have thought but glad she's good. . [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S711B using Tapatalk

Winnie
26th February 2024, 08:17 PM
So reading that correctly, you had the seats out of one car, and the body of another. You had the latches out of both of those cars however neither worked and you required the latch out of the car you own neither the body, nor the seats for?

PeeBee
26th February 2024, 09:54 PM
So reading that correctly, you had the seats out of one car, and the body of another. You had the latches out of both of those cars however neither worked and you required the latch out of the car you own neither the body, nor the seats for?

You are correect, what are the chances? I can only assumed I f**cked it all up, per usual, and simply selected the wrong set from the multitude of buckets in the shed. The other brackets, including the ones I thought were my originals must have come from the donor. The shorter ones could only have come from the donor as they were rusty and manky, but from where in the car, dont know. Right now I dont care, the other brackets are already in the bin, never to be mixed up again.

MB
26th February 2024, 10:05 PM
OCD, has been frowned upon in my nuffy slow moving end game world, bag & slowly tag Legends [emoji2531] [emoji120][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
26th February 2024, 10:09 PM
OCD, has been frowned upon in my nuffy slow moving end game world, bag & slowly tag Legends [emoji2531] [emoji120][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

Always someone in the crowd that does it right!!! Yes you warned, yes it stung hard. I also spent 4 hrs trying to find the PTO cover boot, search the world for a replacement, only discovered recently it was already installed and I had forgotten it points into the trans tunnel, not above it, unsure if a tagged bag would have helped, maybe someone with a clear mind instrad of trying to handle 20 things at once. Few lessons from this build, probably none will be learned from though.

MB
26th February 2024, 10:14 PM
She’s an Absolute Beast Philstar, almost there and something to be truly PROUD of LEGEND [emoji123][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
26th February 2024, 10:26 PM
She’s an Absolute Beast Philstar, almost there and something to be truly PROUD of LEGEND [emoji123][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

Already booked in for another lobotomy as there is no chance I am getting talked into doing this again, might even get the ears sewn up as well after they plug 'em with peanut butter!

BrazilianY60
28th February 2024, 04:53 AM
PB, to you have a build thread of this chopped GQ?

PeeBee
28th February 2024, 09:26 AM
PB, to you have a build thread of this chopped GQ?

I am going to start one. The build has probably been the worst kept secret on the forum in all honesty, but the initial events and ramifications of the event that triggered the rebuild have remained pretty raw for a while, plus I didn't want to get bogged down documenting and reporting whilst building and working. I am about to move the vehicle out of the shed today to 'set it free' and then take it home, once I clear the garage out of all the stuff I have backfilled. The build is conversion of the GQ wagon into a dual cab, with a 1500mm tray , multitude of performance upgrades, which in all honesty are overkill but I had the money so did them.

BrazilianY60
28th February 2024, 09:50 AM
Awesome!
I don't know if you have built the tray already but if you haven't, the neatest one I saw on the internet to date is one a young bloke from Aussie Arvos youtube channel has built.

PeeBee
28th February 2024, 04:25 PM
I am not buying one more thing for my Patrol - hahaha, what a load of crap!

AB
29th February 2024, 07:39 AM
I am not buying one more thing for my Patrol - hahaha, what a load of crap!

Your phone makes this sound every 7 minutes…lol

https://youtu.be/lEDg7Lqq3u8?feature=shared

PeeBee
29th February 2024, 09:06 AM
Your phone makes this sound every 7 minutes…lol

https://youtu.be/lEDg7Lqq3u8?feature=shared

Yep Jenny is already onto it! Get the greasy look everytime it dingles!

BigRAWesty
9th March 2024, 07:07 PM
Testing out stove in drawers v1 in anticipation of the simmo trip..
So far so good..https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/13.jpg

MB
12th March 2024, 06:07 PM
Loving Your Work Westy Brother [emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]
As much as ‘Drawers’ shatter Patrol/LandCrab weight GVM’s crossing the likes of Straya, your right hand system is Truly Practical/Easy Peasey [emoji736][emoji3590][emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
13th March 2024, 06:45 PM
Took the barge down to @MB's recommended muffler guy in Lilydale, excellent outcome, fixed up the problem i had generated in under an hour, pragamatic service, Lilydale Towbars and Mufflers - highly recommended. He runs on a schedule of 1.5hr booking windows, so you know when the job is going to be completed.

AB
13th March 2024, 07:18 PM
Took the barge down to @MB's recommended muffler guy in Lilydale, excellent outcome, fixed up the problem i had generated in under an hour, pragamatic service, Lilydale Towbars and Mufflers - highly recommended. He runs on a schedule of 1.5hr booking windows, so you know when the job is going to be completed.

He has done heaps for me, old school guy, very affordable and knowledgeable.

He made up some tricky turbo pipes a while ago and nailed it!

PeeBee
13th March 2024, 08:33 PM
He has done heaps for me, old school guy, very affordable and knowledgeable.

He made up some tricky turbo pipes a while ago and nailed it!

Its funny, I was sitting in the waiting room whilst they worked their magic and the clientele were all old bastards like me - just so obvious, looking for a straight solution without fanfare. he delivers without fanfare.

MB
14th March 2024, 10:37 PM
Wide Tread Tyres - Lilydale….next door too have got me outa the shiat also Philstar, seem to be the only mob that can source obscure twactor tubes during Union/Christmas type keeping shows rolling McHolidays [emoji736][emoji736][emoji23]

MB
27th March 2024, 11:12 PM
Temporarily uninstalled ‘Good Old Golden Grandpa’s’ new Turbo, boxed up & express posted back to Honest Legend’s awaiting their Top-Tech-Team’s diagnosis [emoji123][emoji736][emoji120]

What I am most happiest about with bunged up aged wrists is choosing a high mount turbo manifold kit, Fair Dinkum under 30 minutes complete geriatric removal [emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/38.jpg

Disclaimer: Check with your local engineers & state/territory regulations of Tesla Modifications [emoji736][emoji736]

BigRAWesty
29th March 2024, 02:31 PM
Long range tank fitted.
Went the ARB frontier tank with 140L capacity..
An extra 60L.
Funny the calibrated at workshop, and when I picked it up it showed 1008km range.
After the 150km drive home it showed 1063 lol.
It certainly takes advantage of all the space lolhttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/45.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/46.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/47.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/48.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/49.jpg

PeeBee
29th March 2024, 06:21 PM
Fitted a wide angle reversing light, bought it from Paul at Ledlights.com.au, great quality, and pricing, yet to fit the canopy white/orange lights.
Also fitted the new cruise control today, pretty straight forward for a generic kit, no lemons for a change, will give it a whirl tomorrow.

MB
1st April 2024, 01:45 PM
Made a couple of steps forward on the replacement GQ OEM L/H Unicorn [emoji882] guard kindly gifted by PeeBee Legend [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/1.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/2.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/3.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/4.jpg

Decided to go a different route this time around by retaining the OEM rolled edge and will spot weld it all back together unlike last MB dodgey efforts of slicing and vice grip folding [emoji51][emoji23]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/5.jpg

Might even think about getting off my arse and completing its scrub bars too before joining MudRunnerTD & Rossco down in Tasmania ever again, NUTTERS [emoji2957] [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/6.jpg

PeeBee
1st April 2024, 08:58 PM
Keep me in mind toiger when you get to the front guard rails as I need a set once my sliders are welded up and fitted, but months away I reckon

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2024, 09:05 PM
Made a couple of steps forward on the replacement GQ OEM L/H Unicorn [emoji882] guard kindly gifted by PeeBee Legend [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/1.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/2.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/3.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/4.jpg

Decided to go a different route this time around by retaining the OEM rolled edge and will spot weld it all back together unlike last MB dodgey efforts of slicing and vice grip folding [emoji51][emoji23]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/5.jpg

Might even think about getting off my arse and completing its scrub bars too before joining MudRunnerTD & Rossco down in Tasmania ever again, NUTTERS [emoji2957] [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/6.jpg

Looking good mate. You could have looked in the DIY section under Body and found this helpful thread done by some bloke..

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?33632-DIY-Guard-Chop-for-bigger-tyres

BrazilianY60
2nd April 2024, 10:57 AM
It surprises me that you had a hard time finding a guard. To me it is Patrol's land down under...

Kind if you are wandering in the bushes and suddenly you trip at something "hey look there was a Patrol part here" LOL.

PeeBee
2nd April 2024, 01:22 PM
The guard was in aisle 17 at my spares location - inside his shed! He didn't have to look far, just ask.

AB
2nd April 2024, 04:02 PM
The guard was in aisle 17 at my spares location - inside his shed! He didn't have to look far, just ask.

Walking into MB's shed and seeing Phil like this....

PeeBee
2nd April 2024, 04:22 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have a shed organised with all that NP gear, at your fingertips, instead of my debacle of a storage system that starts at the floor level and reaches the first shelf purely by build-up! And have a willing servant able to find what you are looking for - great idea.

MB
2nd April 2024, 04:59 PM
It surprises me that you had a hard time finding a guard. To me it is Patrol's land down under...

Kind if you are wandering in the bushes and suddenly you trip at something "hey look there was a Patrol part here" LOL.

They’re definitely out there second hand OEM ones BZ Mate, the issue is most have snorkel holes cut in them in the wrong spot for my needs. The new aftermarket ones here I’ve heard are quite flimsy apparently too.
My airbox is slightly more forward mounted too than most others and I can’t be bothered reconfiguring the engine bay, just needed a straight/unbutchered OEM panel [emoji882][emoji23]
Bought the shiny 316 Kiwi Made (NZ) stainless today ready for its new custom slightly longer snorkel to come [emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/119.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/120.jpg

https://www.geordi.com.au/index0.html

Geordi Stainless, here in Victoria, a great tip thanks PeeBee again, Top Blokes to deal with, over the counter sales still exists [emoji322][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

BrazilianY60
2nd April 2024, 09:10 PM
Gotcha. Everybody runs snorkels.

MB
2nd April 2024, 09:30 PM
Not exactly BZ MAD Mate [emoji106][emoji106]Brazilian Shenanigans there no doubt TOO Brother [emoji23][emoji3590][emoji3590] many do think they’re air tight here [emoji51]
Most twucks getting around are unconnected systems, simply designed to gather higher H2O dustless air 🥸

https://youtu.be/Ima3cdylsT8?feature=shared

MB
2nd April 2024, 09:37 PM
https://youtu.be/cr3NhJm2vZI?si=YOei5c62w1nvelrA

BrazilianY60
3rd April 2024, 07:24 AM
This tube work MudRunner did on his GQ rain gutter, integrated with the light bar and roof rack is sick! It has an "exocage" looks.

Rossco
3rd April 2024, 01:24 PM
Love that video what a beast that's why Daz goes first[emoji106][emoji106][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-S711B using Tapatalk

MB
4th April 2024, 08:19 PM
Too many projects running here, picked up a Top Mates custom sliders on the way home today from blasting/coating [emoji23][emoji3590]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/125.jpg

MB
4th April 2024, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure ‘almost’ every 79 series Land Crab V8 driver is and or are sadly/quitely dyslexic [emoji51][emoji3590]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/126.jpg

Heaps of thumbs up [emoji106] acknowledgment driving back to our Hills, albeit in a shitbox D40 work Navara without sticker/decals [emoji23]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/127.jpg

Plasnart
4th April 2024, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure ‘almost’ every 79 series Land Crab V8 driver is and or are sadly/quitely dyslexic [emoji51][emoji3590]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/126.jpg

Heaps of thumbs up [emoji106] acknowledgment driving back to our Hills, albeit in a shitbox D40 work Navara without sticker/decals [emoji23]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/127.jpg

Dyslexic? I had to drive this thing for a while last year and let me tell you, you need more than dyslexia to be affecting your mind to fork out for one of these. It is unfathomable how that decision is made.

Edit: Gotta say though, the engine was bloody gorgeous. That was its only redeeming feature. The rest was complete junk.

MB
4th April 2024, 09:33 PM
Ditto [emoji23][emoji3590]

PeeBee
5th April 2024, 06:24 PM
Fitted the hydraulic hoses for the winches thru the air fed cooler, another fiddly tight as hell job done and dusted. Struggling with the effects of going onto blood thinners and every knock and scrap sees bleeding like a stuck pig, unsure what the neighbours and passers-by are thinking as it doesn't stop me, but end up looking a bit lick Mel Gibson after a bit in braveheart!

BigRAWesty
13th April 2024, 07:05 PM
Nearly done this simple setup. Will be a touring setup and a full time 50ltr weaco fridge.

110ah agm in the fron of the draws.
Kickass 25A dcdc charger with solar input.
Victron shunt.
EBay 8 switch panel to run it all.
I've added bus bars for future expansion but probably overkill lol.
3 cables running to the right are for a remote panel which will house 4 usb ports, 2 cig sockets, solar input anderson plug and a power anderson plug to run a remote power board for in tent charging, or a 240v charger input if needed..
The 8 gang switch panel is a solid bit of kit.
The board is resin filled, 60A capacity.
And Bluetooth app connectivity which works well..https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/145.jpg

BigRAWesty
14th April 2024, 07:31 PM
Switch panel added.
At this stage button 7 and 8 controll each cig socket / usb panel each.
Button 1 is the fridge.
Button 2 is the top anderson.

Button anderson is solar input to kickass charger..

The Bluetooth app works a treat!!
For $200 I'm over the moon with it!!https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/150.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/151.jpg

Cremulator
14th April 2024, 09:52 PM
Switch panel added.
At this stage button 7 and 8 controll each cig socket / usb panel each.
Button 1 is the fridge.
Button 2 is the top anderson.

Button anderson is solar input to kickass charger..

The Bluetooth app works a treat!!
For $200 I'm over the moon with it!!https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/150.jpghttps://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/04/151.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916B using TapatalkLooks great! Nice work [emoji122]

mudski
18th April 2024, 05:30 PM
Well after leaving home at 10pm Tuesday night to get up to SW QLD to get my daughter away from this toxic and abusive environment she’s called home and work for the past six weeks, at 5am, 240k south of Cobar fifth gear let’s go. I limp into Cobar, not one workshop would help. All I want was to drop the oil, and refill with fresh oil. So I did it on the side of the road. Four hours later I’m off again.
Slow driving as 90 was absolute max I can go in 4th.
Get to Bourke to head further north, roads are shut due to flooding. I was told of a back road which will get me to Thargominda, long, dirt road but not flooded. I finally pull in at 9pm, driving pretty much non stop since 10pm the night before.
Get a room, sleep for 12 hours, get up, get in the car, start to move and the sounds from under the Patrol were worrying. I find the only mechanic in town, and this guy was kind enough to drop the oil again and inspect it.
To cut the story down a little, it’s getting a good second hand box in it tomorrow as I still have to go east to Charleville, drop the daughter off, hook up the horse float from there, and take it with another horse down to Goodiwindi, drop both off there and then head home.
So a lotta k’s I still need to cover.

AB
18th April 2024, 05:55 PM
Well after leaving home at 10pm Tuesday night to get up to SW QLD to get my daughter away from this toxic and abusive environment she’s called home and work for the past six weeks, at 5am, 240k south of Cobar fifth gear let’s go. I limp into Cobar, not one workshop would help. All I want was to drop the oil, and refill with fresh oil. So I did it on the side of the road. Four hours later I’m off again.
Get to Bourke to head further north, roads are shut due to flooding. I was told of a back road which will get me to Thargominda, long, dirt road but not flooded. I finally pull in at 9pm, driving pretty much non stop since 10pm the night before.
Get a room, sleep for 12 hours, get up, get in the car, start to move and the sounds from under the Patrol were worrying. I find the only mechanic in town, and this guy was kind enough to drop the oil again and inspect it.
To cut the story down a little, it’s getting a good second hand box in it tomorrow as I still have to go east to Charleville, drop the daughter off, hook up the horse float from there, and take it with another horse down to Goodiwindi, drop both off there and then head home.

Bloody hell Mudski, I hope your daughter’s ok!!!

My boys going through bullying at school at the moment and it makes your blood boil that’s for sure!!!

BrazilianY60
18th April 2024, 09:22 PM
Good luck Mudski. I hope you get to your daughter quick and safe. Once she is with you mate, take it slow. The "rescue" trip is urgent, but the return home is not. Steam off, take it slow, enjoy each other's company for the way back.

BrazilianY60
18th April 2024, 09:39 PM
My boys going through bullying at school at the moment and it makes your blood boil that’s for sure!!!

How old are your boys mate? I totally know the feeling and I don't like relying on others to solve my problems (aka asking the school principal to talk to the other family), so don't take this as advice, just venting off here... I once taught my daughter how to break a nose, how to throw a punch to the throat and some other dirty moves and told her to 100% destroy the bully boy with no regrets, that any problem with family or school would be mine to solve, nor hers. It turned out that just giving her that confidence put the thing into a different perspective for the other party without her needing to use the "new skills". But man, did it boiled my blood...

BigRAWesty
18th April 2024, 10:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFark is this up at the station?
What a fkd time for the box to let go to!!

MB
18th April 2024, 11:26 PM
Please do ‘name & shame’ the culprits on that station mudski Brother [emoji120][emoji2959]
Safe Travels you two [emoji3590][emoji3590]

AB
19th April 2024, 08:49 AM
How old are your boys mate? I totally know the feeling and I don't like relying on others to solve my problems (aka asking the school principal to talk to the other family), so don't take this as advice, just venting off here... I once taught my daughter how to break a nose, how to throw a punch to the throat and some other dirty moves and told her to 100% destroy the bully boy with no regrets, that any problem with family or school would be mine to solve, nor hers. It turned out that just giving her that confidence put the thing into a different perspective for the other party without her needing to use the "new skills". But man, did it boiled my blood...

Hey mate, he's just turned 10 but unfortunately he is autistic and has developmental delays. He's basically about two years less mentally so he becomes an easy target unfortunately.

mudski
21st April 2024, 07:59 PM
Please do ‘name & shame’ the culprits on that station mudski Brother [emoji120][emoji2959]
Safe Travels you two [emoji3590][emoji3590]

From my FB page mate….

“Well, 10pm Last Tuesday night, we made the decision to drive up to Beth at Nockatunga station to help her get out of that prison camp, which made Beth so miserable for the last six weeks. What happened up there I don't have enough space to type it all down. The stations managers should be barred for life of running any more cattle stations for the things happening up there. Every story Beth and her mate Bella told us is beyond belief of how anyone could be treated this way. Here! In Australia too.
After doing a night "covert operation" to get the girls and two horses, we were out of there heading back to Thargomindah for the night, before trekking north east to Augathella to where Beth was to start her new job at another station. Catherine and I met the station managers and the other workers and were very relieved. Such a beautiful station, Beth is sharing a house with the two other workers, both girls were so nice to Beth instantly when they met. The share house has everything she needs, and everything works. Beth's old work place, her room resembled a concrete prison cell, seriously. The plus side also, she will actually be using her horse for mustering, unlike the old place which just blatantly lied to both Beth and Bella just to get them up there. They're horses were put in a paddock of some 30,000 acres I think and Beth only saw her horse a handful of times in the six weeks she was there. Not to mention working from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. The only time Beth had off was when she was sick, 2 days and was made to drive herself to hospital, which was a six hour round trip, and four days off for easter. Illegal much? This station owner will be getting a few emails soon I think from some ex employees and parents of these ex employees.
After all that, she's happy where she is now, and we are happy too. She is just so bloody far away. Catherine and I left Beth yesterday morning at around 8am, dropped Bella off with the float and her horse down at Yelarbon that day and made a Bee line for home and got in today at around 2.30pm this afternoon.
Oh and only 590ks into the road trip, at around 5am, 240k south of Cobar NSW, 5th gear in the Patrol decided to go bang and not work anymore, so the rest of the trip was done in 4th gear, leaving us to a top speed of 90kph!
We had flooded roads, so towns we need to pass through up to Beth were cut off and impassable, but alternate and interesting dirt roads were found to get us there, a buggered gearbox and maybe a thousand mozzie and midgy bites on me, but we DID IT!!!! “

I have cried with elation mate. It’s over. For now.
Next step is to make sure the station owner is aware of what’s going on.
I hear another station hand has decided to quit, also the chef is doing the same.

TPC
21st April 2024, 11:06 PM
I am really surprised that a station could be so bad, I have visited about 30 sheep and cattle stations for work and they have all been friendly places with happy workers.

pearcey
22nd April 2024, 08:40 AM
I`m with TCP on this . I do the odd job and play on a few stations and have found the same. Yeah folks work hard, play hard but all well respected. Most are sheep stations so bikes are use to muster but the occasional neddy is used. As for accommodation most shearers quarters are like home, great kitchens, bath rooms, toilets, bedrooms and lounge rooms all very comfortable. One place is in the process of building a three bed room house for their foreman. One thing, all those that I work and play on are AUSSIE owned.
I hope and wish her and her mate all the best for new start.

mudski
23rd April 2024, 01:31 PM
I am really surprised that a station could be so bad, I have visited about 30 sheep and cattle stations for work and they have all been friendly places with happy workers.

I`m with TCP on this . I do the odd job and play on a few stations and have found the same. Yeah folks work hard, play hard but all well respected. Most are sheep stations so bikes are use to muster but the occasional neddy is used. As for accommodation most shearers quarters are like home, great kitchens, bath rooms, toilets, bedrooms and lounge rooms all very comfortable. One place is in the process of building a three bed room house for their foreman. One thing, all those that I work and play on are AUSSIE owned.
I hope and wish her and her mate all the best for new start.

Its surprised us too. But. This is nothing new with the current station managers according to pretty much anyone you talk to in the town of Thargominda. A book could be written just on the stories I have heard about them.

Her accomodation was a tiny concrete box with no window and it floods when it rains. I was also told by a local plumber that right outfront of the room where my daughter was, is a septic tank which often overflows when it rains, right into my daughters room she had. Now, she got really sick a few weeks ago. Couldn't keep any food down and had the trots for two full days. The girls were not warned about Q fever, not even given the option to be vaccinated against it. From my understanding, its law to be told of the risks, and you must be tested and vax'd when working on these properties. Nothing was mentioned at all to both girls. Most people in the town of Thargominda are vax'd because of the amount of cattle trucks that drive through the town, so the risk of cattle dust getting into your lungs is high.
So did my daughter have Q fever? She had all the symptoms of it. Or did she get sick from when her bedroom flooded after a big rain they had.
I guess we will know soon as she is getting tested for Q fever in the coming weeks.

mudski
23rd April 2024, 01:33 PM
Anyhoo!

Does anyone have a spare 5spd lying around. 4k for a new box and another 1k to get it fitted. Im trying to find a low K second hand box but not having much luck.
It might stay a 4spd for a while longer I think.

AB
24th April 2024, 06:41 PM
Love our old gq’s but they are aging gracefully.

I just lightly bumped the washer bottle with my hand and it fell apart like a prawn cracker lol

Winnie
24th April 2024, 09:39 PM
I reckon I've had no washer bottle for a few years now [emoji23]

kassa
3rd May 2024, 04:36 PM
Washed it, Interior cleaned

pearcey
4th May 2024, 08:30 AM
I reckon I've had no washer bottle for a few years now [emoji23]

G`Day Winnie
The copper in Karoonda used to (not sure if he`s still there) pull you over and first thing he`d say was. "Use the washers" If they didn`t work, even if they were out of water he`d still defect you. He nabbed quite a few dry ones.

Hodge
4th May 2024, 12:10 PM
Anyhoo!

Does anyone have a spare 5spd lying around. 4k for a new box and another 1k to get it fitted. Im trying to find a low K second hand box but not having much luck.
It might stay a 4spd for a while longer I think.

Ring places that possibly do engine conversions etc... There's a LOT of barra conversions going on. Therefore a LOT of redundant gearboxes laying around somewhere.

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2024, 02:12 PM
Ring places that possibly do engine conversions etc... There's a LOT of barra conversions going on. Therefore a LOT of redundant gearboxes laying around somewhere.

Thats a great idea. Or mudski join a Barra conversion group of FB and ask if anyone has a gearbox in the shed.

AB
8th May 2024, 09:32 AM
What are the chances!

I replaced the fuel filter a while back and noticed the lift pump wasn't holding pressure anymore.

It would need a good 20 pumps if left sitting for the night.

Ok, easy, it has to be what I have just done. Check bleeder, check drain, check fuel filter, etc.

Everything looks fine. I took it off and on again multiple times.

I have never had a problem with my fuel pressure.

I just found this whilst waiting for Mia's school bus. That little tiny injector bleed return line looks to be the culprit.

What a perfect time for that to happen exactly the same time as I replace the filter!!!

mudski
8th May 2024, 09:53 AM
Thats a great idea. Or mudski join a Barra conversion group of FB and ask if anyone has a gearbox in the shed.

All good. I found a s/h box from a 2008 low 100thou on the clock box. George will be doing the r & r for me. Now I'm thinking do I get the Mark 10% overdrive reduction gear now, since I have saved over 2K. This would bring my revs at 100kph from 2450 to 2205rpm.

Hmmm.

AB
8th May 2024, 10:06 AM
All good. I found a s/h box from a 2008 low 100thou on the clock box. George will be doing the r & r for me. Now I'm thinking do I get the Mark 10% overdrive reduction gear now, since I have saved over 2K. This would bring my revs at 100kph from 2450 to 2205rpm.

Hmmm.

I would for sure.

I struggle on freeways, the Simmo trip will not be fun for me @ 110kmh

PeeBee
8th May 2024, 02:05 PM

Hmmm.

Mark, I have this conversion and I am now sitting in the sweet spot for max economy at 110klm/hr at 1750rpm.Unlike the 85% reduction gears that howl all day in low range the machine finish is excellent on the overdrive gears - silent as stock standard.

MB
8th May 2024, 09:00 PM
Mocked up with black tape, another Wacky MB concept [emoji2957][emoji23]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/05/11.jpg

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/05/12.jpg

Not sure if I love it or hate it yet [emoji848]
Keen for your honest helpful thoughts prior to welding Team NP.com.au?

Certainly will keep I believe our pesky local Hills bugs from ram feeding into the airbox, open passenger side window for a Navi would be a lot more bearable too I imagine [emoji1696]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/05/13.jpg

The 30 degree downwards, slightly twisted final bend theory is for parked up outside/overnight camping torrential rains protection.

Have had previous plastic family GU wagon truckster ram head snorkels fill airboxes overnight and believe poor Rossco ‘s GQ once did the same nearly hydro-locking his beast on morning startup [emoji51]

EDIT: Besides looking a little kooky, not powder coated yet [emoji23] Could the extra nearly say 800mm of 4” pipe potentially hinder its air intake? I’m only chasing 150rwkw again [emoji1696]

PeeBee
8th May 2024, 10:31 PM
Looks good, the extra pipe length would add restrictions in the order of 4 decimal places - not an issue, clever about the drop end to keep the water out. I have never had a problem with my forward facing safari head, or maybe the water simply was very small and evaporated from bonnet heat?

BrazilianY60
8th May 2024, 10:55 PM
Now I'm thinking do I get the Mark 10% overdrive reduction gear now,

Do you have a link for this reduction? I don't even have the power to push current 5th gear yet, but this is an interesting thing to know it exists.

PeeBee
8th May 2024, 10:57 PM
Do you have a link for this reduction? I don't even have the power to push current 5th gear yet, but this is an interesting thing to know it exists.

Here you go

https://www.marks4wd.com/low-range-overdrive-gears