PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Yeti's Beast
22nd July 2018, 06:17 PM
Finally got around to fitting a Tillix set up. [emoji16]
Went to the P4x4 show and shine yesterday and I was the only car there without some form of manual boost control.
Safely set to 16psi and now has stable boost like it should of in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bidja
22nd July 2018, 06:26 PM
Finally got around to fitting a Tillix set up. [emoji16]
Went to the P4x4 show and shine yesterday and I was the only car there without some form of manual boost control.
Safely set to 16psi and now has stable boost like it should of in the beginning.

Good move.
Stock ECU then?
Tillix & needle, guess so?

Yeti's Beast
22nd July 2018, 06:28 PM
Yes both needle and tillix
Needle is 1/4 out , max boost 16 psi.
No limp mode and is zippier than before
With 380,000k I don’t think it would be wise to push the boost any higher
Oh and yes stock ecu

Bidja
22nd July 2018, 06:33 PM
So a few ks there, DI (presume) or CRD?

Yeti's Beast
22nd July 2018, 06:38 PM
2003 Di
Only mechanically work done has been a clutch at 330,000k
Has always done long trips between Adelaide and Geelong prior to me buying it off my sister. Now it’s my work car.
It used to tow a 21 foot van and has been around Australia.
We tow a small Jayco Hawk.
Now it’s had the tillix, egr done, swirl valve removed. K&n airfilter.
2 more things on my list to do.
Catch can and a larger exhaust.

Bidja
22nd July 2018, 06:56 PM
So you have a boost gauge and maybe not egt gauge yet, but egt probe a good idea when doing larger exhaust. These mods, as you probably realize, and especially the larger exhaust will provide a good run. These were very impressive for me (CRD). I now have ecu remap and Procharge stage 3. These mods you mention will provide a be very good result and value for money spent .

Are you thinking EGR plate?
Scan tool?
Are you holding 16psi maxB under load up hill (hauling) or just max boost when you give it a squirt?

Yeti's Beast
22nd July 2018, 07:04 PM
Once I do the exhaust I plan to fit an EGT gauge, I have blocked the EGR with a plate.
I haven’t driven far yet to determine what the boost is doing. So far I have found that the max psi while driving is 16 and cruising at 80 is 10 psi
Till there is a load and it goes back up to 16.
I need to get on a road that’s 100 so I can see what pressure it sits on at cruise

Bidja
22nd July 2018, 07:26 PM
Once I do the exhaust I plan to fit an EGT gauge, I have blocked the EGR with a plate.
I haven’t driven far yet to determine what the boost is doing. So far I have found that the max psi while driving is 16 and cruising at 80 is 10 psi
Till there is a load and it goes back up to 16.
I need to get on a road that’s 100 so I can see what pressure it sits on at cruise

OK 10psi @ 80kpm look reasonable your cruise @100kph may sit around 12psi (maybe a little higher) at this needle setting. 1/4 turn would provide quite a responsive spool. Did you set needle @ idle, so the arm just lifted off stop and the maybe closed slightly?

Your maxB can and should occur at revs > 2000rpm say in 3rd under load. Good if it can come on Max boost around 1800 rpm. Why I asked about your max boost under load (hauling) was because that is where you should set max boost (tillix) without getting limp. For DI max boost of 16 psi (hauling) without limp is good. Put a tow behind you may have to come back a bit on boost as the ECU may not be able to keep the fuel up to it. This is where a remap is of value. But as I said before the mods you are thinking of will be good.

Need to have a scan tool to manage and erase any fault codes.

When you do you exhaust, IMO block off egr at exhaust manifold as well (block both ends).

Yeti's Beast
22nd July 2018, 07:52 PM
Cheers
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
During the week I will give it a good drive and see how it all performs.
I just ran down and picked my daughter up from work. Admittedly it’s only 5 I each way but the car is much zippier

Hodge
11th August 2018, 02:17 PM
Just gave it a bit of overdue TLC. Serviced it, put a filter kit through it. Thanks to mudski for these kits !!
Also done Brake / clutch fluid. Also fitted up flexiblade wipers.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76054&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76055&stc=1

Bidja
11th August 2018, 03:14 PM
Have ordered new tensioner and belt (CRD), and could not wait so took off fan belt and yes jokey pulley is loose as and squeals away like extremely dry/worn bearing. This might have been the grinding/meshing noise I have been occasionally hearing of late.

I also, sometimes hear a high pitched song (like file on edge of thin spinning disk) and it may not be my shinny SS induction whistle after all... hahaha.

Think I can rest assured now that the unwanted noise it is most likely my tensioner.... Will know when job done and but must say getting belt off (the first time) was easier that removing oil filter (removed no cowling, just rotated tensioner arm).

PeeBee
11th August 2018, 03:59 PM
Welded out the front diff brace and modified the front pumpkin protector to suit, came up a treat, looking to do the rear next, however the kits all are fitted on the underside of the diff housing so will lose some obstacle clearance.

Did a maintenance run on the front and back winches today, in and out 3 times for good measure, found an issue with a dicky earth on the rear winch earth point, so stripped it apart, applied some conductive paste and bolted back together, all good.

Fabricated a h/d battery battery clamp for the rear 2 batteries, but allowed design for the third thats coming next month, boxed out the battery area with a plywood shelf and cut down one of the storage boxes to suit, came up well.76056

Hodge
11th August 2018, 04:37 PM
Have ordered new tensioner and belt (CRD), and could not wait so took off fan belt and yes jokey pulley is loose as and squeals away like extremely dry/worn bearing. This might have been the grinding/meshing noise I have been occasionally hearing of late.

I also, sometimes hear a high pitched song (like file on edge of thin spinning disk) and it may not be my shinny SS induction whistle after all... hahaha.

Think I can rest assured now that the unwanted noise it is most likely my tensioner.... Will know when job done and but must say getting belt off (the first time) was easier that removing oil filter (removed no cowling, just rotated tensioner arm).
Bidja
CRD tensioners commonly fail.
During my 2 year ownership of a 2009 GU CRD, I have gone through two of them . First one failed after several mud holes and slowly began the whining song until it failed on me on a highway once... Nearly took out my other belts etc...
Second one failed after a river crossing up in the high country and I gambled my way home and it didnt fail. Lucky. Both were genuine units.

Bidja
11th August 2018, 08:16 PM
Bidja
CRD tensioners commonly fail.
During my 2 year ownership of a 2009 GU CRD, I have gone through two of them . First one failed after several mud holes and slowly began the whining song until it failed on me on a highway once... Nearly took out my other belts etc...
Second one failed after a river crossing up in the high country and I gambled my way home and it didnt fail. Lucky. Both were genuine units.

Yeah my first (@ 136k km, manual & had since new), live on a dirt road and travel them wet/muddy, do not do heaps of mud slurry swims but do water crossings. Guess have been lucky. Early on, thought I had a boost leak (high pitch whistle), but also have recently replaced 2 broken front exhaust studs.

Did you experience the flowing type of noises?:
Over last 2 wks there has been an occasional grating/vibrating sound coming from font LHS (either like gears/syncro or brake caliper piston grabbing/vibrating against the pad backing shim plate). A month ago, I replaced rotors and pads and are working well. Initial noise may have been the pulley bearing showing first signs of excessive side slap wear and vibrating at particular loads (rapid de-acceleration into corners). Since Licola (gave it a wash) and now have the high pitch squeal that will quieten down after it warms up (say after 40km distance traveled) but comes back on at cold start up (stuffed bearing, has approx 1mm side slap with belt off and grinds away when U spin it).

Will be letting it sit in place until I install the new tensioner and belt (Genuine $260 of eBay). I have only the one flat ribbed belt but does look in good nick, will keep as a spare and rebuild the worn tensioner..

Sir Roofy
12th August 2018, 04:31 PM
Hi John is just the bearing gone ? You can just replace that

Sir Roofy
12th August 2018, 04:53 PM
Hi John is just the bearing gone ? You can just replace that

If you look up Hug Flight belt tensioners you could do better than that price and with a new belt included

Bidja
12th August 2018, 04:59 PM
G'day Graig, you still happening there and this is soooo good mate. Just took a couple of days haha.

Thought I would buy a new tensioner, rebuild the current one and have as a spare.

Bidja
12th August 2018, 05:03 PM
If you look up Hug Flight belt tensioners you could do better than that price and with a new belt included

Yeh had a look, OnLineAutoparts sell them, same guys that I bought my new genuine one off. Will check them out for pulley / bearing assy or just bearing will see which way to go when I change over. New one arrives Mon or Tues.

Sir Roofy
12th August 2018, 05:04 PM
G'day Graig, you still happening there and this is soooo good mate. Just took a couple of days haha.

Thought I would buy a new tensioner, rebuild the current one and have as a spare.

Yes mate still alive to cold today to do the truck got the pump out have another to go in but the weather is against me
But I'll get there

Bidja
12th August 2018, 05:31 PM
Yes mate still alive to cold today to do the truck got the pump out have another to go in but the weather is against me
But I'll get there

With a possible ECU remap for you, check the link below out, can put a word in for you. What exhaust will U be using?

https://ecpt.com.au/products-services/ecu-remapping/

Something to think about - Harley is the contact (email) to follow up. Postal remap $750 + postage (say $790) and 1-2 wk turn around. You remove ecu send to them direct and they post back. Good tune, you set boost/spool and all good (Max boost 20-22psi / AFR around 22:1). They turn off EGR as well.

With remap, IMO need to improve induction to allow turbo to breath easy.

Sir Roofy
12th August 2018, 07:45 PM
With a possible ECU remap for you, check the link below out, can put a word in for you. What exhaust will U be using?

https://ecpt.com.au/products-services/ecu-remapping/

Something to think about - Harley is the contact (email) to follow up. Postal remap $750 + postage (say $790) and 1-2 wk turn around. You remove ecu send to them direct and they post back. Good tune, you set boost/spool and all good (Max boost 20-22psi / AFR around 22:1). They turn off EGR as well.

With remap, IMO need to improve induction to allow turbo to breath easy.

Will think about this remap thing
But have to get the old girl back
On the road first

Bidja
13th August 2018, 07:15 PM
Installed my new tensioner and belt this arvo, CRD is running sweet as. Licola was the first decent trip with my new procharge stage 3 H/F turbo, the ECU had time to settle in as I did. Got to know my vehicle so much more from doing the snow run and especially the Mt Margaret drive (so good). Thanks guys.

MB
13th August 2018, 10:53 PM
Reduction gears LR John mate, you’ll love em! Enjoy the views :-) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidja
13th August 2018, 11:28 PM
Good next mod thought Mark. The high gearing is a pain mate, reason why I have kept my running dia of tyre down but would like to go at least 33". U start me thinking, did a search and will have a read to get me off for a start.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?30950-Reduction-Gears

Always like to have a gear below, @ Mt Margaret run, one stage found myself running 1st LR descent and one occasion in same gear having to do hand brake start @ mid climb (wheels crunching in to get traction).
Reduction ratios would be a real like.

Don't know what is out there but have to start looking..

MB
13th August 2018, 11:38 PM
Only got onto them 63% customs about a year ago thanks to this great forum. Safest and most enjoyable HC crawling ever known!!

Bidja
13th August 2018, 11:57 PM
OK, tell me a bit more mate. What and who supplies? Briefly how did you go about it, what was needed doing or point me in a direction (if not too much of an ask).

MB
14th August 2018, 12:09 AM
‘Marks Adapters’ “Awesome Mob IMO” in short created a 20/40/80ish gear. An even more creative bloke wanted difference in between, 63% were born for a top need appreciated!
Spare set here if you need immediately, although will require replacement on legends next pallet run ;-)

Bidja
14th August 2018, 12:09 AM
Only got onto them 63% customs about a year ago thanks to this great forum. Safest and most enjoyable HC crawling ever known!!

Mark, hold off on replying to my ask if you like. Will have a bit of a read around and then see where it goes from there mate.

Edit - U were too quick...lol

Bidja
14th August 2018, 12:14 AM
‘Marks Adapters’ “Awesome Mob IMO” in short created a 20/40/80ish gear. An even more creative bloke wanted difference in between, 63% were born for a top need appreciated!
Spare set here if you need immediately, although will require replacement on legends next pallet run ;-)

Not an immediate but could work if suits. PM me with some details mate and I can give you a ring.

foggs
14th August 2018, 01:57 PM
I forgot I had these. A GUIV clock spring and steering wheel radio switch for the GUIV leather wheel I retro fitted. Contemplating grafting this into the already modified clock spring I have.

Where did you get the steering wheel radio control? Been looking for one of these for ages.

mudski
14th August 2018, 05:25 PM
Where did you get the steering wheel radio control? Been looking for one of these for ages.

Got it through Nissan. I can get you the part number for it if you want.

foggs
14th August 2018, 10:07 PM
Got it through Nissan. I can get you the part number for it if you want.

That would be great. Does it come with the wiring?

mudski
14th August 2018, 10:36 PM
That would be great. Does it come with the wiring?

No wiring, you will need a clock spring too that has the required wiring. I found a Patrol on Carsales which had dual steering controls and used the VIN from this to get the required parts. Still haven’t done it yet. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/1.heic

Sent from my crapPhone using Tapatalk

foggs
14th August 2018, 11:00 PM
No wiring, you will need a clock spring too that has the required wiring. I found a Patrol on Carsales which had dual steering controls and used the VIN from this to get the required parts. Still haven’t done it yet.

Awesome, thanks for that.

rusty_nail
17th August 2018, 07:55 AM
Haven't done anything yet, but I'm planning on purchasing a sway bar from superior for the front end at bending the factory one several years ago and not being bothered to replace it. Has anyone had experience with it? Is it worth the money or should I just source a factory one. Currently running A4"lift with drop boxes.

Also noticed they sell genuine hubs (auto) for$160 a pair, my d/s hub is bugger so needing to look into replacing them. The are cheap Chinese manual ones (I'm keen to change to manual) but if decent manual hubs are really expensive then I'll probably just replace with the genuine ones.

Cheers

Rusty

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rossco
17th August 2018, 09:04 AM
From what I've heard the superior ones sound really good and control body roll heeeaps better than the factory items which leave a little to be desired especially when loaded and stuff on the roof. Reckon i might upgrade to these one day. .

AB
18th August 2018, 03:24 PM
Put the new uhf antenna on lol

My god I can hear people and communicate!!!

Rossco
18th August 2018, 03:38 PM
Put the new uhf antenna on lol

My god I can hear people and communicate!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYay, thank goodness [emoji6] . . .

mudski
18th August 2018, 04:23 PM
Haven't done anything yet, but I'm planning on purchasing a sway bar from superior for the front end at bending the factory one several years ago and not being bothered to replace it. Has anyone had experience with it? Is it worth the money or should I just source a factory one. Currently running A4"lift with drop boxes.

Also noticed they sell genuine hubs (auto) for$160 a pair, my d/s hub is bugger so needing to look into replacing them. The are cheap Chinese manual ones (I'm keen to change to manual) but if decent manual hubs are really expensive then I'll probably just replace with the genuine ones.

Cheers

Rusty

Dont buy the Chinese hubs Nic. I did that and the hubs were not locking in properly due to poor manufacturing. So I managed to get a refund on them and just bit the bullet and bought genuine ones. I have pics here somewhere showing the difference of the Chinese and oem ones.

DX grunt
19th August 2018, 06:40 AM
I'm in the process of doing a few things then detailing DX grunt, ready for sale, over the next month.

The missus can't ride in it due to a back injury and it saddens me to see it being used for tip runs and driven for the sake of keeping all things ticking over.

Bacho86
19th August 2018, 02:06 PM
In between the sun, rain and hail yesterday managed to finish installing the new rear 6.5” door speakers and also changed did a minor oils service

the evil twin
19th August 2018, 05:02 PM
Playing around with tune on the 4L85 gearbox... autos make my head hurt sometimes but have managed to get 3rd and 4th zactly as i want but the TCC in 2nd is still giving me the irrits.

Hodge
20th August 2018, 07:31 PM
Finally closed the gap in the bonnet ,left after the CC intercooler and ARE scoop were fitted.
Been like this for 2 years. Lol

New hole didn't cover the whole factory scoop gap, so there was a small hole , about 4cmx19cm , so not all air was going through the cooler. Thin sheet metal , painted in white , mounted using existing scoop nuts.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/264.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/265.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yeti's Beast
20th August 2018, 08:24 PM
Wow you have a big one [emoji6]

Mike02Ti
20th August 2018, 08:49 PM
Fitted a Uneek rear bar. Picked it up on Gumtree. Wrong colour but thats easily sorted.
Just got to change reverse camera to a flush mount type and wire up an over ride switch for the reverse lights so i can use them as flood lights. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/266.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/267.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/268.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeti's Beast
22nd August 2018, 12:21 AM
I have the same reverse lights hooked up to a 3 way switch and a relay. Lots better than the standard light

Mike02Ti
22nd August 2018, 10:53 AM
I have the same reverse lights hooked up to a 3 way switch and a relay. Lots better than the standard light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProYeah was thinking of the 3 way switch. I have wiring there for my old spotlight I had .... before it got torn off. So was thinking of using that and changing switch over to suit
Its great i can actually see backwards when reversing now.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

mudski
22nd August 2018, 09:31 PM
Finally closed the gap in the bonnet ,left after the CC intercooler and ARE scoop were fitted.
Been like this for 2 years. Lol

New hole didn't cover the whole factory scoop gap, so there was a small hole , about 4cmx19cm , so not all air was going through the cooler. Thin sheet metal , painted in white , mounted using existing scoop nuts.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/264.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/265.jpg

Now can you come and do mine. Mines been like that longer than yours. Hahaha!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd August 2018, 09:35 PM
Burnt it, the fuel that was left in it when I parked it up was enough 2 leave a metal shell that some local scrap guy happily picked up, unfortunately it was taking up 2 much room in my back yard

mudski
22nd August 2018, 09:51 PM
Burnt it, the fuel that was left in it when I parked it up was enough 2 leave a metal shell that some local scrap guy happily picked up, unfortunately it was taking up 2 much room in my back yard

You need to get that Patrol down here somehow mate, and leave it up to us.

rusty_nail
22nd August 2018, 10:33 PM
Burnt it, the fuel that was left in it when I parked it up was enough 2 leave a metal shell that some local scrap guy happily picked up, unfortunately it was taking up 2 much room in my back yardDid you really get rid of it mate?

NissanGQ4.2
23rd August 2018, 03:51 PM
Did you really get rid of it mate?

Fark NO, as much as Erin would probably like for me 2 part it out and get at least some $$$ for it.

I'm holding on for club regs or when the grubbament starts charging rego by the km's which ever one comes first :)

PeeBee
23rd August 2018, 09:34 PM
Packed it, fueled it up ($1.70/L in metro Melb!!!) filled the fridge, heading off tomorrow for 2 nights snow camping at 1500m, can't wait, sick of painting and plastering and up to the neck in bathroom refurb as well - time to go bush.

Clunk
23rd August 2018, 09:41 PM
Packed it, fueled it up ($1.70/L in metro Melb!!!) filled the fridge, heading off tomorrow for 2 nights snow camping at 1500m, can't wait, sick of painting and plastering and up to the neck in bathroom refurb as well - time to go bush.Thought of you today....... Drove past a car with a sign in the window for Custom made cushions. Wasn't able to get the number [emoji23]

PeeBee
23rd August 2018, 09:52 PM
Thought of you today....... Drove past a car with a sign in the window for Custom made cushions. Wasn't able to get the number [emoji23]

Found another bag of babies ready to head to the Op Shop, which can only mean one thing - yes, you got it, and I don't need any further reminding.

MB
23rd August 2018, 10:39 PM
Fark NO, as much as Erin would probably like for me 2 part it out and get at least some $$$ for it.

I'm holding on for club regs or when the grubbament starts charging rego by the km's which ever one comes first :)

Time to get busy Top Bloke, PM truck collection details and Mudski shall more than on the line assist! garett mate, completely forgot me you were to float the beast down?

Woof
26th August 2018, 06:07 PM
Removed all the stuff from the patrol ready for the 2nd row of seats to be put back in, found things that I have not seen for years

Avo
26th August 2018, 06:41 PM
Removed all the stuff from the patrol ready for the 2nd row of seats to be put back in, found things that I have not seen for yearsSanity

Woof
26th August 2018, 07:03 PM
Sanity

You know me mate.........................................lost that years ago

Woof
5th September 2018, 07:24 PM
Second row of seats back in, removed fridge and slider..................just need to give it a good clean inside and out and it is all finished

rusty_nail
5th September 2018, 10:12 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on exhaust upgrades. The mob I'm looking at sell a muffler, hot dog or cat only options. What sort of noise can I expect from a hot dog? Looking for something that is a little louder than stock, but mainly to help motor breathe easier. Beside an uber loud auto exhaust note always sounds crappy.

MB
5th September 2018, 10:50 PM
Welcome aboard mate!
Best to post your queries up in a mechanical thread but most of all enjoy brother!

Avo
5th September 2018, 10:58 PM
Second row of seats back in, removed fridge and slider..................just need to give it a good clean inside and out and it is all finishedOnly took you a few weeks..... are you retired alread

Avo
5th September 2018, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on exhaust upgrades. The mob I'm looking at sell a muffler, hot dog or cat only options. What sort of noise can I expect from a hot dog? Looking for something that is a little louder than stock, but mainly to help motor breathe easier. Beside an uber loud auto exhaust note always sounds crappy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkId go the CAT and a HOTDOG.....sounds good

MB
5th September 2018, 11:34 PM
Hi guys,
............What sort of noise can I expect from a hot dog?.........

https://youtu.be/Ye3JD-6Pkcs

4bye4
5th September 2018, 11:39 PM
https://youtu.be/Ye3JD-6Pkcs

Gold that

MB
5th September 2018, 11:41 PM
Sorry Rusty, mental I am ;-)

Fireblade
7th September 2018, 12:04 PM
hi, i greased my drive line today.
3 nipples per drive shaft, tool from ebay preformed well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grease-Gun-Pistol-Grip-Dual-Flow-Pressure-10-000psi-Industrial-High-Quality-Tool/132138623236?epid=10020275372&hash=item1ec4136104:g:KHEAAOSwk6dbkUUa

used castrol grease
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/castrol-premium-heavy-duty-grease-cartridge---450g/10240.html#q=grease&segment=1&page=1

jay see
7th September 2018, 04:33 PM
Hello gents.

Not sure where to put this. Seeing that I'm working on the patrol I figured I'll put it here.

Anyway thanks to Bob for the consult I'll discovered that I have a knock sensor fault. I've taken it out and it's cracked in two places.

Question is, can I safely drive without one for a week. I think I can???

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

gaddy
8th September 2018, 10:41 AM
All oils and filters , new belts , 60 lt water bladder , winch service , 2 weeks till the Simpson 😊

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Touses
8th September 2018, 03:56 PM
All oils and filters , new belts , 60 lt water bladder , winch service , 2 weeks till the Simpson 😊

Winch service?? Why? You drive a Patrol. OHHH of course!! Landcrab recoveries. Silly Touses.

Fireblade
8th September 2018, 11:00 PM
All oils and filters , new belts , 60 lt water bladder , winch service , 2 weeks till the Simpson ��

What water bladder and where did you fit it?

I repacked right hand front wheel bearing tomorrow will do the other side

gaddy
9th September 2018, 06:57 AM
What water bladder and where did you fit it?

I repacked right hand front wheel bearing tomorrow will do the other side
EBay , and behind/under the back seat .http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/54.jpg

4bye4
9th September 2018, 03:56 PM
New radiator , viscous fan , thermostat and water pump through the week ready to go away down south to Ravensthorpe, Hopetoun and Bremer Bay for a couple of weeks. Loaded the trailer today. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/55.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/56.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/57.jpg

katwoman
10th September 2018, 11:39 PM
Bought a canopy, adapting to fit the husband. Trial run to Canberra later this week
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/1.png

Hodge
11th September 2018, 07:05 PM
Drove it !
First time in many weeks.

mudski
11th September 2018, 08:04 PM
Drove it !
First time in many weeks.

On call again mate?

Plasnart
11th September 2018, 08:08 PM
Bought a canopy, adapting to fit the husband. Trial run to Canberra later this week
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/1.png

At least it's on a better ride now kat, much like my roof topper! ;)

sooty_10
11th September 2018, 08:15 PM
Installed Aldi roof cage. Fit the space perfectly.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

katwoman
11th September 2018, 10:04 PM
At least it's on a better ride now kat, much like my roof topper! ;)

Yep. And for future reference cruiser trays are narrower.

Plasnart
11th September 2018, 10:14 PM
Yep. And for future reference cruiser trays are narrower.

There's just no stance in a cruiser.

katwoman
13th September 2018, 09:45 PM
Got the canopy finished and loaded. Now to see how the N/A likes the extra weight.

Plasnart
13th September 2018, 10:15 PM
Got the canopy finished and loaded. Now to see how the N/A likes the extra weight.

Got any pics?

Fireblade
15th September 2018, 09:01 PM

Remove all the old inline use holders and went with an ebay eBay box for $20
Led lights come on to show if a fuse is blown. Much cleaner, I’m so happy.
I also trimmed the factory fuse box lid as it was a pain to remove, it kept catching on the factory harness. Can’t even tell it’s cut but it’s so easy to remove and refit now.

jack
15th September 2018, 10:25 PM
Installed the Boss Coil Tower Brace Kit, piece of cake installation. Less than an hour to do the lot, coil spring compressor and no need to undo shocks or sway bar.
Just about took me longer to raise the car and remove and refit wheels. Nice bit of kit.

Hodge
16th September 2018, 07:49 AM
Installed the Boss Coil Tower Brace Kit, piece of cake installation. Less than an hour to do the lot, coil spring compressor and no need to undo shocks or sway bar.
Just about took me longer to raise the car and remove and refit wheels. Nice bit of kit.

You're a better man than me Jack. How'dya go with those bolts nuts fiddling on top next to fuel lines... I invented new swear words doing those.

jack
16th September 2018, 09:33 AM
You're a better man than me Jack. How'dya go with those bolts nuts fiddling on top next to fuel lines... I invented new swear words doing those.

Actually had no issues, cleaned it up and put silicone on the top plate of the brace then loosely bolted in place using the bump stop bolts. Had room to place the nuts on top, started the thread and hit it with an 18v impact driver (also used loctite). Then redid the bump stops, I will check the fuel lines to make sure they aren’t touching.

Fireblade
16th September 2018, 08:41 PM
Fitted front brake pads, gu has 190,000km and the pads where genuine Nissan in it couldn’t be the factory pads after that many km surely?

I used bendix pads same as the rears now, I’ve never had an issue with em so stick with what I know.

sly13
16th September 2018, 09:54 PM
Finally got around to installing my second auxiliary battery today, for a total of 270AH.
Nothing like a couple of cold beers while up the bush, and no fear of running the batteries down too low.

mudnut
18th September 2018, 07:08 PM
2"lift is out and brand new rear shocks have been fitted with the standard springs. The vehicle sits as solid as a rock on the road and the ride is smooth.

the evil twin
18th September 2018, 07:45 PM
Disconnected the smart Alternator shunt... now 14.4 volts all day loooong!!! ... take ya emissions and shove it I say

Cremulator
18th September 2018, 10:49 PM
I went to the wreckers last week and bought a bunch of small bits and pieces that my GU III was missing/were damaged.
One of those bits was a replacement cruise control module, as the writing had worn off the unit on my steering wheel.
I could only get a black module, and my factory unit was a khaki colour, so I pulled them both apart, popped the buttons out and swapped them over.
Pretty happy with how it looks.7638776388763897639076391

Fireblade
19th September 2018, 09:03 AM
Disconnected the smart Alternator shunt... now 14.4 volts all day loooong!!! ... take ya emissions and shove it I say

what do you mean by this? i didnt know the y61 had this

the evil twin
19th September 2018, 10:20 AM
what do you mean by this? i didnt know the y61 had this

They don't... the Y62 does (and a 130 AH Alternator stock).

The Y61 was made only just after electricity was discovered so thankfully missed out on PIA equipment like smart alternators

Fireblade
19th September 2018, 11:46 AM
thought so, one of the reasons i like the old y61 bit more simple.. like me... :)

mudnut
19th September 2018, 08:00 PM
Cracked all of the rear suspension bush mounting nuts to reset the the bushes to standard height then torqued them all back up.

I never would have thought of doing that, but at the Anzac holiday meet up, PeeBee told me that the bushes need to be reset when a lift is added or subtracted. Cheers, mate.

PeeBee
19th September 2018, 09:21 PM
Cracked all of the rear suspension bush mounting nuts to reset the the bushes to standard height then torqued them all back up.

I never would have thought of doing that, but at the Anzac holiday meet up, PeeBee told me that the bushes need to be reset when a lift is added or subtracted. Cheers, mate.

Muddy, thats great but to be 100% honest I don't recall the conversation or which bushes you are referring to - sorry I am now totally intrigued!!!!! But glad it worked or made you feel good, and hope it wasn't too much trouble.

mudnut
19th September 2018, 10:16 PM
Muddy, thats great but to be 100% honest I don't recall the conversation or which bushes you are referring to - sorry I am now totally intrigued!!!!! But glad it worked or made you feel good, and hope it wasn't too much trouble.

Bastard of a job, but it makes sense. The bushes are fitted and done up at standard. A 2" inch lift rotates the bushes, therefore as the vehicle lifts over a bump, the the rubber is twisted that much extra. I hadn't given it a thought, until you mentioned it. When I got home I set the bushes for the lift, so had to reset them to standard when the lift was removed.

AB
26th September 2018, 07:02 PM
Currently packing it to go camping on the Murray, YAY!!!

Been a while!

the evil twin
26th September 2018, 07:33 PM

Been a while!

Would rather be doing that but next best thing is working on the Trol... so I fitted the roof racks today.

nissannewby
26th September 2018, 08:02 PM
Would rather be doing that but next best thing is working on the Trol... so I fitted the roof racks today.

Which rack did you go with?

MB
26th September 2018, 08:22 PM

Been a while!

Hope we’re feeling strong mate, no hydraulics on the river to get our cousins toys off again..... :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/143.jpg

the evil twin
27th September 2018, 12:59 AM
Which rack did you go with?

Probably should have said "bars" actually... went with the 3 Bar Nissan jobbies

$290 and 90 minutes including cuppa breaks and they were on...

MB
1st October 2018, 03:35 PM
Smashed a wagon window......accidentally locked the keys in on the river camping, she’s gonna be pissed upon return home oops [emoji51]

PeeBee
1st October 2018, 03:41 PM
Piece of masonite with a lovely floral print, all will be good. Use the special classy silver tape, even better.

MB
1st October 2018, 05:03 PM
Got any PDF embroidery type cushion templates I could please copy Philstar mate? Dire straits forthcoming in E-minus 59minutes collision work homecoming!

mudski
1st October 2018, 05:09 PM
Smashed a wagon window......accidentally locked the keys in on the river camping, she’s gonna be pissed upon return home oops [emoji51]

Time to add remote central locking to the old GUrl mate. Then you can lock the keys in it.

MB
1st October 2018, 05:53 PM
First time in 20+ years old mate, must’ve been too relaxed :-) For sure would have locked the remote thingymebob in there too that night. Is that how they work, a keychain buzzer fob mate?
EDIT: Meant long time time since accidentally locking keys in a truck, must be slipping over the hill YO.
Collingwood supporters AM radio camping sour loss next to us encouraged a 4 door elecy lock-up via drivers key, forgot about the rear barn door close upon beer security before bedtime, with keys next to the fridge slide :-(

Bidja
1st October 2018, 07:55 PM
Fishing Lake Eucumbene last yr, up early rushing around to go out on water with mate in boat. Each had own vehicle, where is me keys? Looked all over up thru tussock to w/c, thru gear no joy (2hrs stressing). Wind was crap decided to lift boat get a lift home with mate, picked up spare keys and back in the trusty 2.4 lt nav ute with wife, gained entry and then headed back home (let her drive the GU), keep the peace (150 ks each way).

Spent mega bucks on new coded/remote key and got a couple of non coded key (entry only). Few days after getting new key, sorting out gear, shoved hand thru sleeve of Gore-Tex jacket (has pull in sleeve cuffs) and yep keys fell out on the ground (now 3 coded). Stuff.

Now, always when up bush or stressed, have a non coded key hanging around my neck and stays there. Coded keys in safe place (not in my pocket).

PeeBee
2nd October 2018, 03:48 PM
Installed the new HD rear lower control arms, and front and rear adj panhards today. Drivers side control arm took 4 hours to get out as the belly tank blocked the bolt extraction, so after jinking around, headed up to total Tools for a 5" angle grinder, and off came the head , then had to weld up a tool to extract the frozen bolt, so armed with that experience, attacked the pass side, which took all of 10 minutes to do. Hint though, use a ratchet strap to hold the diff housings together front to rear, or else they will roll out of alignment if the wheels are not chocked MudRunnerTD came to the rescue on that issue, thanks darren.

Drove the car back into the garage, didn't notice a damn difference at all - seems like a total waste of time!!!!!

One thing of note that was different was the smooth action of the suspension, even on the short relocation. I installed all the pins using a teflon antiseize and the difference was there - far smoother.

mudnut
2nd October 2018, 05:03 PM
Fishing Lake Eucumbene last yr, up early rushing around to go out on water with mate in boat. Each had own vehicle, where is me keys? Looked all over up thru tussock to w/c, thru gear no joy (2hrs stressing). Wind was crap decided to lift boat get a lift home with mate, picked up spare keys and back in the trusty 2.4 lt nav ute with wife, gained entry and then headed back home (let her drive the GU), keep the peace (150 ks each way).

Spent mega bucks on new coded/remote key and got a couple of non coded key (entry only). Few days after getting new key, sorting out gear, shoved hand thru sleeve of Gore-Tex jacket (has pull in sleeve cuffs) and yep keys fell out on the ground (now 3 coded). Stuff.

Now, always when up bush or stressed, have a non coded key hanging around my neck and stays there. Coded keys in safe place (not in my pocket).

Long live the spare-key-lanyard!!!

GQtdauto
2nd October 2018, 06:12 PM

Didn't seperate the camper trailer keys and lost the lot at Daly water waters somehow ,spewin.

Bidja
2nd October 2018, 08:39 PM
Long live the spare-key-lanyard!!!

Saves so much time, was always feeling to see if I had them (keys that is). Now I don't have to worry about them falling onto the ground after trying to hide them up in the bull bar somewhere and making sure no one is watching "paranoid" no more..lol

Bidja
2nd October 2018, 08:45 PM
Didn't seperate the camper trailer keys and lost the lot at Daly water waters somehow ,spewin.

Went a fair way to loose those key there mate. Would have been a great time though I recon. Did you have spare keys?

Hodge
8th October 2018, 06:09 PM
Just finished fitting up a Kaymar OzBar I picked up second hand. Don't have any swingaway's yet. Everything fitted up flawlessly, direct bolt on.
To me it sits a bit too low, as in the gap between body and bar is a bit much. But it's spot on according to fitting instructions. And regardless, physically cannot be altered up or down anyway.
Just gotta get a flasher relay now, as my indicators are going nuts due to the LED lights in the bar. I'd prefer that to the resistor packs.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76563&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76564&stc=1

Yeti's Beast
8th October 2018, 06:13 PM
Looks good Hodge
I’m looking at my car with sad eyes as soon I’m trading it in and I don’t really want to but that’s life sometimes.
Unless someone wants to buy it prior, let me know
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/156.jpg

Hodge
8th October 2018, 06:44 PM
Looks good Hodge
I’m looking at my car with sad eyes as soon I’m trading it in and I don’t really want to but that’s life sometimes.
Unless someone wants to buy it prior, let me know
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProDamn mate. You gotta do what you gotta do though.

Yeti's Beast
8th October 2018, 06:45 PM
Damn mate. You gotta do what you gotta do though.

Yep , need a newer car for work so looks like I might be getting a BT50

the evil twin
8th October 2018, 06:59 PM
Yep , need a newer car that never works so looks like I might be getting a BT50

Fixed it for ya...

Yeti's Beast
8th October 2018, 07:04 PM
Fixed it for ya...

Thanks mate [emoji106]

mudski
9th October 2018, 07:33 AM
Yep , need a newer car for work so looks like I might be getting a BT50

Just dont load it up too much. Those toothpick chassis rails aren't the best.

MB
10th October 2018, 06:54 PM
Decided to give em a break!
Many years of building a business together off the back of great old hauling Patrols, today forward they can take a well earned rest and run around jobs relaxed.
Finance approved and deposit paid for next steps with an oldish 8x4TS International Acco 8.3L Rebuilt Cummins.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/180.jpg
Sellers RWC underway and Palfinger Vic ready for 10Y checks certification we hope all good.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/181.jpg
Time to upgrade us all from LT-MR now to HR licences needed and Palfinger Dogging tickets first before being eligible for C6 Crane tickets for its 16T lift capabilities.
Haven’t been to school for years, going to be fun I reckon and may even help keep us safer out bush atop of what’s kindly been learnt here so far at NP.com.au great folks [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/182.jpg

Winnie
10th October 2018, 07:21 PM
Nice one MB, looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mudski
10th October 2018, 07:48 PM
Decided to give em a break!
Many years of building a business together off the back of great old hauling Patrols, today forward they can take a well earned rest and run around jobs relaxed.
Finance approved and deposit paid for next steps with an oldish 8x4TS International Acco 8.3L Rebuilt Cummins.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/180.jpg
Sellers RWC underway and Palfinger Vic ready for 10Y checks certification we hope all good.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/181.jpg
Time to upgrade us all from LT-MR now to HR licences needed and Palfinger Dogging tickets first before being eligible for C6 Crane tickets for its 16T lift capabilities.
Haven’t been to school for years, going to be fun I reckon and may even help keep us safer out bush atop of what’s kindly been learnt here so far at NP.com.au great folks [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/182.jpg

Nice mate. Need to bring this to our Licola trip, then Johnno wont need to worry about a tow truck.... Lol.

MB
10th October 2018, 07:57 PM
And or haul one of our 3 x times en-route failed tucker trailers home mate :-)

mudski
10th October 2018, 09:30 PM
And or haul one of our 3 x times en-route failed tucker trailers home mate :-)

Haha yes. Well I didnt' want to mention that. I thought it might have been a touchy subject...

MB
10th October 2018, 09:34 PM
Never old mate, dish it out then accept it back Monkey flinging brother :-)

Bidja
11th October 2018, 12:29 AM
Mark maaate, got a 5000gal tank I want to move and put it up on the hill (gravity feed), recon this could have been the go mate. Just a bit far away from you, other wise could have had a job for ya.

katwoman
11th October 2018, 09:46 PM
Got any pics?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/200.jpg
Only one ATM. will have more tomorrow as Ute is going on the market next week

mudski
12th October 2018, 06:06 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/200.jpg
Only one ATM. will have more tomorrow as Ute is going on the market next week

I had to laugh, I saw a thumbnail of this pic in Tappa on my phone and I instantly knew where this pic was taken and I haven’t been there, or to that shop for probably 10 years I reckon.

Bidja
12th October 2018, 08:01 PM
Started modification to my JT cooler frame. Want to fit some rubber isolators between frame and cooler to hopefully dampen some of the resonance (noise) caused by the induction air passing thru the tube and fin core (turbulence) @ 26psi boost.

Removed cooler, started by modifying frame to lift cooler to provide more clearance between frame and cooler.

Also needed to increase the distance between the frame mounting lugs ( ie 30mm each, Fwd & Aft) so to fit 30mm dia x 30mm length rubbers isolators for mounting cooler to frame.

Put the rubber isolators onto original lugs so to determine brkt mod profiles and placement, made the new mounting lugs up out of some RHS laying around, jigged them up in place ready for welding tomorrow and then will cut away original lug excess. Coming together and figuring out as I go. So far good.

katwoman
13th October 2018, 05:58 PM
I had to laugh, I saw a thumbnail of this pic in Tappa on my phone and I instantly knew where this pic was taken and I haven’t been there, or to that shop for probably 10 years I reckon.

And it probably hasn’t changed a bit

mudski
14th October 2018, 07:41 PM
Took the Patrols pants off.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/219.jpg
Getting ready to put the Milweld bar on.

Bidja
14th October 2018, 08:17 PM
Completed mod to JT frame and installed (frame & cooler) back in veh. All went well and the resonance noise has completely gone.

Ended up lifting cooler relative to frame by 5mm, increased the clearance of rail under hot tank inlet to suit lift plus need to fit joiner. Used the 4 x Mackay Multicusion rubber isolators (M10303055) between frame and cooler and made up some rubber pads to fit between frame and veh body.
Even the boost went up one psi, have brought it back to 26psi running well.

mudski
14th October 2018, 09:08 PM
Completed mod to JT frame and installed (frame & cooler) back in veh. All went well and the resonance noise has completely gone.

Ended up lifting cooler relative to frame by 5mm, increased the clearance of rail under hot tank inlet to suit lift plus need to fit joiner. Used the 4 x Mackay Multicusion rubber isolators (M10303055) between frame and cooler and made up some rubber pads to fit between frame and veh body.
Even the boost went up one psi, have brought it back to 26psi running well.

I so need to do this to mine. 30+ psi of boost under full load and bloody noisy as hell in mine.

Bidja
14th October 2018, 09:25 PM
I so need to do this to mine. 30+ psi of boost under full load and bloody noisy as hell in mine.

What cooler do you have?

mudski
15th October 2018, 05:55 AM
What cooler do you have?

Cross Country ultimate cooler. Pretty much the same as yours. Except the bracket looks different.

Hodge
15th October 2018, 05:59 AM
Yep. Mine is the same. Cross country .
Under full boost I feel like I'm at the tulla airport plane lookout ...

Bidja
15th October 2018, 10:27 AM
Cross Country ultimate cooler. Pretty much the same as yours. Except the bracket looks different.

Yes CC & JT coolers they are very much the same build. JT does different inlet (hot side), for CRD only use the OEM 45 deg elbow to make the 90 deg bend hook up to turbo. JT cooler assy with fan no frame is 8.85kg.

Mine was terrible under load and boost above 20psi. As Hodge said like a jet plane.

TD42 and CRD frame may differ (not sure) but I had mine modified to accommodate 3" induction pipework. You need at least 5mm clearance between frame and cooler to allow for movement with the rubber isolators.

Can discuss mod further if suits. Has made such a difference it was hell on the hwy hauling.

AB
15th October 2018, 01:00 PM
Just drove in from an awesome 3 days on my own around Woodspoint!

Explored, prospect and hiked around finding some old miners settlements and old boilers, etc. one of the best trips I've done.

Nearly stood on a snake in the middle of nowhere hiking along one of the tracks.

Lockers saved me at one point heading down a seldom used track to explore an old mining spot.

Kind of scary on your own as the track got steeper and steeper with no way to turn around so fully committed and just enough room for a 10 point turn.

Would've been winching for hours without lockers. Photos doesn't do much.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/222.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/223.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/224.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/225.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/226.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/227.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/228.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/229.jpg

mudski
15th October 2018, 01:09 PM
Just drove in from an awesome 3 days on my own around Woodspoint!

Explored, prospect and hiked around finding some old miners settlements and old boilers, etc. one of the best trips I've done.

Nearly stood on a snake in the middle of nowhere hiking along one of the tracks.

Lockers saved me at one point heading down a seldom used track to explore an old mining spot.

Kind of scary on your own as the track got steeper and steeper with no way to turn around so fully committed and just enough room for a 10 point turn.

Would've been winching for hours without lockers. Photos doesn't do much.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/223.jpg

Would have loved to see this site 100 years ago. Nice paved area, might have had a home there I assume.

Bidja
15th October 2018, 02:22 PM
Andy, would have been some pleasant quiet times, even though some high adrenaline moments. Great bridge building.

Remember pocking around that general area yrs ago and came across some hop plants growing, must have been existing there for yrs and guess they were used for making yeast (hops and potatoes) to make beer.

Winnie
15th October 2018, 03:48 PM
Yeah that looks awesome AB and the weather was absolutely stunning for you. Very jealous mate

the evil twin
15th October 2018, 04:14 PM
My pulse started racing when you said you found some "old boilers"... then all I see is some big metal round thing... not one single pic of the RSL on pension day

AB
15th October 2018, 04:46 PM
I am never taking my Jack Russel away prospecting ever again lol

Bloody Jack kept wondering off into snake land and then tried to put him on the lead and the detector kept buzzing when he walked near it, bloody nightmare!

Rossco
15th October 2018, 04:51 PM
Awesome AB love that pic of the bridge. Yeah pretty cool just poking about exploring by yourself, have always meant to spend a bit more time around Woods Point so much stuff hidden out there. .

GQtdauto
15th October 2018, 05:04 PM
Give us the coordinates AB and I'll put it on the list looks like a fantastic spot .

MB
15th October 2018, 11:47 PM
I am never taking my Jack Russel away prospecting ever again lol

Bloody Jack kept wondering off into snake land and then tried to put him on the lead and the detector kept buzzing when he walked near it, bloody nightmare!

Home Safe & Sound Oldest Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
Definitely not a great quiet prospecting companion breed I agree. IIRC RB used to utilise them for suspended ceiling collar trace wiring runs. Hold a Cat or Rat up at the other end, lightweight bolt across them cardboard tiles and job done, remember ;-)

mudski
21st October 2018, 07:24 PM
Finished the rear bar off this morning. Then removed the rad and viscous hub as the hub is leaking, again. Cooling is a never ending issue it seems lately. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/264.jpg

Rossco
21st October 2018, 07:40 PM
Oooh very smart Markie looks awesome mate. [emoji4]

PeeBee
21st October 2018, 08:34 PM
Looks really smart Mark

MB
21st October 2018, 08:48 PM
Magnifico ElMarko Gringo [emoji106][emoji106]
Time now to debark that beautiful powder coat in your HC brother!!

mudski
22nd October 2018, 07:00 AM
Magnifico ElMarko Gringo [emoji106][emoji106]
Time now to debark that beautiful powder coat in your HC brother!!

Gotta sort this never ending stupid cooling issue and needs a tune first...

Hodge
22nd October 2018, 10:29 AM
Finished the rear bar off this morning. Then removed the rad and viscous hub as the hub is leaking, again. Cooling is a never ending issue it seems lately. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/264.jpg

Sent from my crapPhone using TapatalkGreat quality bar this is. Lined up absolutely perfect on Marks Patrol, give or take a few millimetres. I helped him fit it and saw and felt first hand the finish of it. The welds and the powder coat are class 1.
If you're in market for bar work , Millweld is the go people.

Stropp
23rd October 2018, 12:35 AM
Ha ha but in the dark ages when I worked for telecom one of the guys I worked with did that in multi story buildings 😊

MB
23rd October 2018, 06:55 AM
Must have been common practice Nationwide in that game back then Stropp mate :-)
Heard his mate retired the Russell’s in place of more modern radio controlled Jet Hopper car means by the 80’s.
Dare say there were a few OHS&Dog issues onsite in the ceilings that prompted new SWMS :-)

Hodge
23rd October 2018, 05:53 PM
Swapped a flasher relay to LED compatible one. Indicators clicking as they should now.

Also attempted to fit radius arm spacers , to push the front axle forward to clear the mud flaps.
Chassis on stands , jack under diff...
And then realised I don't have a deep enough 24mm ... ugh.
So I called it a day. Lol http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/540.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/541.jpg

PeeBee
23rd October 2018, 06:06 PM
Reading this with interest Hodge especially the method as I am up to do my radius arm spacers, good luck.

Hodge
23rd October 2018, 07:31 PM
Reading this with interest Hodge especially the method as I am up to do my radius arm spacers, good luck.Thanks PeeBee.
I'm just winging it as I go mate. It's all new to me.
My plan was to jack the chassis up and stand it , to take weight off the axle.
Then , chock the front wheels back and front so it doesn't runaway on me once radius arm is unbolted.
Remove the sway bar links away from the radius arm and then unbolt the arm itself. Stick a jack under the axle to lift accordingly if need be to allow the 2 axle bolts to come out easier.
Then remove or push the radius arm forward enough out of the chassis mount to slide the new washer on and then slide it back into the chassis . mudski gave me the heads up on a idea to put a ratchet straps around front of the car somewhere like bull bar brackets & the other end around the axle and then ratched the axle forward enough to align bolt holes etc ...

That's my grand plan anyway lol.

jay see
23rd October 2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks PeeBee.
I'm just winging it as I go mate. It's all new to me.
My plan was to jack the chassis up and stand it , to take weight off the axle.
Then , chock the front wheels back and front so it doesn't runaway on me once radius arm is unbolted.
Remove the sway bar links away from the radius arm and then unbolt the arm itself. Stick a jack under the axle to lift accordingly if need be to allow the 2 axle bolts to come out easier.
Then remove or push the radius arm forward enough out of the chassis mount to slide the new washer on and then slide it back into the chassis . mudski gave me the heads up on a idea to put a ratchet straps around front of the car somewhere like bull bar brackets & the other end around the axle and then ratched the axle forward enough to align bolt holes etc ...

That's my grand plan anyway lol.

Hodge mate, don't over think it.
It's pretty straight forward.
I used the jack to lower/raise the diff to line up the bolts.

mudski
23rd October 2018, 09:16 PM
Swapped a flasher relay to LED compatible one. Indicators clicking as they should now.

Also attempted to fit radius arm spacers , to push the front axle forward to clear the mud flaps.
Chassis on stands , jack under diff...
And then realised I don't have a deep enough 24mm ... ugh.
So I called it a day. Lol

I have a 24mm Ring/ Open ender I used for mine here your welcome too mate.

Hodge
24th October 2018, 10:40 AM
I have a 24mm Ring/ Open ender I used for mine here your welcome too mate.I do own one of them. But they're useless as the opening from under or the side don't allow much room to manourve the spanner.
Needs a deep socket with an extension and ratchet from the rear opening.

Bidja
24th October 2018, 11:11 AM
I do own one of them. But they're useless as the opening from under or the side don't allow much room to manourve the spanner.
Needs a deep socket with an extension and ratchet from the rear opening.

Throw up a couple of pics mate. Be good

NZ42
24th October 2018, 09:18 PM
Fitted water meth kit by Snow proformance. fingers crossed

PeeBee
25th October 2018, 07:03 AM
Fitted water meth kit by Snow proformance. fingers crossed

What motor and kit are you matching?

mudski
30th October 2018, 07:33 AM
Wasn’t today but Sunday. I had to replace the reverse camera on the small barn door. So while I was at it I made up a new plastic seal thingo for the door, sikaflexed up any holes in the door to try and stop the exhaust leaking into the cab. Didn’t work though. I also removed the inner door handle. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/611.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/612.jpg

Now to find where this exhaust leak is... I have to drive with the air on recirculate all the time otherwise when I stop moving I get a nose full of exhaust fumes.

PeeBee
30th October 2018, 10:53 AM
Does the GU have vents in the rear quarter panel/outer skin like the GQ? This is where I find a bit of dust entering my vehicle. Might be a spot where exhaust is recirculating?

mudski
30th October 2018, 11:16 AM
Does the GU have vents in the rear quarter panel/outer skin like the GQ? This is where I find a bit of dust entering my vehicle. Might be a spot where exhaust is recirculating?

Yeah they do. I'll tape them up and see if it makes a difference. I'm also going to change the direction of the exhaust tip so it comes out just behind the mudflap.

PeeBee
30th October 2018, 11:18 AM
I also notice your door seal is hanging down, maybe another entry point?

mudski
30th October 2018, 12:55 PM
I also notice your door seal is hanging down, maybe another entry point?

Thats how its shaped to the door. Just looks like its hanging off. All new seals on every door maybe 2 years ago.

Avo
30th October 2018, 03:30 PM
Wasn’t today but Sunday. I had to replace the reverse camera on the small barn door. So while I was at it I made up a new plastic seal thingo for the door, sikaflexed up any holes in the door to try and stop the exhaust leaking into the cab. Didn’t work though. I also removed the inner door handle. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/611.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/612.jpg

Now to find where this exhaust leak is... I have to drive with the air on recirculate all the time otherwise when I stop moving I get a nose full of exhaust fumes.

Sent from my crapPhone using TapatalkBack seat bolt holes maybe...i put mine back in after removin third row seats

Hodge
30th October 2018, 04:04 PM

Sent from my crapPhone using TapatalkCould it be coming from the front somewhere ?

When my EGR pipe cracked on the old patrol it was pretty evident inside .

Yours be at turbo maybe or manifold ...

mudski
30th October 2018, 04:16 PM
Could it be coming from the front somewhere ?

When my EGR pipe cracked on the old patrol it was pretty evident inside .

Yours be at turbo maybe or manifold ...

Yeah I'm begining to think this. I will have to take a closer look towards the front.

mudnut
30th October 2018, 04:28 PM
I have recently serviced both front hubs, but had a bit of a parking mishap last week, where the front left tyre hit the gutter a bit harder than normal. The dreaded wobbles at around 80ks were just starting to occur, so I checked the bearing for movement and sure enough, I had to nip up the pre-load a fair bit.

Finezy
31st October 2018, 01:12 PM
Gave the old girl a very overdue bit of TLC, she was looking pretty sad for a while.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/619.jpg

Bob
31st October 2018, 01:43 PM
Gave the old girl a very overdue bit of TLC, she was looking pretty sad for a while.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/619.jpg

Smicko …..

jay see
31st October 2018, 09:24 PM
Same as the last 3 nights after work.

Diff oil change. Getting betterhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/628.jpg

rusty_nail
1st November 2018, 04:21 AM
Yeah I'm begining to think this. I will have to take a closer look towards the front.

hows the seal around your gear stick? probably the biggest point of entry near to the exhaust?

mudski
1st November 2018, 06:56 AM
hows the seal around your gear stick? probably the biggest point of entry near to the exhaust?

All fairly new too...

Yeti's Beast
1st November 2018, 07:32 AM
Changed both my engine mounts last night. Can’t talk about it as I’m still too traumatized by the experience

mudski
1st November 2018, 08:23 AM
Changed both my engine mounts last night. Can’t talk about it as I’m still too traumatized by the experience

Lemme guess. ZD30. RHS is a royal PIA to do.

Yeti's Beast
1st November 2018, 08:28 AM
Lemme guess. ZD30. RHS is a royal PIA to do.

Yep
But I actually found the left harder.
I ended up taking the top brackets off the block because with the engine was hard up against the fire wall. My neighbor suggested undo the gear box cross member but that achieved zip. Just more stress.
Getting those bolts out of the brackets is impossible but I got there eventually.
The difference is amazing. It’s like a new car.
Shame I’m selling the car and won’t get to drive it now. It was picked up during the RWC

mudski
1st November 2018, 08:50 AM
Yep
But I actually found the left harder.
I ended up taking the top brackets off the block because with the engine was hard up against the fire wall. My neighbor suggested undo the gear box cross member but that achieved zip. Just more stress.
Getting those bolts out of the brackets is impossible but I got there eventually.
The difference is amazing. It’s like a new car.
Shame I’m selling the car and won’t get to drive it now. It was picked up during the RWC

From memory doing mine, I loosened the body mount bolts so I could lift the motor up higher. I only did the left on mine but doing a mates GU both were a nightmare. RHS worse I found.

Yeti's Beast
1st November 2018, 09:38 AM
From memory doing mine, I loosened the body mount bolts so I could lift the motor up higher. I only did the left on mine but doing a mates GU both were a nightmare. RHS worse I found.

Stupid Nissan, put in a hydraulic mount which worked well but the design of the fittings leave you wondering why.
It’s like they never thought it would need replacing.
Step one, fit mount to chassis
Step 2 fit bracket to block
Step 3 lower engine into engine bay and secure mounts
Step 4 hope it never needs replacing

threedogs
1st November 2018, 11:27 AM
Had the Auto serviced this morning on the mighty GU

Avo
1st November 2018, 10:11 PM
Thought about washing it

jay see
2nd November 2018, 03:45 PM
Nothing yet, but after walking pass and seeing this.....

Looks like engine oil, couldn't see from where it's coming from, any ideas... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/4.jpg

Hodge
2nd November 2018, 03:56 PM
Nothing yet, but after walking pass and seeing this.....

Looks like engine oil, couldn't see from where it's coming from, any ideas... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/4.jpg

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkYou sure it isn't power steering oil ???

jay see
2nd November 2018, 04:24 PM
You sure it isn't power steering oil ???

Sent from my SM-N920I using TapatalkHaven't had a chance to had a proper look. Just ran my finger over it. Did see the p/s hoses and they are dry.

GQtdauto
2nd November 2018, 04:45 PM
If it's power steering oil the level should have dropped a fair bit ,I'm looking at putting a kit in mine but having trouble working out which kit and why the big difference in price between them .
By the look of all that oil you should be able to work it out from the colour .

jay see
2nd November 2018, 04:57 PM
OK. First check was p/s level and yes it's low. Then clean around, started and looked. Seeping out of the top.

Just bad timing or would the dirty bath have anything to do with it.

How to fix. Just tighten or has a seal gone.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/5.jpg

Hodge
2nd November 2018, 05:14 PM
Wombat forest 1 - 0 jay see

jay see
2nd November 2018, 05:24 PM
Nah, mate 3-0

Everytime I go there.

Hydronic locked a surf.

Custom dents on the passenger side.

And now this.

Anyone tried one of those stop leaks?

Hodge
3rd November 2018, 10:52 AM
Thought I'd fit the radius arm spacers today ...
Lucky I started on the passenger side.
Spacer in. And axle fouls on the Panhard rod.
F*** a duck.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/9.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/10.jpg

jay see
3rd November 2018, 06:30 PM
Looking at the power steering can someone tell me which is the return line top or bottom?
The front coolers are stone cold after a drive, I want to flush the system then try this stuff apparently it's meant to work.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/13.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/14.jpg

GQtdauto
3rd November 2018, 06:38 PM
Will be watching this because mine is leaking badly but think I need the rebuild kit .

nissannewby
3rd November 2018, 07:04 PM
Looking at the power steering can someone tell me which is the return line top or bottom?
The front coolers are stone cold after a drive, I want to flush the system then try this stuff apparently it's meant to work.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/13.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/14.jpg

Low pressure will be the line that goes out to the cooler.

jay see
3rd November 2018, 07:25 PM
Will be watching this because mine is leaking badly but think I need the rebuild kit .Will keep you posted.

This is my daily, so if a band aid fix will work, that's good enough for now.

jay see
3rd November 2018, 07:34 PM
Low pressure will be the line that goes out to the cooler.So if I get that line and block it off before it goes to the reservoir, then start engine and continuously top up the reservoir unti it comes clean out of the same line.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's a bit hard to explain, but I think I've got it right in my head.

nissannewby
3rd November 2018, 07:39 PM
So if I get that line and block it off before it goes to the reservoir, then start engine and continuously top up the reservoir unti it comes clean out of the same line.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's a bit hard to explain, but I think I've got it right in my head.

Well kind of. Grab the line that goes into the little tube that comes out the side of the reservoir. Take this off and place into a bucket. Disconnect fuel solenoid as the pump will pump quicker than you can fill if the engine is running. Crank it a little and top up fluid with fresh stuff until its clean out the return line.

Yeti's Beast
3rd November 2018, 09:31 PM
Said good bye to my Patrol for the last time [emoji22]

Yeti's Beast
3rd November 2018, 10:22 PM
Said good bye to my Patrol for the last time [emoji22]

And replaced it with this
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/17.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/18.jpg

jay see
4th November 2018, 09:55 AM
Well kind of. Grab the line that goes into the little tube that comes out the side of the reservoir. Take this off and place into a bucket. Disconnect fuel solenoid as the pump will pump quicker than you can fill if the engine is running. Crank it a little and top up fluid with fresh stuff until its clean out the return line.Well I done that, oil looks like it has gone through coming out the return line red as the new stuff. So why am I getting this leak of dirty oil coming from the threaded shaft on top of the box.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/19.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/20.jpg

jay see
4th November 2018, 09:57 AM
Thought I'd fit the radius arm spacers today ...
Lucky I started on the passenger side.
Spacer in. And axle fouls on the Panhard rod.
F*** a duck.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/9.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/10.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using TapatalkHow did you go.... I haven't fitted spacers so not much help from me.

jay see
4th November 2018, 10:37 AM
Does anybody know what's under this plate. Can't seem to find it, not even in the manual.
Thinking that there has to be a o ring or something. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/21.jpg

nissannewby
4th November 2018, 10:46 AM
Does anybody know what's under this plate. Can't seem to find it, not even in the manual.
Thinking that there has to be a o ring or something. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/21.jpg

Your thinking is correct. Looking at this drawing you should not have power steering fluid at that adjuster. Looks like the box needs a reseal. The oil will be dirty from the grease in there hence the grease nipple. 76803

jay see
4th November 2018, 11:01 AM
Your thinking is correct. Looking at this drawing you should not have power steering fluid at that adjuster. Looks like the box needs a reseal. The oil will be dirty from the grease in there hence the grease nipple. 76803Thanks mate, I couldn't find a diagram like that. should be able to pop up the plate a replace the o ring yeah?

Will keep updating progress.

nissannewby
4th November 2018, 11:05 AM
Thanks mate, I couldn't find a diagram like that. should be able to pop up the plate a replace the o ring yeah?

Will keep updating progress.

Should be possible. You will have to remove that nut to do so. Measure the thread poking out the top before removing so you can put it back where it was. I'm not sure that o-ring will resolve your leak though.

jay see
4th November 2018, 11:21 AM
Should be possible. You will have to remove that nut to do so. Measure the thread poking out the top before removing so you can put it back where it was. I'm not sure that o-ring will resolve your leak though.So I need to remove the thread as well?

jay see
4th November 2018, 12:08 PM
Well that thread screws down. Problem is the whole box needs to come out.

Might put it back together and just regease it for now.... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/22.jpg

jay see
4th November 2018, 12:37 PM
I've got wheel bearing grease, will that be alright?

Hodge
5th November 2018, 09:56 AM
How did you go.... I haven't fitted spacers so not much help from me.

Basically that gap in photo is WITHOUT spacers and is 5mm max. Spacer is 10-12mm.
Unbolting the arm and pushing diff forward that 5mm fouls on the panhard rod. Does not want to go any further.
I might have another go tomorrow.
But, I'm not sure it'll work. Mudski reckons take off the panhard rod on that side, fit arm and spacer and tighten up the rod and see.
So, weather depending, we'll see what happens.

Quick google reveals I am not the only one. And the superior product page mentions this as well.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76806&stc=1

mudski
5th November 2018, 11:52 AM
Basically that gap in photo is WITHOUT spacers and is 5mm max. Spacer is 10-12mm.
Unbolting the arm and pushing diff forward that 5mm fouls on the panhard rod. Does not want to go any further.
But, I'm not sure it'll work. Mudski reckons take off the panhard rod on that side, fit arm and spacer and tighten up the rod and see.

Quick google reveals I am not the only one. And the superior product page mentions this as well.

I'll have a look at mine when I get home from work. I cant see why the bracket would be different from mine to yours...

Bidja
5th November 2018, 12:04 PM

Mine GUIV 2" lift / 2 Deg caster correction and provides 9-10mm gap/clearance (rod to brkt side face). Do not know your lift / or correction (if any). IMO, if lifted w/o caster correction, clearance would be less. Caster correction lifts caster bush center up therefore rotates axle housing top/brkt to rear increasing clearance between Panhard rod and brkt located on axle housing.

Forgot : No Radius Arm spacers fitted / or mud flaps... lol.

Hodge
5th November 2018, 07:02 PM
Mine GUIV 2" lift / 2 Deg caster correction and provides 9-10mm gap/clearance (rod to brkt side face). Do not know your lift / or correction (if any). IMO, if lifted w/o caster correction, clearance would be less. Caster correction lifts caster bush center up therefore rotates axle housing top/brkt to rear increasing clearance between Panhard rod and brkt located on axle housing.

Forgot : No Radius Arm spacers fitted / or mud flaps... lol.I have the castor off set bushes.
Other than that it's just a basic OME 45mm lift.
As it sits , it's 5-6mm gap.
Didn't get a chance to do nothing today , tomorrow won't be much different.

Bidja
5th November 2018, 07:49 PM
OK, same as mine and similar clearance.

Do you have adjustable panhard rod? Mine is OEM stock and have noted that the passenger side wheel axle center is positioned approx 40mm closer to the guard face where flap mounts as compared to the drivers side. This could be caused by the lift and the fact that I still have the stock panhard rod. This has not caused any drive or tyre wear issue it just annoys me. I am not sure how the axle alignment changes with corrected panhard rod length to suit lift.

threedogs
6th November 2018, 01:50 PM
Been removing some boost since I got the mighty GU back.
after talking with mudski decided 25psi was a tad high so trying to get it to about 18psi.
Still goes like all stink imo egts are low about 150 - 200 degrees
Plus my mate at Outback 4WD is fitting my rear shock tower bolt on kit [Superior[
and also fitting an 85ltr water tank ,pump and switched spout to my Hilix tub camper
That will help balance to camper better.
Need heaps of jobs done hopefully all before Xmas

PeeBee
6th November 2018, 03:29 PM
Installed a 12V fuel pressure transmitter and gauge between final fuel filter and injector block. Sits at a steady 10psi at idle then holds at 8psi right up to WOT position, which is as expected.

Hodge
6th November 2018, 03:58 PM

Do you have adjustable panhard rod? Mine is OEM stock and have noted that the passenger side wheel axle center is positioned approx 40mm closer to the guard face where flap mounts as compared to the drivers side. This could be caused by the lift and the fact that I still have the stock panhard rod. This has not caused any drive or tyre wear issue it just annoys me. I am not sure how the axle alignment changes with corrected panhard rod length to suit lift.No, mine is factory panhard. And looking around the car , everything seems symmetrical.

jay see
6th November 2018, 04:03 PM
After putting the streeing box back together I left it alone. Today I went for a 15min drive focusing on turning. Got back and had a look.

Dry.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/26.jpg

threedogs
7th November 2018, 01:28 PM

Do you have adjustable panhard rod? Mine is OEM stock and have noted that the passenger side wheel axle center is positioned approx 40mm closer to the guard face where flap mounts as compared to the drivers side. This could be caused by the lift and the fact that I still have the stock panhard rod. This has not caused any drive or tyre wear issue it just annoys me. I am not sure how the axle alignment changes with corrected panhard rod length to suit lift.

Have you talked to a wheel alignment place mainly a 4x4 shop close to you

Bidja
7th November 2018, 03:46 PM
Have you talked to a wheel alignment place mainly a 4x4 shop close to you

Noticed first approx 5yr ago, about same time as had caster correction bushes fitted and whl alignment. Recently put 33" tyres on and rubbed flap. Will go back to the alignment joint see what they say.

Had the car since new should be straight, have only hit two roos, one large one but he went along outside of that guard, the side rails took most of the brunt and only needed minor panel work(guard & door).

threedogs
7th November 2018, 04:49 PM
Roo's are not fun Ive hit 2, biggest was just out of birdsville slammed
on the brakes and when he hit i took my foot off the brakes sending
him flying through the air, lucky no damage but awesome driving IMHO
lol

jay see
10th November 2018, 09:11 PM
Spent a little more time cleaning up form the mess I made a few weeks ago.

Pulled off all the door trims barn doors too, washed them and inside bottom of the doors. All of the plastic sheets that's behind the trim looked like they've never been off, well not until now.

Power steering box has stopped leaking whatever it was leaking out. All other fluids are OK.

A/c bearing doesn't seem to be that bad so I'll just monitor it.

Sway bar wasn't snapped on the last trip. I noticed that the front corner was sitting lower a few months ago and just didn't do anything about it. I took it out today and sitting level again.

Still to do.

Front diff, check hubs
Degease/wash engine, bay and car.
Buy and fit new carpet.
Buy and fit diff breathers.

Transfer case and transmission got breathers correct, that where the 4 way port kit gets used.

First time that I've drowned a car like this and the last that's for sure.

Also planning on getting the clubsport on the road and registered before Xmas

PeeBee
11th November 2018, 07:36 AM
If you pull the carpet out and thoroughly clean and then dry it, the stuff you would probably repace is the underlay, then refit the carpet, unless its so cheap to replace the entire lot. That JingPing stuff is great insulation and closed cell I believe, so it won't absorb water if you do this again.

jay see
11th November 2018, 11:04 AM
If you pull the carpet out and thoroughly clean and then dry it, the stuff you would probably repace is the underlay, then refit the carpet, unless its so cheap to replace the entire lot. That JingPing stuff is great insulation and closed cell I believe, so it won't absorb water if you do this again.The carpet has stains and a hole in front of the accelerator pedal. $165 for new carpet just no sure if that includes underlay. mudski.
Not planning on doing it again.

It's been a good excuse to give the car a good clean, done inside all the door jams yesterday as well.

Hodge
15th November 2018, 06:23 PM
A few things accomplished today.

Added oil to the viscous hub for better G35 fan lockup. Bit of a mission.
Enormous thanks to mudski for the guide , help and the hub studs today mate.
Also added some foam surrounds to the radiator , which I didn't even know were meant to be there . Again thanks for mudski for pointing this out and providing some spare foam.

mudski
18th November 2018, 07:42 PM
New Koyorad radiator in today. New water pump gasket, and about 6ml more silicone hub oil in the viscous hub. Plus while everything was out I soaked the a/c condensor in CT18 and then pressure washed it out. More dirt than expected came out. Hopefully this helps with the ol'kettle.

mudski
18th November 2018, 07:43 PM
A few things accomplished today.

Added oil to the viscous hub for better G35 fan lockup. Bit of a mission.
Enormous thanks to mudski for the guide , help and the hub studs today mate.
Also added some foam surrounds to the radiator , which I didn't even know were meant to be there . Again thanks for mudski for pointing this out and providing some spare foam.

Hey I got to give my new'ish tap and die set a go mate. Dunno if you could tell but I enjoyed it. Lol.

Winnie
18th November 2018, 07:55 PM
New Koyorad radiator in today. New water pump gasket, and about 6ml more silicone hub oil in the viscous hub. Plus while everything was out I soaked the a/c condensor in CT18 and then pressure washed it out. More dirt than expected came out. Hopefully this helps with the ol'kettle.Interesting as Patrolapart recommended me to use silicone instead of a gasket for the water pump, it gets the fins closer to the timing case and helps with flow and cavitation apparently.

mudski
18th November 2018, 08:04 PM
Interesting as Patrolapart recommended me to use silicone instead of a gasket for the water pump, it gets the fins closer to the timing case and helps with flow and cavitation apparently.

Geez the difference would be less than quater a millimetre Chris. Considering the Gasket is a bee's dick over that. I doubt that would make a difference. But who knows for sure.

PeeBee
18th November 2018, 08:07 PM
Geez the difference would be less than quater a millimetre Chris. Considering the Gasket is a bee's dick over that. I doubt that would make a difference. But who knows for sure.

I agree. The gasket is a designated spacer of known thickness, where the silicone is anyones guess and if too thin may not seal for long anyway.

MB
18th November 2018, 08:10 PM
Silicone/Silastic would better seal pitting I would imagine?

PeeBee
19th November 2018, 10:29 AM
Silicone/Silastic would better seal pitting I would imagine?

Can see the point, however the gasket is a surface seal, clamped with uniform pressure - or it should be if the thing is torqued correctly, so in theory, the pitting would be covered unless it goes to the edges of the hole and you have a channel from inside to outside, then a liquid seal would be better. Solid gaskets are not designed to deform as such, more cater for surface roughness values at best - I know sounds contradictory, but they will deform on a smallish level, not fill up depressions.

bazzaboy
19th November 2018, 10:50 AM
Replaced the filter in my ProVent catch can. Old one looked OK for 80,000klms, the recommended replacement frequency.

threedogs
19th November 2018, 01:25 PM
Had a spazmotic idle when cold, ranging up to 770rpm.
Disconnected the start battery and sprayed tho MAF.
All seems to be OK now, happy with the outcome

mudski
19th November 2018, 07:37 PM
Replaced the filter in my ProVent catch can. Old one looked OK for 80,000klms, the recommended replacement frequency.

I swap mine out at every 5k service and wash the old one ready for the next change. They obviously last longer than 5k but I just made it part of my service so I dont forget about it.

Baby Daddy
21st November 2018, 11:33 AM
It broke down for the first time on the weekend since its conversion.
10,000 kay in on some hardcore trips including , snow, west tassie, high country and some hard core day trips...

I dont know what it is but will get to it eventually

https://youtu.be/NA1yj32XRvc

AB
21st November 2018, 06:24 PM
It broke down for the first time on the weekend since its conversion.
10,000 kay in on some hardcore trips including , snow, west tassie, high country and some hard core day trips...

I dont know what it is but will get to it eventually

https://youtu.be/NA1yj32XRvc

Bugger mate, that wouldv'e been a pricey recovery but what a beast of a recovery vehicle!

PeeBee
21st November 2018, 06:27 PM
I saw that vehicle drag a land rover out of the Caledonia River via Dingo Hill, did it like a walk in the park, amazing machines

AB
21st November 2018, 06:49 PM
I saw that vehicle drag a land rover out of the Caledonia River via Dingo Hill, did it like a walk in the park, amazing machines

He got pulled up Grimme Track, that would be a hard slog pulling someone up that!

PeeBee
21st November 2018, 06:53 PM
He got pulled up Grimme Track, that would be a hard slog pulling someone up that!

Funny thing was the footage looks pretty tame - not what I remember though going the other . Sure its steep but looked dry and 'grippy'.

AB
21st November 2018, 06:57 PM
Funny thing was the footage looks pretty tame - not what I remember though going the other . Sure its steep but looked dry and 'grippy'.

Yeah it doesn't even remotely look steep in the vid until I saw the sign at the end.

Winnie
21st November 2018, 07:21 PM
Yep that would be a bastard of a spot to break down!

Baby Daddy
21st November 2018, 08:46 PM
Yeah grimme track is where it happened. Litreally turned it off to help someone on the winch then wouldnt start...

Unfortuantely videos just dont do this track any justice.
In the section i was about to start to drive it is fairly steep and also rocky.
Wouldnt wanna come across this track with 40mm of rain

GQtdauto
23rd November 2018, 04:29 PM
Drivers side door wouldn't open from the inside ,found to be a broken plastic guide clip which I've just tek screwed a plastic cable holder in its place .

New stereo with GPS finally in just have trouble with the Hema card for some reason but will transfer data to USB pen and try it again , slide out touch screen hits the gear stick but will live with it for now .

Hodge
24th November 2018, 07:50 AM
New stereo with GPS finally in just have trouble with the Hema card for some reason but will transfer data to USB pen and try it again , slide out touch screen hits the gear stick but will live with it for now .

Hey mate. Keep the Aldi deck receipt very close. That unit failed on me twice, each time after 2 weeks of usage. The screen motor just died.
I really liked the head unit and simple features but, I got sick of taking it back and getting it replaced. That's if you're lucky for them to have replacement stock.

I wish there was a way to simply keep the screen deployed and not let it whir in and out all the time.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76940&stc=1

GQtdauto
24th November 2018, 08:31 AM
Have read they have problems , this one was put into my daughters car and used for about a year then removed when she changed cars so it might be ok but not expecting much .

Hodge
24th November 2018, 09:06 AM
Have read they have problems , this one was put into my daughters car and used for about a year then removed when she changed cars so it might be ok but not expecting much .Hopefully it works for you.
I really really like that unit. I like it's single din and screen sits higher as I have where the current Gu unit is , well below eye level. And then I had my UHF unit in the second slot below.
Shame when my second one broke they had no stock so I had to find an alternative.

GQtdauto
24th November 2018, 12:16 PM
Up the shed all morning trying to fix a problem with drivers side mirror , too much angle up and too much angle backwards so while I had the door card off I gave it some angle grinder surgery .
Happy enough with the up down angle but could have gone a smidgen more forwards .