PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

MB
15th April 2017, 04:15 PM
MudRunnerTD , thanks to your kind advice and your mate Phil @ 'The 4WD Shed' I too soon will officially be a 'BigMouth' after a little bit more custom/cutting work to Mill's new creation.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/126.jpg I'll still need to learn from you mate that safe knot for broken new age rope as my old cable hi-mount was given a serious birthday by Phil too :-) He's braced up the +76 drum beautifully that I hauled back from the UK and 45m of 12mm Aussie made 'Whittam' rope going on soon! Thanks heaps Darren, appreciated mate :-) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay see
15th April 2017, 06:00 PM
Not finished didn't have enough pop rivets. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/131.jpg

PeeBee
15th April 2017, 06:17 PM
MudRunnerTD , thanks to your kind advice and your mate Phil @ 'The 4WD Shed' I too soon will officially be a 'BigMouth' after a little bit more custom/cutting work to Mill's new creation.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/126.jpg I'll still need to learn from you mate that safe knot for broken new age rope as my old cable hi-mount was given a serious birthday by Phil too :-) He's braced up the +76 drum beautifully that I hauled back from the UK and 45m of 12mm Aussie made 'Whittam' rope going on soon! Thanks heaps Darren, appreciated mate :-) !!

Mark, can you give a wider shot - I want t see what you are doing with theoilcoolers, also are you going to cut back the bar opening so the rope can't rub on it ? You certainly have opened up the radiator area - look good

PeeBee
15th April 2017, 06:21 PM
Finally finished the PTO - Hydraulic pump bracket, fully installed and tightish on the exhaust (20mm clearance), but a couple of wraps of insulating blanket on the exhaust should resolve. Cut the floor for the actuator to the RH side of the gear stick, installed the actuator lever assy - another fiddly job with a Dremmel to cut the floor out. Final tasks are to get new hoses made for the system, seal the hole into the cabin for the actuator, and work out how to run the actuator cable because the PTO is upside down.

Spent the day on the truck again under the pretext of preparing some ovens for sale - got 6 hrs out of that diversion! Anyway, sorted the linkage mechanism out and extended the PTO cable assy, so now the PTO operates and drives the pump - just have to sort out the hoses and fittings - MB, who do I talk to regards this, based on the massive cost of the last set of hoses from ENZED. I need circa 1/2" hose x 2m and 3/8 hose x 2m with connectors to tie into the existing lines.

GQtdauto
15th April 2017, 06:34 PM
Not finished didn't have enough pop rivets. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/131.jpg

I just brought some plastic containers which fit three to a drawer perfect , put them under fridge slide and the other side have tools etc and will partition off length wise so I can fit a couple of Cannons in .

stevemc181
15th April 2017, 06:38 PM
Installed the Tillix boost controller along with the needle valve and EGR Block. Threw one code due to the EGR, cleared no problem with Torque Pro. Pretty happy overall with the difference in spool up rate and performance but still some fine tuning to do. EGR's are lower and boost comes on much earlier. I've got max boost set to about 18psi and seems to be no problems.

threedogs
15th April 2017, 08:16 PM
Spent the day on the truck again under the pretext of preparing some ovens for sale - got 6 hrs out of that diversion! Anyway, sorted the linkage mechanism out and extended the PTO cable assy, so now the PTO operates and drives the pump - just have to sort out the hoses and fittings - MB, who do I talk to regards this, based on the massive cost of the last set of hoses from ENZED. I need circa 1/2" hose x 2m and 3/8 hose x 2m with connectors to tie into the existing lines.

Any way you can just buy the fittings and do it yourself.
Have made quite a few hydraulic hoses over the years

PeeBee
15th April 2017, 10:47 PM
Any way you can just buy the fittings and do it yourself.
Have made quite a few hydraulic hoses over the years

100psi, no problem, 3000psi, not a chance!

nissannewby
16th April 2017, 12:13 AM
100psi, no problem, 3000psi, not a chance!

Re-usable ends will go to the working pressure of a hose easy

PeeBee
16th April 2017, 03:38 AM
Re-usable ends will go to the working pressure of a hose easy

Have you got a link to these? I am assuming they don't need crimping?

GQtdauto
16th April 2017, 08:13 AM
Had the on John Deere tractor hydraulics but no idea of working pressure , very similar to the old reusable fittings on oxy / acetylene hoses , the barb part screws inside the hose and the outer screws over the outside sort of crushing and biting as it goes .
They only failed at the join if allowed to swing freely for to long , used to tie up the slack with hay bale twine .

PeeBee
16th April 2017, 10:35 AM
Had the on John Deere tractor hydraulics but no idea of working pressure , very similar to the old reusable fittings on oxy / acetylene hoses , the barb part screws inside the hose and the outer screws over the outside sort of crushing and biting as it goes .
They only failed at the join if allowed to swing freely for to long , used to tie up the slack with hay bale twine .

Ok, I will have a look at them, but if I can get the details of the hose fittings currently in use, I can get the hoses made up and fit myself. I like the idea of the crimp fitting, even though these hoses will remain static in location and not be exposed to any movement fatigue. I did have a look on google and recall seeing these fittings in use. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
Phil

GQtdauto
16th April 2017, 11:10 AM
These are the type of fittings I was talking about .
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/reusable-hydraulic-fittings

GQtdauto
16th April 2017, 11:13 AM
Oops , one disappeared so put another up and now have two , someone please delete one .

nissannewby
16th April 2017, 11:19 AM
Have you got a link to these? I am assuming they don't need crimping?

http://www.mhfgc.com.au/index.php/products/shop-online#!/Field-Fit-reusable-Straight-Tail-x-JIC-Female-Various-Sizes/p/53195531/category=14524205

Field service attachables/ reusables.

nissannewby
16th April 2017, 11:21 AM
Ok, I will have a look at them, but if I can get the details of the hose fittings currently in use, I can get the hoses made up and fit myself. I like the idea of the crimp fitting, even though these hoses will remain static in location and not be exposed to any movement fatigue. I did have a look on google and recall seeing these fittings in use. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
Phil

If you send me pics and measurements I might be able to help you out.

PeeBee
16th April 2017, 02:21 PM
If you send me pics and measurements I might be able to help you out.

Thanks for that. I have to work tomorrow and have one of the contractors who does machining at a hydraulic company in Melb. I will see if he can identify them first then sort out which way to go. Now its so close am itching to get it sorted and put to bed.

GQtdauto
16th April 2017, 06:51 PM
Played with the solar regulator , the settings are adjustable and it turns out the setting for charge was 13.7 volts for some reason , why do I always throw the manufacturers recommendations away before reading them .

GQtdauto
19th April 2017, 05:59 PM
Started on the wiring for the trans oil gauge , all hooked up bar the sensor wire and the sensor , I will buy another banjo bolt and have it drilled and tapped for the sensor and then swap them over .
While I had the fuse box out and the shrouds of the steering wheel column I'm going to run left and right blinkers to the new mirrors so I'm going to run the wires now into the front doors .

GQtdauto
20th April 2017, 06:48 PM
Blinker wires done , trans oil gauge mounted and all wires except sensor are hooked up .
Spent hours trying to get the wires through the rubber conduit in the doors and ended up cracking the shits and have run them alongside the conduit and using small cable ties fixed the wire to the conduit .

Rossco
20th April 2017, 07:05 PM

Hey markie looks pretty mint can't wait to see this baby in action. I've just used a double fisherman's before on winch rope, not sure if it's theres a better option but it's certainly not going to come undone in a hurry. . .

https://youtu.be/O6oJwedcb18

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

MB
20th April 2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks heaps Rossco mate! Was also thinking my old 100lb handreel fishing 'Thumb Knot' days could work. I think it is the same as what you kindly posted then. Absolute line pressure was on the two line ends and not the knot itself so to speak :-) From memory my old fishing book reckoned the 80lb +++ suitable thumb knot would retain over 80% line strength as best I remember ;-)

AB
20th April 2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks heaps Rossco mate! Was also thinking my old 100lb handreel fishing 'Thumb Knot' days could work. I think it is the same as what you kindly posted then. Absolute line pressure was on the two line ends and not the knot itself so to speak :-) From memory my old fishing book reckoned the 80lb +++ suitable thumb knot would retain over 80% line strength as best I remember ;-)

Nah splicing rope is what you should do for a breakage and can easily be done on the track.

A good splice is stronger than the rest of the rope and won't ruin the spool flow or jam up.

Video below for a fixed eye...
https://youtu.be/Q22wgYZL9f0

End for end splice below for breakage.
I followed this vid on mine and has never let me down...

https://youtu.be/yjhBEe_8XHg

This guy has some other good vids too...

Rossco
20th April 2017, 08:00 PM
Yeah splice is nice. Reckon its quick & easy enough to do on the trail in a pickle tho ? . . Depends on how quick your sinking I guess. .

AB
20th April 2017, 08:14 PM
Yeah splice is nice. Reckon its quick & easy enough to do on the trail in a pickle tho ? . . Depends on how quick your sinking I guess. .

Oh for sure, if time is tight go for it.

I actually taped a texter lids to my ends and it slid through the rope pretty quick but yeah if time is of the essence...

Hodge
20th April 2017, 08:19 PM
Wish I paid more attention back at trade school. Some of the linesman rope splices they taught us were incredible.
It's a dying knowledge. All our ropes nowdays come mainly pre terminated however we want it to.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

MB
20th April 2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah splice is nice. Reckon its quick & easy enough to do on the trail in a pickle tho ? . . Depends on how quick your sinking I guess. . Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk Not that I'm looking to go comp trucking but the 'BigMouth' advice was from pro's purely for quick 'hopefully' safe knots to be able to pass through the fairlead if the need was to unfortunately urgenty arise as suggested above Rossco :-)

PeeBee
20th April 2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that. I have to work tomorrow and have one of the contractors who does machining at a hydraulic company in Melb. I will see if he can identify them first then sort out which way to go. Now its so close am itching to get it sorted and put to bed.

I had my contractor mate sort out the fittings on Monday, just waiting for the parts now. He just looked at them and knew exactly what size they were, so all good. All jic fittings.

MB
20th April 2017, 09:32 PM
"Jic" fittings Phil mate? Please explain :-) May help the final piece to my oil cooler puzzle :-) Cheers!

PeeBee
20th April 2017, 09:45 PM
"Jic" fittings Phil mate? Please explain :-) May help the final piece to my oil cooler puzzle :-) Cheers!

'AN' fittings refer to a style or thread form used by the army/navy in USA, JIC fittings are just a different style and thread form and format. To be honest the specifics are probably best left to the hydraulics guys to resolve as some fittings are tapered and others flat faced with 'o rings' etc. if you take the coolers down to a hose fitting guy he will know exactly what works with what.

MB
20th April 2017, 09:51 PM
Sweet, thanks for that mate. My coolers are 1/2" British BSB and Yanky donk + Oil thermo 1/2" NPT. Pirtek and Nissannewby confirmed I should be alright with 55 v 60 pitch just intrigued about 'Jic' Learning hard here :-)

PeeBee
20th April 2017, 10:16 PM
Sweet, thanks for that mate. My coolers are 1/2" British BSB and Yanky donk + Oil thermo 1/2" NPT. Pirtek and Nissannewby confirmed I should be alright with 55 v 60 pitch just intrigued about 'Jic' Learning hard here :-)

Mark, sorry, I disagree. 1/2" bsp and 1/2"npt thread forms are not compatible in a system under pressure. They may both be 14tpi, but the angle of engagement is different, plus the profile of the thread differs, so if you want to run them at 5psi you might get away with the joint not leaking, but dealing with hot oil, material expansion and reduced contact area, the joints will leak. You are better off getting correct adapters for each, such as bsp to jic and npt to jic then the thread forms will be correct to the duty intended. Your reference sources may be relying on thread form fillers or deformation of the threads to achieve the seal, but from an industrial perspective this is not recommended.

MB
20th April 2017, 10:19 PM
Aargh crap, I thought I was good to go at 6.5 Chev max 60psi cold :-(

MB
20th April 2017, 10:21 PM
Back over to our humble thread for discussion and let's leave this one alone mate:-)

nissannewby
21st April 2017, 09:03 AM
'AN' fittings refer to a style or thread form used by the army/navy in USA, JIC fittings are just a different style and thread form and format. To be honest the specifics are probably best left to the hydraulics guys to resolve as some fittings are tapered and others flat faced with 'o rings' etc. if you take the coolers down to a hose fitting guy he will know exactly what works with what.

AN and Jic are the same it is just a difference in term. Both are same thread and 37 degree seat.

nissannewby
21st April 2017, 09:04 AM
Aargh crap, I thought I was good to go at 6.5 Chev max 60psi cold :-(

They will seal mate. Have put far more than 60psi through thay sort of arrangement.

garett
22nd April 2017, 04:15 PM
instead of sorting out the rough start. first things first i washed it.

Deano2506
22nd April 2017, 06:07 PM
Drove her back home from up the east coast.
Interesting trip...broke an axle on the boat trailer
Had to drive back to hobart then back to swansea with a new axle
One of those nothing goes right trips!

GQtdauto
22nd April 2017, 06:31 PM
Spent a solid 8 hours plus working on the brackets for the mirrors , I'm about one quarter of the way there have made up both plates left and right and started on the mirror tension holder which is where all the work is .
Decided not to do aluminium due to shitty casting and worried about tension cracks when under stress such as corrigations etc , so all made from steel , new glasses and welding helmet have me doing some decent welds again .
I will take photos of all the bits and pieces before they are all welded together for anyone interested in putting them on a GQ in the future .
Other thing I had to workout was the wiring my mirrors have three wires the new ones have seven , but have worked out what they all are and can't wait till I get to the wiring up stage .
After I've finished both original GQ electric mirrors will be sold .

stevemc181
22nd April 2017, 09:36 PM
I kept plodding away finishing the rear storage off. Today I installed a couple of digital temp controllers for my engels. I use two engel eclipse 38 litre fridges that use the old style engel dial. These controllers make it easy to set and maintain whatever temp I want and I can easily see what each fridge is currently doing. The display will begin flashing if the fridge is out of my set temp range, this alerts me to any problems pretty quickly. I turn the fridge dials up to the highest setting and these units switch the power off and on to the engel sockets. They keep the temp within 2 degrees of my set temp, this takes the guess work out of where to set the dial and is a good work around for the old style pre-digital dials.

Plenty of people told me it would bugger the fridge as they aren't designed to switch on and off etc. I've been running this system for 3 years in my Pajero and glad to report it all worked brilliantly, so I transferred it over to the Patrol. I also installed a low coolant alarm and a bluetooth dongle for the Victron BMV-702, this sends my battery data straight to my phone where i can set alerts etc.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/IMG_4521_zps9dcu7fmr.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/IMG_4524_zpsas4fc967.png

GQtdauto
23rd April 2017, 05:32 PM
Finally I have tacked together a trial on the drivers side mirror , tension of spring is about right , angles seem ok , but have to remake the saddle , although it fits ok the mirror won't fold completely front back if you hit something .
I missed the slots needed so will remake the saddle with the slots needed , hopefully I should be done tomorrow.
Probably not a lot of GQ's around with these baby's .

stevemc181
23rd April 2017, 07:16 PM
Finally I have tacked together a trial on the drivers side mirror , tension of spring is about right , angles seem ok , but have to remake the saddle , although it fits ok the mirror won't fold completely front back if you hit something .
I missed the slots needed so will remake the saddle with the slots needed , hopefully I should be done tomorrow.
Probably not a lot of GQ's around with these baby's .

The pics are all upside down? Looking good though!

GQtdauto
23rd April 2017, 07:34 PM
Bloody Microsoft ! Be a hipster and get an iPad .

Yes I like the look of them too , Clearview don't make mirrors for the GQ so I had no option but I wish I knew how much of a prick of a job it was going to be , cost in materials so far without the mirrors is $2 yes just two bucks .
I was lucky at the steel joint and they basically gave the stuff to me .
I did buy a new welding helmet , a couple of cut of wheels and my 32 mm hole saw had vanished so had to get another one so it's not too bad cost wise .
If anyone is ever thinking of doing this you will need access to a drill press and metal cutoff saw along with a welder and lots of patience .

Patrol'n
23rd April 2017, 10:11 PM
Finally sorted out the whine from the belts.

Changed the alternator belt for a new Gates brand belt, when I compared the two the old one was thicker with deeper teeth, must have been that, coz new belt and no noise at all.

GQtdauto
25th April 2017, 05:36 PM
Right mirror in and wired up , left mirror on for trial fit and looks ok , bit more of an angle than test for some reason but happy enough to weld it up tomorrow and clean it up with the flap disk and paint it so should be all done tomorrow and have the door skins back in .
I have rerouted the wires in the mirror on the right side so they come out of the bottom arm and that's a shit of a job but will do the same with the left one because it's a neater look .

threedogs
26th April 2017, 10:43 AM
stevemc181 been using a digital temp controller for years as well, best mod ever IMO.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14469-Digital-temp-controller&highlight=digital+temp+controller

stevemc181
26th April 2017, 02:11 PM
stevemc181 been using a digital temp controller for years as well, best mod ever IMO.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14469-Digital-temp-controller&highlight=digital+temp+controller

Yep, no problem with mine, makes it easy to set and maintain a constant temp.

I finished off installing the ARB compressor yesterday and made use of the wing space on the left hand side of the drawers. Ended up making up a panel with space for three switches. I had no end panels for my clip together switch housings so I'll add these at a later time to neaten it up. It's all taking shape now and the Patrol is almost ready for her first adventure. The pic shows a water pump switch, but this is for future use as I haven't added a tank yet. There is also a blank space where I'll probably fit an LED light switch in the future.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Drawers/IMG_4531_zpskkleug4p.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Y61%20GU%20Patrol/Drawers/IMG_4532_zpssdbopo19.jpg

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 03:40 PM
Finally done with the Silverado mirror conversion to the GQ , have a small issue with the left side mirror sitting too far forward but I know how to fix it but have to remove it and that's a rainy day job .
Blinkers work and the adjustment controls are fine .

threedogs
26th April 2017, 04:49 PM
stevemc181 can I suggest on all your accessories to change the ends from Cig socket to a merit plug.
Much better will not fail well not as much as a Cig socket which will fail you can count on it. Still have a cig socket
for that just in case situation, but a few merit sockets here and there for the win I reckon,,,,,lol
Cig sockets and plugs are so old hat these days with some very good push,,twist ,,lock plugs going around,,,lol

stevemc181
26th April 2017, 06:18 PM
stevemc181 can I suggest on all your accessories to change the ends from Cig socket to a merit plug.
Much better will not fail well not as much as a Cig socket which will fail you can count on it. Still have a cig socket
for that just in case situation, but a few merit sockets here and there for the win I reckon,,,,,lol
Cig sockets and plugs are so old hat these days with some very good push,,twist ,,lock plugs going around,,,lol

I don't use any cig sockets, all mine are either the proper engel sockets which are a screw fit or they are anderson plugs. Never had anything come loose using either of these.

threedogs
26th April 2017, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=GQtdauto;724495]Finally done with the Silverado mirror conversion to the GQ , have a small issue with the left side mirror sitting too far forward but I know how to fix it but have to remove it and that's a rainy day job .
Blinkers work and the adjustment controls are fine .

at least the pics are the right way around when you click them

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 06:41 PM
That's because I held the iPad upside down when I took the photos TD .

GQtdauto
30th April 2017, 07:00 PM
Finished the cradle for the jerry cans to be put on roof rack , included a sand flag holder the design of which is courtesy of threedogs .
Mucking around with an idea for attaching the camper awning to the car , if it all works that's if , it will bolt onto the side of the roof rack and trying to do it so there are no bolts to worry about to erect it , hook on the bottom of apex is for a brace to hold it all steady which is adjustable .

Hodge
30th April 2017, 08:53 PM
Finished the dual battery install... Yes it's back to the front due to a unforseen case of me fitting draws at the back...
Managed to squeeze the Redarc and the battery neatly into the tray. I need to get some kind of heat shielding which I'd like to stick to the turbo/engine side of the battery tray.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71750&stc=1

GQtdauto
30th April 2017, 09:00 PM
Finished the dual battery install... Yes it's back to the front due to a unforseen case of me fitting draws at the back...
Managed to squeeze the Redarc and the battery neatly into the tray. I need to get some kind of heat shielding which I'd like to stick to the turbo/engine side of the battery tray.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71750&stc=1

I've put the third battery in a battery box left side front against the cargo barrier , just cut some marine ply to jack it all up a bit so it clears the fridge slide , most of my electrics originate on this side of the drawers so it's not wasted space .

PeeBee
3rd May 2017, 07:47 PM
Made the rear mount bracket for the pressure relief valve on the hydraulic pump, fitted the pump to relief valve hoses and insulated them, now ready for the final two hoses to be manufactured, took the advice of members here and went the 'repairable style' route, so getting closer to finishing this nightmare installation.7180171802

garett
3rd May 2017, 08:37 PM
adjusted the handbrake.. it should work for awhile.

Hodge
3rd May 2017, 08:58 PM
Just stripped the factory steps to make room for the new side steps. Car now looks a few inches higher lol.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71805&stc=1

GQtdauto
3rd May 2017, 09:35 PM
That's one clean shiny looking patrol there Hodge , ever go 4wheel driving in it .

rusty_nail
3rd May 2017, 10:05 PM
Just stripped the factory steps to make room for the new side steps. Car now looks a few inches higher lol.

It will look even higher with a bit of sill damage!! Nice car mate

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk

jack
3rd May 2017, 10:22 PM

Looks good Hodge, I'd love to do that with mine but the wife has trouble getting in now. She needs to grow a bit taller but to late for that.

Hodge
4th May 2017, 06:51 AM
That's one clean shiny looking patrol there Hodge , ever go 4wheel driving in it .

Shes seen plenty of just dirt and shaley roads in the high country. But never really tasted real mud. Ever.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71806&stc=1

GQtdauto
4th May 2017, 09:21 AM
Aaahhhhaaaaa I knew it , brother in laws GQ you could eat of any part of it , he scrubs the engine and even the dipstick I reckon , only bit of bush pin stripping he had was following me one day which he never did again and had buffed out .

Hodge
4th May 2017, 02:11 PM
Aaahhhhaaaaa I knew it , brother in laws GQ you could eat of any part of it , he scrubs the engine and even the dipstick I reckon , only bit of bush pin stripping he had was following me one day which he never did again and had buffed out .
The bloke who owned it before me, spent a considerable amount of time having it dipped in the ocean up to the chassis , fishing. Trouble is he never ever washed it.
Fair enough when I got her the almighty cancer rust had a fair hold of everything metal underneath.
So the car went for a major cleanup and a good coating with POR15 rust converter ) chasiss spray.
So after all that I try and keep her tidy and with just clicking over 100k recently she has a long way to go lol.

Hodge
4th May 2017, 05:34 PM
Fan arrived today. G35 Inifiti from Dubai using the site nissannewby uses. Ordered Tuesday arrived this afternoon. Quicker ordering from Dubai then it is from some local places.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71811&stc=1

TPC
4th May 2017, 06:07 PM
Fan arrived today. G35 Inifiti from Dubai using the site nissannewby uses. Ordered Tuesday arrived this afternoon. Quicker ordering from Dubai then it is from some local places.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71811&stc=1

What is the site?

Hodge
4th May 2017, 06:14 PM
What is the site?
https://partsouq.com/

MB
4th May 2017, 08:37 PM
Finally put my cubby house back on tonight.@DXGrunt Rossco mate I do now need some serious advice on making this loving den a bit more Mrs MB accomodating ;-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/39.jpg

PeeBee
4th May 2017, 08:49 PM
Finally put my cubby house back on tonight.@DXGrunt Rossco mate I do now need some serious advice on making this loving den a bit more Mrs MB accomodating ;-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/39.jpg

Start with a ladder and an oxygen tank to get up to the elevation that tray sits at!

MB
4th May 2017, 08:54 PM
Camped up at Pajinka top tip once Phil, I like being well off the ground now :-)

GQtdauto
5th May 2017, 04:14 PM
Finished the frame for the camper annexe to car so won't need to carry shit loads of poles , tested it out and it works well enough for me but will only be used if it's raining .

PeeBee
5th May 2017, 06:01 PM
Finished the frame for the camper annexe to car so won't need to carry shit loads of poles , tested it out and it works well enough for me but will only be used if it's raining .

Whats the configuration - does the frame stay there or slide out ?

GQtdauto
5th May 2017, 06:48 PM
Whats the configuration - does the frame stay there or slide out ?

Frame folds down as in photo but is bolted onto the roof rack , it is held by a grip belt and heavy duty occy strap .
Once these are off the two arms pivot up and I put the spigot piece I made up in either end and pull down .
The brace has holes each end and is just a gal adjustable pole with a hole each end .
One end goes in the hook under the spigot the other end attaches to an eye fixed onto the solar panel holding frame , I just put a big screwdriver though this then adjust the tension I need to pull the canvas tight , may put a occy over the spigot to hold canvas if windy .
I've worked out that GQ needs to be between 2.300 - 2.400 metres from camper side , but ideal is 2.300 ish , it's not that hard to do I have done a few trials and got it every time once I knew what distance works best .
If you want I can take some better photos of the bolted ends and brace connection points .

PeeBee
5th May 2017, 08:02 PM
Frame folds down as in photo but is bolted onto the roof rack , it is held by a grip belt and heavy duty occy strap .
Once these are off the two arms pivot up and I put the spigot piece I made up in either end and pull down .
The brace has holes each end and is just a gal adjustable pole with a hole each end .
One end goes in the hook under the spigot the other end attaches to an eye fixed onto the solar panel holding frame , I just put a big screwdriver though this then adjust the tension I need to pull the canvas tight , may put a occy over the spigot to hold canvas if windy .
I've worked out that GQ needs to be between 2.300 - 2.400 metres from camper side , but ideal is 2.300 ish , it's not that hard to do I have done a few trials and got it every time once I knew what distance works best .
If you want I can take some better photos of the bolted ends and brace connection points .

I am still struggling with this ! Maybe when you have it rigged up take a photo for me pls so I can appreciate your design. thanks

Hodge
5th May 2017, 08:03 PM
Just ripped out a vacuum solenoid cluster bracket. Wasn't doing anything any more and was taking up valuable under bonnet real estate . http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/43.jpg

GQtdauto
5th May 2017, 08:22 PM
I am still struggling with this ! Maybe when you have it rigged up take a photo for me pls so I can appreciate your design. thanks

Have some photos of when I first hooked it up and when I moved the GQ a bit further away they are not great but might be what you're after .
Didn't take a photo from the other side unfortunately, but the next photo I get will be while we are away for 8 weeks although hoping the weather stays fine .

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 06:57 AM
Full length flat rack for our trip.
Uses rhino rack feet, 6 off.
5 cross bars 300mm apart and 4mm mesh.
It is now black.
Best bit. Cost nothung. All steel lying around from other jobs..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/47.jpg

GQtdauto
6th May 2017, 09:14 AM
Full length flat rack for our trip.
Uses rhino rack feet, 6 off.
5 cross bars 300mm apart and 4mm mesh.
It is now black.
Best bit. Cost nothung. All steel lying around from other jobs..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/47.jpg

That's one clean shed mate .

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 09:17 AM
Bahaha.
Yea sure lol..
Imo a bigger shed youll just have more shoit lol..

GQtdauto
6th May 2017, 09:26 AM
Bahaha.
Yea sure lol..
Imo a bigger shed youll just have more shoit lol..

I see we have similar storage and filing systems but it looks like you could eat off your floor , mine was clean and tidyish about 3 months ago .

Touses
6th May 2017, 09:31 AM

Looks very similar to my shed. A place for everything and everything..........somewhere!

GQtdauto
6th May 2017, 09:42 AM
Maybe we should have a "show me your shed" thread to find out who has the gayest shed .

TPC
6th May 2017, 09:52 AM
Maybe we should have a "show me your shed" thread to find out who has the gayest shed .

We already do.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17137-Show-us-ya-man-cave&highlight=cave

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 09:53 AM
Im pretty sure there is one lol..
Yea i had an hour clean up to build that rack in here lol
Well shes ready for bolt up.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/48.jpg

TPC
6th May 2017, 10:12 AM
Im pretty sure there is one lol..
Yea i had an hour clean up to build that rack in here lol
Well shes ready for bolt up..

Between you posting photos sideways and GQtdauto posting them upside down I am getting a sore neck.

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 10:18 AM
Between you posting photos sideways and GQtdauto posting them upside down I am getting a sore neck.
Yea not sure why it did that.
Its a normal portrait photo..
Tapa turned it landscape..

There ya go tpc.
Ive rotated the pic on my phone so it goes correct here..

TPC
6th May 2017, 10:27 AM
Yea not sure why it did that.
Its a normal portrait photo..
Tapa turned it landscape..

There ya go tpc.
Ive rotated the pic on my phone so it goes correct here..

I like the rack, having the feet straight onto the rack rather than having roof bars and having no sides keeps it low profile.
That would possibly fit into my carport.
If you get a chance can you measure your total height when you bolt it on, would be interested to know.

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 10:36 AM
I like the rack, having the feet straight onto the rack rather than having roof bars and having no sides keeps it low profile.
If you get a chance can you measure your total height when you bolt it on, would be interested to know.
Sure thing mate

GQtdauto
6th May 2017, 03:08 PM
It's right way up when I view it , so it must you guys that have the problem either that or your on the turps .

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 04:41 PM
After thinking about it mate we all have different heights..
So rack is 150mm on top of gutters..

Hodge
6th May 2017, 05:28 PM
Just finished fitting the steps / sliders. Had to cut the front finishing bracket shorter as it was fouling with the front flares. So waiting for paint to try and re-fit.
Very solid units though. Mounting system on the RHS chassis was interesting to get around the fuel lines, but got there in the end.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71836&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71837&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71838&stc=1

TPC
6th May 2017, 07:23 PM
After thinking about it mate we all have different heights..
So rack is 150mm on top of gutters..

Do you have bigger tyres, what size do you have?

BigRAWesty
6th May 2017, 07:25 PM
Do you have bigger tyres, what size do you have?
31 tyres and short 2" lift..

TPC
6th May 2017, 07:30 PM
31 tyres and short 2" lift..

Should be about the same as me then, I have 2" lift and 265/75/16 tyres.

GQtdauto
8th May 2017, 06:24 PM
Finally have fitted the temp sensor to the banjo bolt on the GQ , lucked out my nephew had an 1/8 npt tap set and my brother drilled and tapped it for me .
Once I had the gauge working it was off for a test drive to see what temps mine sit at and on the flat about 80 up an incline pushing it about 91 which is also what I get when idling .
Getting the oil changed hopefully Wednesday but want to go for a run tomorrow from cold so I can compare the temps with 4th overdrive locked out .
Then when I've finished packing the camper for our corner country trip I'm going to see what the temps are with OD off and with OD on but 4th locked out .

macca
8th May 2017, 08:30 PM
I didn't do it, and it's not finished but getting a replacement turbo and fancy airbox done.

Finally found a bloke who knows his Nissans and lives near to us. There is a good bloke in Forster but that's a PITA to drop the car off etc.

So tomorrow I should have it back and hopefully running better.

I have known the turbo wasn't right for a couple of years but couldn't part with the coin. Now we are buying a caravan it is probably wise to get it fixed.

Gnoxy
8th May 2017, 08:31 PM
went to the shop today and me bloody window didnt go back up so went and bought and installed a new window regulator. working like a charm again

jack
8th May 2017, 08:33 PM
Now we are buying a caravan it is probably wise to get it fixed.

A caravan, I must have missed something. Planning on comfort or an extended lap Macca?

macca
8th May 2017, 08:49 PM
A caravan, I must have missed something. Planning on comfort or an extended lap Macca?

G'day mate, 12 month lap looking for work along the way, if we like it we might not be back for longer

GQtdauto
8th May 2017, 09:44 PM
Enjoy it Macca .

DX grunt
9th May 2017, 03:59 PM
I dropped my ute off at the auto electrician's place and said..."fix it." lol

Getting a new LED headlight system put in. Dash board coming out and dash lights being repaired/replaced, coz I got none. Tail lights and park lights don't work and the relay that turns the headlights on/off automatically, is shot. All in the last week or so.

I must admit I'm getting fitter riding my pushie to work and home in the dark. lol. Words not pictures. Words not pictures. lol.

garett
9th May 2017, 04:14 PM
measured the gap under the back seat.. now to squeeze in 2 6x9's an amp and a 10 inch sub...

GQtdauto
9th May 2017, 05:08 PM
measured the gap under the back seat.. now to squeeze in 2 6x9's an amp and a 10 inch sub...

Doof Doof Doof !

garett
11th May 2017, 12:49 PM
fixed a couple exhaust brackets/ mounts.

GQtdauto
11th May 2017, 08:57 PM
Let the mechanic have his way with it , but when I seen the bill I'm not sure it wasn't the other way round .

PeeBee
13th May 2017, 04:59 PM
Swapped over the replacement alternator and vacuum pump, warranty items, dropped one of the banjo fittings into the engine valley, landing under the injector pump. Tried for 30 minutes to find it, no luck, had a spare so it can stay there. All charging like it should now.

MB
13th May 2017, 06:18 PM
Swapped over the replacement alternator and vacuum pump, warranty items, dropped one of the banjo fittings into the engine valley, landing under the injector pump. Tried for 30 minutes to find it, no luck, had a spare so it can stay there. All charging like it should now. The old 6.5 V8 valley pit of never return hey :-) Spent some 30 minutes trying to get a spanner out once meself, magnets were useless surrounded by so much yanky steel, good ol wire coat hangers won the day in the end Phil ;-)

PeeBee
13th May 2017, 07:01 PM
The old 6.5 V8 valley pit of never return hey :-) Spent some 30 minutes trying to get a spanner out once meself, magnets were useless surrounded by so much yanky steel, good ol wire coat hangers won the day in the end Phil ;-)

It can stay there now, I am over chasing this stuff.

MB
13th May 2017, 07:05 PM
What's that funny rattle Daddy on your brand new big motor, said the PeeWee's :-)

PeeBee
13th May 2017, 07:10 PM
What's that funny rattle Daddy on your brand new big motor, said the PeeWee's :-)

Just another bolt dropped by daddy, don't worry, it will get louder

AB
13th May 2017, 07:17 PM
Being in my sitch at the moment I actually drove it!!!

Went down to the supermarket and it rocked!!

Sad panda!!!

It's been a month since it started up and god knows how long since off-roading but it's about to be punished soon!! Can't wait!

PeeBee
13th May 2017, 07:20 PM

Sad panda!!!

It's been a month since it started up and god knows how long since off-roading but it's about to be punished soon!! Can't wait!

Is there an english translation of this AB?

Clunk
13th May 2017, 08:20 PM
Is there an english translation of this AB?
Basically he hasn't been able to drive it because he's been a big pussy

johno90
15th May 2017, 06:45 PM
S4 barn door on - just gotta fit the new badge
Kut snake flares on
Started making my custom a/c lines for a lil experiment
Painted the sliders
s3 tail lights in and working
Hopefully the manifold will be back tomorrow morning
Exhaust manifold and turbo housing are finished getting ceramic coated just waiting for them to send them back
Ordered 2x Peak Lighting Viper sr10-28 light bars

AB
15th May 2017, 07:35 PM
Basically he hasn't been able to drive it because he's been a big pussy

Nailed it!!!

Clunk
15th May 2017, 08:45 PM
Nailed it!!!

Don't I always [emoji12]

EddieOlsen
15th May 2017, 11:14 PM
Admired the piece of skin hanging off the end of the timing belt tensioner spring .... yes the skin had previously been attached to the back of my hand!!!!!

garett
16th May 2017, 08:36 AM
change a coolant line and tightened a number of hose clamps.

TPC
16th May 2017, 09:10 AM

Sad panda!!!

I remember we were going to go for a bit of a 4wd on the Monday of the Anzac weekend but mudnut talked us out of it.

mudnut
16th May 2017, 12:08 PM
"Come to Yarra Glen and have a party," they said.

"We are gunna go for a bit of wheeling at Toolangi," they said.

Not bloody likely!!

TPC
16th May 2017, 12:25 PM
"Come to Yarra Glen and have a party," they said.

"We are gunna go for a bit of wheeling at Toolangi," they said.

Not bloody likely!!

That's what MB looked like on the Monday after too much to drink on Saturday and Sunday.

MB
16th May 2017, 02:47 PM
You forgot Friday too Tony and by the way Monday I was the only one prepared to hit Toolangi's tracks early with Craig ;-) Probably a good thing the arvo became a tad slippery and yes the weekends indulgences finally kicked in :-(

Hilux man
16th May 2017, 06:01 PM
You forgot Friday too Tony and by the way Monday I was the only one prepared to hit Toolangi's tracks early with Craig ;-) Probably a good thing the arvo became a tad slippery and yes the weekends indulgences finally kicked in :-(

Was a wicked weekend. Lot of alcohol drunk

Gazzmate
18th May 2017, 11:06 PM
Pulled out the shelves and removed the ladder racks and conduit tube, also ripped out all the unnecessary wiring in the ex telstra ute

Winnie
20th May 2017, 04:42 PM
Changing headlights http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/159.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AB
20th May 2017, 05:10 PM
Changing headlights http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/159.jpg

Was it fun taking that bar off with the high mount by yourself?

Bloody heavy combo!

Winnie
20th May 2017, 05:25 PM
Richard is here so took advantage of him lol. I can take it off by myself but no chance of getting it back on.
New LED headlights seem pretty good but I'll take it for a drive at night later this week and see how it goes.

GQtdauto
20th May 2017, 07:12 PM
Drove it to here .

BigRAWesty
20th May 2017, 07:45 PM
Put the old viscous hub back on and fitted a 1kg fire extinguisher nex to the middle row seat on drivers side..

Rossco
20th May 2017, 08:14 PM

Should put a wanker chrome grill on while it's apart. . .[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Winnie
20th May 2017, 08:55 PM
Should put a wanker chrome grill on while it's apart. . .[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I'm gonna paint this one black and see how it looks. Reckon it'll look stealth cos the headlights are black too.
Nobody will see me coming!
If it looks rubbish though I'll get a wanker grille

MB
20th May 2017, 09:11 PM

You could also borrow your bother in laws grille to gain full wanker status if need be Chrisso :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/160.jpg

Winnie
20th May 2017, 09:20 PM
No thanks Mark. I might stick the big Nissan badge on the front of his Hilux though

jack
20th May 2017, 09:48 PM
Packed it ready for an early start for our Wombat State Forest and Lerderderg State Park trip tomorrow. Could be slippery and interesting.

stevemc181
20th May 2017, 09:51 PM
Cleaned the spinifex from a recent trip from the radiator etc, 4hr bastard of a job.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Karajini%20Trip%20May%202017/IMG_4755_zpsgxbe82iw.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Karajini%20Trip%20May%202017/IMG_4758_zpsqxlmjclz.jpg

MB
20th May 2017, 10:10 PM
Geeze, that does look like fun Steve :-) Which stretch of highway was that off mate?

BigRAWesty
20th May 2017, 10:24 PM
I'm gonna paint this one black and see how it looks. Reckon it'll look stealth cos the headlights are black too.
Nobody will see me coming!

Have seen a few with matt black grills and they do look good on dark patrols.
Looks shit on the white ones though..
I say do it..

Cleaned the spinifex from a recent trip from the radiator etc, 4hr bastard of a job.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Karajini%20Trip%20May%202017/IMG_4755_zpsgxbe82iw.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Karajini%20Trip%20May%202017/IMG_4758_zpsqxlmjclz.jpg
That is a solid effort.
Did it all come from under radiator or through the grill??

stevemc181
20th May 2017, 11:37 PM
Geeze, that does look like fun Steve :-) Which stretch of highway was that off mate?

That is a solid effort.

This was from two solid days pushing out to Hanging Rock, in the Ruddall River National Park (Up Near Telfer WA) The track wasn't too bad when we could find it, just bloody overgrown to buggery as it is very rarely used. The first day we had no blind on the front and it took us an hour or so trackside to get enough spinifex out of the radiator to carry on. The missus would clear under the car, while I worked on the radiator. Every 25-30km's would have to clear underneath. I ended up rigging up a shadecloth bra across the front, this helped a bit, but the shit still got in there.

Took us two big days to cover 100km's. I had intended on keepng on heading West from Hanging Rock, but we lost the track and we had chewed through shitloads more fuel than anticipated, so we retreated and fueled up at Parngurr (Cotton Creek) out near the CSR. I'll get a trip report up in a few days of Karajini and Ruddall River.

I also decided today to buy a buffing machine and clean her up today, oops I buffed a bit too hard on the guard flares, dammit! Have a few patches of paint missing now :(

gubigfish
21st May 2017, 12:22 AM
All makes sense now hope you had covered in shoes and not thongs, spinifex is deadly in thongs

stevemc181
21st May 2017, 12:25 AM
All makes sense now hope you had covered in shoes and not thongs, spinifex is deadly in thongs

Had my standard safety thongs on, bugger getting out in it, that's the missus job. I only get out at the clearings ;)

Winnie
21st May 2017, 07:03 AM
Have seen a few with matt black grills and they do look good on dark patrols.
Looks shit on the white ones though..
I say do it..

That is a solid effort.
I hog the idea from Hodge who has a matte black grille on his GU and I reckon his looks awesome

my third 256
21st May 2017, 07:09 AM
hey winnie i can see yuor number plate

my third 256
21st May 2017, 07:11 AM
large ipf driving lights removed and a 20"single row 200wt light bar installed

BigRAWesty
21st May 2017, 07:59 AM
I hog the idea from Hodge who has a matte black grille on his GU and I reckon his looks awesome

Yea the grills on the gu's dont take uo as much real estate like the gq's do so maybe dont stand out as much??
Sorta like chrome grill on a gq. Looks good on a gu as its a small grill, not so great on a gq..

Winnie
21st May 2017, 08:32 AM
Yea the grills on the gu's dont take uo as much real estate like the gq's do so maybe dont stand out as much??
Sorta like chrome grill on a gq. Looks good on a gu as its a small grill, not so great on a gq..
Disagree again mate. AB and Rossco's chromies look great too.

Rossco
21st May 2017, 09:35 AM
Disagree again mate. AB and Rossco's chromies look great too.

We do look like wankers tho [emoji6] . . .

AB
21st May 2017, 10:10 AM

But stylish wankers!

Clunk
21st May 2017, 11:56 AM

But stylish wankers!

And that was before the chrome grills

Mungrel
21st May 2017, 07:15 PM
Swapped radiators today and test drove.

Winnie
21st May 2017, 07:35 PM
Painted the grille black and finished the new led headlights, easy job and seem like a nice upgrade but still yet to test them in the real world.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/167.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/168.jpg

Rossco
21st May 2017, 07:38 PM
Ooh nice does look very fresh. . . Looks good, how are the leds ??

Winnie
21st May 2017, 07:50 PM
Lights off.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/169.jpg

Low beams.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/170.jpg

High beams.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/171.jpg

gubigfish
21st May 2017, 07:56 PM
That grill come up mint

Mungrel
21st May 2017, 08:12 PM
Good job on the lights and grille, flash as.

Winnie
21st May 2017, 08:13 PM
Cheers, I'm happy with it.

Rossco
21st May 2017, 08:23 PM
Those lights look really good, interested to see how they go on the road. .

Mc4by
21st May 2017, 08:34 PM
Great paint job. Spray can or do you have real tools?

Winnie
21st May 2017, 08:47 PM
Great paint job. Spray can or do you have real tools?
Nah mate just rattle cans. I just cleaned it up with steel wool then used some clear plastic primer and then the matte black.

PeeBee
21st May 2017, 10:55 PM
Have some photos of when I first hooked it up and when I moved the GQ a bit further away they are not great but might be what you're after .
Didn't take a photo from the other side unfortunately, but the next photo I get will be while we are away for 8 weeks although hoping the weather stays fine .

Apologies, missed this reply, makes sense now to me, and great idea.

Mc4by
22nd May 2017, 07:40 PM
Installed a cargo barrier to increase usable space in the rear.

Yeti's Beast
22nd May 2017, 08:14 PM
Lights off.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/169.jpg

Low beams.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/170.jpg

High beams.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/171.jpg

Wish I had a GQ now so I could have a set of those lights. They look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stevemc181
23rd May 2017, 02:22 PM
I booked it in with United Fuel Injection (UFI) over here in Perth for an ECU Remap. I need to extract some more ponies from this thing. :animierte-smilies-t

Mc4by
23rd May 2017, 03:47 PM
I booked it in with United Fuel Injection (UFI) over here in Perth for an ECU Remap. I need to extract some more ponies from this thing. :animierte-smilies-t

Let me know how you go with this as I am thinking about doing a re-map rather than a chip.
If you don't mind sharing, what sort of cost are you looking at?

stevemc181
23rd May 2017, 04:05 PM
Let me know how you go with this as I am thinking about doing a re-map rather than a chip.
If you don't mind sharing, what sort of cost are you looking at?

I already have a Manta 3" System and the Tillix boost controller/needle valve set-up so it's just the remap from UFI @ $1450.00. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'll be getting the remap done this Thursday, so give me a few days to drive it and I'll let you know what I think.

Mc4by
23rd May 2017, 04:28 PM
I already have a Manta 3" System and the Tillix boost controller/needle valve set-up so it's just the remap from UFI @ $1450.00. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'll be getting the remap done this Thursday, so give me a few days to drive it and I'll let you know what I think.

I look forward to the report. I have a manta 3 inch with the NADS done as wel.

Old Wal
23rd May 2017, 10:07 PM
Not today ( been offline for ages - too busy ) but at the end of April I had new bfg km2 fitted to my ute. This is my second set. $ 325.00 ea fitted and balanced which I think was a good price ( 265 /75 16 ).Had no argument from my wife despite the fact that a set of 4 tyres for her car only cost $354.00 in total due to a buy 3 get 4th tyre free promo on Toyo tyres. Our trip last year on a very muddy Oodnadatta Track convinced her of the value of decent mud tyres. Yes the Track was open - checked with the cops. Also had new rear wheel brake cylinders and load proportion valve extension bracket fitted.

MB
23rd May 2017, 11:02 PM
Great choice of tyres Wal mate, love em! Dad had us camp out at the old Dalhousie Mozzie Oasis ponds for an 3 extra days back in the early 80's with Desert Duellers, he should've chosen KM1's back then too ;-) !

Cuppa
25th May 2017, 12:07 PM
As you might imagine, setting up our Patrol for extended solo travel means we have to carry a fair bit of 'stuff'. Mostly everything has it's place - or at least that's the aim.

One thing I didn't have a place for was the 10.5 litres of oil to replace that in the motor in dire circumstances, so yesterday I put my mind to finding a spot to carry it. Finding a suitably sized & shaped container was the key. Finished the little project this morning.

This is what I came up with, utilising, as per the usual Cuppa manner, stuff I had sitting around in the shed. Some offcuts of 3mm 'signbond' (left over from the shower I made with it), some plastic edging from the same project, & some rubber edging strip which was a mistaken purchase for some kitchen renovations at our last house.

Ok I exagerate, I did need to go out & buy the hinges, only because I wanted ones which wouldn't rust, so I got a pair of stainless ones, & whilst at the hardware store I also bought the hasp which was bigger than one I had in the shed, but I wanted it's extra thickness. Subsequently it was cut down & modified to suit.

It was also built in the usual Cuppa style. Ie. 'make it up as you go along'. Getting it to close so that it holds the container tightly in place was achieved via a fair of trial & error. I think it'll do the job though, & wont draw the attention of legal jobsworth's who assume I am carrying fuel on the back of the vehicle, or those who think the container may have contents worth sniffing or stealing. It also allows me to still use the rear step between the tyres to climb up to check the solar panels on the roof.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/213.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/214.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/215.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/216.jpg

Covo71
25th May 2017, 12:29 PM
Hey mate,
I was just looking at new lights as 1 of mine is flicks on and off. Where did you get them? what $$$ if you don't mind telling?

stevemc181
25th May 2017, 08:05 PM
I look forward to the report. I have a manta 3 inch with the NADS done as wel.

Its only been a short drive home, but I could feel the extra grunt as soon as I left the driveway at UFI. I got home and took the missus for a spin, she couldn't believe the difference either. I also noted the scan gauge was giving me the lowest fuel readings I have seen, but I'll check this out over a few fill ups.

I am a happy with the increases that UFI have achieved. She's gained a 30% increase in Torque and a 24% increase in kw. This seems to now be a motor I can live with, but I'll give it a bit of a run over the next week or two and see how it all goes. Grin from ear to ear driving home though!

PeeBee
25th May 2017, 08:32 PM
Thats a clever idea, consolidating the oil into a single container. saves space as well, I LIKE it.

MB
25th May 2017, 09:08 PM
Thats a clever idea, consolidating the oil into a single container. saves space as well, I LIKE it. Reckon it's a ripper idea too Cuppa mate! Definitely got me thinking about your delima PeeBee up on the Butcher Country track punching a hole through your sump, damn lucky you're a smart cooky carrying steel putty to jam in there quick enough! Personally only ever carried a 4L top up oil, might have to copy your idea too Cuppa thanks mate :-)

Mc4by
25th May 2017, 10:14 PM
Its only been a short drive home, but I could feel the extra grunt as soon as I left the driveway at UFI. I got home and took the missus for a spin, she couldn't believe the difference either. I also noted the scan gauge was giving me the lowest fuel readings I have seen, but I'll check this out over a few fill ups.

I am a happy with the increases that UFI have achieved. She's gained a 30% increase in Torque and a 24% increase in kw. This seems to now be a motor I can live with, but I'll give it a bit of a run over the next week or two and see how it all goes. Grin from ear to ear driving home though!

Always nice to have a good outcome when you outlay a few $$$. Sounds like it was well worth it.

Plasnart
25th May 2017, 10:22 PM
Deleted wrong thread!.

MB
25th May 2017, 10:31 PM
Fair call Plassy on the weight issue mate :-) Reckon Phil though had enough smarts to feel the 'Clunk' above all other normal cabin noise and super quickly grab the putty outa the drivers door I'd imagine to diagnose and jam within a few litres lost only. I still would've been scratching my head whilst rolling a smoke to consider next casual steps :-)

Plasnart
25th May 2017, 10:35 PM
As you might imagine, setting up our Patrol for extended solo travel means we have to carry a fair bit of 'stuff'. Mostly everything has it's place - or at least that's the aim.

One thing I didn't have a place for was the 10.5 litres of oil to replace that in the motor in dire circumstances, so yesterday I put my mind to finding a spot to carry it. Finding a suitably sized & shaped container was the key. Finished the little project this morning.

This is what I came up with, utilising, as per the usual Cuppa manner, stuff I had sitting around in the shed. Some offcuts of 3mm 'signbond' (left over from the shower I made with it), some plastic edging from the same project, & some rubber edging strip which was a mistaken purchase for some kitchen renovations at our last house.

Ok I exagerate, I did need to go out & buy the hinges, only because I wanted ones which wouldn't rust, so I got a pair of stainless ones, & whilst at the hardware store I also bought the hasp which was bigger than one I had in the shed, but I wanted it's extra thickness. Subsequently it was cut down & modified to suit.

It was also built in the usual Cuppa style. Ie. 'make it up as you go along'. Getting it to close so that it holds the container tightly in place was achieved via a fair of trial & error. I think it'll do the job though, & wont draw the attention of legal jobsworth's who assume I am carrying fuel on the back of the vehicle, or those who think the container may have contents worth sniffing or stealing. It also allows me to still use the rear step between the tyres to climb up to check the solar panels on the roof.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/213.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/214.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/215.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/216.jpg

Gday Cuppa, sorry regardless of my previous post I actually am in the right thread! Just wanted to put forward my opinion on this issue.

As MB said steel putty is really good stuff, but specifically i wanted to raise the issue of superfluous weight when touring. The post I deleted above read as such:

Steel putty is great sh!t. Dont leave home without it. Never used it in anger but gave it a test run on a hole in some steel at home. What can i say, it's hard as a rock, would have trouble chiselling it off. Essential item for touring and doesnt weigh 13-odd kilos. Personally I'd not carry a full spare oil change when touring, especially behind the rear axle with corrugations, cantilevered forces and all. A good sump guard, a container to catch oil leaks and steel putty in the kit but that's just my opinion.

A completely smashed sump (and subsequent uncontrolled spill) when touring is very unlikely imho.

MB
25th May 2017, 10:45 PM
Sorry Plassy, it took me 10 mins to roll a smoke and type above:-) What was wrong with your original post mate, quite valid I personally thought with GVM touring weight! High Country trucking has far greater possibilities of rock type knocking a sump :-(

Plasnart
25th May 2017, 10:49 PM
Sorry Plassy, it took me 10 mins to roll a smoke and type above:-) What was wrong with your original post mate, quite valid I personally thought with GVM touring weight! High Country trucking has far greater possibilities of rock type knocking a sump :-(

I edited it with the big delete straight after posting because I thought I'd posted in the wrong thread. Surprised you saw it unless you refreshed as soon as I posted it.

MB
25th May 2017, 10:58 PM
You've got a 'Smart TV' yeah?
I'm watching realtime and listening yeah?
:-)

Plasnart
25th May 2017, 11:15 PM
You've got a 'Smart TV' yeah?
I'm watching realtime and listening yeah?
:-)

Yes George.:rolleyes:

MB
25th May 2017, 11:19 PM
Ok, you've lost me :-( ?
Are we Butcher Country ing this thread mate?

Plasnart
25th May 2017, 11:44 PM
Ok, you've lost me :-( ?
Are we Butcher Country ing this thread mate?

Nah just term of phrase i hate when "yeah?" added to end of a statement, not actually asking for an opinion just an affirmation. Learnt from ex bosses i no longer work for! :D Youre a good bloke marky just hate that saying from experience ;)

MB
25th May 2017, 11:55 PM
Bit of good interstate work Yakka all done, paid a fair chunk off the M/C then topped it up again, silly but me happy thread time :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/217.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/218.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/219.jpg

Touses
26th May 2017, 07:54 AM
Bit of good interstate work Yakka all done, paid a fair chunk off the M/C then topped it up again, silly but me happy thread time :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/217.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/218.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/219.jpg

Don't bring it to Qld brother, you'll get pinged because it is forward of and above the bullbar! Sad but true!

MB
26th May 2017, 08:20 AM
Cheers Touses, appreciated mate! We've been keen to do Fraser Island again one day but think the family stockish wagon would be best for the kids. Apparently they're not allowed to ride in ute trays anymore as well, where has all the adventure gone :-)

Touses
26th May 2017, 08:39 AM
Cheers Touses, appreciated mate! We've been keen to do Fraser Island again one day but think the family stockish wagon would be best for the kids. Apparently they're not allowed to ride in ute trays anymore as well, where has all the adventure gone :-)

Na! No rides in the back of the ute mate, was a rite of passage when I was younger and slimmer!

jay see
26th May 2017, 09:16 AM
Painted the grille black and finished the new led headlights, easy job and seem like a nice upgrade but still yet to test them in the real world.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/167.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/168.jpg

Seeing a lot more trucks with leds must be a good thing on the open road.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Cuppa
26th May 2017, 10:57 AM
Seeing a lot more trucks with leds must be a good thing on the open road.

Dunno.
I’m seeing more vehicles on the road with very bright, very white headlights. Not sure if they are LED, HID or something else. What I am sure of is that when they approach me they are far more dazzling than conventional headlights, & very effectively reduce my vision. Great for the owner’s vision, but I question whether they are a good idea on public roads. Those I am referring to are dazzling on low beam & generally appear to be correctly set up. It’s not so much the direction in which they are pointed, just their general brightness.

LED’s per se are a good idea as they should use a lot less power & last much longer than a conventional halogen globe, but I think perhaps there will eventually be legislation needed to control the amount of lumens allowed (if there isn’t already?). I may be wrong but I suspect that because LED’s use a lot less current for a given amount of light, that it is resulting in LED headlights being sold that draw similar current to halogens with a resulting much great lumen output?

Mike02Ti
26th May 2017, 11:53 AM
I personally think that its also got a lot to do with the Kelvin rating of the globes.
Lots are being sold in the 6000k to 8000k range. Whilst light penetration is good at these levels seemingly the harshness for the light goes up too.
The warmer colour lights (more yellow) are no where near as harsh coming towards you nor so reflective off road signs.
Thats why i try and stick to around 4500 to 5000k. I do lose some light output (lumens) but much easier on my eyes let alone anyone elses.

Winnie
26th May 2017, 02:55 PM
Dunno.
I’m seeing more vehicles on the road with very bright, very white headlights. Not sure if they are LED, HID or something else. What I am sure of is that when they approach me they are far more dazzling than conventional headlights, & very effectively reduce my vision. Great for the owner’s vision, but I question whether they are a good idea on public roads. Those I am referring to are dazzling on low beam & generally appear to be correctly set up. It’s not so much the direction in which they are pointed, just their general brightness.

LED’s per se are a good idea as they should use a lot less power & last much longer than a conventional halogen globe, but I think perhaps there will eventually be legislation needed to control the amount of lumens allowed (if there isn’t already?). I may be wrong but I suspect that because LED’s use a lot less current for a given amount of light, that it is resulting in LED headlights being sold that draw similar current to halogens with a resulting much great lumen output?

It's all about the direction of light, nothing to do with the colour of the light. Have a look at the picture of my LEDs on low beam, you will notice a clear cut off line.
I drove my other car in and out of my carport with the new Patrol LED headlights shining towards me and was not dazzled at all by them. The project the light forwards and down, not up.
Highbeams on though will blind any oncoming traffic, more so than a regular high beam because of the huge increase in lumens.

mudnut
26th May 2017, 04:10 PM
I took the A/C belt and adjuster pulley off as the compressor is stuffed. No use running the belt for nothing. I have to get a new radiator, completely overhaul the brakes and change out the gearbox oil for the correct stuff before I even think about fixing the A/C.

Cuppa
26th May 2017, 04:42 PM
I personally think that its also got a lot to do with the Kelvin rating of the globes.
Lots are being sold in the 6000k to 8000k range. Whilst light penetration is good at these levels seemingly the harshness for the light goes up too.
The warmer colour lights (more yellow) are no where near as harsh coming towards you nor so reflective off road signs.
Thats why i try and stick to around 4500 to 5000k. I do lose some light output (lumens) but much easier on my eyes let alone anyone elses.

You make a good point Mike. It is the colour of the light, (harsh white) not just the brightness.

Winnie, I take your point, but I think Mike's point has merit too. I'm not suggesting that just by having LED lights you are guilty of dazzling other road users, but I am pretty sure that some that have dazzled me have had the required cut off line. You can see the spread of light from a distance away. It's when they get closer that I have a problem. It's the quality of the light which 'gets' me. I may be a bit more sensitive than some due to having had cataract surgery in both eyes?

mudnut
26th May 2017, 04:45 PM
Must be a grumpy old man thing, as I have a lot of trouble with the glare from the blueish lights too.

threedogs
26th May 2017, 06:12 PM
Must be a grumpy old man thing, as I have a lot of trouble with the glare from the blueish lights too.

Took my 100watt hid 6000k out .I only need a decent "high beam" set up
so my 100 HID 6000k driving lights and and my double row light bar will be ok for me.
LED arent quite there yet IMO, very happy with my 90/100 hi/low beams as well
and to think all the $$$ I spent trying to get the brightest lights I could, just a waste IMO
in hind sight

PeeBee
26th May 2017, 07:55 PM
Gday Cuppa, sorry regardless of my previous post I actually am in the right thread! Just wanted to put forward my opinion on this issue.

As MB said steel putty is really good stuff, but specifically i wanted to raise the issue of superfluous weight when touring. The post I deleted above read as such:

Steel putty is great sh!t. Dont leave home without it. Never used it in anger but gave it a test run on a hole in some steel at home. What can i say, it's hard as a rock, would have trouble chiselling it off. Essential item for touring and doesnt weigh 13-odd kilos. Personally I'd not carry a full spare oil change when touring, especially behind the rear axle with corrugations, cantilevered forces and all. A good sump guard, a container to catch oil leaks and steel putty in the kit but that's just my opinion.

A completely smashed sump (and subsequent uncontrolled spill) when touring is very unlikely imho.

Plassy, you might recall my drama with the Chev conversion and punching a hole thru the sump at 222klm from new?I lost 5L of oil and it could not be stopped because it was stinking hot and i didn't have a pan large enough to catch it anyway, so after letting it cool, cleaned it up, bogged the slot full of liquid putty metal stuff and then had the nightmare of finding 5L of oil down the bottom of Burgoynes Gap. The guy I was with fortunately had 4L and the remainder was made up of chainsaw oil. Now I carry the putty and enough oil for a complete change, as again you can always get caught and drown the engine and need to drain it as well - and yes i have been in that predicament before also. This stuff is the tale of nightmares, but they can happen, so I reckon the extra 10kg is good insurance in my view.Only thing I would try to do is distribute it between the wheels not over the back, but thats just a simple. 'what can you do' situation I guess.

my third 256
27th May 2017, 09:15 AM
Plassy, you might recall my drama with the Chev conversion and punching a hole thru the sump at 222klm from new?I lost 5L of oil and it could not be stopped because it was stinking hot and i didn't have a pan large enough to catch it anyway, so after letting it cool, cleaned it up, bogged the slot full of liquid putty metal stuff and then had the nightmare of finding 5L of oil down the bottom of Burgoynes Gap. The guy I was with fortunately had 4L and the remainder was made up of chainsaw oil. Now I carry the putty and enough oil for a complete change, as again you can always get caught and drown the engine and need to drain it as well - and yes i have been in that predicament before also. This stuff is the tale of nightmares, but they can happen, so I reckon the extra 10kg is good insurance in my view.Only thing I would try to do is distribute it between the wheels not over the back, but thats just a simple. 'what can you do' situation I guess.
could get a couple of 5lt wine cask bladders and put oil in them then will fit anywhere

Cuppa
27th May 2017, 10:53 AM
Now I carry the putty and enough oil for a complete change, as again you can always get caught and drown the engine and need to drain it as well - and yes i have been in that predicament before also. This stuff is the tale of nightmares, but they can happen, so I reckon the extra 10kg is good insurance in my view.

I agree that the chances of a situation requiring the emergency need to replenish an engine-full of oil is pretty unlikely in our touring situation, but the impact of this happening without the oil is potentially huge. Given the choice of carrying 10kg of oil vs the potential for a recovery costing many thousands of dollars taking the oil seems wise. It doesn’t mean that we’ll carry the oil all the time, but having a spot allocated to it for when we think it is wise is the idea. Whether we fill the container will depend upon what sort of country, & how remote the country is we will be travelling in. Carrying it at the rear of the vehicle is not ideal, & if/when possible we will move the weight forward, however I feel that having the time to travel slowly & gently (i.e. to dawdle) is a significant mitigating factor re risk of weight induced problems. We will be ‘heavy’ but will not be travelling above our vehicle’s weight limit of 3900kg.

We could instead invest in aftermarket underbody ‘armour’, but the weight of this is likely to be more than that of the oil, & would be a permanent weight.

threedogs
27th May 2017, 12:21 PM
Finally stripped out my 3 gal alloy air tank, have a mate who will test it for me so thats peace of mind.
Ive been running this tank since about 1995. , it cant rust so thats good but my mate will do all the tests neccessary
so I'll know its safe. Originally I filled it via a $650 Big Balls 3/4hp compressor, but todays "Thumper" would out do it I think.
Along with another tank, dont know if I'll use it yet or not will run air tools, air horn and a front Pro-locker.
I think I have enough room to squeeeeeeze it underneath. 1995 they were only $40 from a place in Brisbane
doing street car suspension, My side tarp for my awning also arrived looks weatherproof to my eye.
Nearly time to go and get lost somewhere, .

threedogs
27th May 2017, 02:41 PM
Na! No rides in the back of the ute mate, was a rite of passage when I was younger and slimmer!

We packed the whole under 12s footy team in the back
of the ute OH&S my butt no one of us fell out

AB
27th May 2017, 03:55 PM
NO KIDS!!!

Finally did a service on the GQ, front diff took 1 litre... oops!!!

This leak is getting bad!

PeeBee
27th May 2017, 11:00 PM
Built a frig temp controller after failing to find one to buy, and it even works! Stuffed around with Pto pump hoses but still not installed due to wrong parts supply, dodged the wife and the ever present "to do list".

Yeti's Beast
27th May 2017, 11:20 PM
Built a frig temp controller after failing to find one to buy, and it even works! Stuffed around with Pto pump hoses but still not installed due to wrong parts supply, dodged the wife and the ever present "to do list".

How did you make your controller?
I once read somewhere that if your Waeco fridge controller throws in the towel, then modify your fridge with one of these
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271956087435

MB
28th May 2017, 12:00 AM
Had a ripper day too finally. No work, 14+ hours of me and me Trol time.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/230.jpg Strengthened the hubs to cope with front lockers. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/231.jpg Strengthened the arse end with a new/better panhard. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/232.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/233.jpg Beefed up the Drag Link. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/234.jpg Installed a first line of defence cheaper than I could buy the steel for. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/235.jpg Tie Rod received an upgrade too. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/236.jpg
Working means to an end :-)

jay see
28th May 2017, 12:10 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/230.jpg Strengthened the hubs to cope with front lockers. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/231.jpg Strengthened the arse end with a new/better panhard. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/232.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/233.jpg Beefed up the Drag Link. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/234.jpg Installed a first line of defence cheaper than I could buy the steel for. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/235.jpg Tie Rod received an upgrade too. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/236.jpg
Working means to an end :-)

Nice work markie.

That reminds I've still got a adjustable draglink to fit thanks to Mudski.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
28th May 2017, 08:43 AM
Finally stripped out my 3 gal alloy air tank, have a mate who will test it for me so thats peace of mind.
Ive been running this tank since about 1995. , it cant rust so thats good but my mate will do all the tests neccessary
so I'll know its safe. Originally I filled it via a $650 Big Balls 3/4hp compressor, but todays "Thumper" would out do it I think.
Along with another tank, dont know if I'll use it yet or not will run air tools, air horn and a front Pro-locker.
I think I have enough room to squeeeeeeze it underneath. 1995 they were only $40 from a place in Brisbane
doing street car suspension, My side tarp for my awning also arrived looks weatherproof to my eye.
Nearly time to go and get lost somewhere, .

Thanks for the 'jog' TD, as I lave a 4l reservoir and think I will use it to increase the holding capacity of oil in my hydraulic winch, since it's 100mm dia x 500mm long, should be able to squeeze it in somewhere, and it's stainless ax well.

Rossco
28th May 2017, 09:11 AM

Awsome Markie, she's really turning into a beast now. Is the winch up & running yet? ?

Winnie
28th May 2017, 09:12 AM
Whoah full on Mark and ready for a nice test trip!
It's a bloody serious work/play best of both worlds rig you've got now.

Bacho86
28th May 2017, 09:35 AM
Awsome Markie, she's really turning into a beast now. Is the winch up & running yet? ?

I was going to ask the same question, looks like the winch drum is still empty?

MB
28th May 2017, 10:18 AM
Nearly there......:-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/237.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/238.jpg

Winnie
28th May 2017, 10:23 AM
Got the freespool working now too? Keen to see how the Iskra motor goes Mark!

MB
28th May 2017, 10:26 AM
I've plumbed up the air lines, Matfew is kindly helping with all switches and wiring this week mate.

PeeBee
28th May 2017, 11:16 AM
Nearly there......:-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/237.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/238.jpg

Like the idea with the hook Mark, but is the hook big enough????? What a monster.

MB
28th May 2017, 11:26 AM
No struggling with double trunk protector ends now mate :-)

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2017, 11:52 AM
Not a fan of where you have your hook hanging MB when your winching in the final amount you will put load on that. Chances are that shackle will break and or the chain will stretch. If you end up going 24v then it won't stand a chance.

The Run On on a Himount is pretty full on mate, nothing like a low mount. In 24v it's full on. You might have seen the comp truck mount a "winch dildo" to their car hi up in PU flex to take up the load.

I would pull it up around your bar. If your worried about your paint them wrap it in some tape. It will pull hard mate.

MB
28th May 2017, 11:57 AM
Cheers Daz, appreciated mate. Don't believe it would have been an issue with its old 2.5hp but now the 6hp Iskra/Mahle your advice makes great sense :-)

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2017, 12:02 PM
Cheers Daz, appreciated mate. Don't believe it would have been an issue with its old 2.5hp but now the 6hp Iskra/Mahle your advice makes great sense :-)

I used to use a 10mm thick rubber O ring out of a 300d storm water pipe which wrapped around the top bar and it worked great for a couple of years.

I have a winch dildo going on the GQ now

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2017, 02:04 PM
Bolted the bonnet back on, due 2 my mechanic's workers not bothering 2 bolt it back on before sending it back 2 me......

Pretty crappy thing 2 bolt up by yourself!!!

threedogs
28th May 2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the 'jog' TD, as I lave a 4l reservoir and think I will use it to increase the holding capacity of oil in my hydraulic winch, since it's 100mm dia x 500mm long, should be able to squeeze it in somewhere, and it's stainless ax well.

on the outside of the chassis and body it might squeeeeze in up the front end.
If its a ute easier eh

Winnie
28th May 2017, 02:27 PM
Bolted the bonnet back on, due 2 my mechanic's workers not bothering 2 bolt it back on before sending it back 2 me......

Pretty crappy thing 2 bolt up by yourself!!!
Did they send it back to you with the spark plug tip removed?

threedogs
28th May 2017, 02:48 PM
No struggling with double trunk protector ends now mate :-)

TJM sell them they are suppose to be Plasma friendly.
Much smoother than the yellow latch lock I brought from the sling place

PeeBee
28th May 2017, 05:16 PM
How did you make your controller?
I once read somewhere that if your Waeco fridge controller throws in the towel, then modify your fridge with one of these
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271956087435

Yeti, apologies for the delay, been out all day shopping for a pair of chairs with my wife, 28,000 chairs later she selected the first one we looked at, can you believe that?

Anyway, here is the photo of the plastic box and the cheap ebay 20amp temp controller connected to the fridge using an Anderson plug, plus because i have such enormous faith in my electrical ability, I have a portable jumper lead so i can bypass the controller and use the Engel controller if it blows up.

Basically, the controller has two screen displays, one is your setpoint and the other is the actual internal fridge temp gained from the temp probe. The internal setpoint I run my fridge at is 1.5DegC. To get the controller to do the work instead of the crude Engel unit, turn the dial up on the Engel to freeze or wherever is past your setpoint, plug it into the external controller using the Anderson plug and you are away. the external control now modulates the temperature. I would think you could do this with the waeco as long as you can get power to the compressor motor. If the electronics are shot in the control board, you would have to do some re-wiring to drive the pump i think.

Here is the link to the item from an Aussie seller, but I think you can get them a lot cheaper ex China but longer delivery period. If you search 12V fridge controller there are a number there including the ones I have used and also @TD, but I have had mixed luck with those lately - some faulty parts and some due to clumsy workmanship on my behalf also!!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12v-DIGITAL-CAR-FRIDGE-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-THERMOSTAT-RELAY-WAECO-PRIMUS-/252834724905?hash=item3ade1fbc29:g:ZroAAOSwuLZY2w0 W72082

Yeti's Beast
28th May 2017, 05:21 PM
Cheers and thanks for the detailed info. I would believe your day of shopping. We have been looking for a new couch since Jan. Each time we spend an average of 2-3 hours in a store and walk away empty handed.
One day she will find something she likes

PeeBee
28th May 2017, 05:35 PM
on the outside of the chassis and body it might squeeeeze in up the front end.
If its a ute easier eh

Yes thinking up the front behind the winch somehow. Sides of chassis are out because already filled in those holes with storage boxes!

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2017, 06:20 PM
Did they send it back to you with the spark plug tip removed?

No that's still in there :( would of been nice if he could of removed it without taking the head off

gubigfish
28th May 2017, 08:20 PM
coated it in mud

macca
29th May 2017, 06:57 AM
coated it in mud

Me too, underneath at least the rest is covered in dust.

A bloody good weekend out on the tracks.

katwoman
5th June 2017, 02:06 PM
Got a new beaut wanky UV screen fitted.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/37.jpg

threedogs
5th June 2017, 02:14 PM

What a great colour lol

Mc4by
5th June 2017, 06:33 PM
Installed my full length alloy roof rack. Bit of fiddling to get the legs placed right. Would have been easier with another pair of hands.

Avo
5th June 2017, 06:35 PM
Installed my full length alloy roof rack. Bit of fiddling to get the legs placed right. Would have been easier with another pair of hands.

thinking about doing the same,heading off up north 1st july to see eldest daughter n grandkids......might take the boat aswell and just hello on the way through..lol

Mc4by
5th June 2017, 06:37 PM
thinking about doing the same,heading off up north 1st july to see eldest daughter n grandkids......might take the boat aswell and just hello on the way through..lol

The alloy weighs very little but has a 180 kg capacity so I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't crack.

michaelgreeny
11th June 2017, 08:54 PM
Finally finished some work wiring in some new switches and sockets in the back of the Patrol ready for a 5 week trip up North in 2 weeks time! Nice to tick a job off the list!

Installed 3 work lights on the roof rack. 1 on each side and 1 on the back. All bought from Lights

Installed a panel with 24/12V socket, USB port, 12V socket, Merit socket and Anderson Plug. Panel and Sockets purchased from Dukes 4x4.
Wired it up so simply pulling the panel out gives you access to the fuse box.

Winnie
11th June 2017, 11:38 PM

What do you think of it Kat?

Clunk
12th June 2017, 03:53 PM
Finally got meself and fitted one of these....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/101.jpg

Maxhead
12th June 2017, 03:55 PM

I thought seatbelt were compulsory in all vehicles

................on the road

Winnie
12th June 2017, 04:14 PM
Still reckon it's the best mod I've done for comfort. Great for taller people

Clunk
12th June 2017, 04:26 PM
I thought seatbelt were compulsory in all vehicles

Only required for vehicles with gay trays

Maxhead
12th June 2017, 04:30 PM
Only required for vehicles with gay trays

One day when you grow a set, you too can have a tray like that

Clunk
12th June 2017, 05:55 PM
One day when you grow a set, you too can have a tray like that

But I've already got a set of moobs

PeeBee
12th June 2017, 06:18 PM
Trial fitted the 2.5L custom hydraulic reservoir for front winch. All good, now for the trip to Pirtek for the fittings and finished.

BigRAWesty
12th June 2017, 08:51 PM
Finally fitted the new rack. TPC 2m on the dot from floor to top of rack

katwoman
12th June 2017, 09:05 PM
What do you think of it Kat?

Haven't really driven it yet to notice. Much nicer than the sand blasted one tho.

mudski
13th June 2017, 12:05 AM
Drove my Patrol through some lovely country side and got to get a view like this.
I did pretty well. I had a rather loud and concerning crack coming from the front rh hub when I engaged 4wd. So I did the entire weekends tracks in 2wd and on AT's. I was quite surprised how it went.

mudski
13th June 2017, 06:27 PM
Washed it for the first time in five months! Neglect or what?

Yeti's Beast
13th June 2017, 07:00 PM
I connected the emergency start function on my smart solenoid and installed a reverse camera so I can see my new camper when I'm backing up to it.

mudski
14th June 2017, 09:33 AM
I connected the emergency start function on my smart solenoid and installed a reverse camera so I can see my new camper when I'm backing up to it.

Yeah a reverse camera making hooking up to the camper so much easier hey. I have three lines on the screen when in reverse. Green, yellow then red, red being the closest to the car, this line i have right on top of the two ball/ hitch.I actually want to install a second camera higher up on the rear of the roof rack, and have a remote switch for this camera so I can look at the trailer to see how things are going whilst towing.

johno90
21st June 2017, 08:09 AM
Drove it haha! First time in months since starting to play with it, could not be any more happier boost response is just stupid 20psi by 1600rpm. My little experiment has worked well, my intake air temps under full load are 23 degrees!! with the water temp going into the water air cooler at 10 degrees. After I put some kms on it in the next week ill post up real world results and some piccies on what ive actually done to achieve it.

bazzaboy
21st June 2017, 05:28 PM
Stuck my 40amp smart charger on the batteries to keep them in good condition. I've been doing this once a month for some time now, as the Patrol is no longer my daily drive.

ad4x4
22nd June 2017, 05:33 PM
I made a cheap aluminium heat shield for my aftermarket cruise control actuator. It is mounted on the firewall high on LHS, so gets a fair bit of heat from the turbo and exhaust manifold. The instructions said mount away from heat, so I thought the shield might be worthwhile.

bazzaboy
23rd June 2017, 09:09 AM
Fitted one of these. There are a number of good right-ups on them on Y-tube but got no responses from members on various forums I frequent. 30 day money back if your not happy with it, so I'll give it a go.