PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

MEGOMONSTER
24th December 2014, 10:28 PM
Nothing I am not allowed to.... bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are only the nurse passing the tools to surgeon George.

MEGOMONSTER
24th December 2014, 10:37 PM
Changed over my K&N air filters from the Tallarook trip. A shop load of big insects and dust in the filter.

4bye4
30th December 2014, 10:07 PM
Drained the radiator and engine and replaced all the coolant. Cleaned the MAF which actually made a difference.
Changed the intercooler last week so now all the oil is inside the motor, not in the intake circuit.
Oh Yeh, then went for a drive no lights, no codes, no limp modes. All good.:beer:

TPC
30th December 2014, 10:20 PM
Fit two dual USB sockets in place of the ashtray.

mudnut
1st January 2015, 10:56 PM
Saw a few bumps forming under the rubber of the sliding windows. I found that it is very easy to strip the whole frame down. I cleaned out the gunk and rust on the frame, dried it and reassembled it. In the near future I will strip the frame back to bare metal. I am thinking that I will use fish oil and then a good rust resistant paint.

the evil twin
1st January 2015, 11:12 PM
Fitted a McHitch Auto Coupler so I can easily hitch my Van single handed.

Works awesome (no affiliation) http://mchitch.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_17&products_id=72

mudnut
2nd January 2015, 11:28 AM
Give us a couple of good pics of it all set up please, ET.

threedogs
2nd January 2015, 01:17 PM
Thats the mark 2 version very well made, and not over priced like some

the evil twin
2nd January 2015, 03:32 PM
Thats the mark 2 version very well made, and not over priced like some

I agree, I'm as happy as Rolf Harris at a Wiggles Concert with mine

threedogs
2nd January 2015, 03:36 PM
Changed over my K&N air filters from the Tallarook trip. A shop load of big insects and dust in the filter.

You may need a snorkle sock or a foam cover for the ram head

mudnut
2nd January 2015, 04:33 PM
I fitted lower coil spacers to try and stop the annoying grinding sound in the front end.Also tightened a loose engine mount bolt. I decided to work until I finished and nearly copped heat stroke. I am sitting inside drinking a milkshake, waiting for the day to cool down, so I can keep going.

After I took the picture I realised I forgot to stop the jack from going down too much leaving all the assembly weight on the brake hose and the breather hose popped off the body tube. Hope the brake hose is still intact.

growler2058
3rd January 2015, 03:23 PM
Took the fubar side steps off.
Gave her a n extra 1" lift ;)

Jonesy_sa
3rd January 2015, 03:57 PM
Fuel filter and rubber fuel lines in engine bay. Still a faint fuel smell so pollution gear and rear tank hoses next...

threedogs
3rd January 2015, 06:26 PM
Took the fubar side steps off.
Gave her a n extra 1" lift ;)

where's the love gone man ?

threedogs
3rd January 2015, 06:27 PM
I fitted lower coil spacers to try and stop the annoying grinding sound in the front end.Also tightened a loose engine mount bolt. I decided to work until I finished and nearly copped heat stroke. I am sitting inside drinking a milkshake, waiting for the day to cool down, so I can keep going.

After I took the picture I realised I forgot to stop the jack from going down too much leaving all the assembly weight on the brake hose and the breather hose popped off the body tube. Hope the brake hose is still intact.

Havent squashed to inner tube have you???

growler2058
In the "step crusher" at Loveday TD

mudnut
The brake hose is still intact. PHEW!! (see my previous post :icon_bonk:)

threedogs
3rd January 2015, 06:32 PM
In the "step crusher" at Loveday TD

that is sooooooo wrong on many levels, no more dirty pictures lol

growler2058
3rd January 2015, 08:16 PM
Top step of the step crusher
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53389&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53390&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53391&stc=1

Dinger
4th January 2015, 08:21 AM
Did the CREB and Bloomfield tracks two days ago

growler2058
4th January 2015, 09:04 AM
Did the CREB and Bloomfield tracks two days ago

:useless: Cmon man you know the drill

Dinger
4th January 2015, 01:12 PM
Corrected with pictures

Bloodyaussie
4th January 2015, 01:47 PM
Washed it again... spent 25 min at the car wash on the brake calipers alone... bloody Wombat mud.

Nice and clean now as is my wifes car... she returns tomorrow.

growler2058
4th January 2015, 02:34 PM
5 wheel rotation. More of a bastard of a job had do do wife's Prado as well. So a 10 wheel rotation

threedogs
4th January 2015, 02:37 PM
5 wheel rotation. More of a bastard of a job had do do wife's Prado as well. So a 10 wheel rotation

AAAHHHHh the love returns lol

Hodge
4th January 2015, 03:07 PM

That is an awesome wheel offset you have there mate :D .

mudnut
4th January 2015, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the toughest any GUrly could look.

MEGOMONSTER
4th January 2015, 08:29 PM
Finally unpacked everything from our camp trip.

Bacho86
6th January 2015, 07:44 PM
Started on giving her a good cut and polish.... Retrospectively I should have done the polish before the trip, but hey....

HuskyInAuz
6th January 2015, 08:47 PM
Attached is the picture of the installation of the UFI 18g turbo kit.

mudski
6th January 2015, 11:57 PM
Drove the dunger to JPC's for a new clutch this morning. Turns out there was a bucket load of mud in there and the rear main was leaking. Pick it up tomorrow. Then goes to Pro Axle on Thursday.

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2015, 10:07 AM
Turns out there was a bucket load of mud in there

I wonder where you picked it all up from. Lol. Wait not funny. Lol

Stropp
7th January 2015, 10:39 AM
Attached is the picture of the installation of the UFI 18g turbo kit.

no picture mate

mudski
7th January 2015, 10:42 AM
I wonder where you picked it all up from. Lol. Wait not funny. Lol

Yeah you live and learn hey? Well I didn't learn though...I spoke with them this morning, they had to do a few more things as the mud damage was pretty intense. They have fitted a bell housing breather to it and totally sealed the bell housing as well. Nearly fell over when I was told of the bill!!! But its all done now so no more bog holes Mick! I blame you! Lol. You were leading and I did hear over the radio your voice recommending no one to go through it, except for Mudski.:tease:
Tomorrow it goes in to Pro Axle to see what they can do about the drifting left issue.

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2015, 11:39 AM
Mick! I blame you!

You were leading and I did hear over the radio your voice recommending no one to go through it, except for Mudski.

I'm sure I said " no one go through, especially Mudski". PML.

threedogs
7th January 2015, 12:09 PM
Bog holes will cost you a fortune if you continue to drive them,
I did, but dont now unless I absolutely have to.

mudski
7th January 2015, 01:52 PM
Bog holes will cost you a fortune if you continue to drive them,
I did, but dont now unless I absolutely have to.

Yeah well after the bill I just got for the work done. Gawd! You'll keep Mick! You will get into your car one day and land on the floor as your seats will be gone and replaced will milk crates.:tease: All in the name of fun though...

mudski
7th January 2015, 06:38 PM
Booked in on Friday for new shoes too. Sick of these crap Coopers slipping all over the road and giving a rough and noisy ride.

sooty_10
7th January 2015, 06:42 PM
I pulled out my non functioning stebel airhorn, pulled it down and gave it a clean out. I now have a working airhorn again.

I also replaced the alternator plug after my trip to Bright where the connectors and wire broke and alternator lost all charge, I ended up doing a dodgy solder on the terminals and got it charging again.

Finally I wired up a trailer lead/plug with flat cable in behind the jack cover. All I have to do now is hang it out the back door when/if I tow anything.

big_fletch
7th January 2015, 07:10 PM
Booked in on Friday for new shoes too. Sick of these crap Coopers slipping all over the road and giving a rough and noisy ride.

What you looking at putting on this time?

mudski
7th January 2015, 10:46 PM
I pulled out my non functioning stebel airhorn, pulled it down and gave it a clean out. I now have a working airhorn again.

I also replaced the alternator plug after my trip to Bright where the connectors and wire broke and alternator lost all charge, I ended up doing a dodgy solder on the terminals and got it charging again.

Finally I wired up a trailer lead/plug with flat cable in behind the jack cover. All I have to do now is hang it out the back door when/if I tow anything.
No Chit! I had done all three of those aswell! But the alternator died anyway...

What you looking at putting on this time?

Putting some 33 inch BFG AT's on mate. Finally some decent tyres. We are towing the camper up to Merimbula on Monday morning and these Coopers are lethal in the wet, I'd get better grip running on rims. They need to go....

Hodge
8th January 2015, 01:03 PM
Just fitted up my scangauge in it's new spot. Neat and tucked away. It used to be double side velcroed next to the gear stick.
Happy with the result.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53621&stc=1

threedogs
8th January 2015, 01:13 PM
Putting some 33 inch BFG AT's on mate. Finally some decent tyres. We are towing the camper up to Merimbula on Monday morning and these Coopers are lethal in the wet, I'd get better grip running on rims. They need to go....[/QUOTE]

You'll get good miles from the BFG ats, they dont like being aired down and tend to tram track a bit when lower but still a good tyre

mudski
8th January 2015, 09:46 PM
Took the dunger to Pro Axle today. Fixed the drifting left issue and adjusted the toe out. Said my caster was spot on but the diff end bush in the adjustable panhard was stuffed. Luckily I keep these in stock! ;) And the only thing left to do but I can do later is put an adjustable top knuckle bearing in to straighten the left wheel so it won't wear the outside of the tyre. At $300 to do it, it will have to wait.
Hopefully the tyres turn up tomorrow and I'll feel like a teenage kid with new Reebok Pumps!

Drewboyaus
10th January 2015, 09:45 AM
Not today but yesterday BA and I did the swivel hub rebuild and wheel bearings on my old bus.
It's a long and grotty job but hanging out with a mate, playing with cars and talking shizen is why we're all here isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bloodyaussie
10th January 2015, 10:02 AM
Not today but yesterday BA and I did the swivel hub rebuild and wheel bearings on my old bus.
It's a long and grotty job but hanging out with a mate, playing with cars and talking shizen is why we're all here isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Always a pleasure Drew I enjoy your company.... I really dont enjoy doing a full hub rebuild but is very satisfying when complete.

Sir Roofy
10th January 2015, 10:07 AM
That jonathon cant help him self just loves getting elbow deep in it
and yes its good when you talk dribble and have companionship

well done bloodyaussie

Sir Roofy
10th January 2015, 10:09 AM
just fitted up my scangauge in it's new spot. Neat and tucked away. It used to be double side velcroed next to the gear stick.
Happy with the result.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53621&stc=1

whoopsy wrong channel should be 17

Hodge
10th January 2015, 07:34 PM
whoopsy wrong channel should be 17

Haha well spotted. It's actually always on scan unless we're on a trip. And it just happened to land on that channel when photo was taken.

Sir Roofy
10th January 2015, 08:04 PM
Haha well spotted. It's actually always on scan unless we're on a trip. And it just happened to land on that channel when photo was taken.

you have a good day mate so have you got that beast sorted yet

Hodge
10th January 2015, 08:20 PM
you have a good day mate so have you got that beast sorted yet

If you're referring to the leak, no not sorted. Just keeping an eye out on it and topping up if necessary. But otherwise going good.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 01:02 PM
So I've noticed a few little extra electrical things creeping up of late and at Cape jaffa mudnut pulls out the gauges and alternator is only producing 12.8v max..

So I pulled it of this arvo and no wonder why lol

So the brushes are also nearly finished so I'll replace them and the bearings while it's apart.
Looks like I'm up for a vacuum seal again. Only did it 12 months ago.

mudnut
18th January 2015, 01:19 PM
Is there actually an alternator under all that crap, Kallen? Just be extra careful with the winding conductors as they really don't like being flexed.

I slipped the seals out of the new bearings, washed the grease out and packed them 2/3 full with innox mx8 high temp, high pressure, water resistant grease. Don't over fill them as the grease expands when hot and forces its way out.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 03:13 PM
Is there actually an alternator under all that crap, Kallen? Just be extra careful with the winding conductors as they really don't like being flexed.

I slipped the seals out of the new bearings, washed the grease out and packed them 2/3 full with innox mx8 high temp, high pressure, water resistant grease. Don't over fill them as the grease expands when hot and forces its way out.

Haha. Yea there was lol.
So I'll degrease it all tonight and give a good wash up.

Cant seem to find how to replace the contacts. Is no visual way of opening the holder??

mudnut
18th January 2015, 03:17 PM
Some types are made to be replaced. I seem to remember some others are made so you buy the Regulator complete with new brushes. One one occasion as a desperate measure I held the springs back, cut the copper pig tails and resoldered the new ones on, but that was a different type, (a couple of decades ago).

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 03:29 PM
Geeze that would be a pain. Here is my unit

mudnut
18th January 2015, 03:39 PM
Have a look after you have taken the unit off, you might see a way of getting to where the pigtails are soldered.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 03:48 PM
Everything is soldered on to the board and board soldered to the coils. I can't remove board.

But I can replace the contacts. Just un soldered one and there a straight 8x5..
Any idea where I'd buy then from?

mudnut
18th January 2015, 03:55 PM
Contacts or carbon brushes? An auto elec, may have them. Maybe an auto shop. The downloaded manuals have an alternator overhaul section.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:21 PM
Contacts or carbon brushes? An auto elec, may have them. Maybe an auto shop. The downloaded manuals have an alternator overhaul section.

Sorry. Brushes lol
That made the search a bit easier lol

Rocket55
18th January 2015, 10:16 PM
Installed my Slimline 2 roof rack today from Opposite Lock. All I can say is "Not f***ng impressed" I will be talking to them tomorrow and I believe it will be coming off and going back to them. Biggest issue. Rack is flat, Patrol gutter is curved, all legs are the same length. Currently the clamps which are rubbish will need to crank down ie: bend the rack 30mm. This means both the front and rear legs will be pulling up and ALL the weight will be sitting on the centre legs. This thing costs a fortune and there's not one piece of stainless in the bolt pack and the whole bloody thing bolts together (32 bolts and nuts which will all rust) I ordered a shovel holder as well and I was give this tiny little "L" bracket and a single clamp that doesn't hold the shovel handle...WTF. Talk about pissed off. Hey Nic, can I buy that rack off you?

4bye4
18th January 2015, 11:09 PM
"Rack is flat, Patrol gutter is curved, all legs are the same length. Currently the clamps which are rubbish will need to crank down ie: bend the rack 30mm."
Careful you don't stretch the gutter mate. The rack may stay straight and the cutter may distort.

Rocket55
19th January 2015, 12:49 AM
I didn't clamp it down. It's not even close to fitting.

katwoman
19th January 2015, 06:24 PM
Gave the old girl an oil change and watered the light bar

threedogs
19th January 2015, 06:43 PM
Gave the old girl an oil change and watered the light bar

Looking good I'm about to do the same [lightbar] and Mega has told me it will fit underneath.
Oil change is always good.
Edit go figure same colour GU and same fragrant vanilla

threedogs
19th January 2015, 06:45 PM
Installed my Slimline 2 roof rack today from Opposite Lock. All I can say is "Not f***ng impressed" I will be talking to them tomorrow and I believe it will be coming off and going back to them. Biggest issue. Rack is flat, Patrol gutter is curved, all legs are the same length. Currently the clamps which are rubbish will need to crank down ie: bend the rack 30mm. This means both the front and rear legs will be pulling up and ALL the weight will be sitting on the centre legs. This thing costs a fortune and there's not one piece of stainless in the bolt pack and the whole bloody thing bolts together (32 bolts and nuts which will all rust) I ordered a shovel holder as well and I was give this tiny little "L" bracket and a single clamp that doesn't hold the shovel handle...WTF. Talk about pissed off. Hey Nic, can I buy that rack off you?

Not good at all, hope they put it right without much pain

oncedisturbed
19th January 2015, 06:47 PM
Hobbled out the front, looked at the troll then hobbled back inside :(

katwoman
19th January 2015, 06:58 PM
Looking good I'm about to do the same [lightbar] and Mega has told me it will fit underneath. Oil change is always good. Edit go figure same colour GU and same fragrant vanilla

I had my way, I'd change the colour.
The new light bar is just a quick fix for the trip cos we'll be traveling roo country early.

growler2058
19th January 2015, 06:58 PM
Packed it for the Aussie Day meetup

threedogs
19th January 2015, 07:40 PM
Hobbled out the front, looked at the troll then hobbled back inside :(

know that feeling only too well, lately its easier to ly down than sit, thats how bad its getting

Rocket55
19th January 2015, 08:48 PM

Spoke with and took it back to Opposite Lock, no problems. They were really good about it. Shame it didn't work out as planned.

BigRAWesty
19th January 2015, 09:15 PM
Spoke with and took it back to Opposite Lock, no problems. They were really good about it. Shame it didn't work out as planned.

So it's not just a once of defect?? Its how there made??

But to be honest I think you'll find most racks are flat and pull down to the gutters

mudski
19th January 2015, 10:25 PM

But to be honest I think you'll find most racks are flat and pull down to the gutters

...which is not right.

jay see
19th January 2015, 10:36 PM
Gave it a sponge bath. All nice n' clean again.

Rocket55
19th January 2015, 11:02 PM

No, couple of issues I had with it. Not sure if others would feel the same through. Firstly I was given the wrong legs. I was given GQ legs instead of GU legs which explains why it was so high off the roof. This could have been resolved easily by getting GU legs. Although the "gap" would still have been there as both leg sets say all 3 legs are the same length. So same problem, just closer to the roof.

Other issues I had are. Originally these platforms were one welded piece, now they come as an "IKEA" flat pack and they bolt together with 30 odd bolts and nyloc nuts, even the sides are 2 pieces to make the 2.1m length. To me this doesn't seem as strong, could be wrong though. It's a top brand and pricey item. All the bolts were just black cap bolts, all the hardware was nickel plated. The black bolts would start rusting within the week and the nickel stuff a year or so latter, especially when connected to an already rusting bolt. The clamping system to me was very rough and agricultural, given the slick design of the rest of the rack, now I know why there's no close ups of the clamps on their site. To my bewilderment there is NO rubber supplied for the gutter mounts, they expect you to mount them metal to metal. The shovel mount I was supplied only had 1 clamp (which wouldn't clamp my plumbers shovel) and the other end is support by an "L" bracket and not secured in any way. Add it all up and for the money it wasn't worth it for me, which is dissapointing as I deliberated long and hard over it and went for it based on what xperiences others on the net have had. After seeing it in the flesh, I'd rather get a rhino which is cheaper, better accessories and available at every 2nd corner store. The Opposite Lock guy understood where I was coming from.

Stropp
20th January 2015, 12:08 AM
I have a tracklander rack and cannot fault it, have a look at them.

BigRAWesty
20th January 2015, 12:34 AM
No, couple of issues I had with it. Not sure if others would feel the same through. Firstly I was given the wrong legs. I was given GQ legs instead of GU legs which explains why it was so high off the roof. This could have been resolved easily by getting GU legs. Although the "gap" would still have been there as both leg sets say all 3 legs are the same length. So same problem, just closer to the roof.

Other issues I had are. Originally these platforms were one welded piece, now they come as an "IKEA" flat pack and they bolt together with 30 odd bolts and nyloc nuts, even the sides are 2 pieces to make the 2.1m length. To me this doesn't seem as strong, could be wrong though. It's a top brand and pricey item. All the bolts were just black cap bolts, all the hardware was nickel plated. The black bolts would start rusting within the week and the nickel stuff a year or so latter, especially when connected to an already rusting bolt. The clamping system to me was very rough and agricultural, given the slick design of the rest of the rack, now I know why there's no close ups of the clamps on their site. To my bewilderment there is NO rubber supplied for the gutter mounts, they expect you to mount them metal to metal. The shovel mount I was supplied only had 1 clamp (which wouldn't clamp my plumbers shovel) and the other end is support by an "L" bracket and not secured in any way. Add it all up and for the money it wasn't worth it for me, which is dissapointing as I deliberated long and hard over it and went for it based on what xperiences others on the net have had. After seeing it in the flesh, I'd rather get a rhino which is cheaper, better accessories and available at every 2nd corner store. The Opposite Lock guy understood where I was coming from.

Yea wow. That is very poor.
I'd expect at least graded stainless bolts.
And that shovel mount sounds shoit.
I'd be wanting full money back to.
Hopefully you have jumped on a fb Page or 2 of theirs and vented some frustration towards the quality. Obviously customer service is good at this outlet but geeze. What a let down

BigRAWesty
20th January 2015, 04:23 PM
Sooo.
I've semi rebuilt the alternator.
So new bearings and brushes.
A good clean out.
But... Still maxing at 13.8v.

So next step is a new diode plate. Around $50 the lecy can get them for to suit the unit I have and a direct plug to Nissan loom instead of a Hitachi to Nissan adapter.
Anyway. It'll do for now.
It's still not throwing the dual battery solenoid so I'm a bit annoyed about that but I'll manage.
Anyway. At least it's clean lol

mudnut
20th January 2015, 04:37 PM
Try the wreckers. They may have an old alternator with good components.

BigRAWesty
20th January 2015, 04:44 PM
Yeah one day lol.
Got a few other things needed first

mrflibbles
25th January 2015, 06:42 PM
Put a new Radiator in the old bus, only to have the starter motor die!
So I gave it a wash and it will sit there till i can afford a new starter motor!

Dinger
26th January 2015, 08:32 PM
Got the GU a bit muddy and put the GQ up for sale on Gumtree

Stropp
26th January 2015, 08:53 PM
Turned the boost up to 20 psi :)

Woof
26th January 2015, 09:02 PM
Turned the boost up to 20 psi :)

I was running 25 in the Q mate, did the clutch and rear engine seal.................be careful

Stropp
27th January 2015, 12:42 AM
Yeh mate easy does it, I may back it down to 18

K1W1
27th January 2015, 12:51 AM
Anyway, at least the bearing grease all seemed to be fine, so I'll source a retaining clip, add a bit more grease and make things right tomorrow.

I did about 50k km in mine with no clip on either side, fitting them does not seem to have made much if any noticeable difference.

FNQGU
27th January 2015, 07:44 AM
I think you're right, but I put em in anyway, with a nice new set of screws too. All good now.

Dinger
27th January 2015, 08:28 PM
Sold the GQ and covered the GU in mud again

Hodge
27th January 2015, 08:32 PM
New bit of light LED kit.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54512&stc=1

threedogs
28th January 2015, 11:44 AM
Wired up my roof rack, as I put some clearance lights on, they may also serve as DRLs not sure yet.
Plus they are indicators as well.
The 27watt flood light at the back I decided I'll use via a switch in the back to keep the troops happy.
I have plenty of reverse lights as such

sooty_10
28th January 2015, 06:57 PM
Finished rebuilding my winch after I pulled it down to work out why it was intermittent. Turns out last time I rebuilt it I used red urethane paint on the brush housing which ended up seizing the brushes, so after working for a little while the brushes shortened enough to no longer make sufficient contact with the armature. Long story short it's all back together and functioning 100% on the bench. Now to finish putting it back in the bull bar. I also am going to run an air horn compressor through it this time so should also stop water entry and run cooler :)

dave97
28th January 2015, 07:57 PM
Lubricated the hinges on the doors and went ebaying for electrical cable

Hodge
31st January 2015, 08:29 PM
Re-located the winch control box. I hated the way it looks sitting on the bullbar. So toying with this idea, of mounting it behind the grill onto that center bracket that the grill rests onto. Bolted on, fitted and worked out absolutely perfectly, it's as if it was designed for it.
Now these Zeon boxes are meant to be fully sealed, so don't trust it, because not it's somewhat sitting on it's side, I'm unsure about rain from above. Otherwise it's going elsewhere.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54621&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54622&stc=1

Patrol'n
1st February 2015, 09:06 AM
Last couple of weeks, I have added a rhino rack awning, rhino roof tray, racks etc, a safari snorkel, and 50mm tough dog suspension lift, amazing the difference the new suspension makes!

BigRAWesty
1st February 2015, 09:43 AM
Last couple of weeks, I have added a rhino rack awning, rhino roof tray, racks etc, a safari snorkel, and 50mm tough dog suspension lift, amazing the difference the new suspension makes!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Patrol'n
1st February 2015, 10:50 AM
I would love to add pics, I've tried before off my iPad and it won't upload them??? My computer won't connect to the internet anymore, something wrong with it but it's old and I can't be arsed fixing it. Can someone tell me if there's a trick to uploading pics off an iPad?

Stropp
1st February 2015, 03:36 PM
I would love to add pics, I've tried before off my iPad and it won't upload them??? My computer won't connect to the internet anymore, something wrong with it but it's old and I can't be arsed fixing it. Can someone tell me if there's a trick to uploading pics off an iPad?

Yes get the forum runner app and upload the pics through that, easy as :)

growler2058
1st February 2015, 03:39 PM
Pulled the centre of the dash out to get to the air vent that sh1t itself on the way to Nisspissds meetup. All good except now cant get demist only. Still better than demist only though ;)

Clunk
1st February 2015, 06:09 PM

yes........ get an android tablet of phone instead and ditch the crapple piece of poop where no one has the misfortune of ever coming across such a horrid device again!!!!! hahahahahaha

either that or MudrunnerTD or Oncedisturbed, or another member might be able to give you some pointers ;):)

Hodge
1st February 2015, 07:53 PM
yes........ get an android tablet of phone instead and ditch the crapple piece of poop where no one has the misfortune of ever coming across such a horrid device again!!!!! hahahahahaha

A man who knows his stuff. There is still hope left in humanity... I'd buy you a beer just for this!

;):)

Stropp
2nd February 2015, 01:07 PM
A man who knows his stuff. There is still hope left in humanity... I'd buy you a beer just for this!

ha ha clunk knows stuff (all) lol

Stropp
2nd February 2015, 01:09 PM
getting the 4.33 diff gear fitted today :) that should make a lot of difference.

Clunk
2nd February 2015, 01:16 PM
ha ha clunk knows stuff (all) lol

Hey I know stuff....... Just none of it is of any use to anyone

Clunk
2nd February 2015, 01:24 PM

Only saying what everyone already knows but dare not speak out lol

Parksy
2nd February 2015, 07:58 PM
Treated the injected tb42 to some fresh twin tip spark plugs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/3600C77A-6CD9-47F7-8C5E-48BA82E366C5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/3600C77A-6CD9-47F7-8C5E-48BA82E366C5.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/49788083-BAC2-43C2-AFCC-E58A33A932F4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/49788083-BAC2-43C2-AFCC-E58A33A932F4.jpg.html)

Rocket55
3rd February 2015, 06:21 AM
Hmm, bit difficult to see the twin tips there Parksy, where as on the brand of spark plugs I prefer using to get me going, you can clearly see they are twin tipped :D:D

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/Rocket5555/Gifs/1C6BDC08-D009-4F98-9237-5AF3B6FE64F2_zpsxc06kzxj.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Rocket5555/media/Gifs/1C6BDC08-D009-4F98-9237-5AF3B6FE64F2_zpsxc06kzxj.jpg.html)

threedogs
3rd February 2015, 07:47 AM
Hmm, bit difficult to see the twin tips there Parksy, where as on the brand of spark plugs I prefer using to get me going, you can clearly see they are twin tipped :D:D

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/Rocket5555/Gifs/1C6BDC08-D009-4F98-9237-5AF3B6FE64F2_zpsxc06kzxj.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Rocket5555/media/Gifs/1C6BDC08-D009-4F98-9237-5AF3B6FE64F2_zpsxc06kzxj.jpg.html)

WOW that woke me up, what a fine example, two thumbs up LOL
no wind perfect for fishing lol

Covo71
3rd February 2015, 09:48 PM
Installed a remote to the existing central locking. $50 from jaycar. Now don't have to wait at my door and wait for the wifey to get her act together to lock it up.

TPC
3rd February 2015, 09:59 PM
Had a 3 inch Genie exhaust fitted today. :)

Cuppa
3rd February 2015, 10:11 PM
Had a 3 inch Genie exhaust fitted today. :)

And ........... first impressions?

And what did your fitting cost?

I’m picking up my Redarc gauges tomorrow, so can now finally book in the car to get the exhaust fitted. (Waited so the exhaust fitting place can put the pyro sensor in at the same time).

TPC
3rd February 2015, 11:03 PM
And ........... first impressions?

And what did your fitting cost?

I’m picking up my Redarc gauges tomorrow, so can now finally book in the car to get the exhaust fitted. (Waited so the exhaust fitting place can put the pyro sensor in at the same time).

First impression is notably more power and the boost comes up quickly, much nicer to drive.

Installation cost was higher than i thought it would be at over $400, they had to replace the studs on the turbo.
I rang a few places and they all charged the same hourly rate and would not give a fixed price.

Cuppa
4th February 2015, 11:01 AM
First impression is notably more power and the boost comes up quickly, much nicer to drive.

Good to hear, I’m looking forward to getting mine fitted.
Just picked up these babies this morning. (Now I just gotta suss out how to wire them up!)

threedogs
4th February 2015, 02:41 PM

Installation cost was higher than i thought it would be at over $400, they had to replace the studs on the turbo.
I rang a few places and they all charged the same hourly rate and would not give a fixed price.

If you have gauges fitted have you noticed lower EGT's or faster spool up

TPC
4th February 2015, 04:35 PM
If you have gauges fitted have you noticed lower EGT's or faster spool up

Have not wired up the Pyro yet, will do it this weekend but never had it on old exhaust so can't compare.
Definitely noticed the faster spool up.

Cuppa
5th February 2015, 02:42 PM

I just booked in for Saturday morning to get mine fitted. On the phone they reckoned $240 “plus a bit extra if the turbo studs are a problem". I started to tell him how Genie say to re-use the turbo to dump pipe gasket & he was already across that which gave me a bit of confidence in them. I feel a bit like a kid the night before Christmas. :)

Did you have the exhaust joint fit the Pyro sensor or are you going to do it yourself?

Stropp
5th February 2015, 06:22 PM
finally got the 4.33 diff gears and pinions in and wired the blackvue to permanent power so it recirds all the time when moving or on a movement sensor when parked, the diff gears make it easier to take of and for cornering you dont need to change back down a gear, now i just need to get it down the beach for a workout. Also changed a tie rod end that was giving a slight wobble in the steering.

Woof
5th February 2015, 07:03 PM
New radiator, water pump casing thingy............don't know what else, been at my mechanics for 2 days so far getting ready for my trip

TPC
5th February 2015, 07:03 PM
I just booked in for Saturday morning to get mine fitted. On the phone they reckoned $240 “plus a bit extra if the turbo studs are a problem". I started to tell him how Genie say to re-use the turbo to dump pipe gasket & he was already across that which gave me a bit of confidence in them. I feel a bit like a kid the night before Christmas. :)

Did you have the exhaust joint fit the Pyro sensor or are you going to do it yourself?

I had them fit the Pyro sensor and tie up the cable for me to wire up.

MEGOMONSTER
6th February 2015, 05:01 AM
Yesterday I got my trailer plug socket replaced as I ripped off the lid, the aux battery replaced under warranty, as it failed again.
I got a rattle in the rear barn door fixed, they found a loose bolt that needed tightening.
Also have my 90k service getting done today.

Semmo
6th February 2015, 08:28 AM
Built a set of draws for the back with a slide out table, added USB, 2 x 12V & Anderson plug for fridge. Still to come fridge drop slide.

HuskyInAuz
6th February 2015, 08:29 PM
Installed new airbox top, hose... No more SUCKING chest wound sounds.

Installed new intercooler hoses, much better fit, temps seem lower. We'll see tomorrow when I go for a run with the CT.

Installed boost gauge I've had in the twin pod for a year.. Now I know.

Dinger
7th February 2015, 08:39 AM
Installed a led light strip along the cargo barrier

threedogs
7th February 2015, 09:05 AM
Installed a led light strip along the cargo barrier

Gotta love LEDs plenty of light minimum current draw

threedogs
7th February 2015, 09:07 AM
@ SEMMO did you install merit or just 12v cig.
Should avoid 12v cig not the best or most reliable connection
merit or anderson are Ok.

threedogs
7th February 2015, 09:10 AM
Just fitted my turbo beanie, now I'll see if all the hype surrounding Thermal dynamics is founded.
Have been taking notes on my EgTs lately so we'll see what happens

PITB but decided to wire it on with SS lock wire, as its way to fiddly to use the springs supplied
Main thing is its on and a nice snug fit too

mudnut
7th February 2015, 10:43 AM

Sorry folks. Must've pressed the wrong buttons.

mudnut
7th February 2015, 11:03 AM
What I really wanted to ask, was how much do the twin tipped spark plugs cost, and how long is the expected service life?

threedogs
7th February 2015, 11:13 AM
nice mistake BTW
dont they advertise them as 100K plugs

mudnut
7th February 2015, 12:45 PM
Dunno, TD. I was hoping for a link, but but I have realised I have data again so I will do a search.

Cuppa
7th February 2015, 01:02 PM

I just got home from the exhaust place, via a 30km ‘detour’. Good news & not so good news. The not so good news is that the Genie pipe didn’t fit as well as it should have, the first section of pipe after the dump pipe was, as fabricated, going to sit hard against the chassis rail. Not good & the last place I wanted it because that is where I have the extended coolant hose running. I didn’t know about this until I went to pick it up & was told that they had needed to cut the pipe & rotate the lower part of it a little before re-welding it to make it fit. (see pic). Of course this was the section of pipe I had had ceramic coated. They sprayed silver over the weld & it doesn’t look as though the ceramic coating has been damaged where it’s needed. As it is I think they did the right thing & appear to have made a reasonably neat job of it. What else could they have done - they’d already cut the old pipe off. Suggestions were made about the possibility of the pipe having ’slipped’ in the jig during manufacture. Not sure how my warranty from Genie now stands.
I’d like to think that giving the dump pipe studs & nuts several soakings of CRC yesterday helped - no broken studs. :) All up installation cost was $294.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/21.jpg

My first impressions driving it are, unsurprisingly, like TPC’s. No huge ‘kick in the pants’, but noticeably more power & more free revving. It is indeed like having another gear. The most noticeable ‘symptoms’ of improvement to me are the reduction in low rev ‘transmission growl’ when pulling away, simply because the revs build more quickly, and also the ability to hold top gear far more easily. At 100kph it is doing 2300rpm, which I think is about 200rpm or 300rpm less than before. Because of the weight of my Patrol I have generally tended to change down to 4th on many hills. My ‘test hill’ near home I took a few days ago, needing to change down to 4th to keep revs above 2000rpm. Today on the same hill I remained in 5th comfortably, backing off a bit when I found I was doing 110kph & accelerating.

So, no more exhaust fumes in the cab from the old (original) flex joint, & a nicer car to drive. I’m pleased that it sounds no louder than the original set up although slightly disappointed that it actually doesn’t sound any different.

Now to cut the turbo heat shield to clear the pyro sensor & to fit the gauges. On that note last night I bought these (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F2PCS-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-APM-%2F161583300236%3Fpt%3DAU_Car_Parts_Accessories%26 amp%3Bhash%3Ditem259f1d7e8c) on ebay. Anyone used them? I hadn’t seen them before.

threedogs
7th February 2015, 02:11 PM
Nothing showing on that link buddy , is that a brake line up against the exhaust?
Need to test on a corrigated road see if it hits the chassis

BigRAWesty
7th February 2015, 02:30 PM
I just got home from the exhaust place, via a 30km 'detour'. Good news & not so good news. The not so good news is that the Genie pipe didn't fit as well as it should have, the first section of pipe after the dump pipe was, as fabricated, going to sit hard against the chassis rail. Not good & the last place I wanted it because that is where I have the extended coolant hose running. I didn't know about this until I went to pick it up & was told that they had needed to cut the pipe & rotate the lower part of it a little before re-welding it to make it fit. (see pic). Of course this was the section of pipe I had had ceramic coated. They sprayed silver over the weld & it doesn't look as though the ceramic coating has been damaged where it's needed. As it is I think they did the right thing & appear to have made a reasonably neat job of it. What else could they have done - they'd already cut the old pipe off. Suggestions were made about the possibility of the pipe having 'slipped' in the jig during manufacture. Not sure how my warranty from Genie now stands. I'd like to think that giving the dump pipe studs & nuts several soakings of CRC yesterday helped - no broken studs. :) All up installation cost was $294. My first impressions driving it are, unsurprisingly, like TPC's. No huge 'kick in the pants', but noticeably more power & more free revving. It is indeed like having another gear. The most noticeable 'symptoms' of improvement to me are the reduction in low rev 'transmission growl' when pulling away, simply because the revs build more quickly, and also the ability to hold top gear far more easily. At 100kph it is doing 2300rpm, which I think is about 200rpm or 300rpm less than before. Because of the weight of my Patrol I have generally tended to change down to 4th on many hills. My 'test hill' near home I took a few days ago, needing to change down to 4th to keep revs above 2000rpm. Today on the same hill I remained in 5th comfortably, backing off a bit when I found I was doing 110kph & accelerating. So, no more exhaust fumes in the cab from the old (original) flex joint, & a nicer car to drive. I'm pleased that it sounds no louder than the original set up although slightly disappointed that it actually doesn't sound any different. Now to cut the turbo heat shield to clear the pyro sensor & to fit the gauges. On that note last night I bought these (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F705-53470-19255-0%2F1%3Fcampid%3D5336709507%26amp%3Btoolid%3D10001 %26amp%3Bmpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com% 252Frover%252F1%252F705-53470-19255-0%252F1%253Fcampid%253D5336709507%2526amp%253Btool id%253D10001%2526amp%253Bmpre%253Dhttp%25253A%2525 2F%25252Fwww.ebay.com.au%25252Fitm%25252F221682056 832%25253FssPageName%25253DSTRK%25253AMEWNX%25253A IT%252526amp%25253B_trksid%25253Dp3984.m1497.l2649 ) on ebay. Anyone used them? I hadn't seen them before.

What a pain. All that extra money and it doesn't fit.
That weld though looks crap to mate. Huge weak spot as it's not filled correctly, not even completely welded...
That could be the ceramic coat to making it a pita to weld. But still they should have ground a bit more of and it Should be a nice full join.
If it was me mate I'd get a letter from the installers while its fresh as to what they did and why and take it to genie. Genie should replace it and get it coated for you. It is their product which failed after you forked out extra to. Anyway. Seems the upgrade is a worthy one.

threedogs
7th February 2015, 02:58 PM
If thats a weld you circled I'd be taking it back .I agree with Kallen
why wouldnt it fit its,, for your model isnt it??

Cuppa
7th February 2015, 04:53 PM
The link is fixed.

I know I’m not a welder like you two, & although I think Kallen is probably correct that the ceramic coating made things more difficult than they might otherwise have been, I’ve had a closer look & I think that the weld is probably better than it looks in the photo. That one small spot which looks like a hole has weld fill behind it. It’s more like a bit of ‘overlap’. I may be wrong, but my judgement here ‘on the ground’ is that the weld is likely ‘good enough’..... hopefully. That said, I agree that the pipe should have fitted properly, & by properly I mean not running along the chassis. I will contact Genie to see what their response is. TD I double-checked re that line up against the pipe. It’s a classic case of a photo not telling the truth - it’s fine, nowhere near the pipe.

4bye4
7th February 2015, 05:04 PM
On that note last night I bought these (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F2PCS-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-APM-%2F161583300236%3Fpt%3DAU_Car_Parts_Accessories%26 amp%3Bhash%3Ditem259f1d7e8c) on ebay. Anyone used them? I hadn’t seen them before.
Yes used one to feed my UHF and also another one to feed TomTom. Had them in for over 6mths and they seem to work fine.

Got mine from Jaycar.

Agronaught
10th February 2015, 06:57 AM
Finally got the snits with the dodgy electrical setup in the patrol. I had to empty the back so the LPG tank could be removed, so took the opportunity to right a few wrongs.

I've replaced all the radio coax with LMR200 which removed a little engine noise from the hf reception.

Intstalled a ctek ds250 in place of the jaycar charger.

Mounted everything (radios, inverter, charger) to a removable board that locks in next to the drawers/fridge.

Added a small solar panel to test the setup.

Its nice that for the first time since installing a battery in the rear to see the voltage increase over a couple of days. The old charger would discharge the battery when powered off, it was a bad design where I had to add a relay to take the charger out of circuit when not in use.

I really like the ctek. I bought this unit in preference to the Redarc on recommendation from the forum. Good call gents, the ctek is precisely what I wanted. I especially like the way it will charge the main battery from solar when the auxiliary is fully charged :)

Next step will be a larger solar panel from eBay.

J

Majestic
10th February 2015, 01:49 PM
Went shopping on Ebay for the GQ and bought a 2 inch lift kit with heavy duty springs, a bush replacement kit, a rear diff and hub rebuild kit. Now just waiting to see if the brother and law can find a cheaper price for new front and rear wheel bearings as Ebay seems a little pricey.

Agronaught
12th February 2015, 03:27 AM
Replaced the rear battery with a 55AH optima, which will take the rear battery supply up to 160AH depending on the configuration as I put the 105AH in and out as needed. The optima is a permanent install.

I need to make/buy a desulphator to see if I can rejuvinate the older batteries at all. Hopefully the new ctek charger and solar panel will take better care of the batteries when I'm not using the car.

growler2058
12th February 2015, 04:01 AM
Got given superior engineering swaybar disconnects

BigRAWesty
12th February 2015, 04:24 AM
Got given superior engineering swaybar disconnects

Nice one. So one front and one rear I'm guessing??

Agronaught
13th February 2015, 08:37 AM
Just ordered a 200 watt solar panel to go on the roof bars. Hopefully there will still be enough space up there for the swag once is up, but no more failed batteries due to poor charging for me :)

BigRAWesty
13th February 2015, 09:15 AM
Just ordered a 200 watt solar panel to go on the roof bars. Hopefully there will still be enough space up there for the swag once is up, but no more failed batteries due to poor charging for me :)

200w. You running a park??
Definitely no lack of power for you

Stropp
13th February 2015, 02:19 PM
had a mate make me an adaptor from the heavy duty spring base to fit my extendable sand flag, made from stainless and he did a great job, no more floppy flag lol.

Cuppa
13th February 2015, 04:20 PM
I know everyone’s seen’em before, but you haven’t seen mine! Proof that I have managed to wire them up & get them working! I’m a bit chuffed with myself. Making that last connection to power & turning them on was a bit like starting up a rebuilt motor for the first time - you think you’ve done it all correctly, you’ve double checked, but it’s still a heart stopping moment - followed by extreme ‘chuffed-ness’ when it all comes together.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/32.jpg

Took it for a spin to see what sort of readings I’d get. EGT peaked out at 550 deg.C.once, but mainly stayed between 300 & 400, although it isn’t hard to get it up to 500-510 if the right boot is planted. I think the alarm may need to be raised from the 500deg.C I set it at. Maybe to 550? After a few spins ‘around the block’ it dropped back down to about 200deg.C at idle fairly quickly, I had intended to let it drop to 150 deg.C before switching off, but I reckon I’d have been there for some time, so switched off at a tad under 200.
Max boost I saw was 9.4psi.
Oil pressure mainly sat between 60 & 80 psi, but triggered the alarm set at 20psi when I slowed down to turn of the highway & coasted for a short distance. I re-set the alarm to 10psi. At idle it reads between 18 & 22psi.
Coolant temp I was quite surprised at, thought it would run hotter, but it was fairly stable at around 90 deg.C & the ambient temps were fairly warm today. As expected the factory temp gauge just sat at a tad under half way as usual whilst the new gauge showed anything from 60 through to 90 when first leaving home. It confirmed that the factory gauge is, at best an indicator of only ‘OK’ & ‘Oh sh*t’.

Not particularly impressed with the Redarc instructions for setting up, but a bit of trial & error got me through without frying anything.

Any comments on my readings - (stock motor except for 3” exhaust) would be welcome. Also your thoughts on what changes, if any, I might expect to see in the readings following EGR blocking & a dyno tune aimed at torque & economy & long term reliability (rather than power & speed). Suggestions as to what I might ask for readings wise when taking for a tune also welcome.

TPC
13th February 2015, 04:27 PM
Cuppa did you have to install a temp probe into the radiator?

threedogs
13th February 2015, 04:30 PM
Maybe a modest boost increase will help EGTs I dont think economy and your ute go together
weighing so much, driven sedately with the van after a dyno would give you some solid touring figures
Switches look great you'll forget they are there after a while,
Good point on the temp gauge too , a decent after market one should be mandatory

Sir Roofy
13th February 2015, 04:31 PM
Dont forget that you will be towing your camper so keep that in mind when going to dyno
maybe take the ct for a spin around the block and see what your temps are

Cuppa
13th February 2015, 04:48 PM
Cuppa did you have to install a temp probe into the radiator?

No, I did the same as Macca. I have a third hole on the thermostat housing alongside the factory sender units (one for the factory temp gauge & the other which is used by the glow plug timer I believe). What the purpose of the hole is I have no idea, but it has a 12mm x1.5mm thread, so like Macca I used an adaptor to take my ⅛NPT threaded sensor. http://speedflowdirect.com.au/itemdetailspage/46311 - bought mine on eBay. You can see a pic of Macca’s here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1581-MacTrol/page2&highlight=Temperature+gauge) - post #64.

Cuppa
13th February 2015, 06:19 PM
Dont forget that you will be towing your camper so keep that in mind when going to dyno
maybe take the ct for a spin around the block and see what your temps are

A good idea, I’ll do that. When you say ‘keep that in mind when going to the dyno’ & given that I’ve never been near a dyno before, are you suggesting that I just tell the tuner “this is what I plan to be doing with the vehicle” or should I be more specific & ask for specifics e.g. max EGT @ X revs?

What are the differences in egt’s you see at say 90kph between when you are pulling your CT & when you’re not? (I realise mine will be different due to different motor & different CT, but I’m interested in what sort of variations you might see).

I was surprised that the EGT’s didn’t seem especially rev related, but rather were more ‘work’ related. e.g. went higher when pulling up hill in a high gear, reducing if I changed down.
Yet on the flat I could be cruising along at 110 with only 350deg showing. I was also surprised at how quickly the egt’s could rise & fall. Need more time to suss out the relationship between boost & egt’s.

Winnie
13th February 2015, 06:22 PM
Tell the tuner what you plan to do.

Punderhead
13th February 2015, 08:21 PM
Sold it :(

Punderhead
13th February 2015, 08:26 PM
But I have another on the way!

macca
14th February 2015, 05:19 AM
Cuppa, well done.
There is no better feeling than the one after successful completion of a good job.
Some data, pre and post dyno tune.
New tips were fitted to injectors, pump serviced, glow plugs checked, turbo checked, new filters, pre and post tune run on dyno.
EGT was 630, now 550 max
Water range 75 - 105 no change
Boost was 9.6, now 15.1 max. (They say its about 13psi.)
Those are my gauge readings.
RWBHP was 97, now 122 max (at 120 kph 4th gear)
Over 125 RWBHP needs lots more fuel, so they limit tune for economics in my case.
I seem to be 2 litres per100 klm better, only one tank so far.
But what a car to drive, goes so much better.
Local 5th gear test hill, was 100 at bottom 88 at the top. Now 100 at the top.
Very happy.

Sir Roofy
14th February 2015, 08:43 AM
a good idea, i’ll do that. When you say ‘keep that in mind when going to the dyno’ & given that i’ve never been near a dyno before, are you suggesting that i just tell the tuner “this is what i plan to be doing with the vehicle” or should i be more specific & ask for specifics e.g. Max egt @ x revs?

What are the differences in egt’s you see at say 90kph between when you are pulling your ct & when you’re not? (i realise mine will be different due to different motor & different ct, but i’m interested in what sort of variations you might see).

I was surprised that the egt’s didn’t seem especially rev related, but rather were more ‘work’ related. E.g. Went higher when pulling up hill in a high gear, reducing if i changed down.
Yet on the flat i could be cruising along at 110 with only 350deg showing. I was also surprised at how quickly the egt’s could rise & fall. Need more time to suss out the relationship between boost & egt’s.

sounds like you have it under control write down your temps what they are now put your ct on and do exactly
the same run and speeds you did with out temps will rise a tad quicker and might go 5 or 10 degrees higher
but the longer the hill temps may go higher
you,l know after awhile what your temps are running at then its time for your dyno and tell (as winnie said)tuner
what you intend on doing as in towing and econemy good luck with it mate
it can get frustrating at times sorting it out to suit your needs

growler2058
15th February 2015, 12:58 PM
Put the superior engineering sway bar disconnects I got FOR FREE!!

growler2058
15th February 2015, 12:59 PM
Passengers side stupid forumrunner won't let me post 2 pics in one post

taslucas
15th February 2015, 02:51 PM
^^^^^^ stolen ^^^^^^

TPC
15th February 2015, 02:54 PM
^^^^^^ stolen ^^^^^^

What???????

Majestic
15th February 2015, 03:08 PM
I bought some shoo roo sonic devices (from SCA for $6) and put them on the Patrol today.

They should allow me to get a bit laxed with my evasive driving now, I've lost track of the number of close calls I've had out here at 4am in the morning. Those buggers come out of nowhere in the dark.

growler2058
15th February 2015, 03:59 PM
^^^^^^ stolen ^^^^^^

I felt like I was pinching them at that price. I also got front n rear shoes and 30mm spring spacers

cnorth
15th February 2015, 11:31 PM
I got the guy who rebuilt my inj pump to put the ute on the dyno and tune it to 550, I have been told you can go to 600 but playing it safe at the moment. He got higher temps at 1500 revs then it dropped until he went over 3000rpm. I was surprised when I first got my pyro guage just how quick it goes up to 500! Im interested how much a better intercooler will drop the temp? You need a dyno to play on for a day so you can change boost and fuel and get the right combo.

Dinger
21st February 2015, 11:29 PM
Replaced the injector oil seals, o ring and copper washer hopefully stopped the leak. Rig won't start now though have bled the system. I will try and use some compressed air tomorrow. Anoying

sooty_10
22nd February 2015, 01:40 AM
I bought some shoo roo sonic devices (from SCA for $6) and put them on the Patrol today.

They should allow me to get a bit laxed with my evasive driving now, I've lost track of the number of close calls I've had out here at 4am in the morning. Those buggers come out of nowhere in the dark.

I've got a big black steel shoo roo device on the front of my patrol, clears them away nicely with no evasive driving ever needed. Those other apparent sonic ones should go with the hi-clone and other snake oils.

Dinger
22nd February 2015, 08:54 AM
Fuel system bled. Hundreds of pumps and a dead arm. But completed. No leaks. Good result in the end.

Majestic
22nd February 2015, 10:04 AM
I've got a big black steel shoo roo device on the front of my patrol, clears them away nicely with no evasive driving ever needed. Those other apparent sonic ones should go with the hi-clone and other snake oils.

lol.

It doesn't help when they come out of the dark bush straight at you on the side. I had one a few months back (was doing 100km/h) almost take out my passengers rear quarter, if I hadn't swerved like I did I would have had a nice bit of damage on my cargo end. Lighting fast buggers they are.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd February 2015, 11:46 AM
Removed the rear air vent from the body so I could get the part number to reply 2 someone else's post. Might even put it back on one day :)

Rocket55
22nd February 2015, 06:45 PM
Removed the rear air vent from the body so I could get the part number to reply 2 someone else's post. Might even put it back on one day :)

That's detication :thumbup:

NissanGQ4.2
22nd February 2015, 07:02 PM
That's detication :thumbup:

Made it easier when looking up the Nissan Fast software and was only a 2 screws 2 remove, If it helps someone out and helps other people out in the future, why not :)

lucus30
22nd February 2015, 09:02 PM
Christmas tree mod. Now the stupid dummmy lights work

jay see
22nd February 2015, 09:23 PM

Did you put in the series 3 ones.

lucus30
22nd February 2015, 09:29 PM
Yeah mate I did looks heaps better

I'll take some pics and do a writeup in a few days about it. Piece of cake only one trap is the drivers side earth make sure you make your own

TPC
22nd February 2015, 09:32 PM

Did you have a wiring harness with the plugs or just hard wire it?

lucus30
22nd February 2015, 09:34 PM
Did you have a wiring harness with the plugs or just hard wire it?

Just soldered it in. Left myself about 300mm extra wire if I ever need to change globes

TPC
22nd February 2015, 09:48 PM
Just soldered it in. Left myself about 300mm extra wire if I ever need to change globes

Would be nice to be able to unplug them but I can't find harnesses so will probably do the same, have had the lights waiting to go in since before Christmas.

lucus30
22nd February 2015, 10:17 PM
Would be nice to be able to unplug them but I can't find harnesses so will probably do the same, have had the lights waiting to go in since before Christmas.

If you want just use after market plugs. Though honestly I couldn't see why I'd need to unplug them so didn't bother. If the need arises I'll put a plug in when I chop the wires

mjr350
22nd February 2015, 10:20 PM
I did the same to mine. No plugs but enough wire to pull out and unscrew globes.

lhurley
22nd February 2015, 10:23 PM
I put a plug in mine. Easy to swap if you every break one or to just change a globe. Figured while I was at it I may as well over do it then i don't need to do it again

lucus30
22nd February 2015, 10:25 PM
I honestly thought about it but was too tight to buy a plug. What plugs did you end up using ?

mjr350
22nd February 2015, 10:25 PM
Today I modified my new steel bar to accept the park/blinker lights from my original stock aluminium bar and mounted the hawse fairlead. Dramatically changed the look.
Turned it from a cow cockies bar to something worth owning.

lhurley
22nd February 2015, 11:30 PM
I honestly thought about it but was too tight to buy a plug. What plugs did you end up using ?

It was just one from my local boating store. Nothing special.
But this it is either way

lucus30
23rd February 2015, 06:04 AM
Oh yeah that's similar to what I was thinking

Stropp
23rd February 2015, 11:23 AM
It was just one from my local boating store. Nothing special.
But this it is either way

my ex wife and her now husband own bias boating :) dont mention my name there lol

lhurley
23rd February 2015, 06:16 PM
my ex wife and her now husband own bias boating :) dont mention my name there lol

Unless they own all of them and or one on the other side of the country i dont think youll have any issues. Ill keep it in mind though, thanks mate :P

Majestic
23rd February 2015, 06:38 PM
Took off the roof racks that were on the truck when I bought her. Previous owner or possibly the original owner had used standard steel bolts used for fastening sleepers together (the domed head ones) and so that along with them being so rusted I had to cut off (with a grinder) 3 bolts. Got them off and thankfully no rust were being hidden by the racks. I might put the racks back on at a later date, they do need a good clean up, new bolts and nuts and better rubber. If I get my roof cage before that I'll probably just throw them up on ebay.

I also got new side mirrors for the truck, much better than the stockies. Put them on today, loving them and can't wait to test them on the trip to Newcastle on Friday. :D

lucus30
23rd February 2015, 09:02 PM
Wired in my reverse camera today and while I was at it wired in a mates one on his pajero. Should be good just need to find a spot for the screen tomorrow

Stropp
23rd February 2015, 11:28 PM
Unless they own all of them and or one on the other side of the country i dont think youll have any issues. Ill keep it in mind though, thanks mate :P

They own ALL of them ;)

gaddy
24th February 2015, 07:52 AM
They own ALL of them ;)

They were crap to shop in , they are pretty much gone in brisbane ,

dave97
24th February 2015, 11:57 AM
This weekend i flushed the radiator installed new high flow thermostat and a new water temp sender which has fixed my factory temp. Guage

Heavyweight
24th February 2015, 06:32 PM
Had a 2" EFS lift fitted.....then I stood back and smiled for a minute, then started planning the next mod (exhaust)

Agronaught
25th February 2015, 06:01 PM
The 200 Watt solar panel arrived. I clearly didn't appreciate the size of the thing when I ordered it, I'm glad I didn't order the roof tray I was thinking of putting up there with it ;)

The panel fits nicely on the roof bars and leaves room for my double swag, other than a high lift jack and shovel I've never actually carried anything up there so its not really an issue. I may swap out to a smaller panel sometime and put this one in the camper, but for now it will go nicely with the Ctek charger I put in a couple of weeks ago.

The 200 Watts is on the high side, but I want to be able to camp for a week+ with the fridge, lighting, and amateur radio going without worrying about power... I think it will do that providing I don't get carried away on the radio.

Now to mount it. I need to find some channel nuts to suite the Rhino Pro Bar's, those and some angle iron should do nicely.

Of course my plan to carry a jerry can or two on the roof will need to be revised...

Cheers
J.

Stropp
25th February 2015, 06:44 PM
The 200 Watt solar panel arrived. I clearly didn't appreciate the size of the thing when I ordered it, I'm glad I didn't order the roof tray I was thinking of putting up there with it ;)

The panel fits nicely on the roof bars and leaves room for my double swag, other than a high lift jack and shovel I've never actually carried anything up there so its not really an issue. I may swap out to a smaller panel sometime and put this one in the camper, but for now it will go nicely with the Ctek charger I put in a couple of weeks ago.

The 200 Watts is on the high side, but I want to be able to camp for a week+ with the fridge, lighting, and amateur radio going without worrying about power... I think it will do that providing I don't get carried away on the radio.

Now to mount it. I need to find some channel nuts to suite the Rhino Pro Bar's, those and some angle iron should do nicely.

Of course my plan to carry a jerry can or two on the roof will need to be revised...

Cheers
J.

yeh i had to donsize as i have a tracklander rack and rooftop tent but the smaller panel runs the fridge 24/7 in the patrol so its all good and still not much room up there to spare

Bloodyaussie
25th February 2015, 07:22 PM
Gave my turbo a present today in the way of a beanie..... still waiting on the heat tape to arrive so I can wrap the dump pipe.

macca
26th February 2015, 06:08 PM
Finally got the tie rod ends, steering rod ends and panhard bushes I had bought on the car ready for a wheel alignment tomorrow morning.

One of the tie rod ends was a pain to get out, had a tool for it but resorted to a bigger hammer. Bit of bark missing too, oops.

Panhard OEM rubber needed a press to remove and replace, but it is done and ready to go.

So... the steering should be all nice and tight now. All the other bushed front and rear have been replaced in the last 6 months.

See how it drives tomorrow.

Ben-e-boy
26th February 2015, 08:59 PM
Not today but I've modified my boost compensator pin slightly

macca
27th February 2015, 06:07 AM
Not today but I've modified my boost compensator pin slightly

I don't know what that is or what it's supposed to do, but it sure looks fragile!

MEGOMONSTER
27th February 2015, 06:12 AM
I don't know what that is or what it's supposed to do, but it sure looks fragile!
Bloody oath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben-e-boy
27th February 2015, 07:18 AM

Bloody oath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its alright, It's stil pretty solid,

my third 256
27th February 2015, 07:20 AM
put new lid seal in air box yesterday (silicon one)

katwoman
27th February 2015, 09:23 AM
What started out as just straightening bent bull bar, turning into- bull bar off, tidied, straightened, painted, new winch fitted, radiator out and steam cleaned, fan thingy off , steam clean other radiator thingy, extend winch wires. Hopefully get it all back together today.

Sir Roofy
27th February 2015, 09:37 AM
What started out as just straightening bent bull bar, turning into- bull bar off, tidied, straightened, painted, new winch fitted, radiator out and steam cleaned, fan thingy off , steam clean other radiator thingy, extend winch wires. Hopefully get it all back together today.

ill have to check my thingy,s too just to be sure

Winnie
27th February 2015, 09:40 AM

Bout time he fixed what he broke!!!!

katwoman
27th February 2015, 10:00 AM
ill have to check my thingy,s too just to be sure

Turns out there was a lot of 'wombat' mud still in there. Hopefully it'll stop the overheating.

Sir Roofy
27th February 2015, 10:56 AM
Turns out there was a lot of 'wombat' mud still in there. Hopefully it'll stop the overheating.

it will help that's for sure --wombat mud heck that would be like cement bet that took some moving

Winnie
27th February 2015, 11:01 AM

Wombat mud is the worst mud!!!!

macca
27th February 2015, 11:30 AM
Finally got the tie rod ends, steering rod ends and panhard bushes I had bought on the car ready for a wheel alignment tomorrow morning.

One of the tie rod ends was a pain to get out, had a tool for it but resorted to a bigger hammer. Bit of bark missing too, oops.

Panhard OEM rubber needed a press to remove and replace, but it is done and ready to go.

So... the steering should be all nice and tight now. All the other bushed front and rear have been replaced in the last 6 months.

See how it drives tomorrow.

The alignment and all the new bushes etc. have made a whopping difference, steers better, no wandering all over the road so very happy.

macca
27th February 2015, 11:38 AM
I have a set (of 6) Cooper AT3 tyres for road sand use. They had some splitting around the bead and some flow cracks in the carcase between the tread blocks.

Last week my local tyre bloke had a look at 2 of them and felt I had a warrantee claim against Cooper even though the oldest was manufactured the 2nd week of 2012.

Took all 6 in yesterday, 4 are not real good the other two are fine. So he fitted 4 new tyres.

Asked him what I owe him for an alignment and my pro rata share of the tyres.

He said the Cooper rep has indicated a fair call on the damage and it probably wont cost me a cracker.

Could have flattened me with a feather! :jawdrop:

The rep is back in a fortnight so will see if its all real and not a dream!!! :Yahoo!:

Sir Roofy
27th February 2015, 02:00 PM
wombat mud is the worst mud!!!!

not quite love day is real sticky just ask andy growler and our favorite son nisshead

TPC
27th February 2015, 03:05 PM
not quite love day is real sticky just ask andy growler and our favorite son nisshead

Would agree with you there Roofy, nothing is worse than Loveday mud.

jack
27th February 2015, 03:19 PM
Could have flattened me with a feather! :jawdrop:

The rep is back in a fortnight so will see if its all real and not a dream!!! :Yahoo!:

Geez hope it's not a dream, winner

katwoman
27th February 2015, 03:20 PM
I like shiny

threedogs
27th February 2015, 04:16 PM
I like shiny

Shiny is good did you use POR15 or black enamel??
Looks awesome BTW

katwoman
27th February 2015, 04:22 PM
Shiny is good did you use POR15 or black enamel?? Looks awesome BTW
Quick dry enamel and hardener.

macca
28th February 2015, 06:18 AM
Geez hope it's not a dream, winner

I was going to get new tyres for winter 2016, so I'm in front no matter what the outcome is.

Saved me quite a few $. Also gives me a chance to make sure the fault has been rectified by Cooper.

mudnut
28th February 2015, 04:30 PM
Rust treated and then fish oiled the battery tray. I also glued about twenty odd strips of inner tube in parallel lines under the plastic tray, in the hope it will let any moisture escape from between the two surfaces.

BigRAWesty
28th February 2015, 09:17 PM
Just re ran the main power wire from secondary battery to rear.
Replaced the 6mm twin core with a single 10mm cable.
Moving the fuse bank to the rear so all the bits will have fuses closer.
Placing a 50A breaker up front.
Anderson plug on the fridge.
And placing an Anderson up front for solar panels. A better connection than alligator clips.

lucus30
28th February 2015, 09:59 PM
Just re ran the main power wire from secondary battery to rear.
Replaced the 6mm twin core with a single 10mm cable.
Moving the fuse bank to the rear so all the bits will have fuses closer.
Placing a 50A breaker up front.
Anderson plug on the fridge.
And placing an Anderson up front for solar panels. A better connection than alligator clips.

Sounds like what I need to do

Chubba
1st March 2015, 10:14 AM
new wiper blades

BigRAWesty
1st March 2015, 10:12 PM
So today I've repaired my fuel pickup after the float parted ways.
Re moulded the mount and soldered the wires. Will buy a new one, and then then place the repaired one into the sub tank.

Fixed my gauges. Due to the values being all different one could only assume fingers stated playing when dash was apart for cleaning.

So I've re set the needles. And now all good.

While pickup was out I adjusted the float to suit my breather mod. So now it reads the whole tank, not when its 1/4 empty.

Installed my winch isolator rocker switch.

Started mods on the draw system to tidy up the electrical.

Still need to run the dual battery over ride wire and switch.

Getting there

mudski
1st March 2015, 10:21 PM
Stripped down the rest of the TD today. Next is too take the block in for its x-rays...

DX grunt
1st March 2015, 11:04 PM
Did something different today.....drove my Patrol on the road - towing a trailer. lol

Winnie
2nd March 2015, 08:47 AM
Did something different today.....drove my Patrol on the road - towing a trailer. lol

You are gonna hurt yourself one day....

Maxhead
2nd March 2015, 02:44 PM

You might even venture out on that unknown terrain, the dirt road one day Ross...LOL

Winnie
2nd March 2015, 02:52 PM
You might even venchure out on that unknown terrain, the dirt road one day Ross...LOL

WHOAH ease up, Tiger!!!

threedogs
2nd March 2015, 03:02 PM

any journey starts with a small step

the evil twin
2nd March 2015, 07:27 PM
I didn't drive mine anywhere today...

However when I was walking past I stopped, checked noone was watching and gave it a hug and thought "Dang, you are a fine example of a fourby, I think I love you long time"

macca
2nd March 2015, 07:37 PM
Replaced the UHF mic, cant get old style ones this new bugger has 4 buttons that I cant use. Don't like that.

clawrence
2nd March 2015, 10:02 PM
However when I was walking past I stopped, checked noone was watching and gave it a hug and thought "Dang, you are a fine example of a fourby, I think I love you long time"

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel. Here was I was thinking that I was the only person that did this - so I don't need therapy after all !!

Punderhead
2nd March 2015, 10:28 PM
I didn't drive mine anywhere today... However when I was walking past I stopped, checked noone was watching and gave it a hug and thought "Dang, you are a fine example of a fourby, I think I love you long time"

I spent the majority of the afternoon staring at mine with a stupid grin on my face. I only stopped looking to restock on snacks lol.

katwoman
3rd March 2015, 04:44 PM
Finally got the new winch fitted, and the bullbar back on. Now, wait for the drawers to turn up, and get yet another set of rear springs fitted.

Punderhead
3rd March 2015, 07:55 PM
Just pulled the winch, bullbar and rear bar off the shorty. The rear bar I have sold, the bullbar I will either sell, or modify to suit no body lift, as currently it suits a 2" body lift.

Almost pulled the rear diff out of the ute, everything disconnected bar the driveshaft, which is stuck on, and I have to bring a hammer and chisel from work tomorrow.

Cheers!

Dinger
3rd March 2015, 08:44 PM
Put in the new MAF And reset the ECU. Hopefully it will fix the limp mode problem.

mudski
3rd March 2015, 10:16 PM
I actually had a day off today so I went and picked up my long range aux tank from the cleaners, removed my dash cluster to fix the fuel and temp gauge needles and fitted a bent adjustable upper control arm. Now to get another day or three off to do the tank install.

Covo71
4th March 2015, 04:49 PM
This showed up today. Diesel Smart. Can't really tell much difference when driving. Pyro goes on at the end of the week.557755577655777

Majestic
4th March 2015, 06:26 PM
Well I got back last night from Newcastle where the Patrol got all new bushes (the originals were still in there and in terrible condition), 2" suspension lift, a rebuilt rear diff, new front wheel bearings and rebuilt hubs. The rear wheel bearings didn't get replaced as the ones in there were almost new, clearly the last owner replaced them not that long ago.

She drives so much better now and has a lot more grunt. The 3 and 1/2 hour trip back home only took 3 hours, quite a difference. :D

Punderhead
4th March 2015, 06:45 PM
Just finished pulling the diff out of the ute, and the diff out of the shorty.

Probably put them back in on Friday.

Cheers

katwoman
5th March 2015, 04:13 PM
Fitted the new rear drawers. By my self. :)

Sir Roofy
5th March 2015, 05:32 PM
Fitted the new rear drawers. By my self. :)

wheres the pics

katwoman
5th March 2015, 06:38 PM
wheres the pics

You will have to wait and see em in real life !! If u can see past the shine of the bullbar.

lucus30
5th March 2015, 06:39 PM
I agree, I'm as happy as Rolf Harris at a Wiggles Concert with mine

Ba ha ha ....

Sir Roofy
5th March 2015, 07:48 PM
you will have to wait and see em in real life !! If u can see past the shine of the bullbar.

so we will not see it at the next meet then you wont want to scratch the new paint ?

katwoman
5th March 2015, 08:03 PM
so we will not see it at the next meet then you wont want to scratch the new paint ?
I haven't even driven it, in case I get a dead bug.

Sir Roofy
5th March 2015, 08:39 PM
i haven't even driven it, in case i get a dead bug.

lmao put in a box and put it up with steves stuff in the shed

MEGOMONSTER
6th March 2015, 04:26 AM
I stuffed it with camping gear.

threedogs
6th March 2015, 08:39 AM
Just finished pulling the diff out of the ute, and the diff out of the shorty.

Probably put them back in on Friday.

Cheers

are you cutting in a rear window ,if so then what window are you going to use eg 80s

Punderhead
6th March 2015, 09:19 AM
are you cutting in a rear window ,if so then what window are you going to use eg 80s

Yes I will be putting a window in.

Probably either a hilux or a 75 series.

Cheers

Majestic
6th March 2015, 11:14 AM
Last night I stripped a rear barn door, scored it for free from the brother-in-law who got it for free.

It is a white one with no rust as going to sand it back and paint it to replace the door currently on the back on my truck. :D

Heavyweight
6th March 2015, 11:43 AM
Fitted my supa-fit seat covers, front, centre and rear.....nice product...now just have to wait to see if the mees from the 21 month old twins cleans off easily..

jay see
6th March 2015, 12:59 PM
I stuffed it with camping gear.

Me too.:thumbup:

mudski
7th March 2015, 01:26 PM
And removal of the aux tank begins for the long range tank to go in. NFI on what im doing but here goes. Wish me luck.

mudski
7th March 2015, 02:30 PM
Well the tank is out. Lol