Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Complete Newbie with a great first time story

Hi All,

Total newbie in the world of 4wd'ing and picked up a 1999 2.8 GU Patrol a few months ago. She's no 4.2, but she's enough for a beginner like myself (and is ready for some potential conversions down the road ).

My first time properly offroad last weekend was certainly an experience. We headed out near Jerrawangala National Park along Deans Gap Road just for a real cruisy day in the bush, hoping to try out Mint Bush (first time offroad, it was scary enough for me) and get a taste for what this beast is made for. Part way along Mint Bush we ran into a real friendly group of blokes who suggested we follow along so that if we have any issues we can yell out - I thought hell why not. We cruised for a few kms and I was loving it!

Eventually it reached about 4pm and the blokes decided to head back and camp for the night, so they suggested we keep heading along Blackwood Road as it's the quickest way out, and to avoid Monkey Gum as it's quite a bit more difficult. As we truck along, we eventually realise we missed the turn off for Blackwood Rd and went a few hundred metres up Monkey Gum, so we turned around and started heading down Blackwood Rd. By now it's about 5pm and we're exhausted after a long day, and we just wanted to get home, so foolishly as the track got harder and harder we just pressed on because the maps showed that the exit was only 2-3km away and turning around was more like 6-7km. Eventually we reached some terrain that we should never have attempted such as a serious rock garden, some serious creek crossing with large boulders, and eventually a creek crossing with an obstacle we later learned was called the "gatekeeper". In our desperation to get home at 5:30, we just said fuck it and tried to charge over it. The truck got stuck. Completely.

A complete beginner, no winch or other self recovery gear (as I wasn't expecting ANYTHING this crazy on my first day) and the truck is stuck. Let's say it was excruciatingly stressful. Eventually my better half said we needed to abandon the truck, and walk up the hill to find help at the main road. As we hiked up this steep hill, we realised that this was far from the easier way out and eventually run into the Yalwal 4WD group. To our complete surprise, we are told that we were given complete bum advice and had been directed to 6 Stages which they claimed is the hardest 4x4 trail in NSW. First day offroad, hardest track in NSW - that was shocking.

Thankfully the blokes extremely kindly offered to take us up this insane track with them, and then use their significantly more tricked out trucks to retrieve ours. About 3 hours later, and some mini heart attacks as trucks almost roll, CVs are blown etc... we make it to the top at 9pm. We then travelled 1.5 hours back into the National Park before beginning a 1 hour recovery mission to winch the Patrol out, before spending another 1.5 hours easing it out with a potentially almost blown clutch (reverse had stopped working during the recovery).

By 1am we were out, and apart from the aluminium side steps being shredded and some minor panel damage the Patrol was good to go and hungry for more.

I feel like I got a real crash course in how NOT to 4x4 (i.e. going alone, going without a radio, going solo without solo recovery gear such as a winch, having aluminium sidesteps when steel rocksliders would be far sturdier etc...) and because of that, I've got a much better appreciation for how risky and important safety is when going offroad. It's safe to say that some money will be invested on a radio, steel rock sliders and some beer to entice travelling companions when I take the beast back offroad.

Rather than be freaked out, I'm taking this as a lesson to make sure that I'm prepared for anything when going offroad, and the golden rule - when the going gets too tough, turn around and go back the way you came.

Look forward to learning from the forum and getting involved!! Here's a picture of the car shortly before it's ordeal:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blakedut2 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (1st August 2017), GQtdauto (1st August 2017), growler2058 (4th August 2017), gubigfish (1st August 2017), jack (1st August 2017), MB (1st August 2017), Touses (1st August 2017), TPC (1st August 2017), VK2FMIA (2nd August 2017), Woof (1st August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant introduction, well done and glad it turned out OK. We all live and learn.
    Cheers
    Jack

2024 Isuzu MUX
    Formerly 2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard mate and what a fantastic story for a change , brilliant intro .
    You were very lucky that you only got minor damage , patrols are pretty tough underneath but yeah good rocksliders are a must so you can get the best out of your 4by .
    You will always find an idiot to give you a bum steer thinking it's funny but it could have been more serious, better try and go with someone you know or a club or just work your way up to the big stuff , most if not all of us have been stuck at some stage .
    Suggest add a winch to your list of must haves as recovery is critical .
    Great read and hope you enjoy the forum .

Thanks
    Thanked 11,758 Times in 5,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard mate, great intro and some great advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 21,183 Times in 8,687 Posts
    Mentioned
    587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,065 Times in 2,834 Posts
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your photo looks pretty scary as at first glance the shadow across the rut looks like a huge trail of dirty engine oil!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your hooked now, welcome to the forum
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Thanked 8,112 Times in 3,219 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story mate, sounds like a baptism of fire. Welcome to the Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast