Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thy removal of LPG from tb42 carby dual fuel

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not close minded to speak of your own experiences.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true and im sorry if that offended any people. was not my intention. its just i hear this all the time that gas is evil and dont use it. its silly and as stated it's usually the dodgy gas fitter and the tons of crappy systems that scares people away. i understand youv'e had a bad experience but why not try going to a good gas fitter that actually kows what hes on about and talk to him about it. my father inlaw does gas and he's tought me also, and the amount of people that come in with a dodgy conversion that you basicly need to take off and start again is rediculous. i understand gas isnt for everyone and i admit i hated it to start with too but after seeing it done propperly and learning all about the good and bad systems ive changed my tune. i only give this advice as money is tight these days so if gas can even make it slightly easier for fellow patrol owners im willing to help with that any way i can. plus not getting fuel surge going up hills is awsome ;-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warner01 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (29th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No offence taken mate :-)
    I didn't have any bad experiences personally and I definitely don't think it's evil Haha.
    Dual fuel was just not for me. A vehicle can't be optimised for both fuels. I find that when tuned for both, then it's not tuned perfectly for either.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (29th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    No offence taken mate :-)
    I didn't have any bad experiences personally and I definitely don't think it's evil Haha.
    Dual fuel was just not for me. A vehicle can't be optimised for both fuels. I find that when tuned for both, then it's not tuned perfectly for either.
    I agree this is why I am considering removing it and also the lack of range on my gas mixer system. If my car was a everyday driver things would be different

My last trip to woods point I used 30l per hundred on gas
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Range is a concern running LPG

If you are looking at how much gas you are using compared to petrol is a waste of time. Lucus30, do you normally use 30L per 100 or was this a mixture of on and off road. How much petrol would you have used?

Look at how far you go - compared against $$$$

LPG is still cheap to run in melb in a petrol (excluding range and possible damage to the head) - if the LPG price gets closer to the petrol price then I will convert to Petrol and probably go efi. ( i have have a standard main tank and a long range sub tank)
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ TANK View Post
    Range is a concern running LPG

If you are looking at how much gas you are using compared to petrol is a waste of time. Lucus30, do you normally use 30L per 100 or was this a mixture of on and off road. How much petrol would you have used?

Look at how far you go - compared against $$$$

LPG is still cheap to run in melb in a petrol (excluding range and possible damage to the head) - if the LPG price gets closer to the petrol price then I will convert to Petrol and probably go efi. ( i have have a standard main tank and a long range sub tank)
    Fair bit of offroad and hills normally highway I get 22-25 on gas. My patrol is only driven when going away 4wding or day 4wd trips hence my thoughts
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it even legal to remove gas system yourself? Also the mod plate would need to be removed?

ozz
    TB42E manual 1996 GQ 30 year anniversary
    33" maxxi bighorns, 3" EFS & Accessories

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, heaps of Info about it. Ill tell you guys whats going on. So, I used to love riding bikes in melbourne, then moved to perth with a positive attitude then BAM! S**t loads of sand everywhere! Had a bad crash aswell and screwed my knee (ruptured acl) and have decided that ill sell the bike and get a 4x4 because I get my license in about 3 months so theres plenty of time so I was msging this bloke to do a straight swap for a 89 tb4.2 carby duel fuel with an out of date gas system :/. The photos looked good and was time to meet, we got there and he went over the car with us, had some rust and other problems, drove real well but the shoe didnt fit the foot so to speak. Plus he wanted a bike with reg and said if I sell the bike, I can buy the car for $3250? So in the mean time, im still looking around and trying to sell or swap my bike for the right patrol (anyone wonna buy an xr400). Thanks again guys!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my only advise is if your looking for a gq chances are its goona have rust especially with only a swap for a bike. but remember rust doesnt break down and leave you stranded in the middle of no where. if it drives nice and runs good then id prob be inclined to want that over a pretty body that drives horrible. Just remember the ones that are a bit rough round the edges are always better when it counts. if you know what i mean......

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took mine off my TB42e Lucas..it is easy to do.....I had an Impco system with a 90 ltr tank at the back...there was a relief valve in it to empty it but make sure that is all you are doing at the time and where you are ...definitely no smoking ( a given I suppose)..I was getting better mileage from petrol so it just balanced out with the lower cost for gas...plus for touring outback I feel an extra petrol tank in the back would be more beneficial considering the lack of available gas outback.....the car runs much better but I did put a new head on with a complete new exhaust system ..but it didn't seem to actually lose all that much power in comparison with the petrol ...just slight......

You will need to check if your car is registered with gas on it because if so then after you remove it (and make sure you also remove the filler and lines and gas cert plate on the firewall )..you will need to get it de-commissioned by a gas place and get the certificate to present for registration....cheers
    Last edited by menace 2; 21st May 2014 at 11:43 PM.
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast