Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a lemon?

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to Patrols and even newer to the forum. I have a 2003 series 3 Patrol wagon and have had it only 5 months. It has a 3.0 ltr engine and has started having problems of recent. In talking to a few different people, some of them have admitted they don't know much about diesel engines and others know a small amount about them, but others have said to get rid of it because its a lemon and things will only get worse. I like to think that that is only their opinion but I myself have extremely limited knowledge of diesels and am honestly not sure. Is it worth me taking the time and spending some money to fix it up or would it be better to trade it in and go for another vehicle?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I would call lemon or not without any information......

There have been quite a few with engine problems, a few that have had problems and been diagnosed as blown pistons without actually confirming anything properly and probably weren't, and lots that are cranking out the high kilometres.....

My old 2003 model has been good as gold, and must be over 280,000 klms by now ( was 270,000 a while back ).

There was a known issue with the early ones 2000-2002, but I know one which never got warmed up every day - morning and night, just jumped in - turn the key, and off like a rocket ..... over 320,000 klms with no issues.

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 10th February 2014 at 08:48 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,757 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what exactly is wrong with it and do you know if it has NADS done to it?? if you dont know what NADS is then use the search function to get the info, that will be the first thing you need to do.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as Mic said, it's very hard to call something a lemon without first knowing what the issues are.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if it's yellow and leaves a sour taste in your mouth, it's a lemon...
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

Clunk (10th February 2014), happygu (10th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,854 Times in 8,612 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As above mate so more info is needed in what's wrong at the present.

The year of your engine did have some issues with the maf sensor causing a lot of problems but with some precautionary measures you can keep ontop of it.

There's a lot of info on here about it but let us know exactly what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your replies. It has 290k on the clock so far. No Stropp as far as I can tell I don't think it has NADS done to it. I know that the turbo was replaced in 2009 and was bought by the previous owners in 2008. They told me that it was originally an Ergon Energy car (which for those that don't know is the electricity mob up here). Currently when I drive it I sometimes have big plumes of white smoke out the exhaust on start up and until it is warm (as far as I can tell). It also has the engine light come on and there is a drop in power, usually around the 2700 to 3000 rev mark, its also around the 40kmh to 60kmh mark on the speedo. I went to a mechanic that attached a computer to it and he said it was the injector timing in the injector pump. He also recommended asking diesel mechanics and checking internet too.
    I also have a oil leak somewhere and have just today degreased it and washed it down in the hopes that I will find the leak. Whilst doing that I discovered a piece of exhaust pipe had broken off underneath the motor. Does anyone know if I can just weld it back together with a MIG cos it seems to have broken on the weld joint?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2001 gu patrol with the 3litre and I jump in it everyday and drive everywhere, I bought it off a family friend it has 325000 Kms in it I have owned it a month and it had 320000 on it so that's an idea of driving

When I got it it had egr blocked and that was it

I have fitted a Dawes and needle valve setup and now I have a boost gauge just waiting on my pyro gauge and the pillar pod and it will keep going

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a 2003 3lt GU. Mine had a small oil leak and found this to be just the rocker cover seal, no biggie so look at that first.

I would definitely get yourself an EGT & Boost gauge fitted so you can see how the turbo is running etc. Also an oil catch can for the EGR pipe and blocking the EGR would be good.

As AB noted, check the MAF and clean it if needed, you can buy some MAF cleaner from any auto shop.

I would also do a full service and run some de-carbonising fluid through the oil before you dump it (personal choice) and replace all the filters. Either do it yourself ( not difficult) or look up a good diesel mechanic where you are located (someone on here may know) Not sure about the exhaust pipe, maybe lob up a couple of pictures for better reference.

Do a search of this site for ZD30 issue and you should find a lot of reading material.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hi ya chewindust been trying to find this for ya,good read.hope it helps.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Diesels-Smoke
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast