Thread: Engine cutting out

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost sounds like limp home mode?
    SHINY AND NEW: 2015 Series 2 Y62 Ti in White. Bone stock, hate to say it but its the wifes car this time.

OLD SOLD:Silver 50th Anniversary Patrol, 2" Pro-Comp Lift, 32" MT ATZ 4 Rib, 9000lb Warn Winch, UH7700NB + BT UHF Brilliant. Ultra Gauge and some GO FAST bits........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine cutting out

Quote Originally Posted by WogsRus View Post
    Almost sounds like limp home mode?
    Hi WogsRus

Thank you for your e-mail, we sold our house and have moved so I have been out of action for a while, I am not that computer savy, so I hope I am replying to you in the right place on this forum.

Yes my 2008 Patrol is a 3 litre turbo model with auto transmision.

I have a list of 21 A4 pages of dates, times, speedo readings and what I was doing when it cut out on me, unfortunately it never plays up when Nissan try to locate the problem, I can go weeks sometimes without it cutting out, then it will cut out 2, 3 & sometimes 4 times in the one day, or it may cut out several days in a row, then nothing for a few weeks again.

It can be hundreds of kilometres between cut outs, or it can be within a couple of kilometres of each cut out. I once did around 900 kilometres going to Cape York before it cut out, then as I left the Jardine River ferry it cut out on me.

It mainly cuts out when I leave a carpark for instance in first gear, but it has cut out in reverse and sometimes changing from 1st to 2nd, but it mainly cuts out in 1st gear as I am starting off, or if I am pulling out of a servo for instance, stop at the kerb, then go to accelerate into the traffic, it cuts out, but I cannot make it do it. Nissan have basically washed their hands of it because they cannot get it to do it when they test it.

It is driving me nuts and at times it has given me a scare when I have been towing my caravan.

I am at a loose end as to what the problem is, when I first bought the vehicle Nissan changed several things including the limp home node you talk about, but the problem is still there.

The warranty runs out in December 2013, so I am hoping it will just stop altogether before then so that it can be fixed. I am headding off to Gladstone in a couple of hours for about 10 days, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Matho

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar problem with a 2010 3.0 litre CRD auto, it was a faulty stop light switch, it turns the engine to idle when it thinks the brake pedal has been depressed, it's a normal feature that no one knew about until it was diagnosed by a sharp operator, then nissan admitted to it. F&^* scary when it does it in the middle of a busy intersection!!!!!.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem with a new 2010 3 litre CRD, it was a faulty stop light switch which shuts the engine to idle, a design feature which Nissan found out about 2 years after I complained bitterly. Scary when you cross an intersection

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine Cutting Out

Unfortunately the problem was not a faulty relay supplying the ECU, Nissan replaced it but it is still cutting out. Very intermittent unfortunately, it will cut out three or four times in a wekk, then go for three or four weeks before cutting out again. Nissan Australia have basically said until the engine stops completely, they cannot do anything about it.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Greynomad, unfortunately mine cuts out (Most times) when I leave a car park in i1st ger for 2 to 3 seconds. Howevr it has happened a couple of times in reverse and in the early days it used to be when changing from 1st to second on the auto. I have 19 A4 pages of when it has cut out on me that I have sent to the dealer in Ipswich. But because it is so intermittent they cannot find the fault, Nissan Australia said they cannot do anything until it stops on me. Cheers Matho

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123