Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grinding noise from front left

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often cruise into the Zambezi Valley & I don't want to go careening over the edge with brake failure!

Thanks Patroljock52, have a great day

Quote Originally Posted by patroljock52 View Post
    had the same problem on my LWB and yes it was the caliper front left - in the end I replaced both calipers and procured high performance race rated pads from the USA because I tow a heavy trailer in the Highlands of Scotland and the last thing I want is a brake failure on a downhill section - expensive but at least The nightmares have stopped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    does it ever sound like a coathanger being dragged along the side of the car on the road? if so it is your hub, are they auto or manual hubs?
    I reckon I might have that... Is it something that only happens when in 4WD and/or with the hubs locked, or will it make the same sound in 2WD and hubs dis-engaged?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cowley View Post
    Hi there Mic,

Thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance - What is a Brake Kit to put through the caliper?

Bruce...
    a brake kit involes the new seals for around the brake piston i would probably suggest if your not mechanically mind go to a mechanic that way you will have warrenty and some sort of cover if your brakes fail.

if your are keen to do it yourself let me know and i can walk you through it if you want but it can be a bit of a bastard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bruce Cowley;313825]Hi there Mic,

Thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance - What is a Brake Kit to put through the caliper?

As indicated above, I was indicating a complete caliper overhaul, by removing it from the vehicle, pulling out and cleaning up the piston, and putting a new seal kit through it.

The piston should not bind, it should be able to move freely in and out of the caliper housing, and may be all gummed up, which is not letting it slide away from the disc after the brake pedal has been applied.

If your brakes are binding up to the point where it doesn't want to go forwards, and you have to reverse a little, and the piston is sliding in and out freely enough, it may indicate that the master cylinder needs to be overhauled.....

I hope that you are getting closer to the source of your grinding noise
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234