PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Patrol today!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43

Avo
24th May 2020, 01:27 PM
Ordered these rims and getting fitted tuesday

18x9 pos 18 rims American outlaw legacy
295/70x18 dick fun countrieshttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/132.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/133.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Woof
24th May 2020, 07:25 PM
Avo Jess is so lucky for you to buy those for HER Patrol mate

Avo
24th May 2020, 07:48 PM
Avo Jess is so lucky for you to buy those for HER Patrol mate1000 comedians out of work and you still.rrying to be one....

Avo
26th May 2020, 07:05 PM
To say I am happy is an understatement...bloody stoked.....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/157.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/158.jpg

PeeBee
27th May 2020, 05:44 PM
Tracked down a water leak on the new W2A circuit, slightly loose hose clamp but at 20psi the water was leaking out. Started into the second row seat platforms using old seat frames - will weld them up tomorrow and post the results. Fixed up the passenger front wheel-well guarding that was hanging down from my coolant tank activities - lost all the damn screws so had to wait for a pile from PAP to arrive. Re-tapped the front seat mount holes - started to cross thread after all the times the seats have been removed, and bought new bolts to suit. Going to have a go at the cruise control tomorrow - last thing on the list and have been avoiding it to be honest!

PeeBee
28th May 2020, 04:41 PM
Second row seat platform. I have two to make, had a brain fade this morning and com0leted the wrong/preferred side - so maybe tomorrow the other side will get done!81155

10G
28th May 2020, 04:53 PM
Where does that go Phil? Trying to picture it in the truck. Solid looking snatch points.

PeeBee
28th May 2020, 05:07 PM
I stripped down two second row seat frames, discarded the back of the seat, removed the padding and added the 3mm flat sheet and a piece of 40 x 40 angle iron to level it up. The mounts are 'little ear rings ' I found on site in a scrap bin, simply too small for anything we do up there, so will use them as the anchor points for the 29L Engel I will use as a dedicated freezer. The frame tilts out of the way like the second row seat. If I had made the right one it would have been obvious- sorry about that! The orange strap is the standard seat release strap on the GQ

10G
28th May 2020, 05:20 PM
Ah yep, makes sense. I thought that was why you used those hooks, saves having to make something.

10G
28th May 2020, 05:22 PM
To say I am happy is an understatement...bloody stoked.....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/157.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/158.jpg

Avo Noice. Hey have you thought about protection for the sides? Like clear wrap or some of that stuff I think it's called Rhino Hide or something??? Looks so bloody nice, just too hard to go and scratch it up

MB TD42
28th May 2020, 09:56 PM
Avo Noice. Hey have you thought about protection for the sides? Like clear wrap or some of that stuff I think it's called Rhino Hide or something??? Looks so bloody nice, just too hard to go and scratch it upNo need...Only drives it to the beach to fish or to me mum's house to fix my rig...lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Avo
28th May 2020, 10:22 PM
Avo Noice. Hey have you thought about protection for the sides? Like clear wrap or some of that stuff I think it's called Rhino Hide or something??? Looks so bloody nice, just too hard to go and scratch it upI have looked at bush barriers....they do look good
To be honest where we live after this photo I drove home 40 km and it was filthy...just off the road not even on gravel..somethinv you get use to...when we go to the city we wash it n make it look nice,otherwise,it's a car

PeeBee
29th May 2020, 09:19 PM
Completed the second rear seat frame, all painted, just stuck a layer of softish poly foam to add some cushioning, should do the trick.

10G
1st June 2020, 09:49 AM
I actually did something other than move it out of the garage for a change.

Replaced, oil, air & fuel filters & engine oil.

Cleaned out catch can and cleaned MAF.

Lubed up shock adjusters & cut my thumb.

Cuppa
11th June 2020, 05:22 PM
Having fitted both a new headlight wiring harness & a LED lightbar I waited for a nice dark night, before the moon came up over the nearby hill to see what they were like. In short 'Incredible'. I suppose everyone here who has fitted a light bar or has a mate with one already knows how bright they are, but I had only seen videos of them in action. Last night was the night - very impressive. I did note too that my headlights are whiter & brighter, & whilst effective my old IPF driving lights are very yellow in comparison. The headlight aim was way off in both planes though, & the IPF's needed adjustment as I had previously had them pointing outward to illuminate the sides of the dirt road I used to live on, in order to be able to see the wombats , roos & deer. I am confident that the lightbar will take care of that function now, more importantly if/when we find ourselves driving rough & washed out outback tracks at night again, that I will now be able to see just what I'm driving on! Has to be a good thing! :)

The lightbar came with it's own wiring harness intended to connect in to a standard set up. Likewise the Pirahana Superloom was designed for much the same, & of course the Ex Telstra had already had work, adding Nissan branded relays for the IPF's. In the end it was fairly simple to work out what wires to use & not use. I have chosen to leave the switch for the lightbar under the bonnet for the time being. I used the existing IPF wiring, post Telstra relay, to trigger the lightbar's relay, & so I am using a single switch on the dash to turn both lightbar & IPF's on together when on high beam. This will be my 'Offroad' set up. For on road I just switch the lightbar off under the bonnet

Will go out for a drive tonight to check my aiming adjustments done undercover today using the huge sliding doors to aim at, surprisingly it was dark enough to see what I was doing.

There are a pair of H3 Philips 'White Vision Ultra' 55w globes in the post to fit in the IPF's when they arrive. They are advertised as the whitest halogens which are road legal, & +60% distance. I'm hoping they will be better than the very yellow Repco 100w +30 globes currently in them & give the alternator an easier time too.

Whilst the lightbar is super bright (Stedi 27.5" single row 3301) I was pleased that when switching to dip beam - just the headlights, that I could still see reasonably well & it isn't like momentary blindness.

MB
14th June 2020, 07:57 PM
We had to replace the power steering pump on the old 1995 GQ work ute :-(
I always assumed they were good for 30 years, not a measly 25 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC
14th June 2020, 11:32 PM
Having fitted both a new headlight wiring harness & a LED lightbar I waited for a nice dark night, before the moon came up over the nearby hill to see what they were like. In short 'Incredible'. I suppose everyone here who has fitted a light bar or has a mate with one already knows how bright they are, but I had only seen videos of them in action. Last night was the night - very impressive. I did note too that my headlights are whiter & brighter, & whilst effective my old IPF driving lights are very yellow in comparison. The headlight aim was way off in both planes though, & the IPF's needed adjustment as I had previously had them pointing outward to illuminate the sides of the dirt road I used to live on, in order to be able to see the wombats , roos & deer. I am confident that the lightbar will take care of that function now, more importantly if/when we find ourselves driving rough & washed out outback tracks at night again, that I will now be able to see just what I'm driving on! Has to be a good thing! :)

The lightbar came with it's own wiring harness intended to connect in to a standard set up. Likewise the Pirahana Superloom was designed for much the same, & of course the Ex Telstra had already had work, adding Nissan branded relays for the IPF's. In the end it was fairly simple to work out what wires to use & not use. I have chosen to leave the switch for the lightbar under the bonnet for the time being. I used the existing IPF wiring, post Telstra relay, to trigger the lightbar's relay, & so I am using a single switch on the dash to turn both lightbar & IPF's on together when on high beam. This will be my 'Offroad' set up. For on road I just switch the lightbar off under the bonnet

Will go out for a drive tonight to check my aiming adjustments done undercover today using the huge sliding doors to aim at, surprisingly it was dark enough to see what I was doing.

There are a pair of H3 Philips 'White Vision Ultra' 55w globes in the post to fit in the IPF's when they arrive. They are advertised as the whitest halogens which are road legal, & +60% distance. I'm hoping they will be better than the very yellow Repco 100w +30 globes currently in them & give the alternator an easier time too.

Whilst the lightbar is super bright (Stedi 27.5" single row 3301) I was pleased that when switching to dip beam - just the headlights, that I could still see reasonably well & it isn't like momentary blindness.

I have highlighted something in your write up that just doesn't fit.

Cuppa
15th June 2020, 07:56 AM
I have highlighted something in your write up that just doesn't fit.

Not sure I understand Tony - try substituting 'In short incredible' with 'Briefly, they were incredible" or perhaps 'In short, they were incredible' ?? :D:D:D

mudski
17th June 2020, 09:51 PM
Bitta wiring the new light switches in and the new winch switches in where I had the light switches.81251

10G
18th June 2020, 11:09 AM
Very slick mate ^^^^

threedogs
18th June 2020, 02:17 PM
Hi all hope this is the right section, would anyone know where they put an autron cruise control??
After they did my motor my CC doesnt work and I have no idea where to look, any help would be great
TIA TD

tryan277
19th June 2020, 07:53 PM
Replaced the failed clutch slave cylinder with a shiny new genuine one and a new braided hydraulic hose to replace the old rubber hose and also eliminates the "Steel damper line" (have no idea why this is there as it does not appear in any of the service manuals).
Took it for a run and works just like it used to.
Yeh

Cheers Trevor

pollenface
20th June 2020, 08:34 AM
Hi all hope this is the right section, would anyone know where they put an autron cruise control??
After they did my motor my CC doesnt work and I have no idea where to look, any help would be great
TIA TD

I used to alternate feet on the accelerator, sometimes use a little pillow on the floor to rest my heal on ...

AB
20th June 2020, 02:36 PM
I cleaned it lol

It’s been a while!

Getting it all ready for a local trip in a couple of weeks woohoo!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/68.jpg

Mickhead
20th June 2020, 04:12 PM
Checked the oil. What moron at nissan put the dipstick that close to the positive terminal ? Always wakes me up when they meet :) :)
But on the up side the oil is still very clean at 9500 k since the egr block!

mudski
20th June 2020, 07:17 PM
I cleaned it lol

It’s been a while!

Getting it all ready for a local trip in a couple of weeks woohoo!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/68.jpg

You made me panick! It’s still seven weeks away!

BrentnBecc
20th June 2020, 07:19 PM
Pulled the transfer case out and dropped the gearbox, just have to 5/8 the imploded zd30, get some money for the ls2, 6l80e, reduction gears, and front locker, and back on the road. Should take around a lifetime but I'm not in a hurry, [emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

AB
20th June 2020, 08:10 PM
You made me panick! It’s still seven weeks away!

Isolation has killed us to be honest lol

Having Lachy trapped at home with his autism along with Mia and my other enjoyable legal court fun journey battle has really taken a toll on us mate.

Trapped rats, sounds stupid and this not me as you know I don’t do caravan parks normally but just heading up to Marysville caravan park and we’ll explore the area for a few days doing basic 4wding and kiddie stuff just to get away and do something lol

rusty_nail
20th June 2020, 09:20 PM

Having Lachy trapped at home with his autism along with Mia and my other enjoyable legal court fun journey battle has really taken a toll on us mate.

Trapped rats, sounds stupid and this not me as you know I don’t do caravan parks normally but just heading up to Marysville caravan park and we’ll explore the area for a few days doing basic 4wding and kiddie stuff just to get away and do something lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOf anyone deserves it you do mate, your one of the most selfless people I know... Honestly. I hope you have a great time and relax

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jay see
20th June 2020, 10:55 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEnjoy the secretary mate.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

First Pooy
21st June 2020, 10:06 AM
I spent the last 2 enjoyable days trying to make my new carter pump fit my Gq Patrol where it needed to go, with all the negotiation cursing and swaring going along with it, I haven't finished the wiring properly yet but at least it is together enough to finally get it tuned and to top it of most of it was done in miserable wet days of course it is predicted to be fine days when I am back at work grrr.

Avo
21st June 2020, 09:17 PM
Put a light bar in,no biggy...not game enough to wire it up so going to auto electrician for that shithttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/79.jpg

Avo
21st June 2020, 09:18 PM
There's no point washing it down here during winter,

Maxhead
22nd June 2020, 08:05 AM
Put a light bar in,no biggy...not game enough to wire it up so going to auto electrician for that shithttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/79.jpg

Mate, just buy a light bar harness. Comes prewired with switch, plug, relay, light globe adaptor, etc.
All you need to do is put pos+ and neg- to your battery, pull out your globe and plug into adaptor, then plug your light bar in and your done.
I’ve done a few and it’s about 10minutes work....
Around 20-30 bucks on eBay

Avo
22nd June 2020, 08:19 PM
Mate, just buy a light bar harness. Comes prewired with switch, plug, relay, light globe adaptor, etc.
All you need to do is put pos+ and neg- to your battery, pull out your globe and plug into adaptor, then plug your light bar in and your done.
I’ve done a few and it’s about 10minutes work....
Around 20-30 bucks on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThere's no way I am going anywhere near this car trying to play electrician,I've ear on blown every fuse in cars just trying to fit the old tape players mate,me n electrikkidy don't get along,play it safe,

Maxhead
22nd June 2020, 08:26 PM
There's no way I am going anywhere near this car trying to play electrician,I've ear on blown every fuse in cars just trying to fit the old tape players mate,me n electrikkidy don't get along,play it safe,

Few Jacks and you’ll be an expert in no time mate[emoji12]

Just kidding mate, get it over to auto sparky if not confident

0-TJ-0
9th July 2020, 01:41 PM
Front RDA slotted and dimpled rotors and yellowstuff pads, thanks Cuppa (I think it was you) for your recommendation. Also put a new extended main braided brake line on there too.

They say no emergency braking for first 200 miles, so haven't been able to stomp them. They do definitely feel like I'm driving a different car already though!

jay see
9th July 2020, 03:38 PM
Walked out earlier today and noticed a bit of green coolant on the ground. Quick look around and the top radiator hose is slightly leaking from the thermostat housing. After having the heater hose let go a few weeks back while on the freeway. I called the local three. Autobarn no stock, Supercheap, no stock, Repco yes 2 on hand. Picked up a pair of clamps too. A little job for tomorrow.

Sprock
9th July 2020, 04:36 PM
Pardon my ignorance but why the extended brake line ? Surely the factory 1 isn’t to short to allow wheel travel ? Unless you’ve got a big lift & no sway bars I guess

Cuppa
9th July 2020, 05:54 PM
Front RDA slotted and dimpled rotors and yellowstuff pads, thanks Cuppa (I think it was you) for your recommendation. Also put a new extended main braided brake line on there too.

They say no emergency braking for first 200 miles, so haven't been able to stomp them. They do definitely feel like I'm driving a different car already though!

Good stuff, braided line too!
Have you got the bedding on instructions - easy to do, but important I think. I did the x3 for Yellowstuff. Performance noticeably improved whilst out doing it.

When a vehicle has had both new rotors and/or just new pads fitted, there are two processes or objectives, to getting the brake system to operate at optimal performance.
The first step is to make sure the disc face is clean of all oils/anti rust or any foreign matter like previous brake pad material. If the rotors are not being replaced, then it is imperative that the disc is machined, prior to the fitment of new pads- without exception.
The second step is heating (not cooking) the brake rotor and pads, to transfer the pad material evenly, onto the rotor face.
This step involves performing a series of stops, so that the brake rotor and pad are heated steadily, to allow the transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface. The friction surface should be clear of all oils, which are used to stop the rotor from rusting, before being fitted to the motor vehicle. Whilst these will be burnt off, they risk transferring and possibly polluting the brake pad material and will definitely lead to a longer bedding-in process. Whilst performing a series of brake applications to transfer the pad material, care should be taken to not come to a complete stop, as this can lead to the transfer of pad material unevenly on the disc at the point where the pad comes to rest on the friction surface.
• A typical program of 8-9 brake applications, from 60km down to 10km p/hour, without any cool down in between would be sufficient.
For performance pad materials, a further two sequences of ten stops will be required after a cooling down period between each cycle, to ensure that the pads have reached the required higher operating temperature to allow for the pad material to transfer effectively.*
At all times during the bedding in process, care should be taken to not apply the brakes in a harsh manner or decelerate from high speeds, as this will corrupt the transfer of materials and lead to uneven material build up on the rotor surface, which in most instances will require machining to regain a flat rotor surface for optimal operation (Disc thickness vibration-DTV-which leads to brake judder or vibration-see RDA/EBC Bulletin #1

Cuppa
9th July 2020, 05:57 PM

Have you got the bedding in instructions - easy to do, but important I think. I did the x3 for Yellowstuff. Performance noticeably improved whilst out doing it.

When a vehicle has had both new rotors and/or just new pads fitted, there are two processes or objectives, to getting the brake system to operate at optimal performance.
The first step is to make sure the disc face is clean of all oils/anti rust or any foreign matter like previous brake pad material. If the rotors are not being replaced, then it is imperative that the disc is machined, prior to the fitment of new pads- without exception.
The second step is heating (not cooking) the brake rotor and pads, to transfer the pad material evenly, onto the rotor face.
This step involves performing a series of stops, so that the brake rotor and pad are heated steadily, to allow the transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface. The friction surface should be clear of all oils, which are used to stop the rotor from rusting, before being fitted to the motor vehicle. Whilst these will be burnt off, they risk transferring and possibly polluting the brake pad material and will definitely lead to a longer bedding-in process. Whilst performing a series of brake applications to transfer the pad material, care should be taken to not come to a complete stop, as this can lead to the transfer of pad material unevenly on the disc at the point where the pad comes to rest on the friction surface.
• A typical program of 8-9 brake applications, from 60km down to 10km p/hour, without any cool down in between would be sufficient.
For performance pad materials, a further two sequences of ten stops will be required after a cooling down period between each cycle, to ensure that the pads have reached the required higher operating temperature to allow for the pad material to transfer effectively.*
At all times during the bedding in process, care should be taken to not apply the brakes in a harsh manner or decelerate from high speeds, as this will corrupt the transfer of materials and lead to uneven material build up on the rotor surface, which in most instances will require machining to regain a flat rotor surface for optimal operation (Disc thickness vibration-DTV-which leads to brake judder or vibration-see RDA/EBC Bulletin #1

0-TJ-0
9th July 2020, 06:28 PM
Pardon my ignorance but why the extended brake line ? Surely the factory 1 isn’t to short to allow wheel travel ? Unless you’ve got a big lift & no sway bars I guess

It's got a 2in lift in it and at full drop of the front axel the factory line was guitar string tight. It's not too often you get that condition driving but I probably should have changed it long ago to be honest. Not proud of that, but there ya go. Got it done now.

Have you got the bedding on instructions - easy to do, but important I think. I did the x3 for Yellowstuff. Performance noticeably improved whilst out doing it.

Well, I've done that once. I didn't realise it needs to be done 2 more times. Looks like I'll still be able to get it done as the next 2 are done after a cool down anyway. I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks mate.

jay see
10th July 2020, 04:59 PM
Swapped out that radiator hose.

tryan277
11th July 2020, 08:17 PM
Pulled the radius arms out today.
Its a covid job.........
The bushes on the left arm were a not the best.
Have a new complete set coming next week.

Cheers Trevor

Sprock
12th July 2020, 02:01 AM
Thanks mate , there ya go

0-TJ-0
14th July 2020, 02:32 PM
Took the drawers out. Served me well but time for a change and an update now I have the camper as primary means of storage(and weight). Not sure what the plan is, but probably just tubs.

Much more room!

Also, they are for sale in northern suburbs of Adelaide if anyone is interested.

gazq
3rd August 2020, 09:02 AM
Making it a bit easier to see whats going on behind the big bastard by adding a reversing camera with Bluetooth radio. Aldi special for 70 bucks. Slam her into reverse and the video feed from the reverse camera kicks in. I've got a 3 year old and I am paranoid about him following or sneaking outside without me knowing.

Dasa
4th August 2020, 06:04 PM
Flushed the rad with a alkaline rad cleaner today after checking it a few days ago to find the coolant was black and the hoses had gone hard on the inside due to corrosion buildup.
First flushed and refiled with water for a few days which came out fairly clean when draining before putting in the rad cleaner for a 20min drive which loosened up a heap more but I think there is still a lot left so I will probably be flushing it again in another 6-12 months.

I know they say better late than never but this may just have been to late.
Here is a little of what came out when draining the cleaner which is probably not as bad as the coolant that was first drained.

TD42 was replaced a few years back and the used engine must have been a bit rusty as I had it flushed by mechanics 3 times in the first six months before forgetting to look at it again for a few years.

MB
4th August 2020, 10:32 PM
Nice Work Dasa Mate!
Does make us wonder how many overheating water TD42’s need to consider a top system clean start from scratch approach too mate [emoji106][emoji106]

Plasnart
5th August 2020, 12:31 AM
Making it a bit easier to see whats going on behind the big bastard by adding a reversing camera with Bluetooth radio. Aldi special for 70 bucks. Slam her into reverse and the video feed from the reverse camera kicks in. I've got a 3 year old and I am paranoid about him following or sneaking outside without me knowing.

Nice mate. Over 40 years ago my old man came home for lunch one day, and just before he left to go back to work I had been bouncing up and down on the tow bar of his car in the driveway (I was about 4 or 5 I think). I slipped off the tow ball and got the right cuff of my pants hooked over the ball. Laying there on my back trying to unhook my pants, the old man came out to go back to work. I shut up because I thought I'd get in trouble for jumping on the tow ball. He got in but before reversing down the drive he thought he should check behind the car as I wasn't around which was unusual. He found me laying there with one foot hooked to the tow bar. I was too naive to know the danger but he turned white. Cameras are a good thing.

Dasa
6th August 2020, 09:08 AM
While the rad was drained I took it out to blow out crap from the fins and scrape off the mud wasp nests only to notice the end tanks were rating with all the metal flakes that had accumulated in them during the flush.
With a bit of flushing while shaking I think the rad is finally coming clean but there is probably more in the hoses, block and heatercore yet.

10G
6th August 2020, 10:05 AM
Whoa, chunky. It makes you feel good though when you see crap like that come out, makes you feel like the work you've done has been worthwhile. That's how I feel anyway.

Dasa
6th August 2020, 01:18 PM
Yeah if only the work was over I just pulled the thermostat to try give the block a better flush and thankfully the bolts didn't snap but the thread from the housing came with the short bolt and the long one feels like it is going to snap if I put it back in.

Might see if it can toodle 15k into town with one bolt holding and have the local engineering shop re-thread it.
Otherwise I see if the housing comes off the block any easier.

mudnut
6th August 2020, 01:23 PM
The chunkier stuff can block the water galleries, especially the small holes in the head gasket.

Mickhead
9th August 2020, 04:54 PM
Tested some stuff on the poo. Ok. The 02 zd30 is a bit hard to start first thing on a Freezing cold melbourne morning. Probably 10 revolutions maybe 3 to 4 seconds.. Fires up, runs rough for another second or two. Then runs beaut. Lets out a puff of white vapour. Starts fine all day after that. Put a DC current clamp on the fat wire going to the glow plugs. Relay clicked, but no current drawn. Tested clamp meter on another source and it works. So.. GPs are not working. Do I fix them or let sleeping dogs lie?

jay see
9th August 2020, 10:27 PM
With all the spare time with our lock down I parked the patrol on Wednesday night after work and did absolutely sweet f@#k all to it. So much so that I'm driving the Clubsport tomorrow. Give it a good 5 day break.

MB
11th August 2020, 08:47 PM
Politely pulled over up our big little hill on the way home from the supermarket in the old GQ ute with some 750kg atop to let a V8 Landcrab wagoon arrogantly blast by.
I swear they are a different breed these days, even hardwood logging trucks usually thank me :-)

Avo
11th August 2020, 09:19 PM
Yeah if only the work was over I just pulled the thermostat to try give the block a better flush and thankfully the bolts didn't snap but the thread from the housing came with the short bolt and the long one feels like it is going to snap if I put it back in.

Might see if it can toodle 15k into town with one bolt holding and have the local engineering shop re-thread it.
Otherwise I see if the housing comes off the block any easier.Did you get to the big in the block when you drained it,it is on the left hand side between cylinder 5 and 6 I think from memory,when I did ours I flushed it a few times...

Avo
11th August 2020, 09:20 PM
Politely pulled over up our big little hill on the way home from the supermarket in the old GQ ute with some 750kg atop to let a V8 Landcrab wagoon arrogantly blast by.
I swear they are a different breed these days, even hardwood logging trucks usually thank me :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI would have waved at ya mate....even in a lazycrab

MB
11th August 2020, 09:32 PM
Thanks Brother, even just a quick left/right/left...Tittie flash would suffice a betterer days end :-)

10G
12th August 2020, 10:32 AM

Lots of young blokes drive those V8 utes, they do down here anyway, they get off on the rumble just like we all used to. I don't know how they can afford them.

They're a good product, but I reckon way overpriced and too much old tech.

I don't know if it's just me, but most cars that overtake me are Toyotas, they all seem to drive 'em fast. But I do remember when I had a 2005 Camry as a work car, it's 100kmh was GPS'd as 100kmh. Most other cars I've driven are set to up to 5 kmh under 100.

mudski
12th August 2020, 01:13 PM
Lots of young blokes drive those V8 utes, they do down here anyway, they get off on the rumble just like we all used to. I don't know how they can afford them.

I don't know if it's just me, but most cars that overtake me are Toyotas, they all seem to drive 'em fast. But I do remember when I had a 2005 Camry as a work car, it's 100kmh was GPS'd as 100kmh. Most other cars I've driven are set to up to 5 kmh under 100.

I must admit, my nether regions will tingle when I hear one of those Yota V8's. Lovely sound.

jay see
12th August 2020, 01:30 PM
I know that feeling, I get it when I hear any v8, is that bad???

Plasnart
12th August 2020, 01:45 PM
I know that feeling, I get it when I hear any v8, is that bad???

It's very normal mate! Only need to seek help if you get the same feeling from an exhaust-modded 6 potter! :D

10G
12th August 2020, 02:39 PM
It's very normal mate! Only need to seek help if you get the same feeling from an exhaust-modded 6 potter! :D

Spot on, 6ers just don't do it.

Mate had a V8 petrol Cruiser, that sounded great, even the old Rover 3.5 V8s used to sound good.

mudnut
12th August 2020, 04:11 PM

So my RB30 doesn't do it for you then, Plassy. I will have to install a good sound system and play a super car CD for ya...

MB
12th August 2020, 04:22 PM
There used to be a wooden speed boat club member up on the Murray years ago called ‘MyGrain’.
A 3.8L Buick (V6 Commodore) engine with extractors only.
Was truly frightening the noise that came out of that little boat, thing literally screamed up the river, so so fast too [emoji106][emoji106]

10G
12th August 2020, 04:40 PM
So my RB30 doesn't do it for you then, Plassy. I will have to install a good sound system and play a super car CD for ya...

Needs some woosh noises Craig ;-)

Plasnart
12th August 2020, 05:40 PM

Was more thinking of the dorks in their commodores who flog around the neighbourhood sounding like a fart in a milk bucket. :D

Mickhead
12th August 2020, 06:03 PM
Was more thinking of the dorks in their commodores who flog around the neighbourhood sounding like a fart in a milk bucket. :D

Oh dear.. Im a dork. I have a commy.Sounds like a thousand farts in a milk bucket �� Dont drive it much. If I did I probably would not keep my license for long! �� :) :)

Project: Glow plug timer coming up....81686

mudski
13th August 2020, 08:25 AM
Spot on, 6ers just don't do it.

Mate had a V8 petrol Cruiser, that sounded great, even the old Rover 3.5 V8s used to sound good.

I'd actually buy one of those old Rangie's. They are a tuff looking old rig. A mate of mine had one 20 odd years ago when I had my MK shorty. He had factory electric lockers in his. Massive inside them too.

Winnie
13th August 2020, 10:50 AM

I don't know if it's just me, but most cars that overtake me are Toyotas, they all seem to drive 'em fast. But I do remember when I had a 2005 Camry as a work car, it's 100kmh was GPS'd as 100kmh. Most other cars I've driven are set to up to 5 kmh under 100.They take the car out on Toyota's 7 year finance deal and when they get to the end of that, they take out a 7 year personal loan to pay off the balloon payment at the end!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

10G
13th August 2020, 10:58 AM
They take the car out on Toyota's 7 year finance deal and when they get to the end of that, they take out a 7 year personal loan to pay off the balloon payment at the end!

wow, after paying a vehicle off for 14 years, you'd need that reputed Toyota reliability.

stevemc181
15th August 2020, 09:02 PM
Had some Outback accessories long range fuel tanks fitted. 80 litre sub and a 145 Litre main tank. 225 litres in total, should cover my fuel use for most trips. Heading off to Dirk Hartog Island next weekend, so they will come in handy for sure!

Plasnart
15th August 2020, 09:27 PM
Had some Outback accessories long range fuel tanks fitted. 80 litre sub and a 145 Litre main tank. 225 litres in total, should cover my fuel use for most trips. Heading off to Dirk Hartog Island next weekend, so they will come in handy for sure!

Trip report please mate!

Can only dream of places like that at the moment here in CoVic.

stevemc181
15th August 2020, 09:54 PM
Trip report please mate!

Can only dream of places like that at the moment here in CoVic.

She’ll be a fairly quick trip, a couple of nights at Murchison house station on the way up, then a night at Steep point Barge landing site, 4 nights on the island and a leisurely drive home! The wild flowers should be out, so hoping for some great views. Yep, feel sorry for you guys over East, hope you’re out and about sooner rather than later! Will throw up a trip report for sure.

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2020, 10:54 PM
Stripped down an Amada Extreme shock off the front of the GQ. Did my head in but it is in pieces ready for a rebuild.

10G
16th August 2020, 12:28 PM

Very nice. Any chance of some pics? I've got a 145 litre ARB tank, one of the plastic ones, it's been pretty good. Been wondering about replacing the sub tank for a long time.

Trip sounds great, hope you have a great time.

stevemc181
16th August 2020, 04:21 PM
Very nice. Any chance of some pics? I've got a 145 litre ARB tank, one of the plastic ones, it's been pretty good. Been wondering about replacing the sub tank for a long time.

Trip sounds great, hope you have a great time.

Not the best pics, the one from the rear is hard to distinguish from the rear diff bracing in the background.

10G
17th August 2020, 09:32 AM
Nice. Does the sub tank sit as low as, or level with the sides, to the right & left of centre of the diff?

MB
18th August 2020, 11:03 AM
Can’t complain, some 25+ years out of a GQ TD42 viscous hub has finally dropped her guts!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/108.jpg
Bit the bullet and went against my OEM preferences usually and we’ll try out one of these UFI aggressive kits from Patrolapart.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/109.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/110.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/111.jpg
Must say, first impressions are it does appear to move a fair bit more air than the old OEM when it was working before its unfortunate blowout on the old faithful clacker.

https://youtu.be/cJ_TlcRC03E

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/112.jpg

0-TJ-0
18th August 2020, 11:27 AM
Can’t complain, some 25+ years out of a GQ TD42 viscous hub has finally dropped her guts!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/108.jpg
Bit the bullet and went against my OEM preferences usually and we’ll try out one of these UFI aggressive kits from Patrolapart.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/109.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/110.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/111.jpg
Must say, first impressions are it does appear to move a fair bit more air than the old OEM when it was working before its unfortunate blowout on the old faithful clacker.

https://youtu.be/cJ_TlcRC03E

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/112.jpg

I got similar from quikazz. Love it but I do wonder what temp the hub actually kicks in at.. Mine seems to come in at about 85 but I think my stat is a 90.

I wonder what the balance there should be. Should the stat open first or the fan spin up? In my head the stat should be cooler than the fan start temp for best fuel economy.

MB
18th August 2020, 01:47 PM
Your logic makes good sense to me too TJ Mate! Unsure what the coupling here from UFI fully kicks in at but I’m running an 82C OEM thermostat in this old girl these days.

Dasa
19th August 2020, 09:59 AM
Did you get to the big in the block when you drained it,it is on the left hand side between cylinder 5 and 6 I think from memory,when I did ours I flushed it a few times...

Yeah the Turbo is plumed in there so I just pulled the water hose off the bottom of the turbo to drain the block.
Gave it another flush leaving the flush solution in overnight without the rad hooked up and got a little more out.
Now to see if I can get the thermostat housing threads fixed.

Edit: Ok striped threads in the thermostat housing have been fixed the 8mm bolts have been replaced with 10mm, the two short bolts are stainless while the long bolt was only available in hardened steel.
Not my handywork but that brings a end to this rad flush.
Had to top up the water once during the 15k drive into the Rochester service center at 30-60kph and the water had stopped circulating again for the last km so just made it without a tow.

PeeBee
25th August 2020, 04:52 PM
Purge day today inside the truck. I needed to empty the barge in order to run the new camping light switch cable to the rear. I wasn't totally surprised at the volume that came out, but now the task is to see if i can reduce it before getting it back off the garage floor.

Mickhead
25th August 2020, 05:02 PM
81849After about 3 fails I think my “no cut wires “ Glow plug timer is working... Still waiting for my ebay cz258 glow plugs to arrive. 81848

10G
25th August 2020, 05:12 PM
Purge day today inside the truck. I needed to empty the barge in order to run the new camping light switch cable to the rear. I wasn't totally surprised at the volume that came out, but now the task is to see if i can reduce it before getting it back off the garage floor.

Lotta rope there Phil, coupla spare head rests as well by the looks...

PeeBee
25th August 2020, 08:28 PM
Lotta rope there Phil, coupla spare head rests as well by the looks...

Never have too much rope! I carry 180m plus the 30 on the drum. Recovery activities are not always straight forward as you know, and have been caught on a few spur tracks where the vegetation is very light and descent anchors are out well past the drum capacity. I days gone past this sort of length in wire rope was a physical impossibility, but now the weight reduction only makes the storage an issue - concentrating on that now. Head rests are off the rear seats

Mickhead
26th August 2020, 05:33 PM
Never have too much rope! I carry 180m plus the 30 on the drum. Recovery activities are not always straight forward as you know, and have been caught on a few spur tracks where the vegetation is very light and descent anchors are out well past the drum capacity. I days gone past this sort of length in wire rope was a physical impossibility, but now the weight reduction only makes the storage an issue - concentrating on that now. Head rests are off the rear seats

Mate.. you could lose a whole 150 grams by dumping one of the thermostats, and I am really curious about the welding glasses too...they will give interesting sun tans :) :)

PeeBee
26th August 2020, 05:40 PM
I dont like zucchini so use them when I am in the solarium getting my full body tan worked on. Perfectly natural thing to do when in lockdown I believe. The truck uses 2 thermostats and these are low temp units so by default are lighter in weight - I am keeping them in. Thank you for your considered assessment.

MB
26th August 2020, 09:55 PM
In fairness Philstar, I thought we almost agreed together that my nuffy ACDelco 88C OEM 6.5 TS pair were good to go all year round, all conditions and built to last real dinkum yanks swear by apparently?
I have applied my yanky OEM TS learnings to other owned TD42 single TS’s and have proven certainly to myself the same outcome in our neck of the woods :-)
Save some weight, there’s room for one more brew in the box right there brother :-)

PeeBee
26th August 2020, 11:23 PM
The only thing I will say about thermostats is that they are reliable devices with good temp activation repeatability unless something goes wrong with the spring/diaphragm. Whether the 88 degC is right for each vehicle is another matter. I think the general cooling setup for the GQ and now the s/c motor is always going to be marginal. I am running the standard thermostats as installed and yet to put the cooler ones in . BD have used the cooler ones for vehicles running around in the heat all the time, which isn't my situation. I doubt very much that a 10degC lowering of the TS is going to make a big difference to how MY engine will run because its generating that much heat its going to get to that 90deg optimum temp anyway, maybe 60 secs later. Its still early days with this set-up so will see how it runs over the summer at speed, in the bush and on the freeway before doing any more changes - one thing at a time - still sorting out the interchiller system for one. I had my radiator temps at 125C with the n/a set-up,at the top of one of those hills on our last outing, so its pretty obvious the TS is not the determinant of the cool running, its airflow, and radiator area coupled with good airflow design and reduced heatsink effect from good core modelling and an optimum water flow rate from the pump, plus limited cavitation and air bubbles around the water jacket- this is supposedly the tack taken by Adrad with this monster alum jobbie i have - yet to see if they have nailed my application.

I also am running a soluble oil coolant instead of the normal 50:50 glycol, and this has better heat transfer properties than the glycol plus has other advantages, but again, it hasn't been proven yet if the claims will result in a prize or not.

Weight reduction, yes, its a focus for sure, working thru the purge all day today and some tomorrow. My focus is not exceeding the actual carrying capacity of the tyres, as I blew a Wrangler to bits heading into Burgoynes on one trip and am sure it was was due to too much weight and just the wrong speed and approach onto a rock. So, if 88C works for you, thats great. i am running 88C until i can prove the need to change, and then it would be the 68 or 72C units i have.

MB
26th August 2020, 11:59 PM
I’m no doubt crazier than you old mate in the old tucker truck lugging extra frypans, woks and pots in case one or three of each isn’t enough for blow ins etc...:-)
At what point do we both start carrying extra springs and shocks and chass-eez to backup the heavy haulage needs of our overthinking together honestly :-)

PeeBee
27th August 2020, 08:03 AM
Good points, its just how we are 'wired', stitch in time, be prepared etc. I am compensating for the weight as you mention with heavier springs, airbags, chassis rail stiffener plates, transfer case reduction kit, bigger engine, bigger brakes and comprehensive communication systems for a bit more security. Luckily it is self limiting to some degree either by space or legislation, so for me the journey is just about complete - well thats what I am trying to convince myself about

Mickhead
27th August 2020, 05:19 PM
Not a fan of zucchinis myself onion slices work better :) what shyts me about carrying spares is that the one part you are not having on board will poo itself.

10G
28th August 2020, 02:01 PM
took the patrol out for a drive today, nice & sunny, quiet roads. I must have gotten used to the old girl prior to covid coz I drive her now and think, gee this old thing is well put together. Comfortable, responsive, secure on the road. Lucky me.

PeeBee
28th August 2020, 06:35 PM
I was getting set to look at the mounting bracket for the 12v vac pump, and knocked it off the bench, hit the concrete and broken the inlet spigot off the pump - FAAAARRRRK me. So onto Proflow to see about a spare part, NUP, nothing listed anywhere, no service kits, nothing, so they have to send off to the manufacturer in China to see what is possible. Anyway, decided to head it off at the 'pass' so fabricated a replacement using a heavy plated washer, tapped a 1/4" bsp thread into the washer and screwed in a brass 90 deg elbow complete with barb. If Proflow come back with a fitting I will swap it out, but right now looks like its a winner. Also mounted the fire extinguisher next to front seat - poor thing has been relocated that many times, noticed the internal pressure is approaching the 'replace band, so next time they are on special will swap it out. Its location also helps to hide the suspension base skirt

Mickhead
29th August 2020, 05:27 PM
Got bored in lockdown wired the light bar, via a hole in the roof. Replaced the rear 2 inch king springs with 3 inch ones because the arse end was drooping. I hope they settle a bit because it looks like a 80s valiant wog chariot.
Washed it.81879

PeeBee
29th August 2020, 06:56 PM
Fabricated a SS spray bar to mist the radiator if it gets too hot, The jets are still 'in the post' so will put the finished item up when complete. It runs off a small Silvan diaphragm pump rated at 2.8LPM, and 45PSI, however the orifice size on each of the 4 sprays is 0.3mm, so I believe this will do a good job and consume minimal water - its an 'on demand set-up', so I will only need it if I start heading into the 100 - 110DegC territory. The water will hit both the radiator core and the 2nd condenser that is part of the A/C and Interchiller system.

Dasa
29th August 2020, 07:07 PM
After reading some horror stories about needing to take out the gearbox after pulling out the clutch fork when replacing the rubber boot today I carefully cut off the old Clutch boot with side cutters then removed the slave cylinder and carefully slid on the new clutch boot.
Safe to say a little research on these forums probably just saved me a lot of work.

Handbreak cable just broke so that is next on the never ending list and it looks like that requires removing the tail shaft.
Is that just a case of doing it back up nice and tight with some locktight when done?

mudnut
31st August 2020, 01:09 AM
I sealed off the air inlet to the carby, and poured a bucket of water into the snorkel to check it out. I was surprised how may leaks showed up.

The main concern is the pre-heat air flap, which produced a steady stream of water. The next worse leaks were at the dust spinner and the factory flange to the mud guard.

I still haven't worked out a way to seal the pre-heat and also keep the vehicle road worthy, and it needs the heat to run properly in winter. I did try a brass reducer and removable plug, but it restricted the air flow too much.

I am toying with the idea of running a flexible steel steel pipe in parallel from the spinner outlet across the headers and up to the pre-heat .

katwoman
31st August 2020, 08:57 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/207.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/208.jpg
Ripped off the old tint, ready for new. Shoulda done it years ago. Sprayed all the window switches, and changed the oil. Gotta love having 5 days off between Changing jobs.

mudnut
31st August 2020, 09:22 PM
Scrubbed the above idea and just made a rubber bung with a small bolt through the centre with a wing nut to squash it and lock it in place. Just gotta remember to fit it and block the pre-heat vacuum line before heading out bush and to remove it when getting home. Too easy!

Plasnart
31st August 2020, 11:10 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/207.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/208.jpg
Ripped off the old tint, ready for new. Shoulda done it years ago. Sprayed all the window switches, and changed the oil. Gotta love having 5 days off between Changing jobs.

Oi Kat woman, where you been? Get back on here! Glad you're looking after the trol but haven't heard from you since Sir Roofy's.

katwoman
1st September 2020, 07:15 AM
Oi Kat woman, where you been? Get back on here! Glad you're looking after the trol but haven't heard from you since Sir Roofy's.

You can have too much of a good thing [emoji23]. Nah, just, you know , living the dream and all.

threedogs
1st September 2020, 04:13 PM
katwoman wow and hi great to hear from you.
My tint is darkest legal for the front windows.
Limo tint for the cargo area and rear doors
Ive had the tint now for over 10 years and I think its to bright

katwoman
1st September 2020, 09:10 PM
katwoman wow and hi great to hear from you.
My tint is darkest legal for the front windows.
Limo tint for the cargo area and rear doors
Ive had the tint now for over 10 years and I think its to bright

Hey john, it’s been a while. I was thinking real dark for barn doors and back windows, lighter for the doors, if it’s too dark it’s hard to see in the bush, but I love the look of dark tint
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/13.jpg
My other cars tints are not legal tho.

jay see
3rd September 2020, 09:47 PM
Ordered stuff.

Finally got around to ordering the winch rope, hook and hawse.

MB
5th September 2020, 08:53 PM
Parked her in the shed as she was trembling at the thought of this recovery load we came across :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/28.jpg
Another 4.2L, albeit Perkins with both diffs locked @ 0.5kmph crawling did the trick [emoji106][emoji106]
Old mate unfortunately wasn’t helping the “Asian’s Can Drive” cause :-)

taslucas
6th September 2020, 08:59 AM
Parked her in the shed as she was trembling at the thought of this recovery load we came across :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/28.jpg
Another 4.2L, albeit Perkins with both diffs locked @ 0.5kmph crawling did the trick [emoji106][emoji106]
Old mate unfortunately wasn’t helping the “Asian’s Can Drive” cause :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMad coincidence. I came across the same size and type of truck in the same predicament on the way to my parents yesterday. But it was full of logs, had slid right off the road and was being dragged out with a skidder. Lucky, because I don't think danis civic would have been much help

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
6th September 2020, 06:06 PM
Ran the hose from pump to spray bar for the radiator mist bar, ran the electrical cables for the pump - waiting on a new pump as the original turned out to be faulty, ordered a 70psi and 4LPM unit instead. Modified the 12v PS pump mount bracket to take the back-up 12V vac pump. Another couple of bee stings out of the way. Tomorrow I might have another crack at getting the rear sway bar back in place.

Mickhead
13th September 2020, 05:22 PM
All of the planets aligned and my covid delayed auspost stuff arrived. Glow plugs are in. On a 20 second timer, the ceramic tip ngks light the poobox up quickly! :) Fitting these was so painless. And the intercooler and related hoses arrived too. Fair bit of work as expected from $350 bucks worth of aftermarket ebay crap, but the egts have dropped again and she almost feels a little less slug like! :) :)
And to top it off the handbrake cable broke!8202482025

katwoman
19th September 2020, 01:09 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/87.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/88.jpg
Got my windows re-tinted.
Now just to find the rear brake light cover, that has grown legs [emoji35]

Hodge
19th September 2020, 02:56 PM
Got out and gave the ol' TD a 5k service today. Fresh filters all 'round. I probably say this every time, but mate, the mess after filters unscrew, devastates me every single time.
Even after a good degrease and clean up, the hidden residue oil making it's way down onto the ground hours later shits me. Makes me questions my self whether i've tightened the new filters enough and is the oil coming out from there maybe lol.
Beer o'clock now.

PeeBee
19th September 2020, 05:55 PM
Fabricated two front winch mounts, used 16mm plate and locked into the chassis nice and tight with 16mm HT bolts in two directions. Big job for the garage gear to make but fun all the same. Needless to say i didn't use the crappy mig to weld it up! Unfortunately could not get the commercially avail mounts to fit as I have covered up the original mount holes and bolts with the Hyd winch cooler and the interchiller assy.

10G
22nd September 2020, 11:12 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/87.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/88.jpg
Got my windows re-tinted.
Now just to find the rear brake light cover, that has grown legs [emoji35]

Looks great Katwoman.

How do you get that grate thing off that rear edge of that back window in the 2nd pic???

katwoman
22nd September 2020, 11:40 AM
Looks great Katwoman.

How do you get that grate thing off that rear edge of that back window in the 2nd pic???

Off the cargo window ? Very gently. It’s just clipped on, but they’ll probably break. They had to get glued back on.

10G
22nd September 2020, 12:40 PM
Off the cargo window ? Very gently. It’s just clipped on, but they’ll probably break. They had to get glued back on.

Oh, OK. I've been wanting to look in behind them. Do they run into the cabin or remain outside of it?? I've been thinking of running diff breathers up there if possible.

katwoman
22nd September 2020, 01:25 PM
Oh, OK. I've been wanting to look in behind them. Do they run into the cabin or remain outside of it?? I've been thinking of running diff breathers up there if possible.

Not sure if you can get breathers in there ? They let the dust in, that’s about it. I never looked to see how big the holes are [emoji2368]

MudRunnerTD
22nd September 2020, 04:17 PM
Bought some seat covers. Grabbed 2 pair. The GU and the GQ deserve these.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/121.jpg

Stoked!!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

mudski
22nd September 2020, 04:26 PM

Stoked!!!

Geez, imagine the smell retention those covers would have after you "drop an egg" on them. Haha!

Mickhead
22nd September 2020, 06:11 PM

Stoked!!!

Bloody hell! For a second I thought a group of foxes were having a swingers party within your vehicle. :) :)

MB
22nd September 2020, 08:40 PM
They do look super comfy Daz, especially for the family GU touring weapon [emoji106][emoji106]
Honestly (sadistically :-) can’t wait for 2021 mountain & mud unlocked GQ weapon adventures to come Dags :-)

10G
23rd September 2020, 11:13 AM
Bloody hell! For a second I thought a group of foxes were having a swingers party within your vehicle. :) :)

hahaha, yeah, what's that bloody thing in the middle, it just looks so wrong.

Hardyards
30th September 2020, 01:02 PM
Greetings all,
Well, finally upgraded the Patrol canopy. The original served us well, but since we have now gone from the Kimberley Kamper to the Kimberley Karavan, we didn’t need as much storage as before. 82131
Removed old canopy and fitted custom made new one 82132
Sold camper trailer 😔 82133
Brought new caravan😃 82134
We are very happy with the new setup. 👍

mudnut
30th September 2020, 05:35 PM
When I first got the engine built, I was invited to take it back for a dyno run with exhaust disconnected at the headers, to see if it made much difference to the output.

I finally got around to it today. We only gained an extra .1 of a kilowatt so I am glad I didn't rush out and waste dosh on a free flowing system, hoping to gain some extra ponies.

10G
30th September 2020, 05:42 PM
When I first got the engine built, I was invited to take it back for a dyno run with exhaust disconnected at the headers, to see if it made much difference to the output.

I finally got around to it today. We only gained an extra .1 of a kilowatt so I am glad I didn't rush out and waste dosh on a free flowing system, hoping to gain some extra ponies.

Yeah, that's not alot extra is it. Rear wheels only I'm guessing?????

PeeBee
30th September 2020, 05:48 PM
Greetings all,
Well, finally upgraded the Patrol canopy. The original served us well, but since we have now gone from the Kimberley Kamper to the Kimberley Karavan, we didn’t need as much storage as before. 82131
Removed old canopy and fitted custom made new one 82132
Sold camper trailer 😔 82133
Brought new caravan😃 82134
We are very happy with the new setup. 👍

I have been looking very hard at the KK, and despite a heap of other styles and variants/makes, keep coming back to the KK. I think its a great package, weight getting up there though which is a concern for my GCM. What yr/model did you buy and what options are fitted?

Hardyards
30th September 2020, 06:28 PM
Hey PeeBee,
It’s the 2015 Eco Suite, so it has everything 👌. Only upgrades are modifications I have done myself to make it suit us better ( longer gas struts to open panels higher) plus sink mods etc, and a new 200 amp lithium enerdrive battery. We specifically wanted the full outdoor kitchen model and this just fell into our lap. This thing will go anywhere the camper trailer went, with way more comfort.
We were the same. Looked for years at different makes and models, but always came back to Kimberley. Had an awesome run from our Kimberley Kamper, so easy choice to upgrade and stay with them.
The newest model has swing out toilet which is an awesome, so maybe upgrade in a few more years 😬

mudnut
30th September 2020, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that's not a lot extra is it. Rear wheels only I'm guessing?????

Yep. He sets the chains up so the drive wheels sit on top of one roller.

gazq
6th October 2020, 10:24 PM
Nice mate. Over 40 years ago my old man came home for lunch one day, and just before he left to go back to work I had been bouncing up and down on the tow bar of his car in the driveway (I was about 4 or 5 I think). I slipped off the tow ball and got the right cuff of my pants hooked over the ball. Laying there on my back trying to unhook my pants, the old man came out to go back to work. I shut up because I thought I'd get in trouble for jumping on the tow ball. He got in but before reversing down the drive he thought he should check behind the car as I wasn't around which was unusual. He found me laying there with one foot hooked to the tow bar. I was too naive to know the danger but he turned white. Cameras are a good thing.

Funny you say that. I did a similar thing following my old man out the door as a young one. As he backed up the bumper contacted my head and my arm flung out just enough that he saw it in his side mirror as he was reversing. You and I shouldn't be here on account of our stories of near death. So this is my way of making sure I can safeguard my son from a similar incident.

Plasnart
6th October 2020, 11:15 PM
Funny you say that. I did a similar thing following my old man out the door as a young one. As he backed up the bumper contacted my head and my arm flung out just enough that he saw it in his side mirror as he was reversing. You and I shouldn't be here on account of our stories of near death. So this is my way of making sure I can safeguard my son from a similar incident.

Honestly can't be too careful in driveways. So dangerous. Just re-reading this something else clicked. When I got my licence the old man told me over and over again; when you come home, reverse into the driveway. When you leave, drive out forwards. May be because of this incident I don't know, it just occurred to me this may be the reason he used to tell me that.

Edit: Brain explosion. To this day I reverse into my driveway as a natural habit and leave the property forwards. I have never ever thought about this. Holy smokes I gotta have a chat with the old man about this, although it might give him some anxious memories.

10G
7th October 2020, 08:28 AM
Yep. He sets the chains up so the drive wheels sit on top of one roller.

holy crap, that'd be a bit hairy, well it sounds hairy. You'd want to get the vehicle dead square.

mudnut
7th October 2020, 11:35 AM
He runs the vehicle in gear and lets it settle and does it a few times until he is happy with the position. It was a bit of a rush when he stood on the go pedal and the Old Trol lurched up onto the roller. It sounded bloody great too. I should've filmed it.

PeeBee
7th October 2020, 05:20 PM
Was under the truck a couple of days ago and noticed how beat up the fuel tanks are from track obstacles. So I measured up for some bash plates and picked up the steel today. Elected to go with 4mm with a top layer of self adhesive rubber so i can fit them with a minimal clearance on the tanks and also stop any drumming or once they get hit again, give a bit of cushioning. Big job, only 80% thru the belly tank, then onto the rear.

MB
7th October 2020, 07:04 PM
Wait ! Weight ! Wait Brother, Let’s Chat :-)

PeeBee
8th October 2020, 10:51 AM
36kg for the steel, if aluminum 12kg for 4mm. 18kg = 2 slabs of beer, i gave up the piss 2 yrs ago, so reckon i am in front. Would rather carry the weight than split a tank or lose the fuel on the side of a hill. The tanks cannot be lifted to improve clearance. The belly tank is the worst as its down the side of the vehicle and that where you line up your obstacles to cross, at the highest diff clearance. The belly tank has had quite a few 'landings' it appears based on the deformations between the internal supports. Cost, not really a consideration, however the steel was $100, If I went aluminum it would have needed to go to 6mm as its softer that steel, so the weight would have risen to 18kg and the cost to $220. The rear tank guard is not flat and requires either a fold x2 or cut and weld to get the right fit - I can work with mild steel in the garage, but not aluminum - no ali welder or folder. Not a lot of options to be honest.

MB
11th October 2020, 07:35 AM
We’ve got some HDPE offcuts down at work if you’d like to trial that mate, laminated 19mm layers and it’s virtually unbreakable yet light, will scratch though but would be easy enough to swap over every few years for free [emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
11th October 2020, 03:42 PM
Tank bash guards completed and installed, happy with the result.822278222882229

mudski
11th October 2020, 04:40 PM
We’ve got some HDPE offcuts down at work if you’d like to trial that mate, laminated 19mm layers and it’s virtually unbreakable yet light, will scratch though but would be easy enough to swap over every few years for free [emoji106][emoji106]

Sounds interesting MB. What is this stuff you talk off?

MB
11th October 2020, 04:47 PM
Looks Awesome Philstar [emoji106][emoji106]

Mark Mate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene

We use it in laminated sheet form for play panels with CNC routed fun pictures/games.
Many boats/tenders are starting to utilise molded HDPE too as it’s unsinkable and great for beach/reef landing smashing strength.

PeeBee
11th October 2020, 05:53 PM
Looks Awesome Philstar [emoji106][emoji106]

Mark Mate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene

We use it in laminated sheet form for play panels with CNC routed fun pictures/games.
Many boats/tenders are starting to utilise molded HDPE too as it’s unsinkable and great for beach/reef landing smashing strength.

I cant find the reference re the HDMWPE - whats this for @MB, mudski?

MB
11th October 2020, 06:44 PM
Reference Mate?

mudski
13th October 2020, 07:57 PM
I cant find the reference re the HDMWPE - whats this for @MB, mudski?

Highly Definite Marks Wise Pronunciations Exist?

PeeBee
13th October 2020, 08:28 PM
HDMWPE - High Density Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene

Good idea for the plate however needs a frame to support it. Also, its a lot thicker than the 4mm sheet, so you lose clearance.

Cremulator
13th October 2020, 09:50 PM
How did you bend those sheets out of curiosity?
They look great, good job PeeBee [emoji106]

PeeBee
13th October 2020, 10:25 PM
How did you bend those sheets out of curiosity?
They look great, good job PeeBee [emoji106]

They are two sheets welde together. The first sheet is flat and replicates the tank base. The second sheet is angled 8 deg upwards and the mount plate on the tow are is bent down 8 degrees. To do the bend without a press I cut a slot thru the sheet leaving 20mm at each end as a hinge. I then simply put the sheet in the vice and used a 15" shifter to bend it down. From there I fitted the tank sheet to the car, then mounted the tow bar plate, jacking the two plates upwards until they met. I then tack welded the two sheets together and left the car overnight as wanted a slow cool on the tacks for max strength. Next morning I unbolted the bash plate and then stitched a couple of temp braces onto the angled plate for total stability, then welded it out, ground out the braces and put the rubber sheet on, painted and fixed it in place. Bingo, all done!

Cremulator
14th October 2020, 08:54 AM
Ah I see! Great written description, makes perfect sense. Bending with a vice and large hammer is how I've been doing smaller projects, but the cutting with hinged ends is a clever approach [emoji108]

PeeBee
14th October 2020, 09:07 AM
Ah I see! Great written description, makes perfect sense. Bending with a vice and large hammer is how I've been doing smaller projects, but the cutting with hinged ends is a clever approach [emoji108]

Watched and learnt from many a tradie in the field!

10G
14th October 2020, 09:09 AM
Highly Definite Marks Wise Pronunciations Exist?

He Didn't Mean With Paper Eric.

MB
15th October 2020, 08:47 PM
Bush Hack Paper Aeroplanes Origami Crem Mate... any thickness too easy without an industrial folder [emoji23][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/82.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/83.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/84.jpg

jay see
15th October 2020, 09:34 PM
Bush Hack Paper Aeroplanes Origami Crem Mate... any thickness too easy without an industrial folder [emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYour definitely the ideas man Mark [emoji12]

MB
15th October 2020, 09:45 PM
Not my idea John Mate... Tradies in Paddocks taught me :-)

PeeBee
15th October 2020, 10:08 PM
Just look at those MIG butter welds - you bloody show-off!!! I can't wait to get my own mobile smelter and start delivering stuff of that quality, good job MB

MB
15th October 2020, 10:23 PM
I can’t wait to get decent grid power up in the hills, seriously considering a fuel powered welder to save money on melting leads and or longer weld time than say 200mm @180amps before resting rubbery snakes for 10 min cool downs in between :-)

10G
16th October 2020, 10:17 AM

That's a clever idea, I'll store that away and hopefully remember it.

jay see
16th October 2020, 11:27 PM
Hodge reminded me to 240v charge my batteries, so I'm doing that now. Thanks mate.

mudski
17th October 2020, 07:26 AM
Just look at those MIG butter welds - you bloody show-off!!! I can't wait to get my own mobile smelter and start delivering stuff of that quality, good job MB

Yeah they are schmick!

PeeBee
17th October 2020, 10:42 AM
Yeah they are schmick!

I said good bye to my little Rossi welder this week, sold on Gumtree to a professional welding tradesman, so with luck he gets some performance out of it that I, the hack, could not.

PeeBee
30th October 2020, 04:12 PM
Beefed up the front with double Koni's. Took about 2 days for the first side and a day for the second. I bought another pair of shocker towers and married them together. Bit of a head twist getting the mounts sorted out but happy with the outcome. I am looking to reduce fade essentially, and for my type of driving this will do just fine. Also, I end up with a ready installed spare if one blows out - but thats a fringe issue i am sure.

Hodge
13th November 2020, 05:02 PM
Re-done, some of Patrols rear area. Got rid of the draws. Fitted the storage boxes in the rear wing area and mostly wired up the Aux battery system. Few more things to do, but otherwise nearly done. Simpler, lighter setup for me.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82414&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82415&stc=1

mudski
13th November 2020, 07:59 PM
Re-done, some of Patrols rear area. Got rid of the draws. Fitted the storage boxes in the rear wing area and mostly wired up the Aux battery system. Few more things to do, but otherwise nearly done. Simpler, lighter setup for me.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82414&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82415&stc=1

Brilliant Eric. I was driving home today from work thinking how you are going with this.

growler2058
14th November 2020, 02:48 PM
Chucked the catch can in. Nice easy Saturday morning job

MudRunnerTD
14th November 2020, 06:45 PM
Stickered her up a little

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/53.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/54.jpg

growler2058
14th November 2020, 07:08 PM
Anyone doing stickers since taslucas pulled the pin mate? MudRunnerTD

MB
14th November 2020, 09:24 PM
Pretty sure Growler Mate that @ Rusty_Nail Mate kindly took over after Lucas Legend some years back with sticker help?
Both I believe have moved onto greener trade pastures and no longer within their reach.
Just wondering AB with technology advances if the Stickery Artwork files with a Nationwide type print mob for any and all could stay on their system or a USB sticky could be mail sent if too big or downloady possible to anyone genuinely interested?

Winnie
14th November 2020, 10:23 PM
Pretty sure Growler Mate that @ Rusty_Nail Mate kindly took over after Lucas Legend some years back with sticker help?
Both I believe have moved onto greener trade pastures and no longer within their reach.
Just wondering AB with technology advances if the Stickery Artwork files with a Nationwide type print mob for any and all could stay on their system or a USB sticky could be mail sent if too big or downloady possible to anyone genuinely interested?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMB I have always laughed at the fact that philbo could not decifer your late night forum XXXX posts. Tonight you have truly outdone my wit and I have to side with Phil. Have booked in for a frontal labotomy next week.

Best wishes, Winnie.

MB
14th November 2020, 11:06 PM
Apologies [emoji23]

IIRC (If I Recall Correctly)
#Lucas kindly used to make the forum stickers?
#Lucas changed jobs (vocation) ?
#Rusty worked for a company that kindly made a small run of stickers for a select few?
#No one is currently making stickers because they all have different jobs now?
#AB find a way to supply stickers?

#Easy Peasy Japanesey [emoji120][emoji23][emoji106]

Winnie
14th November 2020, 11:09 PM
MB,

Glad to see you translate to English
Thanks very much for yours assistance.

Kind regards
Winnie

MB
14th November 2020, 11:12 PM
You are, you’re, your, ya’ll welcome anytime Mate [emoji23][emoji106]

Winnie
14th November 2020, 11:39 PM
Yeeha

growler2058
15th November 2020, 06:51 AM
Apologies [emoji23]

#Easy Peasy Japanesey [emoji120][emoji23][emoji106]

My lady is a Jap so I understood ya puuuurfectly mate

PeeBee
15th November 2020, 08:48 AM
MB I have always laughed at the fact that philbo could not decifer your late night forum XXXX posts. Tonight you have truly outdone my wit and I have to side with Phil. Have booked in for a frontal labotomy next week.

Best wishes, Winnie.

Sounds like a sub group in formation, "The frontal lobotomy herd". Pissed my self laughing then felt some pain as I actually understood it!

Rossco
15th November 2020, 08:54 AM
We have a sticker place almost next door to our work, I'd be happy to organize a few printing runs. . . Just need the file and can get some going if you like AB . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cremulator
15th November 2020, 08:54 AM
It's always a challenge understanding @MB, but it's getting easier with technology! [emoji23]

Dhuck
15th November 2020, 12:10 PM
Got this, this week. Nice new HPD intercooler.

mudski
16th November 2020, 07:46 AM
Chucked it back in the garage and removed the injectors again. Yesterday that was...

Hodge
16th November 2020, 08:13 AM
Chucked it back in the garage and removed the injectors again. Yesterday that was...What's up with the injectors mate ??

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mudski
16th November 2020, 09:35 AM
What's up with the injectors mate ??

Got them reset to near factory, 110bar crack pressure, after the injectors in there were ranging from 105bar to 125bar. The Patrol drove better but still getting hot. After speaking with AG Diesel, again, he asked for the numbers off the injector pump he built. He came back to me saying this pump setup requires 150bar crack pressure injectors and the pump timing to be set at .90. Then re-assess after this.

So I will get the injectors set at 150 bar, adjust the timing and see. No holding my breath for anything to change but we'll see.

PeeBee
16th November 2020, 11:20 AM
Got them reset to near factory, 110bar crack pressure, after the injectors in there were ranging from 105bar to 125bar. The Patrol drove better but still getting hot. After speaking with AG Diesel, again, he asked for the numbers off the injector pump he built. He came back to me saying this pump setup requires 150bar crack pressure injectors and the pump timing to be set at .90. Then re-assess after this.

So I will get the injectors set at 150 bar, adjust the timing and see. No holding my breath for anything to change but we'll see.

What was the crack pressure before you had then reduced to 110? Did AG supply both the injectors and the pump? Were you ever told of this relationship between the pump and the injector cracking pressure or the timing adjustment? Seems like some disconnect here mark?

mudski
16th November 2020, 03:27 PM
What was the crack pressure before you had then reduced to 110? Did AG supply both the injectors and the pump? Were you ever told of this relationship between the pump and the injector cracking pressure or the timing adjustment? Seems like some disconnect here mark?

Your telling me!!! I was never informed of the relationship between the three mate. Not by any workshop I had been too. Even after speaking to AG a couple of times, nothing was mentioned until the last conversation. I was like, why wasn't this bought up earlier?

Anyhow, I'll do as it spec'd then go from there.

The crack pressures were ranging from 105 to 125bar between the six. This all only started since the one of the first lot of injectors failed, so the lot were replaced. Then I was seeing the issues. All fell on deaf ears, the response was all bigger HP TDs get hot. Yeah I do expect it to get warmer, but like any owner, you know your car and what it does and perform, so you notice when something is not quite right.

Keen to see the outcome of this now.

Hodge
20th November 2020, 12:13 PM
Just about finished the minor make over of the rear. And I couldn't be happier!!
Storage box from Horizon Touring is fitted and the lithium battery, charger and all 12V whizbang sitting in there. Draws gone. Fitted up the fridge slide and the fridge cage. Everything else stored neatly in the Expedition tubs. (1 tub pictured, more on the way). Fridge slide and cage are designed and fitted, so that I can remove easily in minutes, if i need room in the rear. Just waiting for the barn table to arrive and pretty much done.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82479&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82478&stc=1

10G
20th November 2020, 01:43 PM
Looks great mate. I saw how Tim Bates did his rear, yours is similar, nothing wrong with that. I use tubs in the rear of mine, but they're the KI TAB tubs, I use 2 x 60 litre ones. I reckon tubs are the way to go. You can carry 'em into the house, you carry 'em to the car, to the tent, to the river etc etc. They're also way lighter than drawers.

Hodge
20th November 2020, 02:56 PM
Looks great mate. I saw how Tim Bates did his rear, yours is similar, nothing wrong with that. I use tubs in the rear of mine, but they're the KI TAB tubs, I use 2 x 60 litre ones. I reckon tubs are the way to go. You can carry 'em into the house, you carry 'em to the car, to the tent, to the river etc etc. They're also way lighter than drawers.

I love Batesy's setup. And I so wish I could rip the second row seats out turning it into a two seater like he did. But family etc...

Different people camp differently.
I've personally realized, ,I'm a tubber. Even when I had draws etc, I'd bring tubs for food etc and have the tubs sitting outside of the vehicle under the table or something. If I'm setting up for a few days/nights, ,I even take the fridge out and it sits in on the stand. Having to continuously get inside the vehicle for food/beer got daunting very fast... And like you said, when home put the storage tubs in the garage.
As for the draws. I had the Kings ones and they are an awesome bit of kit ,best value for $ draws IMO. But they werent for me. Only reason I installed a set was cause I got them for zilch. Continuously carrying 80kg of dead weight (not including the gear), considering how often I go away... Was not viable for me. I've been meaning to rip them out for a long time.
Little while ago i was at bunnings and had to transport something home and it just didnt fit...And that tipped me over the edge. I went home and draws were ripped out within half an hour and that was that.

MB
20th November 2020, 08:46 PM
Couldn’t agree more now Legends [emoji106][emoji106]
For our old family GU wagon with 80kg drawers Clunk indirectly inspired us for a reconsider via his preferred GQ wagon tub usage for all the same reasons above and more (final GVM weights) etc....
Lo and behold back then, behind the scenes FNQGU soon after released his world class Expedition 134 mobile storage boxes and we were SOLD!!
Personally never looking back, tough stackable/mobile boxes are unsolicited the only way to go traveling now IMHO [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
21st November 2020, 01:02 AM
Decent boxes also make for the bestest lazy man windy tent pegs in rock solid gravel pits [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/81.jpg

MB
21st November 2020, 01:10 AM
A big job removing ones 80kg wasted tool drawers to step up box needed practically [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/82.jpg

Rossco
21st November 2020, 06:58 PM
Took it for a drive, did quick Miners track loop to see how the river is looking after the fires (@Mallacoota). Bush starting to come back good, good to see most of the big Banksias coming back. River pretty scorched still but still lovely. .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/85.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/86.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/87.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/88.jpg

Hodge
21st November 2020, 07:42 PM
Awesome Rossco.
Love it how you sound like, oh yeah just took it for a quick drive... to Mallacoota lol.
Also that last photo, unless you look closely, I'd have sworn that burn stick on the left is a black snake....

MB
22nd November 2020, 05:56 AM
Awesome Rossco.
Love it how you sound like, oh yeah just took it for a quick drive... to Mallacoota lol.....
The Skinny Bushman & his Silver Brumby love to travel that’s for sure Hodgey Mate!
Ask him where his new weekender holiday house is [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/91.jpg

Rossco
22nd November 2020, 06:47 AM
Bwahah, must admit, wasn't just a sneaky day drive came up on Wednesday and home today. Good to get up for a bit and check out new house. .

Rossco
22nd November 2020, 09:18 PM
Nice drive home with a little bit of a side trip / exploration on the way . . Found some cool falls thanks to the help of rooftop maps, no way known would have known they were there without. Near Cann River and good to see patches of rainforest survived with a lot burnt around. . .http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/100.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/101.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/102.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/103.jpg

AB
23rd November 2020, 04:01 PM
Finally sorted out my insane death wobbles!

It’s been killing me for months and couldn’t work it so just got the front wheels balanced and they were way out.

110gm left and 130gm right which is huge!

Drives like a dream!

growler2058
23rd November 2020, 07:06 PM
Finally sorted out my insane death wobbles!

It’s been killing me for months and couldn’t work it so just got the front wheels balanced and they were way out.

Drives like a dream!

Nice cheap fix mate

Rossco
23rd November 2020, 07:47 PM
Nuth'n worse than the dreaded death wobbles. .

mudski
23rd November 2020, 07:56 PM

Yeah there is....

PeeBee
23rd November 2020, 08:03 PM
Yeah there is....

Yeah... a three day old cold sausage roll without sauce, that is about as bad as it gets.

mudski
23rd November 2020, 08:28 PM
Yeah... a three day old cold sausage roll without sauce, that is about as bad as it gets.

Cold sausages are the bomb!

jay see
23rd November 2020, 09:15 PM

I got told a while ago that if you need big weights to balance your wheels you should spin them 180 degrees.

mudski
23rd November 2020, 09:21 PM
I got told a while ago that if you need big weights to balance your wheels you should spin them 180 degrees.

Im trying to make sense of that.

Hodge
23rd November 2020, 09:27 PM
Im trying to make sense of that.Yep, I'm scratching my head too

Think he means swap wheels around 180 ...
Kind of like tyre rotation.

jay see
23rd November 2020, 09:31 PM
Im trying to make sense of that.Rotate the wheel 180 degrees on the rim, which makes the heavy spot on the rim now the light. Which now requires less weights.

Hodge
23rd November 2020, 09:34 PM

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkCouldn't agree more. It's farkin horrible ...
I gave up trying to fix mine. Multiple tyre balances and rotations . Wheel bearings . Pretty much every bush up front got done ...
Nowadays I just sit below the 90kmh death wobble sweet spot ...
I'd rather others shake their hands at me for going slower, than my car shaking the hell out of me.

Hodge
23rd November 2020, 09:38 PM
Rotate the wheel 180 degrees on the rim, which makes the heavy spot on the rim now the light. Which now requires less weights.

Sent from my CPH1979 using TapatalkMy head hurts. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/1.gif

AB
23rd November 2020, 09:47 PM
Nice cheap fix mate

$30 bloody dollars lol

Wish I did that at the start!

Mickhead
24th November 2020, 04:35 PM
Rotate the wheel 180 degrees on the rim, which makes the heavy spot on the rim now the light. Which now requires less weights.

Are you saying the rim is out of balance without the tyre on it?

nissannewby
24th November 2020, 05:40 PM
Are you saying the rim is out of balance without the tyre on it?

What I believe Jaysee is trying to say is that if the tyre/wheel combo needs a lot of weight to balance the the tyre should be popped from its bead and reseated approx 180 degrees from where it started. This would then hopefully require a lot less weight to be applied to the tyre wheel combo. Unfortunately there are stuff all shops that really practice this anymore.

jay see
24th November 2020, 06:47 PM
What I believe Jaysee is trying to say is that if the tyre/wheel combo needs a lot of weight to balance the the tyre should be popped from its bead and reseated approx 180 degrees from where it started. This would then hopefully require a lot less weight to be applied to the tyre wheel combo. Unfortunately there are stuff all shops that really practice this anymore.I believe you are correct mate. Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

The last tyre place I went to, I asked if they would do that to reduce the amount of weights and they did.

Mickhead
25th November 2020, 04:58 PM
What I believe Jaysee is trying to say is that if the tyre/wheel combo needs a lot of weight to balance the the tyre should be popped from its bead and reseated approx 180 degrees from where it started. This would then hopefully require a lot less weight to be applied to the tyre wheel combo. Unfortunately there are stuff all shops that really practice this anymore.

Mate that suggests the rim is unbalanced too, that is not ideal!

mudski
25th November 2020, 09:04 PM

Yeah I was thinking thats what he was trying to say today. But, it could also make balancing worse too. But yeah, how many shops would spend the time rotating a rim.

DX grunt
25th November 2020, 09:54 PM
Purchased 2 x 40" Extreme Series lightbars from Lights and finally got them sorted, and they sit proudly on my bull bar.

I just need to wire them up. Love em to bits! :049::049::049:

Had the roof painted this week, and have another bonnet to go on real soon.

nissannewby
25th November 2020, 10:03 PM
Mate that suggests the rim is unbalanced too, that is not ideal!

It could suggest that yes. You would hope an experienced tyre fitter/mechanic would know this. Its as easy as removing the tyre and spinning the wheel up on the balancer to check. You could also do this check prior to fitting the tyre. Even go as far as to balance the wheel and then fit the tyre and balance again.

I was also merely pointing out what jay see was trying to say amid the confusion.

mudski . Yes it could make it worse but you will never know unless you try. And more often than not these days guys will happily throw 100g+ of weight in one spot which seems excessive.

Avo
25th November 2020, 10:11 PM
Purchased 2 x 40" Extreme Series lightbars from Lights and finally got them sorted, and they sit proudly on my bull bar.

I just need to wire them up. Love em to bits! :049::049::049:

Had the roof painted this week, and have another bonnet to go on real soon.

82528Are they on the outside of the bar DX

DX grunt
26th November 2020, 12:14 AM
They are. Love them there. No reflections.

BillsGU
26th November 2020, 03:43 PM
Can they spin just the rim on a wheel balancer to see if it has a balance issue? I've never seen it done, but ...?

PeeBee
26th November 2020, 05:48 PM
Swapped out the mechanical boost gauge today for a VDO electronic unit. The mechanical wasn't getting a good signal as the capillary line was restricted. New one is very reactive and boost is looking more like I expected it at 16 - 18psi out of the nominal 20psi pulley set that on the s/c, allowing for the press drop across the i/c

jay see
26th November 2020, 07:03 PM
Regarding the wheel balancing.

Someone told me about the 180 degree spin years ago and never really worried about it until the last set of tyres that I brought. I mentioned it to the tyre shop and they did it. I did drive out with over $2k worth of tyres and rims.

Bidja
26th November 2020, 08:08 PM
Would recon as part of wheel rim new manufacture production lot acceptance, a random sample quantity would be subjected to a spin up balance compliance test.

Recently also was experiencing 80-85 kph wobbles (33s M/T), balanced twice, pretty sure bearing were OK and then swapped fronts to rear and fixed.

MB
28th November 2020, 02:50 PM
Bolted up a Sun Room for afternoon summer roadside Grandpa Spec naps [emoji23][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/120.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/121.jpg
The ‘Safeguard’ Mozzie net fits pretty well too [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/122.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/123.jpg

Winnie
28th November 2020, 03:22 PM
Bolted up a Sun Room for afternoon summer roadside Grandpa Spec naps [emoji23][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/120.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/121.jpg
The ‘Safeguard’ Mozzie net fits pretty well too [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/122.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat would be the ultimate setup on a warm summers night under the stars once the awning is rolled away

MB
28th November 2020, 04:09 PM
Sure is, have always preferred sleeping up top on utes away from critters as best as possible[emoji106]
Sir Roofy, Bless Him, once gave me a good morning talkin too though for parking too close to his and Jane’s caravan.....reckons the mut wouldn’t stop barking/snoring out there all bloody night [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Plasnart
28th November 2020, 05:26 PM
Sure is, have always preferred sleeping up top on utes away from critters as best as possible[emoji106]
Sir Roofy, Bless Him, once gave me a good morning talkin too though for parking too close to his and Jane’s caravan.....reckons the mut wouldn’t stop barking/snoring out there all bloody night [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

He was being polite mate. Wasn't actually the dog snorting all night :D

AB
29th November 2020, 03:45 PM
Just got back from taking the old girl to Murrindindi, awesome weather, river swimming and waterfall walks.

It’s great to get back out there after lockdown!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/131.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/132.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/11/133.jpg

Mickhead
30th November 2020, 05:13 PM
+1 Fark Lockdown 82543 :)

Avo
1st December 2020, 12:04 AM
Look2d at it again and againhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/1.jpg

MB
1st December 2020, 01:05 AM
Mean, yet still as sweet as Apple Pye...3.142 Expedition Marron [emoji106]
Harrop that Black Beauty up and raise some serious Mafioso back hairs Brother [emoji41][emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
2nd December 2020, 03:03 PM
Been looking at airflow to the radiator lately and despite my grill area being very open, nil obstructions at all, the Nissan plastic grill blocks the airflow by around 40%. So..... out with the magic grinder and out the centre section came. I am already running a mesh bug screen that would be up around the 95% open area at worst, so hard screwed that over the hole, added a 8mm threaded rod across ways for support and back in place - will be interesting what difference it makes. I was prompted by a post from a guy in the NT who was having trouble with his chev conversion overheating, and he played around and removes the entire grill over the summer months and fixed his overheating issue - worth a try i reckon.82559825608256182562

Brissieboy
3rd December 2020, 10:04 AM
I am already running a mesh bug screen that would be up around the 95% open area at worst

No way that expanded mesh is 95% open - I reckon 70% tops.

PeeBee
3rd December 2020, 01:47 PM
No way that expanded mesh is 95% open - I reckon 70% tops.

Whatever Bud, you do your homework and I'll do mine.

gaddy
3rd December 2020, 02:41 PM
Just a note on the tyre balancing thing .

Ever noticed the red and yellow dots on the side walls .
Red is the lightest part of the tyre , and goes to the valve stem

Yellow should match to a indent on the rim . Cheap rims probably won't have it .genuine rims do .
One of the fist things I learnt hanging out in the old man's work shops as a kid .

PeeBee
3rd December 2020, 02:43 PM
Just a note on the tyre balancing thing .

Ever noticed the red and yellow dots on the side walls .
Red is the lightest part of the tyre , and goes to the valve stem

Yellow should match to a indent on the rim . Cheap rims probably won't have it .genuine rims do .
One of the fist things I learnt hanging out in the old man's work shops as a kid .

Thats really interesting, thanks. I have noticed those dots before but never knew why they were there.

Plasnart
3rd December 2020, 05:10 PM
What the??

Just checked mine and I see no dots of any colour (Mickey Thompson MTZs) and no indents on genuine Patrol steelies (obviously couldn't see below lead weights though). Checked inside and out.

gaddy
3rd December 2020, 07:16 PM
What the??

Just checked mine and I see no dots of any colour (Mickey Thompson MTZs) and no indents on genuine Patrol steelies (obviously couldn't see below lead weights though). Checked inside and out.There just dabs of paint on the tyre and wear of quickly .

MB
9th December 2020, 03:32 PM
Installed new front CV/Axles in the 35 year old GQ Grandpa Spec ute. Wasn’t 100% happy with the full lock smoothness of CV rotation and some wear appearing on the inner seal axle region.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/50.jpg
Usually stick with Nissan OEM parts but....... nearly $2,000 AUD for a set, bugger that!!
$169 per side from Patrolapart for ‘Roadsafe’ aftermarket brand will have to do [emoji23]
Keeping the old OEM ones onboard for spares if ever needed out there or if the aftermarket ones explode, hopefully not [emoji1696]

mudski
10th December 2020, 08:29 PM
Installed new front CV/Axles in the 35 year old GQ Grandpa Spec ute. Wasn’t 100% happy with the full lock smoothness of CV rotation and some wear appearing on the inner seal axle region.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/50.jpg
Usually stick with Nissan OEM parts but....... nearly $2,000 AUD for a set, bugger that!!
$169 per side from Patrolapart for ‘Roadsafe’ aftermarket brand will have to do [emoji23]
Keeping the old OEM ones onboard for spares if ever needed out there or if the aftermarket ones explode, hopefully not [emoji1696]

Nice. I replaced mine a while back too. NTM branded CV’s which is what the OEM ones are for a 1/4 of the OEM price.

MB
10th December 2020, 10:04 PM
Cheers Mr Mark Mate!
Tis a fair dinkum mine field out there finding/trying to make sense of aftermarket quality versus OEM stupidly priced!
Cooling wise, I’m personally staying staunch on OEM and wherever else possible but near $2,000ish for front axles possibly not needed was ridiculous:-(
A serious thread on such pros [emoji739] cons for particular aftermarket parts with found unfortunate/fortunate findings experienced would be factually hopefully awesome [emoji106][emoji106]

Mickhead
13th December 2020, 05:37 PM
Ok this is strange. Yesterday I lost my dashboard temp gauge. No reading. So i arced up the NDS on the android head unit via the nisbie and it was giving me accurate water temps via the ECU. Disconnected the battery overnight. Drove it this morning, temp gauge not reading but NDS giving real results. Had a closer look and found a temp sensor on the drivers side of the zd30 with a broken wire. Reattached it and the gauge now works. So..... WHERE THE FUK IS THE ECU GETTING ITS WATER TEMP READINGS FROM?

mudski
14th December 2020, 11:49 AM
OWHERE THE FUK IS THE ECU GETTING ITS WATER TEMP READINGS FROM?

Theres another coolant sender unit for the glow plugs, from this one I would assume.

JamesBrown89
17th December 2020, 03:36 AM
Today, I picked up and fitted a Tigerz11 Grande 12,000lb winch, and over the past few weeks I have fitted a genuine steel winch bar, rated recovery points to the front, make and installed a table for the rear door, fiited LED lights over the table and into the awning, and last but not least fitted a rear work light.

PeeBee
23rd December 2020, 04:29 PM
Decided to start on the installation of the Boss rear Coil brackets after work stalled today. launched into the drivers side at 11am, crawled out at 3pm, what a fiddly job it turned into. There are two bots that need to be undone that hold the brake lines I am guessing, so the 4 mounting bolts can be installed in the top plate. On the garage floor, could not get the nuts undone, so drilled them out. Found I actually had a 50mm coil spacer on top of the 300kg Dobinson coil - forgot it was there, so out that came as well as a Firestone 'in coil' airbag.

All back together on drivers side, sitting down a fair way, have not inflated the BOSS triple airbags yet but think a trip down to Dobinsons in Dandenong in the new year to get another set of rear coils, heavier and longer. Tomorrow i plan to do the pass side as its supposed to be a lot easier than the drivers side. Beautiful simple bracket, well presented kit and instructions including the engineering certificate, happy days.

Bonnet still sitting there waiting for my attention - maybe after Xmas.

Winnie
23rd December 2020, 04:32 PM
Today, I picked up and fitted a Tigerz11 Grande 12,000lb winch, and over the past few weeks I have fitted a genuine steel winch bar, rated recovery points to the front, make and installed a table for the rear door, fiited LED lights over the table and into the awning, and last but not least fitted a rear work light.Sounds like you are making short work of it. Do you have any pics to share?

mudnut
23rd December 2020, 05:42 PM
Decided to start on the installation of the Boss rear Coil brackets after work stalled today. launched into the drivers side at 11am, crawled out at 3pm, what a fiddly job it turned into. There are two bots that need to be undone that hold the brake lines I am guessing, so the 4 mounting bolts can be installed in the top plate. On the garage floor, could not get the nuts undone, so drilled them out. Found I actually had a 50mm coil spacer on top of the 300kg Dobinson coil - forgot it was there, so out that came as well as a Firestone 'in coil' airbag.

All back together on drivers side, sitting down a fair way, have not inflated the BOSS triple airbags yet but think a trip down to Dobinsons in Dandenong in the new year to get another set of rear coils, heavier and longer. Tomorrow i plan to do the pass side as its supposed to be a lot easier than the drivers side. Beautiful simple bracket, well presented kit and instructions including the engineering certificate, happy days.

I shoulda gone the Boss kit. They're a helluva lot easier to install than the Superior kit.

MB
16th January 2021, 10:42 PM
At the beginning of a GQ Grandpa Spec ute build/bought up to gnarlier tracks worthiness and currently scratching my head where best to lazy situate all rocker switches pilfered off the soon to be GU daily comfier ute tourer again[emoji120][emoji106]
Found this beaut aluminium extrusion originally family built for a 240v application and after a quick docking fits the old GQ flat dash perfectly[emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/108.jpg
Carling switches off the GU will work well too by the dozen I believe/hope [emoji1696]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/109.jpg
Before I start on this next wacky adventure can anyone kindly please guide me as to whether they believe the summer time parked up windscreen heat might cause an issue on the switches possibly....hopefully not? [emoji120]

PeeBee
17th January 2021, 04:52 AM
No issue @MB

MB
17th January 2021, 08:02 AM
Thanks Philstar, Appreciated [emoji106][emoji106]

Rossco
17th January 2021, 02:24 PM
Bloody nice Markie, think it's time Grampa Gold got his own build thread lol. . [emoji6]

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2021, 08:55 PM

The drivers side was a bustard. Passenger side was easier. Add to that that my Drivers Side had a 4" tear that I had to deal with. Was a mongrel.

PeeBee
17th January 2021, 09:07 PM
The drivers side was a bustard. Passenger side was easier. Add to that that my Drivers Side had a 4" tear that I had to deal with. Was a mongrel.

Darren, agree, I was totally over it doing this on the ground. When the guys at Dobinsons dropped the old coils out they found the passenger side top hat screws had rattled loose, yet the drivers which was the pig were tight as. Anyway, would have been heaps easier with a hoist for sure, but its now done and won't be going near it ever again!! Luckily I only had very very minor spring seat deformation and I handled that by linishing off the BOSS steel work a little bit in a couple of spots and it sat perfectly.

mudski
19th January 2021, 10:20 AM
So I’ve been chasing a rattle that resonates from under my feet. Can here here quite loudly from outside when on dirt roads and even sometimes when I go over those small reflectors on the blacktop.
Got under today with a rubber mallet and tapped on the radius arm and the sound is from the drop box.
Pulled it all apart and found the metal stepped bush that goes into the chassis, then a bolt goes right through the lot, is quite lose in the chassis.

You can see the wear mark on the bush....

I found the small end of the bush is also ever so slightly longer so the washer and nut that holds it in wouldn’t be holding tight enough too.
I rang the 4wd shed to see if I can get a new bush and they don’t think I can. They are ringing Roadsafe to see if this is the case though.

If not I’ll have to weld the bush in....

mudski
19th January 2021, 08:18 PM
So Roadsafe wont sell a new bush. So I grinded about 1mm off the small end of the bush, cleaned it all up and where the bush goes in, smeared the bush in a metal filler putty. Fitted the bush and mig welded it in so it won't move. Put it all back together and its quiet as a mouse now.