OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Fuel filter replacement and MAF clean.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel filter replacement and MAF clean.

Hi Guys,

Just uploaded my first YouTube video of how to change out the fuel filter on my 2004 Patrol and have the thing start after changing it out. I had a lot of dramas with this the first few times I changed it (and I note a lot of members here having the same problem). Anyhow I sorted this and thought I would post a YouTube vid with the way to do it so that the vehicle would start straight away, rather than the 400 cranks it took originally. Hope this helps. While I was there I also added a bit at the end on how to clean your MAF as forum people had asked this a few times.

It's a bit long, but hey fast forward to the bits you need, as I don't know how to edit well yet. Learning though. Comments are welcome. Let me know if it is any good or not, thanks heaps.

Not sure how to link yet, so just search Nissan Patrol Fuel filter, and it should pop up. Or try https://youtu.be/pzuUZ8uFavw

I will be putting up some more fuel care videos in the near future and other Patrol tidbits...

And if you enjoy aviation, keep an eye out for my new aviation investigation videos in the next few weeks....

Best regards

Shady

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to steve4377 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (9th November 2015), Bacho86 (11th November 2015), BigRAWesty (3rd January 2016), Dave_H (12th November 2015), FNQGU (9th November 2015), foggs (10th November 2015), Hodge (8th November 2015), jack (12th November 2015), qwertytank (24th November 2015), Ronin (9th November 2015), Rumcajs (8th November 2015), Sir Roofy (30th November 2015), threedogs (8th November 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate,
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to film the instructions, it will able to certainly assist those member who have not been brave yet to tackle such jobs.

I'd like to add a couple of points but want to assure you it is not a criticism just the observations....

Use old beach towel or large rag to cover the entire battery,
    Do use the drain tap on the filter, have a hose in there you can slip 0.6-1.25 L plastic soft drink bottle underneath and then drain away so no mess at all,
    slip the same bottle on to the filter housing fitting later when when priming the system too.
    Don't bother to top up the hose as keeping it positioned higher after it it is disconnected so it stays full.

I did find that taking the intercooler cover off makes it much easier (its only 4 bolts).

I do have a question though, did you know there is suppose to be an "O" ring on the base of the "boss" where filter screws on to. there is a groove around it for that?

I run without and with it and noticed slight difference in IVC % after I did use the "O" ring. Trying to find out from Nissan if it is needed or not is like squeezing a blood from a stone, but it is still available and Nissan dealers stock them too so what does that tell you? I'm genuinely interested if anyone has an answer to this conundrum.

Regards

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (9th November 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rumcajs for the tips. I would imagine that the boss ring seal is now redundant due to the seal being self contained on the filter itself. The seal was probably envisaged as being necessary when the unit was designed but is now not required. Just a guess mate. Cheers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve4377 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (9th November 2015)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I am just about to tackle this job, so the video and tips are very much appreciated.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be doing this next week.

Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the informative upload mate. I'll be tackling this (first fuel filter I've attempted) as well as an oil change on the weekend.
    My Patrol is an 08 crd, i'm gathering it's pretty much the same principal?
    2008 GU6 ST 3.0 CRD Auto, 2" Lift, ARB Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Side Steps, Maxxis 980 A/T, Roof Rack.....................

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
    Thanks for the informative upload mate. I'll be tackling this (first fuel filter I've attempted) as well as an oil change on the weekend.
    My Patrol is an 08 crd, i'm gathering it's pretty much the same principal?
    Cheers mate. Not sure about those CRD models as the filter changed and it has a couple more lines coming out of it, and is a lot more expensive. So maybe a CRD owner here can give you tips. I always find that it's important to get the air out of the system so the car will start properly afterwards. If not you may get codes set (if this happens don't panic just ensure you reset the codes) engine light comes on. I made the video as it seems that when people do their filter they sometimes get an errant code and start replacing stuff that is perfectly okay. So if you get any issues just get help here on the forum to reset codes. Don't buy parts you don't need,

Cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steve4377 For This Useful Post:

Dave_H (14th November 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the video! Very good to see how it's done.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shady for the Video, I'm guessing the better half was super thrilled to have a fuel covered measure back for ironing.
    I'm not game to try and pinch mine form the misses.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertytank View Post
    Thanks Shady for the Video, I'm guessing the better half was super thrilled to have a fuel covered measure back for ironing.
    I'm not game to try and pinch mine form the misses.
    Rofl....yeah mate, well to tell the truth my missus just bought a new iron, and so I pinched the new one!
    But they do wash up okay with soap...otherwise fuel in a hot iron could cause a complete disaster, unless of course you've been married for over thirty years and she ain't getting any younger, and she has a large life insurance policy...just saying....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve4377 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (30th November 2015), BigRAWesty (3rd January 2016)