User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: supercharging a tb42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with the good old Turbo guys?

You don't have to have a large laggy turbo to make power. You can get them custom made to suit your needs so.. ie: come onto boost earlier, later, mid range. Some guys actually put smaller turbos on the 4.2 to have the boost come on lower in the rev range, purely for bush driving and comps.

I mean, supercharging is cool and all that but I think you could definitely get similar results from looking into custom Turbo's a bit more. Would save a bit of hassle, just my 2cents.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked this out ??

http://www.turbonetics.com.au/2026/index.htm

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I would think that a larger Motor would be the answer as Supercharging an older type Motor would place considerable strain and would be the same for Turbo Charging.
    You need low down Power at times and top end as well and a larger Motor should be the answer
    Yep I agree......... I think it would be the cheapest way out too in the long run....

Thay used to say, you can't beat the cubic inch but these days thay have proven you can (to a degree anyway) What you won't & normally don't get from an aired up smaller engine is longevity & also it reliability comes into question as well.

Yet non of these questions are raised when talking about cubes (ie V8's & the likes). No one ever says: well that won't last long or thats not real reliable??? Ok so you may spend a little more up front but if you get more reliable power & Torque & good life & airing up a smaller engine shortens its life & makes it less reliable for almost the same bucks I really don't see the point in going any other way.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

p.s Nothing sounds tuffer than a V8 mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    255kw at the flywheel (not sure what it equates to at the rear wheels, but basically more than double what I have now!!).
    Hmm.. from memory, I think you factor in around -30% calculating F(fly)WKW's into R(rear)WKW's.

So; 255kw - 30% = 178.5rwkw's

Would be *roughly* around that i think.

cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and just to clarify, I'm not saying superchargers are worse than turbo's (because fact is, they are both classed as superchargers!) I'm just talking from price point. If money isn't an object then I would definitely be dropping in an LS2 V8 with the marks adapters rather than stuff around make the old TD42 push out heaps of power. Or even better, one of those awesome V8 diesels that are becoming popular now. Even more money but best of both worlds!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    To much bloody money more like it......LMFAO

Throw a bit my way I'll help you spend it.....ROFLMFAO
    I wish mate - like you, I work for it ... it wasn't a gift, nor a lottery win!! Starting to feel like I should keep my build to myself!! lmao

Nahhhh ....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Hmm.. from memory, I think you factor in around -30% calculating F(fly)WKW's into R(rear)WKW's.

So; 255kw - 30% = 178.5rwkw's

Would be *roughly* around that i think.

cheers
    That's about it old mate!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Oh and just to clarify, I'm not saying superchargers are worse than turbo's (because fact is, they are both classed as superchargers!) I'm just talking from price point. If money isn't an object then I would definitely be dropping in an LS2 V8 with the marks adapters rather than stuff around make the old TD42 push out heaps of power. Or even better, one of those awesome V8 diesels that are becoming popular now. Even more money but best of both worlds!
    Me too!!!! lmao

Can't afford the big V8 diesels, and can't justify it for my needs either ... that said, at the end of this process I'll be about $34000 out in total including the buy price of the rig - for what I want that's acceptable to me - no different to going out and buying a $34000 car and paying it off over a loan period ... which I'm sure plenty of us have ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Me too!!!! lmao

Can't afford the big V8 diesels, and can't justify it for my needs either ... that said, at the end of this process I'll be about $34000 out in total including the buy price of the rig - for what I want that's acceptable to me - no different to going out and buying a $34000 car and paying it off over a loan period ... which I'm sure plenty of us have ...
    Yeah have to agree with you there mate!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm. much to think about. my situation is my motor is only ten thousand kms old. A motor swap is too expensive for me.
    how hard is it to convert to efi? is it just bolt on things or is it a completely different motor? turbo not a bad idea either
    worked in tyre industry for 7 years. so any tyre questions just ask

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast