Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you replaced your flooring carpet/vinyl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you replaced your flooring carpet/vinyl

Brought the new purchase home two nights ago and have decided the first job is to replace the carpet with vinyl. Last time I did this, I thought the shape moulding from the vinyl supplier (Victoria) was a bit ordinary. Wanted to find out other members experience or recommendations. Better option maybe to buy a second hand vinyl floor from the wreckers (at least the shape moulding will be perfect). Any experiences, recommendations or suggestions welcomed.......
    Tony.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sandgrabba do a moulded vynyl floor for the front and back.
    On another note most who have replaced it have used "Dyna matt"
    to insulate from sound and from what Ive read its very good
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Dynamat absorbent?
    Being the owner of a DX, i.e. a Patrol with vinyl flooring, the idea of putting anythng under the vinyl which is capable of absorbing water is IMHO a bad idea. Certainly noise reduction is worthwhile.........but stuff which gets wet underneath vinyl does not dry out. It remains soggy & damp, gradually smelling worse & worse. The factory insulation under my vinyl flooring had to be completely removed & took around 10 days to fully dry out & stop smelling.

When I bought the car someone commented on how good it was to have vinyl flooring, suggesting it could be easily ‘hosed out’ if need be. Ha ha.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never done it to any of my cars. But I helped a family friend out fitting vinyl after we had to remove his carpet out when he flooded it in toolangi. Carpet was destroyed.
    Bitch of a job to do.
    So his feedback in weeks coming after vinyl fitting. Vinyl gets really hot in the sun, the NEW plastic / vinyl smell says in the car for ages! First few days were unbearable in the vehicle. And yeah he did flood it again after it. But was much easier to clean. Lift vinyl out and dry everything.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I will definately be replacing the carpet with vinyl. New carpet will not be an option. Just a matter of where I source it from. Either-
    1) Wreckers (benefit being it is well moulded and will fit to the floor perfectly)
    2) After Market (down side is that they are not always perfect forming. Plus side it is brand new)

I think I need to find out if there is a Nissan Patrol wreckers in Melbourne Northern suburbs, and to call them to see how much for a second hand vinyl flooring (no underlay) is for a GU Patrol.
    Can anyone advise of a Nissan Patrol wreckers in Melbourne Northern suburbs?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,450 Times in 5,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Tony, not Northern Suburbs but Patrol Apart-Lilydale have been great to me personally over the years. If they haven't got it in stock they'll have a best crack at getting it in for you ASAP. I'm too busy during the working year to track down obscure parts needed but Aaron & the boss man always seem to get it done on our rigs for us :-) Scored a Kaymar rear bar double swing jobbie for Mrs MB's GU tow rig for 'well' under half new RRP earlier in 2016 ;-)
    Happy New Year 2017 Tony :-) !!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like MB said. Patrolapart. Or there is a enormous Nissan wrecker in Brooklyn. Nisswreck. Between these 2 mobs of they don't have it, good luck finding it.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Will call both of them on Tuesday. Cheers.

Sent from Tony's Samsung S5 using Taptalk.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,695 Times in 3,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Is Dynamat absorbent?
    Being the owner of a DX, i.e. a Patrol with vinyl flooring, the idea of putting anythng under the vinyl which is capable of absorbing water is IMHO a bad idea. Certainly noise reduction is worthwhile.........but stuff which gets wet underneath vinyl does not dry out. It remains soggy & damp, gradually smelling worse & worse. The factory insulation under my vinyl flooring had to be completely removed & took around 10 days to fully dry out & stop smelling.

When I bought the car someone commented on how good it was to have vinyl flooring, suggesting it could be easily ‘hosed out’ if need be. Ha ha.
    Dynamat and the closed cell foam we used in our build a while back will not absorb water, unlike the factory fluff.
    Imo if going from carpet to vynal spend the extra $250 and sound deaden it
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Dynamat and the closed cell foam we used in our build a while back will not absorb water, unlike the factory fluff.
    Imo if going from carpet to vynal spend the extra $250 and sound deaden it
    Yep the factory ‘fluff’ is to be avoided. Worse than carpet when under vinyl. If I manage to get it wet again it wont be going back in! Sounds like Dynamat/closed cell foam is the go. Wish I’d used it to replace all the soggy fluff last time.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st January 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast