OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: TB42E fuel pump testing. Running fine on gas but only idles nice on petrol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42E fuel pump testing. Running fine on gas but only idles nice on petrol.

There have been a few threads about LPG/Petrol TB42E's running badly, but not a lot of clear answers. Here's some photos and info that I hope will be helpfull to others.
    Runs fine on gas, but switch to petrol and it will idle OK but coughs and farts when you push the go pedal.
    It was suggested that the fuel strainer was clogged, so I dropped the belly tank and pulled the pump out. - sure enough the pump strainer was pretty dirty.

THis is the tank strainer after cleaning it (on a different pump for testing)
    IMG_0998.JPG

Dirt and dust had entered the tank from a split breather hose. The 3/4" breather that runs to the filler cap had turned hard and split right near the tank. Some clown had used heater hose instead of fuel vapor hose.
    IMG_1006.JPG

Because the tank was a bit of a b!tch to remove, I figured it would be smart to test the pump before refitting the whole shebang.
    I made up a test jig from some spare hydraulic parts, variable pressure relief valve and an air compressor gauge.
    IMG_1003.JPG

The fuel pump was only pushing about 1.5 litres a minute at 17psi . Above 20psi the flow stopped.
    Specs are hard to get, but it should push about 4 litres/min at 40psi.

Ordered in a Fuelmiser pump FPE284 which cross referenced to the EP128AU Ac-delco pump. Base is different, terminals are different, won't mount on original Patrol tank sender. Modified the sender with some 8mm rod, fuel rubber and hose clamp to take the FPE284 pump, drilled out the terminals to fit.
    IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG

Tested the new pump on my test rig - 4.5 litres/min @ 40psi, 3 litres/min at 60psi, pumped up to 80psi before the pump pressure relief valve let go.
    IMG_1004.JPGIMG_1005.JPG

FItted it up and it runs without a problem.
    But the "O" ring on the top of the tank that seals the pump/sender is leaking. Pull the tank out again "oh joy" NOT.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    Best way to deal with a "Can't" is to chop off the "t" and brew it in boiled water for a few minutes.
    Sip on the "t", and consider what you've got left to work with

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arfa Brayne For This Useful Post:

dom14 (26th July 2016), threedogs (24th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On the water side of the gas system fit "Ys" instead of TEEs for a more efficient water flow
    and less chance of cavitation. Also don't forget to bleed all air from the system as well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331600319...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Arfa Brayne (25th July 2016), dom14 (26th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Y pipe diameter for the LPG converter water lines is 16mm.
    You can either buy it from here, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-1...08.4.81.eO7mOw
    and wait 2-4 weeks or can buy it from Pirtek or similar hydraulic stuff shop.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach