Thread: Starting a 3.0L diesel with turbo timer

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting a 3.0L diesel with turbo timer

Just bought a 2006 GR with an Motorsports turbo timer installed. The Patrol changed into our hands while I was out of the country, so I didn't get the lowdown from the seller and now he's out of the country.

There's general confusion about the procedure to start the Patrol, and I've run the battery down trying to start more times than it's started.
    I live in the mountains in the tropics. A really cold day is when the low is in the 60s F/16 C.

The owner said in the morning, when the engine is cold, to turn the key to ON for 30 seconds to warm up the glow plugs, turn the turbo timer off, turn the key off, turn it back on for a few seconds before trying to start it.

The friend who received the Patrol from the seller said the turbo timer needs to be set to 000, turn the key to ON for 30 seconds, turn it off, turn it on for 5 seconds, turn it off, turn it on for 5 seconds, start the car, then set the turbo timer to 30 seconds.

It shouldn't be this difficult so I'm sure it's a procedural error on my part that's not allowing it to start.

Would appreciate any and all advice. Very frustrated at this point!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rkondivers; 16th December 2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Wrong brand name of the turbo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remove the turbo timer altogether, and just start as normal, then when you stop, just let it idle cruise in - keep the revs and power output low and drive it easy.

I never bother with this too much around our local area, but I do when pushing it hard out on the highways and motorways. Then when I pull over or pull off to fill up with diesel, see something, etc, I just sit in it and let it idle for 30 seconds and you are done.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Happygu. I think that's a great idea. I'll try to find someone that knows how to do that. I'm mechanically and electrically inept

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that the problem the whole time was using the wrong key. Got 3 on a keyring with the car, but wasn't here for the handover. One key doesn't start the car at all, another only works when the correct side is up, and haven't tried the third key yet. All the keys are original with the Nissan molded rubber grip.
    Were chips used in the 2009 series? Not used to all the new-fangled gadgets.

I just leave the turbo timer off and let the engine idle for a minute or so when I get home.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,346 Times in 6,456 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah yours will have the NATs system, which is the chip in the key fob. Strange that one key will only work one way. They should work both ways. I'm not sure if you can where you live, but I would get new keys cut, but not from the old key though. Get the lock code from Nissan and most decent locksmiths can cut a key from the code. Then you have a key that is cut correct and not from a worn out key. They should be able to supply a new chip and in the fob too. Well they can here anyway...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

rkondivers (18th December 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to why only one side will work, it's a mystery. The GR only has 68K km on it, so the key shouldn't be too worn by now, I wouldn't think.
    Didn't receive a key fob
    I'll check with the local Nissan dealer.

Thanks!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Panama (Central America)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,346 Times in 6,456 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)