Thread: Losing power in bends

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Losing power in bends

Last trip I did I noticed an odd behavior in my Patrol. I was going uphill on a winding road and noticed that on the bends the engine just seemed to lose power even if I put my foot down more. It was gradual loss, not like when limp mode kicks in (which I have experienced a couple of times). When the road straightened out, power returned. Quite an annoying effect.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I was wondering if somehow gravity was stopping the fuel pump from working at its normal rate or something like that. Interestingly it seemed to happen on both left and right hand bends.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Need more info mate... engine, transmission, mods, fuel etc?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm a suss fuel filter and or fuel pump/ pressure can be a cause of this sorta behavior.
    when was the filter last changed?.
    that would be my first pick.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as per ET
    what engine, fuel, mods, Transmission

what road............. Bulli Pass, the A32 up to Katoomba

these will help..........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this happen when people accidently leave their vehicle in 4 wheel drive on the bitumen. After a while you will get transmission wind up and your truck will lose power - especially around corners.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I have seen this happen when people accidently leave their vehicle in 4 wheel drive on the bitumen. After a while you will get transmission wind up and your truck will lose power - especially around corners.
    you'd also notice it's harder to turn corners especially in tight spaces.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah sorry guys, yeah. It's a 2014 GU Ti 3.0L CRD. Previous owner fitted a 3" exhaust, performance chip (CMD if I remember correctly) and a Pedders 2" lifted suspension setup. I fitted some BFG 285/75/16 AT tyres when I acquired the vehicle. No other drivetrain mods that I am aware of. The particular stretch of road was Macquarie Pass up to Robertson... long winding uphill for several kms. Was definitely in 2WD, so I do not suspect windup was involved.
    Have not noticed the problem since although my daily drive is pretty much all flat.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same drive today and the same thing was happening. Most noticeable on the hairpins where you have to drop down to second gear to slow into the bend, then accelerate again. Midway through the bend it just seems to struggle to push the car until it is on the exit side and you've been traveling in a straight line for a couple of seconds then power returns and it's business as usual. To me the effect is like trying to drive a petrol sedan up a steep hill in 4th gear - starts the bottom of the hill fine but then just slows down as it loses momentum.
    Definitely not direction dependent as I can confirm it happened on both left and right hand bends.
    Didn't happen coming back down the hill at all so I don't think there's anything in the drivetrain binding up although I'm running auto hubs... what would be the effect if they were malfunctioning?

Hmmm... I wonder? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...action-control
    Last edited by terra_australis; 29th November 2015 at 11:44 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some testing this afternoon and I think it may be the TCS doing it. When I turned the traction control off I had no problem with power on some similar tight bends. I'll do some more testing tomorrow on a more winding road. I thought the slip light on the dash was supposed to light up if TCS kicked in?
    Now I'm wondering whether my lift or bigger tyres may be throwing out the G force sensors or wheel speed sensors output.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to terra_australis For This Useful Post:

Robo (1st December 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your TCS also engage a diff lock? That would give the sort of symptoms you are describing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast