Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SD33T Injection Pump

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    I sthe electric shut off mechanism working? Do you know the one I'm talking about ? It looks like a wiper motor sat on the end od a gear drive with an arm and wires hanging out. It's on the block under the lift pump.
    Nah, he's deleted the edic motor and has some sort of vacuum on/off gismo, I think the problem lies therein!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Nah, he's deleted the edic motor and has some sort of vacuum on/off gismo, I think the problem lies therein!!
    I'd have to check I think there is a vacum thing on mine and still operates ( I now Know it's name) edic.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gents,
    Glow plugs working well, no gauze filters, loads of fuel and the pic. shows the old cut off switch which has been disconnected but not removed. Two excellent batteries so she spins around like a banshee..!!

No electric shut off on my old girl, just the vacuum one, working well.

Very little diesel coming from the IP and certainly not enough to start her. The control rack is moving but something is preventing the diesel from being pumped and compressed by the IP....on all cylinders together.

On the attached pic. you can see my troubleshooting setup. Using an old EFI pump good for 30psi and loads of flow (check out the return line) so no shortage of fuel going in to the IP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully will catch up with a mechanic this weekend who has an SD33T (a modern one with the EDIC motor..!!) and see what he says. Will keep you posted........just in case it happens to you...!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalmassi For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (30th March 2011), YNOT (30th March 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah as I'm intrigued""""

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so going on my mates old SD33td patrol.

You have a fitting on the fuel pump that has nothing connected. On his there was a mechanical primer pump. This had the fuel in line going to it (thro the filter banjo fitting) then it went to the fuel filter, from there the right hand side of the injection pump.

His has an electrical EDC controller and when this was faulty there was no diesel coming out. I believe if you move this fully to the right, it will be in 'start' mode. this mode will flow lots of diesel. Perhaps pull and wire it in this position to see if you can get the thing to fire. Normal operating was in the middle somewhere and to the far left was fuel kill.

I would firstly investigate why you don't have this primer, then look at bypassing the vacume control on the EDC

GL.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry mate, dident see page two.

looks like your test setup is all ok, my mates fuel pump was different to yours, it was more like this :

his did not have the fuel return in the pump, this is quite interesting.

If you can bypass the Vac pump EDC control.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to melts For This Useful Post:

jalmassi (19th April 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, never managed to see the mechanic but did managed to get her going. Not 100% sure why but here is what I think. there must have been air getting in and not being bled. We took her for a tow (back on the mechanical fuel pump) and after a few hundred meters she started. I then looked closely for leaks and saw the valve holders on the IP looked to be weeping (probably from me bleeding the lines left right and center) so anyway took off the fuel lines injectors/IP and took off the valve holders. Gave them all a very good clean and put them back on. before putting the fuel lines back on we cranked her over to visually inspect the diesel coming straight out of the IP. Surprise surprise only no.1 was working properly (coating the underside of the bonnet..!!). So bled the IP again and then all six firing. Put the lines back on pushed her down the drive and she started no worries. This time could not see any weeping at all and she was running sweet. I'm away from home for a week now but my darling wife turned her over yesterday and she started first pop..........so must have been an air leak from somewhere (I think) but after replacing the fuel lines it took a serious tow to start her but now everything appears to be good.
    Thanks to all for your comments and help, it's nice not to be alone when these gremlins strike.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now I'm going to tell you to check it when you get home. Start it on dry clean spot and leave it run 5 minutes. Look for puddle underneatn on ground. If lift pump looks like it's weeping, you will need to purchase the seal kits that go in top of the pump. It is a DYI job. I have done this to mine.

Tim

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for that. I'll check it next week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast