Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Shake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Lots of information on this on here. Unfortunately it could be may things..
    A few little tricks to try.
    Tighten wheel bearings and.go for a spin..
    if no good try greasing each rod one by one and take it for a spin after each one.
    The grease will short term pack any slop..
    If it still wobbles try removing the shims on king pin bearings and go for a spin.
    If it's still there replace the shims, and unfortunately that's the end of the free checks.
    If you do all that and it still shakes I'd. Start with bushes.. Panhard rod bush is the most likely culprit.
    And what makes it a right pita is if rear bushes are worn it can affect the wobbles to..
    Hi
    there has been plenty of good info on here. I will run down what has been done so far:

New Panhard Rod bushes. New tyres all round, fitted and balanced. New Steering Damper, New shock Absorbers, new spring coils all round. Steering adjustment. All tie rods, steering arms--anything that is underneath has been thoroughly removed and or checked. Wheel bearings are almost new, King pins supposedly fine but this is my next job-- for my own piece of mind they are being replaced. also shims.

If that doesn't work then a match might be cheaper.

Mrs H
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,682 Times in 3,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull a shim from the king pin side, top and bottom, one each side and re tighten. See if that fixes the issue..
    If it does then bearings need doing but just remeber where the shims go for when you re install..

You could also try tightening the steering box.
    On the top you'll see a nut and thread. Crack the nut and tighten the thread a little then re tighten the nut.
    Don't wind in to much or it will bind up
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 23rd October 2015 at 03:36 PM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (26th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Pull a shim from the king pin sides either top or bottom, one each side and re tighten. See if that fixes the issue..
    If it does then bearings need doing but just remeber where the shims go for when you re install..

You could also try tightening the steering box.
    On the top you'll see a nut and thread. Crack the nut and tighten the thread a little then re tighten the nut.
    Don't wind in to much or it will bind up
    When taking shims out, aren't you supposed to remove from top and bottom?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (26th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,682 Times in 3,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Um. Not sure. Now thinking about it it's probably best to keep everything centeral. .
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Think you are meant to take both out.
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnieh View Post
    Think you are meant to take both out.
    must take top and bottom out for even pressure.
    10,000k since i took mine out, and not a hint of the return of the death wobbles....
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (31st October 2015), threedogs (31st October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mrs H just wondering if you had a chance to take those shims yet

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quick warning if you tighten the screw on the steering box make sure the wheels are straight ahead or you will find it jams when returning to straight ahead
    It always must have a wisker of free play
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:

peterbr1 (31st October 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    must take top and bottom out for even pressure.
    10,000k since i took mine out, and not a hint of the return of the death wobbles....
    So my GU Patrol is doing the same wobble thing between 80-90kph. I've spent some time trying to figure out if it's the exact speed that causes it or not by driving at a constant speed along a flat road. It appears that it will start at maybe 82kph, but then remain for as long as you're ±8kph. Then it will start up again anywhere in that range. It's weird. If it always started at (say) 82kph then that might be significant, but it seems more to be about setting up the conditions once then always suffering the problem. Maybe I'm just over-analysing the issue.

--

Anyway, so it's going to a wheel balance on Saturday. As one mechanic said, "start cheap and work up from there." I like the cut of his jib.

I then found the videos that Jack180 linked to, and doing some reading, there are people with dire warnings about taking out the king pin shims. Now I don't want to cause expensive problems to happen in my car so I'm wary (though keen because free is such a great price). Has anyone removed the shims and actually had problems? Or are the warnings just precautionary "worst case" scenarios? 10,000k is good, but how are things after 50-100k or more?

Cheers
    Luke

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PullsyJr View Post
    So my GU Patrol is doing the same wobble thing between 80-90kph. I've spent some time trying to figure out if it's the exact speed that causes it or not by driving at a constant speed along a flat road. It appears that it will start at maybe 82kph, but then remain for as long as you're ±8kph. Then it will start up again anywhere in that range. It's weird. If it always started at (say) 82kph then that might be significant, but it seems more to be about setting up the conditions once then always suffering the problem. Maybe I'm just over-analysing the issue.

--

Anyway, so it's going to a wheel balance on Saturday. As one mechanic said, "start cheap and work up from there." I like the cut of his jib.

I then found the videos that Jack180 linked to, and doing some reading, there are people with dire warnings about taking out the king pin shims. Now I don't want to cause expensive problems to happen in my car so I'm wary (though keen because free is such a great price). Has anyone removed the shims and actually had problems? Or are the warnings just precautionary "worst case" scenarios? 10,000k is good, but how are things after 50-100k or more?

Cheers
    Luke
    The problems people say,,,, there are none, the only people mostly, who say there are problems with removing the shims are 4x4 mechanics, they know its a design fault with Nissans and Jeeps and are keen to make an easy buck, the wobble is caused from the front tail shaft, the long and short axles and the swivel hubs, the shims are a preloader more shims loose steering less shims tight steering, Nissan make it loose deliberately for comfort, I've been doing this mod for years and every major service (before a long trip) I check the king pin bearings and never once found any problems (Just out of curiosity what are the dire warnings) Still though im no expert so its up to you. The creator of this post 'who sounds like such a lovely person' spent a fortune trying to get rid of the "dreaded GU wobbles" her car is stock standard and guess what, it still wobbles and the mechanic is never to be heard from again. Something to be learnt perhaps. My 4 GUs I've owned in the past and now have all wobbled, so 45min in the garage, all fixed.
    --

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast