Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem losing power - is this my third MAF in under 1 year

Hi All,

I know there are a number of threads already on this topic... pardon me for starting another one.

I bought my Nissan Patrol 2002 GU 3.0Lit Diesel with a ZD30 engine in Jan 2015 at ~260000km
    after a few weeks it lost a lot of its power and started to 'screetch'. since I wanted it to get a proper full service anyways, I asked the question which was a good garage in Perth and was advised to go to Robson's brothers.

I took the car there and did the large service. they found that the turbo had a lead at the EGR, the air flow sensor was not working and $3500 dollars later I felt that I had a 'near new' patrol. along the way they also installed a DAWES valve to be guarded against the 'hand granade' going off

2 months later the power was gone again and I took it back. it turned out that the said the air flow sensor was gone again and I got another new one under warranty / reduced cost

now, 5 months later we have lost power AGAIN. feels like exactly the same issue as before

having read up on it and it seems that it might be worth simply cleaning the MAF with anything from special "Mass Air Flow Cleaner" to regular break cleaner, over buying a new sensor only on ebay for less than $30 to bringing it back to Robson Bros and possibly spending in excess of another grand or two...

do you recon I am risking anything by starting with a clean with break cleaner (which I have in my shed) and if that does not work getting a $30 sensor off Ebay, or do I risk doing serious damage...

Thanks for your feedback

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the maf and clean with maf sensor cleaner. Could be time to fit a catch can . How many Kays on it now since purchase.
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use anything but MAF cleaner on the MAF. Can you swap it out with someone before buying a new one? I would try a clean with the proper MAF cleaner. Don't forget to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a thread on here detailing how to test the MAF sensor, pretty straight forward.

If you want to clean it, which is an excellent idea if it hasn't been done for a while, then any name brand electronic cleaner is fine.
    CRC brand is a good one for example.
    AS prev posts advise, don't forget to reset the ECU so it re-learns the MAF curves

Don't, fall for the trap of cleaning it too often, once every 20,000 K's or so is oodles unless you have induction filter issues or some other contamination.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found the hardest part was moving the aircon gas pipe so I could get at the bloody thing.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    I found the hardest part was moving the aircon gas pipe so I could get at the bloody thing.
    Hehehehe... yep, not ideal is it.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    I used to pop the lid at the air filter, and the whole thing sort of lifts, due to to the bit of flex in the pipe below the air con line. Gives much better access to the MAF assembly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (25th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also check under the air filter lid and see if the o ring is perished which seales the unit and stops dirt and dust from getting in
    also the catch can is a very good mod because it stopes the fumes blowing back up the pipe to get onto the maf sensor
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

thanks for the responses.
    showing what a newby I am: how can I tell what GU Nr my Patrol is? I was told it is a GU4, however: I just took the MAF sensor out of the car and compare it against ones on ebay. the ones that look identical (mine has 5 pins) say that they are for GUI - III, so not the GU4...

It is a 2002 Patrol with the 3lit Diesel. on the rego it sais engine Nr ZD30090950 - not sure if that helps

Thanks for your help already

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another question: I read up on the 'which way up on the air filter' thread. however they talk about the 'foam side' and the 'rubber side'. mine looks different. one side is a square black firmish rubber seal going round the filter, 10x10mm in cross section. the other side is a flatish rubber seal that has several rings/lips going from inside to outside (2 small ones, then one bigger one then another even bigger one from inside to out), total hight 6mm, total width 18mm

any advice which way up. for now I am going square 10x10mm side up...
    thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast