Thread: Auto to Manual conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto to Manual conversion

Hi everyone,
    I might be considering putting some money aside so that at some point down the track I can do a conversion. I really like my rig, from the fog lights right back to the tow bar. Except for the trans. I strongly prefer a manual over an auto (except during heavy auckland traffic!!!) and was wondering how much head ache is involved with this kind of conversion. I understand that the inhibitor switch will need to be bridged, a new pedal plate installed, parts made and holes cut. But otherwise, will the manual trans just bolt? What exactly is involved with this?
    Very early days, only thinking about should I/shouldnt I.

Thanks in advanced.
    Dylan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done a Patrol, but have had this questions asked many times, and it depends on which car. I know lots of people who have done Falcons and commodores.

imho it's not really worth it, as in I wouldn't do it myself, some things you need to check into are:

-pedal box
    -tail shaft lengths
    -diff ratio suitability
    -if the manual ECU can be used/reprogrammed or maybe have to replace the ECU (you didn't mention which engine)
    -speedo drive/plug
    -gearbox mounts, may need a new x-member?

you would also obviously need a flywheel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to abeeke For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (8th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done a troll either. But I've done 2 falcons. I got all the factory manual bits.
    Gear box
    Flywheel / clutch
    Drive shaft
    Clutch pedal
    Interior trim / center console
    Ecu.
    Put it in and no problems. The tunnel holes match up and gear box mounts are there. Hardest part was putting the cluch pedal in. Which wasn't hard BTW.
    I'm pretty sure the man and auto in the gqs are the same length though so shafts shouldn't be an issue. Also it should bolt in the same holes as the auto. Cos they come out man and auto it would be stupid if they had to make 2 diff frames and body's just to put a different box in. Start by confirming you have the holes for the clutch booster in your firewall that'll show how easy the swap will be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to warner01 For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (8th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the clutch booster and cylinders I was a little worried about. There's not too much room and I may need to move some bits around. Its TD42 with aftermarket turbo. How much control does the ECU actually have? What does it really do? The electronics side of it aint my specialty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    20 odd years ago my friends and I thought it would be a simple job to convert from auto to manual in a VL commodore. Turned out to be a job bigger than Ben Her. If you are game and you can get all the parts from another Patrol then why not. Just remember it is a big job.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckertrucker View Post
    Yeah, the clutch booster and cylinders I was a little worried about. There's not too much room and I may need to move some bits around. Its TD42 with aftermarket turbo. How much control does the ECU actually have? What does it really do? The electronics side of it aint my specialty
    I'm guessing it doesn't even have an ECU on the engine?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abeeke View Post
    I'm guessing it doesn't even have an ECU on the engine?
    At this stage I really have no idea. I'll have a look tomorrow but I haven't seen one in there. Ive had all the wiring out, resetting and replacing relays and all sorts in there and never come across the computer. Where would it be. Im a 92 Granroad Safari 24 volt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking today and it really can't be that big of a job in a GQ??? The manual box is the same length as the auto, uses the same bolts as the auto for both the bell housing and the transfer case, the shift stick comes through the floor in the same place. I will need a new fly wheel with clutch bolts on it and Ill need a new clutch assembly. I wasn't aware the FS5R50A had a computer, only the P/N inhibitor and reverse sensor. And I'll need to move some minor electrical wiring to clear room for the clutch pedal - but I had a better look today and measured it to the right place in the firewall and where the pedal actually comes through there is plenty of space. The cross member that the gearbox crosses has the same bolt spaces between the manual and auto.

I could be missing something in here but as far as I can see it should be easy.

My grandfather has a nissan civillian and we're sort of thinking of doing a straight swap. I checked the papers and his manual trans is a FS5R50A and will bolt straight onto my TD, the hardest part will be for him to get the auto going in his bus. Lucky he's a shop mechanic - not just a lonely home mechanic like me haha...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can see u might miss. And its easy to forget until its all in bits and Ur like. Dam I need that. Is a spigot bearing for the crank. But I'd say go for it mate. And post pics.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to warner01 For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (9th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately gonna do it. The 92 TD42 is a mechanical diesel and the only computer in the truck is the TCU - and thats not a very intelligent computer anyway. So the only things to worry about are mechanical things. And the spigot bearing is something I totally missed. Hadn't even crossed my mind to be honest.