Thread: Steering Shake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys

No money to change hands yet boys.

Like I said I have had everything checked out and nothing was found. Nothing at all underneath needs to be replaced or taken out. Well-not yet anyway.

I am determined to find the cause of my problem and fix it rather than just put a bandaid on it and then maybe stuff something in the meantime.

I had a slight adjustment to my steering today and it is better but in no way has Steering been confirmed as the cause. That is why it is going to be investigated some more.

I have just had a call from a Local business who have come highly recommended so am taking it over next week. A test drive and full checkup to source the problem and have it corrected. It might mean spending a few dollars but if diagnosed and fixed properly in the first instance may save alot of grief down the track and alot more dollars.

From my conversations and knowing the experience of these people I am sure it is to do with Steering and wheels but cannot be confirmed as yet so hold onto your money guys and we will see who's right.

Will keep you updated on what is found.

Mrs H
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

Muttley (13th September 2015), threedogs (10th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    King pin spacers arent a cause vibration/wheel wobble though, removing them may help it though. But what issues can it cause by removing them

Over time things loosen up as so with the king pin bearings just imagine all that torque and weight in 2/4wd those bearings get, this is why the shims are there so when the bearings loosen up they can be re adjusted by removing them or adding them thicker, thinner, add or reduce preload. That's their job to shim, also a lot of people for some reason don't clean out the old grease and repack them, I've done this mod now for over 15 years and never had any dramas; with the shims removed those bearing can still take a pounding I've never heard of a king pin that has failed at all. Anyway I just bought this patrol around 6 months ago, patrol no. 4 and it too had the GU wobble I removed the shims and repacked them with high temp grease after a good cleaning and now it runs beautiful at any speed. Im not saying you must do this and im most certainly not infallible, a lot of people do this fix for e.g. intent4x4 on YouTube just to name one, still tho its good practise to check and replace any other worn out items along the way, this is not an argument just a stipulation and having said that I would just take the shims out if its fixed go with it if not then put them back in it will cost you 1/2 an hour of your time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peterbr1 For This Useful Post:

Muttley (13th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine has decided to start this crap - well so far over the last 6mths I've completely replaced all bearings, inc king pins - slightly tighter pre-load than spec on everything to stop mine - as well as panhard bushes, radius arm bushes, steering damper, next stop is wheel balance check, then on to all ball joints, steering box and if required uni joints - horribly frustrating... never did it until i fitted new tyres (of same size and brand that i'd previously fitted) so I'm very interested to know your results Mrs H...

i can't get over 86kmh - if i do it starts - and only gets worse as i get faster - ready to sell the heap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muttley For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (23rd September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well - I've had my GUVIII for just over 3 weeks. Only 70k on the clock.
    Tonight i have had a visit from the wobbles - between 75 and 100kmh
    Settles over 100km
    But my car has been parked at the airport for a few days, and when i returned and left the carpark i had to stop and check because i though my wheel nuts were loose it was shaking that much - settled a bit after 30 mins driving, but still there, just not as bad.
    I had a quick check when i got home.
    Don't seem to have play in the bearings, everything underneath seems ok.
    Steering damper seems to work fine

So would any of you suggest a balance and alignment, or straight to removing the shims?

I'm keen to try the "free" fix options i can do myself first, but perhaps i should get the balance and alignment checked before i start doing shims and bearings?

Had no issue until a few days ago, so unless its thrown a weight of the Tyre i cant see it being a balance issue, but i feel as if the steering has too much play in it.
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    Settles over 100km
    But my car has been parked at the airport for a few days, and when i returned and left the carpark i had to stop and check because i though my wheel nuts were loose it was shaking that much - settled a bit after 30 mins driving, but still there, just not as bad.

So would any of you suggest a balance and alignment, or straight to removing the shims?

I'm keen to try the "free" fix options i can do myself first, but perhaps i should get the balance and alignment checked before i start doing shims and bearings?

Had no issue until a few days ago, so unless its thrown a weight of the Tyre i cant see it being a balance issue, but i feel as if the steering has too much play in it.
    Try removing the shims you can always put them back if it doesn't work and the wobbles will loosen up the steering more and more over time inc tie rods bushes etc. etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peterbr1 For This Useful Post:

jack180 (19th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbr1 View Post
    Try removing the shims you can always put them back if it doesn't work and the wobbles will loosen up the steering more and more over time inc tie rods bushes etc. etc.
    Yep. Forecast some rain tomorrow so i reckon its garage day tomorrow. Ill give everything the once over and remove the shims and see how i go.
    On a drive today it was getting worse - so i need solve it.
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you go - a few hours in the garage today, removed the shims of both front wheels, and wallah -no more wobbles.
    Still a slight vibration right through the speed range, so in for a balance and alignment this week, but i think Ive cracked it.
    Gees, removing the shims also really tightened up the steering as well - a lot better to drive!

Cheers,
    Jack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:

peterbr1 (20th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear, I like the tighter steering too just feels better cheers mate. I wonder how Rhonda is doing with her car?
    Last edited by peterbr1; 20th September 2015 at 10:07 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peterbr1 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (23rd September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbr1 View Post
    Good to hear, I like the tighter steering too just feels better cheers mate. I wonder how Rhonda is doing with her car?

Hi all
    Nothing to report sorry to say. Other things have taken priorities this last week or so but Friday it is. Was pretty good until this week after i had the steering adjusted but its started shaking again and driving me nutty. I still think it is in the steering itself and needs to be adjusted properly or something is worn out and needs replacing.

Stand by for a full report.

Mrs H.
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

Clunk (23rd September 2015), peterbr1 (23rd September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    Settles over 100km

A friend of mine has some Malasian tyres fitted to his dual cab extended Patrol,
    if he parks for a few days his tyres go flat on the bottom and rattle the beegeesus out of the patrol
    till they go "round" again, just a thought
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast