Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Barry

Congrats on your latest purchase..

Switch wise, I have stuck the mouse switches that came with the spot light wiring looms to the dash on the LHS of the steering wheel just below the speedo etc. Really easy spot to access them. The only other switch I have in the front manually turns on 2 rear LED spots when I need to see a bit more out the back and for this I use really small 10A toggle switches you typically buy from boat shops. They are good because they fit inside the factory blanks and I have put it in the blank infront of the hand brake.

CB Wise I run the GME remote head unit which is stuck in the little recessed section infront of the cig plug sockets with the unit under the seat and extn speaker mounted to RHS of instrument panel. I always stick everything to the dash with VHB tape which saves you having to drill any holes in your new pride and joy.

I have had a 3" exhaust on all 3 of the patrol wagons I have owned. Never any overboost dramas only thing I found is that more air out needs more air in so found that for the 2 weeks I drove prior to the snorkel being fitted that there was a very noticeable lack of boost under 2K RPM. Fitted snorkel which is helping force air in and problem solved. I also run a high-flow air filter for same reason.

I use the redarc remote brake unit and have mounted the little button and led directly in front of the handbrake with unit under the drivers seat. This works a treat and is very easy to access for tweaking braking force on the fly. If you are going to drill here be sure to lift up the console and drill in the right spot though.

Same comments as others above about the heat in the engine bay and auxiliary batteries. There are after market trays which fit in there very nicely. I run a 179AH Sealed AGM Battery in the rear though as I have found over the years they don't typically like the temps under the bonnet. Most important thing with your battery is to get a DC to DC charger if you are running a deep cycle battery as typical dual battery isolater type charging systems are not capable of charging a deep cycle battery to its capacity from the alternator alone.

Hope this helps. Cheers Brad

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad_GU9 For This Useful Post:

Barra1 (14th August 2015), Hodge (3rd August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barra1,
    These ones come out from the back, NOT the front, so be careful with that screwdriver.
    Hard to explain - best to have a look yourself.
    I just pulled out the cowling around the gear levers to investigate this as it was the easiest panel to remove - and it holds both switches and blanks.
    It will be fairly obvious once you see them from the back.
    The switches are different from anything I have managed to find.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

Barra1 (14th August 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bush ranger - you are a legend. The area behind the console was removed, 4 screws, & the CB will definitely fit in there. I have been pulling my hair trying to find a place. thanks heaps. Will now look at/order either the 3540 or the ICOM CB.

Barra

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra1 View Post
    Thanks Bushranger & Bazzaboy - good tips = I agree with you Bazza - not switch friendly are they. My other patrol (2009 ute) has plenty of spots + plenty of panel blanks) but that's progress (I guess).
    had the REDARC Brake control unit fitted today, that was a typical "not too many places to put it" scenario, even with the remote type. Still looking at the best place (for me) for the CB - missus is leaning towards an overhead console but that is an extra cost that could be spent on something else. Ahhh well - off to go & sit in with a beer & contemplate what goes where.
    FYI .... I ended up mounting my Icom on the plastic panel directly below the steering wheel. It's out of the way there and you cant see it when your driving. My Icom has all the controls and speaker in the mic, and I only plug it in when I go away, and then I just sit the mic in the tray under the "flip open" dash panel.

Bazza.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys

I put my remote head Icom under my centre console, beneath the cup holders.

John
    2011 ST Patrol, ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch and IPF spotlights. Snorkel, UHF Radio. ARB air compressor and a front locker. Dual battery, Diff Breathers and 2" OME lift and 16" Black Dynamic Steel rims with muddies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12