Thread: MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Thanks
    Thanked 13,566 Times in 6,624 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da' maverick View Post
    nice work m/r. just about finished my gq build. you have inspired me to go further with the build
    Good on ya Mav....can i hear a build thread coming soon mate?

Post a thread and share your journey mate. would love to see what your doing with your GQ.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will do.i should of taken more pics on the way. but a wee little yarn will be posted soon.
    worked in tyre industry for 7 years. so any tyre questions just ask

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK well while the GQ sits in the back yard draining the oil i will post some pics of the suspension mods i did yesterday.

Yesterday i was able to line up a free 4 poster hoist at a local ARB dealer that i am friends with, Very kind.

Firstly, during the build i fitted 12 stage adjustable BOSS Shocks! BOSS stands for "Bit Of S@#t Shock." i blew 1 in the first 1000kms on the front left and the other spat its oil all over the joint before they were 1500kms old. They had very little compression preload and a ridiculous amount of rebound dampening that saw my wheels off the ground every time i took it out.

BOSS Shocks = JUNK!.

Secondly, i fitted a big lift and adjustable upper rear control arms to the back. When i fitted these i set it up to achieve the straightest possible pinion angle i could (Wrong) (a pinion requires about a 5 degree offset to give best performance) being straight gave the pinion nothing to do....

The idea of an adjustable trailing arm is to achieve the best setup for all of the suspension components ie, a nice straight spring without a big bow, a good pinion angle (5d), clearance around the tyres and best possible factory geometry.

Also with the upper control arms set that way they were the diff was rolled back and the springs bowed back. The shock mounted behind the rear springs was rubbing on the springs during extension.

The other thing that the shocks were hitting was the back of the bump stop base on the top of the diff. (read ROOTED)

Some close ups.

A heads up on this during the buy and prior to the setup would have been a real winner as i would have made the adjustments at setup. Damn it. Down a full set of shocks to find this out gets a bit average.
    Last edited by YNOT; 3rd April 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I fitted my Tough Dogs I had to cut about 10mm off the back of the bump stop plates on the rear diff to stop that happening.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now i hear you ask "Why do you need the hoist MR??" Well the Front Radius Arm Flexi-Bushes i fitted in the build 1500kms ago are ROOTED too!!! NOt happy Jan! The Rubber ones that i took out that Mr Nissan fitted some 350,000kms ago where like new by comparison to these.

Well i only have grass in the back yard at the moment and for safety's sake i wanted to do it on the hoist and had use of aq press while i was there===>> Bonus!

These pics will blow you away!! They Blew me away!

Bush #1

Bush #2

Bush #3

Bush #4

NOT MUCH CHOP HEY!

Trashed and Crappy.

OK Get this S#$t OFF my Truck!! NOW!

1500kms old!

Last edited by YNOT; 3rd April 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep as you say Tony have to go the chop mate, Shame i did not get a heads up on that or it would have been done at the fit up.

so here is the plate that is causing the trouble.

And this is what i am going to cut off it

Check out the placement of the brass brake tubes though = Be bloody careful with that angle grinder.

Didn't need that bit of steel anyways.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So out with the old

And in with the New

Suspension Stuff did me a great deal in kind for the crap i am taking off which s fair given that the sale took place 3 years ago and it all sat in a box for 2 years using all the warranty up. I reckon i got the replacement parts for Cost so that will do.

Here is the fit up of the new Pedders Branded Bushes

Look nice hey!

The Shocks are a Gas Twin Tube Suspension Stuff Branded variable Shock and i think they are Dobsons.
    There is plenty of clearance now with the plate cut and the Uppers adjusted

They look nice and feel completely different to handle and test than the BOSS.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    most of the fall over Body Roll that i had when driving around is now gone and the car feels great again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, Now some test pics. Fortunately there is a bit of public bush beside the industrial estate where the workshop was that i know very well and i had to go and have a play and a feel . Some things just have to be done.

So, It feels a little firmer, not as much body roll.

Go the Nissan Hand Brake!!

and i think it works OK?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,908 Times in 8,631 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great write up MR and photos!

That's looking a treat now mate, well done!

One of us needs to get our own hoist one of these days...LMAO

Page 17 of 187 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast