Thread: Fusable links.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fusable links.

Where are the fusable links situated on a GQ patrol?

When I first got the Old Trol, I replaced some crappy wiring (heat related) just near the positive battery terminal.

After reading that a GQ has fusable links, I am wondering if I replaced the fusable wires with ordinary copper. What amperage links should I replace them with?
    Last edited by mudnut; 19th December 2014 at 07:02 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bumpity bump....

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll have to have a look
    I had a fusible link on my last vehicle and it caused me grief at 4 years (looked all shiny outside but heavily corroded inside)
    Replaced it with a self resetting relay and had no more problems
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:

mudnut (21st December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mudnut, I'm looking for some info on the fusible links too. Since I've rewired my batteries, and my new battery tray holds my starter battery. Turns out the small wires I extended to my new battery are the fusible links, ooops...

I'm guessing you mean the 3 fusible links connected to the positive terminal of the battery, on mine, (1993 RB30 GQ), there is black, brown and green, connected to the pos terminal of the battery via a bolt on fitting joining to plastic connectors at the top of the bunch of connectors and wires on the firewall end of the standard battery. I've had a few pieces of conflicting info today, one said to wire in the new style fusible links, and colour coding suggested the black is 80 amp, brown is 50 amp and green is 40 amp. This sounded reasonable, so I bought the new style links. I was then told by someone else the black could be 100amp, and on my way home I stopped by the auto shop near me, there it was suggested these might be much lower, with the black around 24 amps and the others even less. I am now confused, so in the morning, I will be asking a local auto sparky who's been around a long time. Hopefully he'll have some info for me. If not, it's off to nissan I go, since I need to get this sorted. If I find out more, I'll let you know. If you find out before me I wouldn't mind if you let me know.

Cheers
    Last edited by Patrol'n; 21st December 2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Adding more info
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

mudnut (21st December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Cheers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day again, so I've been to see a few people today, nissan said they could order the links out of japan for the bargain price of about $151.00 or so for the three wires...... (Even they couldn't tell me the ratings though).

So after I was happy I wasn't having a heart attack, I went to the sparky. He told me he thought the amp ratings were in line with the colours I had matched in modern links, black 80 amps, though he suggested using a 100amp, brown 50 amps and green 40 amps. So as far as I can tell, that's the ratings, at least that's what I'll be installing. He also suggested using fuses not fusible links. I was thinking that's all good then, although he's not doing the work hence he also isn't accountable I suppose in the event it went wrong.....

I'm going to order some of the midi fuses, as they have good connections and are fairly tidy, and will install them once they get here, ebay is waaaayyy cheaper than the local shops. Sparky said my setup is ok in the meantime since I still have part of the fusible link in place, but I still want to pop in new fuses just to be sure.

Bear in mind I cannot give any guarantees on the above info being accurate, it's just what I've been told, and none of it in writing, so I would suggest others should talk to an auto sparky they trust, since I'm not qualified to give advice! Above is just my experiences thus far.

Therefore, if anyone out there can get better info, I'd be happy to listen :-)

Sorry, I couldn't get any better info out of my local contacts.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would use the following.

Black - 70amp fusible link.....connects to a large White wire.

Brown (headlights) - 30amp fusible link...... connects to a Red wire.

Green - 40amp fusible link.... connects to a White wire with Red trace

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mudnut (22nd December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, blokes. I will run fuses, as the fusable links were getting hot, that is why I unwittingly rewired them in the first place. That price from Mr Nissan is outrageous.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced a triple cluster of fusible links on my 80 series here in the US. Cost about $12 from the dealer. Oz pricing is obscene for a lot of auto related stuff.

Anyhow, I replaced the fusible links on my old MQ this past trip back to oz with Midi fuses. I had a fusible link failure in the bush that was 'fixed' with a few strands of standard copper wire, guesstimating at what was needed to maintain wiring protection and not blow instantly.

Regarding fusible links and Midi fuses, they are not fast blow. A fusible link takes many seconds (or even a minute or more) to blow at slight overcurrent (say 20% - 40%) and progressively faster at higher overcurrent. Midi fuses have a similar characteristic (google their time rating versus overcurrent) and so are a great replacement from fusible links. Also, it's easy to take a few spare Midi fuses along and are much nicer (with lugs) than the connector based fusible links. Make sure you do a GOOD/EXCELLENT job of putting lugs on where you 'insert' the Midi fuse/holder. Keep the Midi fuse/holder CLOSE to the battery since it is to protect the wiring from the battery due to a catastrophic short/failure in wiring etc (e.g. vehicle crash).

So, I do recommend Midi fuses versus the total dealer ripoff in oz. Fusible links do age and I've seen failures in other vehicles that are just due to age and corrosion etc and NOT due to over current. They are typically silicone covered to deal with the heat they generate. Yes, they DO get hot while in use since they have quite a bit of current flowing through them and they continue to get hotter and hotter (at overcurrent) till they burn out - hence the silicone insulation to protect the surrounding area from the VERY hot internal wire.

cheers,
    george.
    Last edited by georges80; 23rd December 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: dumb typo
    US: '97 S/C 1FZ 80 Cruiser White, locked^3,sliders,arb,kaymar,m12000,dual bats,King Remotes front/Radflo Remotes rear,LEDs,etc..... ki6ibx
    OZ: '80 T/C SD33 MQ Patrol White, locked F/R, rack,sliders,arb,tyre carrier,8274,dual bats,LEDs,etc....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georges80 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (23rd December 2014), Patrol'n (23rd December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's good info too, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast