Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The never ending suspension question

Gday Guys,

New around here, ill put up a post in the intro section.

Ive got a 2013 GU Auto, had it since new and have hit the 20k mark and suspension has sagged quite a bit so looking for 2-3" lifts but overwhelmed by
    all the available info and brands.

I had a GQ for 7 years and had OME 2" with the super sports on it, and always thought it was ok but nothing flash, and was never happy with the lift height also.

From talking to blokes and looking on the net im thinking king springs with either bilstein or koni shocks?

Not really interested in adjustables as i wont adjust them.

Not too sure about remote resorvoir shocks, have heard some good things but a relative unknown to me.

Basically im after a nice ride, reasonable flex and dont want them too sag after 6 months.

Car is a 2013 GU auto CRD, arb winch bar, domin8r winch, snorkel and full length steel rack.

I have 4 small kids and me and the missus so not normally too much load.

I tow my boat which is a 20ft fraser fibreglass on a tandem trailer with a ball weight of around 150kgs. It currently causes the stock suspension to sag
    about 15mm.

Cheers in advance guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,686 Times in 3,133 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on budget hey..
    How deep are the pockets??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im going to install myself, dont really have a set budget as i want to do it right the first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beast_GU View Post
    im going to install myself, dont really have a set budget as i want to do it right the first time.
    Even if you get it right, there will always be situations of your suspension not right for the task. I've been struggling to make a decision, the right decision for me.

I could be wrong but won't adjustable a help fine tune your suspension, giving you a better chance of getting it right.
    You may have to adjust 2 or 3 or even 4 time at the beginning, then just leave it
    Last edited by MEGOMONSTER; 5th December 2014 at 06:44 AM.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you plan on later fitting 35's, I wouldn't bother going over a 2" lift as it will start meaning lots more of your steering and suspension will need changing to match.

King Springs and Koni's or the Bilstein's is a good choice for general purpose.

The Koni 88's that I have fitted are quite soft without any adjustments and I recently adjusted them up just a tad for a little more firmness. They are brilliant on the corrugations and bush roads and give a nice plush ride around town.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me ill be doing mine sometime next year im going for 2" springs and 3" tough dog 45mm adjustable shocks that should look after me, my troll is mostly used as a tourer and towing but I also need to get places when I leave the van. kev
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 13,550 Times in 6,617 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a 3" OME kit on my. GUIV which is the same as yours. I have drop boxes on the front love it, would not change a thing.

I have Thad this kit for 150,000 kms and it's been used and performed very well.

15mm of sag when loaded is not really that much to be honest mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    15mm of sag when loaded is not really that much to be honest mate.
    if this is the main worry, when towing you boat

but airbags in the rear springs

you will be amazed
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought kings , after a lot of research on what weights I needed I ended up emailing Kings , detailing the loads I carry and what it is to be used for , got a response same day with part numbers and suppliers close to me ,
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys,

Has any one had any experience with the new ironman foam cell pros? looks the goods but cant find any info on the net.
    Think im going king springs in a 2" just have to find the right part no's, and deciding on which shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast