OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Redarc Tow Pro Brake controller.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 3,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

I use Tekonsha's but nothing wrong with the Redarc for a Tvan, Cuppa.

A minor correction to a previous post is that the Redarc units use tri axis Accelerometers not Gyroscopes but no biggee.

In auto mode the unit is a fully proportional automatic controller IE it applies the trailer braking effort in the same proportion as the vehicle braking effort without any intervention by the user.

In user mode the braking effort is controlled by the user IE it isn't automatically proportioned so needs to adjusted every time the surface or the incline changes.

In manual override it acts as a drag on the trailer to very effectively dampen trailer sway IE it brakes the trailer but the vehicle can run on.
    Very handy if you get gusty winds or some other force that destabilises the trailer.

Redarc or Tekonsha is kinda Ford or Holden really
    I find Tekonsha easier to use but not as versatile to mount
    Accelerometers. That's the word I was looking for.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew what you meant Kallen.

The proportional manual override sounds worthwhile, but for a big car there is very little available space in the cab chassis driving cab which does make the Redarc attractive. After years of old hack box trailers with override brakes that rarely worked I suppose either Tekonsha or Redarc could prove to be a revelation!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa,
    I've got the Tekonsha and used the manual override on a couple of steep descents on the Bloomfield Track. Very happy with it and highly recommend it.
    As for mounting it in the cabin it sits next above my left knee, doesn't get in the way and easy to operate.
    Let me know if you want to have a look at it before you make a final decision.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apollofish View Post
    hi cuppa,
    i've got the tekonsha and used the manual override on a couple of steep descents on the bloomfield track. Very happy with it and highly recommend it.
    As for mounting it in the cabin it sits next above my left knee, doesn't get in the way and easy to operate.
    Let me know if you want to have a look at it before you make a final decision.
    x2 cuppa i have one as well and happy with it
    pulls our camper up nicely

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X 3 on the Tekonsha very happy and easy to use as well
    under the dash on left hand side

Had one on my other 4x4 as well.
    great for downhill braking too highly recommend
    Last edited by threedogs; 18th November 2014 at 02:32 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X4 lol and sounds like everyone puts it in the same position.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X5 . I have one in my patrol and an older model in my Triton. I tow a 640 hard top Bar Crusher and in the Triton it's super important to be able to pull it up. The manual operation is good to override any swaying. Never had an issue with either Tekonshas.
    I plan to live forever................going well so far

Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had good service from both Redarc & from Autolecau in Bairnsdale over the years so I’ve bought a Tow Pro from them. Have to collect it from the Post Office later today.

A question to those of you with brake controllers - the manual says “Always refer to vehicle manufacturer specifications regarding the correct connection point for the brake light signal wire” . Can anyone tell me where I would find these manufacturer specifications, or alternatively tell me where you connected your controller to the brake light circuit?

Ta
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I’ve had good service from both Redarc & from Autolecau in Bairnsdale over the years so I’ve bought a Tow Pro from them. Have to collect it from the Post Office later today.

A question to those of you with brake controllers - the manual says “Always refer to vehicle manufacturer specifications regarding the correct connection point for the brake light signal wire” . Can anyone tell me where I would find these manufacturer specifications, or alternatively tell me where you connected your controller to the brake light circuit?

Ta
    Cuppa
    Lots of vehicles now have bulb fault detection and/or cruise control brake sensing and/or other issues that mean you cannot use the brake pedal switch.

I recently wired my new Ford Terry and my personal preference is to pick up the brake sense from the trailer plug on any vehicle now (even my 99 GU).
    That ensures that you are connecting after any of the necessart "black box" trailer circuit isolaters which means no need for relays, load resistors, isolators or whatever.

You have to run the blue Trailer Brake power wire from the trailer plug to the Controller so it is no biggee to run a second lighter gauge wire as well for the sense
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x 6 or whatever - left knee - Tekonsha

all of the reports I have heard on the Van forum I am on, say the Tow Pro - "is the way to go".............

from a Vanning perspective, the ability to manually adjust the breaking force for the van while in an emergency (like the Tekonsha) is the least of your worries at that time (on bitumen)
    the New Tow Pro will automatically throw the brakes on in an emergency faster than you would be able to - think it, react to it, and apply it -

however, for steep, slow descents, a manual over ride is good.

you will be happy with the Tow Pro

once fitted, you need to find a long straight road (with minimum traffic) for it to self set.....
    as you drive along you will notice the light will say "auto un set" or something........as you drive along, it will apply the brakes at certain points and certain pressures, then the light will go to the "ready for action" colour
    (not 100% sure of colours and meanings, as I dont have one - only what I have read about them)

but, as I said, I have not heard of anyone complaining as yet

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th November 2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast