Thread: Electric Brake Controller

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    That's no problem at all. In fact on modern vehicle's that's standard procedure. You can actually purchase aftermarket wire harness to suit.

Such as this http://www.autoairparts.com.au/wp-co...rake-Cable.pdf
    Thanks, that's great!

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will kick yourself later on not going with a unit that is a good as Tekonsha.
    For the sake of a few dollars the G-force extra no argument wins hands down.

Being able to set the amount of brake is easy.
    But having it self adjustable is a Real extra that pays dividends the first time you need to brake harder that the inital setting.
    Needing to brake harder than inital setting, with a lesser unit, the trailer is then pushing you onwards and your not totally in control.
    Yeah you may get an over ride switch, but it's about reaction time.
    You can get lucky and have sufficient time to react.

Having to brake all of a sudden and then remember to go for the over-ride switch when times in short supply, your then not concentrating on the rd and taking a hand off the wheel and possibly eyes off the rd also.

On the open rd you may never need the g-force option, but get into any town and some clown props in front of you!.
    Then again out on the open rd & skippy jumps across the rd.
    Are you putting the Family in the car?.
    m2cw
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed my Tekonsha today.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I now have Tekonsha Primus controllers in my Patrol and Territory.
    At $75 they are the cheapest of the Tekonsha proportional braking model range.
    I chose the Primus because I am a cheaparse and also because I only have one trailer with elec brakes.
    Piss easy to mount, do the wiring and the calibration is set and forget (for one trailer) or a little fiddly if you have a couple.
    Works awesome on my 2 ton van.

I believe the other Tekonsha models like the Prodigy etc are preferrred if you are using several trailers of differing weights, one trailer with widely variable load or extra axles (up to 4) as you can select different setups via the menu, could be wrong tho.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Prodigy and its never let me down. I quickly set it depending on the load in the trailer and forget its there, it just does the job and the proportional breaking based on the rate of deceleration works well. Hit the breaks hard and the trailer pulls up just as hard, take it easy and the trailer does as well.

J.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123