Thread: Engine swap vs cab swap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine swap vs cab swap

Hi all

This is my situation. I had a tb42 wagon that I cut up into a ute, a project still ongoing but nearing completion. During the time it has been off the road, I was so bored being unable to take a fourby for a spin, I bought a td42 wagon.

Now, I would ideally like the td42 in the ute.

So, which is eaiser? A cab swap or an engine swap? Both car are fully regoed and running. It will be a complete swap over, with the diesel going in the ute and the petrol going in the wagon. I plan to sell the petrol wagon afterwards. Both vehicles are in similar condition, both drivetrains are in good nick.

Any suggestions, thoughts, past experience greatly appreciated

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,934 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

I would think it would be about 50 50 each way as far as the amount of work is concerned. I did help a mate with a cab swap on his hilux a while ago, and it wan't too bad and I reckon the GQ should be pretty straight forward as long as you've got the facilities to lift it. The only bonus in doing an engine swap is that you get a chance to put in a clutch and rear main while it's apart.

The other thing you need to suss out is what needs doing in regards to the rego, especially as you are going to sell. In know in Vic engine conversions are straight forward with Vic Roads (staying factory) not too sure about cab swaps but I know they are commonish. Just need to suss out whats the case in QLD.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Punderhead (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks rossco. I believe I will need a mod plate for the swap, but I thnk they are easy to get as the car came from factory with those engines. When doing the swap on your mates hilux, what hidden issues were there if any?

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,934 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cab swap on the old lux was fairly straight forward really, a lot easier than expected. We didn't run into any dramas really, I just remember lifting it off and we forgot a couple of things, but if you take it slow and watch everything it should be right. We just did it with a block and tackle slung up between two trees, then rolled out the chassis. GQ wouldn't be much more complex just heavier.

Also thinking about a cab swap the engine and chassis are stamped with numbers but not the cab so shouldn't be too much of a drama with the rego you would think.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm i would personally do engine swap over cab i think it would be easier. remember the loom goes in to the cab and would need picking and unpicking from the chassie. in saying that ul needa swap over all the emission cr#p from the petrol one to the next body as they have different emmision set ups.
    just thinking the loom will needa be swapped anyway.
    hmmmm i think id still go engine and change looms while the motors out. there probably not too much different anyway.
    Good luck is all i really got to offer after all that lol.