OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Knocking noise when slowing down.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knocking noise when slowing down.

Hey all ,

Got a problem with the GQ and rather than take it to a mechanic as I usually do I want to try tackle this myself over my holidays and maybe try learn something.

The problem is a noise when coasting to a stop. Sort of like you would have with a flat spot on a tyre or something out of round or grabbing when slowing down. Its directly linked to the speed of the veichle and only when coasting to a stop. Sort of like da.da.da..da...da......da........da............... da.

It only happens some times. and can feel a vibration through the gear shift when it happens.

I get it when in gear, out of gear, clutch in, cluth out , so I dont think it coming from the gear box or clutch. At first I though it was coming from the front end but now I'm thinking mid veichle.

Any ideas where I should start looking.

Many thanks,
    Dan
    #1. 2007 Walkabout, Auto, 2" EFS lift, DP chip, 3" Exhaust, cross country intercooler, front and rear diff locks, manual torque convertor lockup, bulbar, IPF driving light, Dawes valve, Boost, EGT and transmission temp gauge, 80 Channel UHF, Black widow storage system, ARB duel wheel carrier. 215 Litre fuel. #2 GQ 95Ti TB42e.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,453 Times in 6,270 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wheel bearing?

DIAL-A-TAP

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 3,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tail shaft clear of stuff wrapped around it?

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also look on the inside of your tyres you may have blown the sidewall out causing a bulge.
    But going with Westy something caught Maybe even rocks in between disc and rim,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDan View Post
    Hey all ,

Got a problem with the GQ and rather than take it to a mechanic as I usually do I want to try tackle this myself over my holidays and maybe try learn something.

The problem is a noise when coasting to a stop. Sort of like you would have with a flat spot on a tyre or something out of round or grabbing when slowing down. Its directly linked to the speed of the veichle and only when coasting to a stop. Sort of like da.da.da..da...da......da........da............... da.

It only happens some times. and can feel a vibration through the gear shift when it happens.

I get it when in gear, out of gear, clutch in, cluth out , so I dont think it coming from the gear box or clutch. At first I though it was coming from the front end but now I'm thinking mid veichle.

Any ideas where I should start looking.

Many thanks,
    Dan
    Mine is doing the same, did you end up finding the fault? was it an easy fix?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a similar problem before and just before I would come to a complete stop I would get a really good thud, turned out to be wheel bearings shot.