OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Big Trip (I come to you), May to September, most states and territories

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Across the gulf - drop into Karumba and have a coldie at the sunset Tavern, Do the Normanton - Burketown Road, Leichart River, and the gulf road into the NT. Alternatively skip Burketown etc. and drive down to the 4-ways, up through Gregory Downs and onto Lawn Hill and the gorges, then drop down to the bitumen just shy of Camoweal.

The gulf road through Hell's gate up to Borrolloola (McArthur River) is a good drive, but there aren't many places to camp along the way any more. The couple of homesteads that used to cater for it have closed their doors for various reasons. Woologorang Station used to do it but has closed now I think. I think you'd be able to camp on the far side of the Calvert River still. There is a little spot up the far bank on the RHS. The Calvert River is shallow and worth a stop for a cooling dip in the rock pools. The Robinson River, a little further up the road is also not a bad spot for a swim if nice and clear. Have never heard of crocs around there, but you never know.

Lawn Hill and the gorges really are a must though.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (10th July 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again FNQGU for all the tips. Was awesome to meet up and go camping. What a special spot you got there! 3 days, 2 nights long campfire is the way to go!

Does anybody else want to meet up for a cold one between Cairns and Kununurra?

Kimberley planing:
    I won't have as much time there as I wanted but hope to drive north from the Gibb. Any suggestions there?
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123