Thread: zd30 oil pressure?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry zd30 oil pressure?

Another problem with the GU. Driving to work today, changed from 1st to 2nd and I hear a sound like a turbo blow off, then the oil light comes on. Get out check under the car and there is oil everywhere, approximately lost 0.5L. Found a hose to the oil pressure switch not connected and put it back on. Tow it home this afternoon, degrease, top up oil. Strip down everything surrounding the belt to try and identify where the oil came from and can't find anything. Ran it for about 5 mins to warm up the oil and I still can't see any leaks, oil light is still on. There is also now a new noise coming from the top end (i assume) somewhere, sounds like a high pitch tick. Ive been over the manual and it doesn't look like it could be anything obvious.

Im worried theres an oil pressure problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me at all? At this point with the turbo going then 5th gear going and now this problem I'm getting over it and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the light coming on. I would not have refired until you have a gauge on it. The top end tick is probably because it legit has no oil pressure. 5 minutes with no oil pressure will have close on ruined it.

Get a gauge on it. ASAP

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dales300exc For This Useful Post:

Rickie3 (15th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you owned the patrol?
    Found a hose to the oil pressure switch not connected and put it back on.
    I certainly wouldnt have ran it that long, if the oil light didnt go out in the first few seconds of starting you should have shut it down.
    Ran it for about 5 mins to warm up the oil and I still can't see any leaks, oil light is still on.
    There is also now a new noise coming from the top end (i assume) somewhere, sounds like a high pitch tick
    My guess is the cam shaft and rocker gear running dry has caused damage.
    I would say your oil pump has either a blockage or has failed, I seen first hand where a mechanic had used high grade red silicone to seal the sump gasket and had used excessive amount of sealer and the silicone had worked its way through and blocked the journels and destroyed the engine, i'd be checking the oil pump first

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a GU what ???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 minutes without oil pressure is a long time.
    but at idle I think you would be safe.
    I reckon its probably shit a relief valve, so its all doing what it should, but just bypassing out the relief. Have had this happen on a fresh rebuild, rather frustrating.

DO NOT run it until you can get an accurate oil pressure reading.
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here