Thread: Aftermarket turbo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B rad View Post
    you guys all clearly know more than me which is why im here and im willing to suck it up but the guy that is working on mine has a 4.2 which does desert enduro racing and says his comfortably can sit at 6000 revs all day long thus being why I chose him and I guess my truck goes well I will get the accurate figures and im sure will surprise
    Good work B rad, and I hope that you can contribute as well as glean some knowledge from some of the guys.

PS : I don't have any issues as I only have a pissy little CRD now ......

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 1st March 2014 at 09:18 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Avo (1st March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    glad your going to hang around,mate this forum is a wealth of knowledge..I've got a turbo'd 4.2(gq) and wouldn't have a clue what it would do..might have to find out one day,had it for years aswell..
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys all clearly know more than me which is why im here and im willing to suck it up but the guy that is working on mine has a 4.2 which does desert enduro racing and says his comfortably can sit at 6000 revs all day long thus being why I chose him and I guess my truck goes well I will get the accurate figures and im sure will surprise
    Thanks I was only stirring the pot. Figures and some experiences would be great to see
    Cheers
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice B Rad that's the attitude, you may learn something now. 6000rpm is possible but our rocker system gets very unstable with the valve spring loads we need to use with our TD hence why our very smart Nissan engineers has set the rev limit to 4600 to 4800rpm these guy really do know their stuff. But roller rockers do help, at these sorts of revs we loose proper valve timing so it all get a bit odd with our very high compression ratio compared to a petrol engine so our cam timing needs to be a hell of a lot tighter. Besides that, the cam is completely out of sync with that sort of rev net alone having valves opening and closing being delayed. But you can lift the duration a bit and extend lobe centres to adjust to this rev. But like everything what you gain up top you loose down the bottom, basically making out TD quite useless for a flexible 4x4 torque generating monster.

For a desert racer sure you could try to make the heavy weight TD with its long rod length and heavy weight reciprocating items do this rev obviously its not meant to produce power at this sort of rev this is the realm of the newer EU diesel engine with its short stroke short rod length double over head cams and 4 valves per cylinder ECU controlled multi pulse direct injection. And absolutely useless in a 3 ton 4x4 that is fun to drive as a daily driver in manual format.

Basically our TD is an old school engine, dirty as hell, and really it does a good job at producing power way beyond the designers had intended with the Mods we are doing now days. But it does have its limits and our crank is its weak link after 180-200rwkw but it is possible to extend this a bit further with STD internal but not a lot. 300rwkw usable maybe achievable one day but it will require head mods beyond my knowledge and a crank to suit. Our TD is not about revs this is a silly way to go it is outside logical engineering for its design structure. Our TD is about torque in the 2000 to 2400 rpm area or our cam's sweet spot. To do this we have to generate KW's otherwise it is impossible to get extra torque so really what I am saying posted Kw's is a product of torque to get torque the by product has to be Kw's. With skill and knowledge you can extend torque build without to much of a Kw's rise by increasing volumetric efficiency and still stay within the cam rev range and 6000 rpm is way outside this and just silly. Our cam will not extend Kw's or torque for this rev it is dropping off radically after 4000 rpm as internal pressures and reciprocating weight losses come into play. You only do this if your gear box is ill matched for the engine or your torque rev band is too short, both of these traits are not our TD so the logic for this rev is unfounded.

To give you a real life example in March 1990 I modified my brand new never driven by me maverick, I pulled out this new engine and blueprinted it and I mean really silly blueprinting and balancing, due to a bet and to silence many critics and to make sense of my own ego I math out a fuel and turbo air requirement to generate 200rwkw, as that was me being very young and silly but my ego and bet wouldn't let go. A bit like you B rad but I had some knowledge and a well educated math brain. I achieved my 204rwkw on 33 inch tyres and 4.373 diff ratio in 4th gear for the then $1500 bet. But I can tell you this was only a dyno queen it was impossible to drive on the road it had lag like you have never seen and smoked liked those US truck pull rigs and took about as long to wind up and was probably slower than a N/A diesel patrol in a quarter mile. And I am sure I could easily math out a 300rwkw dyno queen for you and with the same impossible driveability.

In closing KW's in a diesel doesn't make for a fast drivable rig but one that can match its cam with enough fuel and cool oxygenated volume boost air to get 800nm at 2300 rpm is one really quick and fun to drive diesel, especially in a daily driver patrol. But to make use of this torque we need gearing to match the torque otherwise it feel like a 6.5 chev on a patrol manual gearbox it doesn't have enough gears lol and it feel slow and is slow so the Mods are never ending when you start down this power hungry phenomenon.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldMav For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (3rd March 2014), Alitis007 (2nd March 2014), FNQGU (22nd May 2014), Robo (8th March 2014), Sherro (9th March 2014), Stropp (2nd March 2014), Winnie (2nd March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OldMav theres not many people out there like yourself that try and get proper figures and truly understand what effect they have on their cars, all they after is big hp numbers on a paper to say " look how powerful my rig is". At the end of the day its all for the wank factor lol to show off to people who don't know any better

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oldmav the the depth of your explanations astounds me. Always a good read, even if I only absorb 1% of it, it's all about those 1%'ers. Thanks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys but truly this stuff isn't rocket science, most of it is logic and a understanding of the processes of the internal combustion engine. I have a hard time trying to explaining this stuff it isn't my forte. But it does really annoy me to see obvious miss informed info posted on great patrol forums. I can be a bit wrong at time but it is mostly in how I try to explain this stuff I never did very well at English and the written word.

Much of the key to usable power/torque for our TD is in the I call 1%er's, these little things add up, or accumulate to better driveability or better torque rise and flatter torque curve. Killerwasps only don't make a good diesel engine for our heavy 4x4's but a flexible progressive torque curve with gearing to match does. There are sooo many little things we can do to our engines to improve flexibility or to extend the usable torque and yes they are 1%er's but they are the things you feel in the seat of your pants this stuff is torque. Much of what I go on about like intake manifolds and induction system changes on the other forum is all about moving or extending the torque rise, for example moving the peak torque curve back 50rpm without a increase in torque you will feel this but to increase 20 rwKW's at 3800 rpm you cannot feel and for most of us we never even rev our diesel engine to 3800rpm so really this sort of power is useless, and just wank value.

I am not having a dig at B rad and i apologise to him but so many people get hocked up on silly things like B rad, he was thinking wow this guy must know his sh#t he has his diesel engine revving to 6000rpm, little does he know any TD will rev to 6000rpm actually it will rev to destruction, all you have to do is wind out the full rev screw this will extend the revs and obviously extend the max fuel that can be pumped due to revs if there is enough fuel say a 12mm pump and enough boost air then yes it will rev to destruction, no rocket science here no diesel whispering, just a everyday 10mm spanner. Most of us have seen a dyno chart have you ever wondered why they all stop at about 3800 rpm? Pretty easy really because the Kw and torque are dropping off radically because the cam and internal pressures with reciprocating weight loads are counteracting power development. So there is no point in risking a engine failure revving our engine past this point. What would be the point to rev the engine out another 2500ish rpm to see our Kw's and torque decrease to idle power/torque values. It sort of goes to show B rad's admired tuner has only enough knowledge of his TD to be dangerous as for 300rwkw well that's just fantasy at this present time, 300 lbf.ft/s or Hp or 223.7 kw is a reality now days. For me to admire a TD tuner I would bow in his presents if I saw a dyno graph with a torque curve with 700rwNm average between 2000 and 2800 rpm with 28 psi and the lowest AFR of 16. And there is a guy on here and the other forum who has near done this with a turbo I consider absolute crap, ill matched, completely wrong and never should be considered for any diesel, admittedly it is seriously modified. Goes to show what can be done to the mighty TD with 1%er's and a thirst for knowledge.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldMav For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd March 2014), Alitis007 (3rd March 2014), Sherro (9th March 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who & where is your tuner bro?.
    And his car should be on vid some where's?.
    just want the facts please.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234