Thread: Clutch stuck to pressure plate?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch stuck to pressure plate?

Hi all. Here's one for you. My mate and I went out yesterday to find some mud and the strangest thing has since happened. My mate noticed his clutch 'slipping' and free revving whilst in gear. We got back to his place and it all seemed to be fine, however a short time later, I lost all go in every gear. It feels as if I've tore the centre out of my clutch. Full
    Of clutch fluid and no punchers in the lines. Both master and slave cylinders are working properly. Both gq patrols, one 4.2 diesel, mine a 4.2 petrol.

I've been digging up some research and apparently if water/mud gets inside the bell housing it will cause the clutch plate to stick to the pressure plate, keeping the clutch 'disengaged'?
    I just thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys reckon.

Cheers Glen.

1993 Gq. 5 inch tough dog lift by snake racing, 35's mickey Thompsons , winch bar and winch, 100w hid lightforce lights, roof console, fridge console, recaro seats, rear drawers with pull out camp kitchen and fridge, roof tent, barn door table and light, reversing camera, tinted windows and a whole lot more i've forgotten about.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,881 Times in 8,624 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you taken the bung out of the housing to see if water is in there?

Happened to me a while back, no gears pulled bung out and full of water.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory RLI had the same issue. Nissannewby fixed it for him and it was quite simple, I'll see if I can find the thread.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys. I can't do a lot at the moment as the truck is nearly 300km away from me this week while I'm at Tafe. When I get home at the end of the week I'll check it all out

1993 Gq. 5 inch tough dog lift by snake racing, 35's mickey Thompsons , winch bar and winch, 100w hid lightforce lights, roof console, fridge console, recaro seats, rear drawers with pull out camp kitchen and fridge, roof tent, barn door table and light, reversing camera, tinted windows and a whole lot more i've forgotten about.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok problem solved. I read up about this problem a bit more. They say to, with water, flush out inside the bell housing from beside the clutch fork whilst in neutral and the engine at idle speed. This will wash out most of the mud and stuff inside the pressure plate and clutch plate. Seemed to work fine for me. As I took it for a drive down the road it just got better and better. Drove it just on 40km and it's just feels normal now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen 93 patrol For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 3,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top outcome mate. Bet you were a bit worried to start with..
    Any idea how the water got in??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really worried about getting the gearbox out as they are huge. And I also have rego due in 2 weeks so I wasn't looking forward to replacing the clutch with little time to spare, just incase things turned to sh!t.
    I went through a big hole, didn't seem that deep, and that was the end of it.
    Guess I'll be going out on the tracks in the dry from now on.
    Glen.